Rating 5 V
jessin
post Nov 18 2004, 01:19 PM
Post #46

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,382

QUOTE(Gashole @ Oct 26 2004, 07:37 AM)
It is said Philosopher's Stone is the main ingredient that can do that, but no one ever found it. (Hey, is this the same Harry Potter's Philosopher's Stone? biggrin.gif)

yes! It is the same philosopher's stone! And the legend of the philosopher's stone is quite faithfully reproduced in that book. The stone could make anything turn to gold and make a magic youth elixir.

And, THe Nicolas Flamel DID supposedly create the stone! Nicolas Flamel was a real alchemist in England in the 16th century. He supposedly found a way to create the stone, because there was one day when he just up and vanished. He donated all of this suspicious gold (he wasn't a very wealthy man to begin with) and then he and his wife disappeared. People for over 200 years after that claimed to see him walking around in various places, and in the 1800s in France there was a person who claimed to be Flamel, to swindle people out of their money. (He was selling 'magic' elixir.)

The "science" is really quite fascinating!

--------------------
"Ima wa....ore no jinsei no haruuuuuuuu!!" XD
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pheonixXII
post Nov 19 2004, 05:22 PM
Post #47

Citizen

Member No.: 2,549

I think they came to a good conclusion

--------------------
Save a tree eat a beaver... dont ask

+Quote Post
hitokiri
post Nov 20 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #48

Brigadier General

Member No.: 650

QUOTE(Hakura @ Nov 5 2004, 05:30 AM)
http://www.levity.com/alchemy/home.html
This is a very good site on Alchemy, I like it a lot ^^  Did you all know that back in 1980 I believe a man actually transmuted lead into Gold ^^ it was only a very little bit but it was done =)

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/conten...?recordid=57426 <-- read about that here ^^

yeah i knew about this but if i remember correctly other than the fact that it costs too much to be effective i think i read somewhere that another problem that was encountered that the gold would have be radioactive, due to the process, in larger amounts that is

--------------------
peace,

hitokiri

------------------------------------------------------------
"argh...my neck is one gargantuan monkey fist..."
- J. Peterman -

+Quote Post
Guest_The Full Metal_*
post Nov 21 2004, 10:07 AM
Post #49

Guests

My hatred sitedbzm98@hotmail.com

I just started getting into all of this but what people talk about in Full Metal Alchemist have the same basic concept of real alchemy.

+Quote Post
Rin Daemoko
post Nov 23 2004, 05:02 PM
Post #50

Citizen

Member No.: 2,731

There are two generally accepted forms of alchemy. There is the ever-familiar external alchemy which deals with literally turning lead into gold, and such. Then there is internal alchemy which is the transmutation of the lead-self into the gold of spiritual awakening, or Enlightenment.

Alchemy also did not just exist in the West, as many here seem to think. It was also present in China. The goal of many Taoists is/was to attain immortality. Those who practiced external alchemy looked to the injestion of poisonous materials in order to preserve their bodies - they fatally drank mercury.

Those Taoists who practiced internal alchemy came up with qi-gong, and tai chi. The emphasis of internal alchemy was the use of breath, the life force, or chi, to attain immortality.

There is a copy of Arthur Waite's alchemical book at my University's library which I have been meaning to take a look at. Is anyone here familiar enough with quantum physics to viably fuse alchemy and QT? In alchemy, one breaks down existing forms to rebuild them. I'm sure with quantum physics, one could skip the breaking down of existing matter, and just create new matter from pure energy (which there is an abundance of in the Universe).

--------------------
I am the "who" when you call "who's there?"

+Quote Post
DarkWater Alchem...
post Nov 29 2004, 12:03 PM
Post #51

Alchemists

Member No.: 1,273

QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Oct 28 2004, 05:51 PM)
I'm surprised at the amount of people who don't even know who Nicholas Flamel is.  You mention him, and they say, "You mean the one from Harry Potter?"  But they get all surprised when you tell them that the Harry Potter books are not where he's FROM, but rather, the books just make note of him.

And then you get bombarded with: "WHAT!?  He's REAL?  Does that mean Harry Potter is REAL!?"

People are nuts nowadays.

True, that's why there are so many books written about the HP books, people trying to explain where all of those names/creatures come from. There's more to HP than you might think.

Metal really turned to gold? I wonder if it was real natural gold or something alike that needs a secure research for it's atomic structure. I sucked at chemistry so I would be a terrible alchemist anyway. I don't wanna be poisoned by quicksilvergasses laugh.gif

--------------------
~Guardian Angel of the Shonen-ai Royal Family~
Blessed with Sin: member of G.O.O.P. *hyper about bishies*
deviantart gallery - Divine Crisis

+Quote Post
knuckles_79
post Dec 5 2004, 01:58 AM
Post #52

Citizen

Member No.: 3,250

huh.gif well actually alchemy was started by the old wiccan religion... thought to be witches ohmy.gif poor little stupid people... lol. if only everyone understood wiccan beliefs the world would be a better place... we are not witches! blink.gif anyways they started they whole elementalistic studies which led into alchemy... hence the use of elements... oh yeah also wizardry sotra had an influence on it... who'd a thunk, lol.

+Quote Post
OsirianAlchemy
post Dec 9 2004, 08:46 PM
Post #53

Citizen

Member No.: 3,467

QUOTE(Gashole @ Oct 26 2004, 07:37 AM)
A pseudoscience in the Middle Ages of transmuting the more worthless metals into gold. It is said Philosopher's Stone is the main ingredient that can do that, but no one ever found it. (Hey, is this the same Harry Potter's Philosopher's Stone? biggrin.gif) Eventually it leads to chemistry, though some alchemists remain faithful to the original study.

Damn. You beat me to it, though actually it wasnt only focusing on gold. It was an attempt to change matter from one form to another. Because back in the day, they thought everything was made of the same material (which isnt alltogether wrong, its all atoms but the atoms vary from element to element based on the quantity of Protons, buetrons, elctrons, etc.,

+Quote Post
The General P.
post Mar 29 2005, 10:06 AM
Post #54

Citizen

Member No.: 10,694

So I saw a topic on alchemy (some kid wanted to do it), and I am taking chemistry now, so I decided to put a few things you should not do at home. (I also like to blow stuff up)

1) When ED fuses sodium (Na) with his auto-mail, and hits his "mother", she blows up. Now, this is real, but in the metallic elements in the Alkali family, the elements become more reactive as you go down. Fr is radioactive, so good luck if you can get some, but Caesium (Cs) is the most reactive non-radioactive metal. Touch water with this, and it instantly fuses with the Oxygen, and releases Hydrogen and heat (sweet). Usually the H (Hydrogen) will detonate, showering all with water and Cs.

--- there are a ton of other things you can do, but I might get in trouble if I put them on... This is just an "explanation" of what happened in the movie.

& here is a website with movies on Chem. experiments...

http://chemmovies.unl.edu/chemistry/beckerdemos/BDdesc.html

cool.gif

--------------------
戌は おいしい です.

+Quote Post
Philosopher'...
post Apr 6 2005, 05:32 PM
Post #55

Citizen

Member No.: 11,277

I found this essay online about alchemy and the concept of the Philosopher's Stone. It seems to fit in quite well with the spirit of FMA.

http://www.quackgrass.com/stone.html

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Apr 7 2005, 09:11 AM
Post #56

Guests

I'm really appreciating you murdering my thread by putting it onto another thread BECAUSE "it's the same thing". I don't want to have to base my own thread on what was previously written here, on some crass assumption that I'm gonna regurgitate everything we already know about what alchemy is, and how it works in FMA.

To Mister Wiccan:
Chill on the social commentary about Wiccans because nobody cares. How cliche can you get? "If we all understood basic facts about <insert race/religion/gender>, the world would be a better place." I'm tired about people whining about how unecessarily hard they have it because other people are clearly stupider they are.

Alchemy was not invented by Wiccans and that has mostly to do with the simple fact that its a relatively new religion. The whole "neopagan" thing sort of implies that. Who thought of themselves as a pagan during the middle ages? Seriously? Nobody needs to hear about how much of a rebel you are, we've all been there.

+Quote Post
Quistis88
post Apr 7 2005, 12:26 PM
Post #57

Executive Officer (Spam Assassin)
Group Icon

Group: Moderating Admin
Member No.: 16

QUOTE(Guest @ Apr 7 2005, 10:11 AM)
I'm really appreciating you murdering my thread by putting it onto another thread BECAUSE "it's the same thing".  I don't want to have to base my own thread on what was previously written here, on some crass assumption that I'm gonna regurgitate everything we already know about what alchemy is, and how it works in FMA.

You're very welcome. You don't have to base your own post on anything already in the thread, but because it pertains to the same subject, the merge happened. As long as you make your point clear that it is not a regurgitation, then no one will think it is one. If everyone started a new thread for their own descriptions of alchemy, then we'll have a thousand threads lying around that says practically the same things. We can't really have that.

--------------------
SINCERELY,
Quistis
(Forum Spam Assassin, Vice-Mother, and Queen of the Grammar Police)

This sentence says something else when you're not looking.

+Quote Post
Destati
post Apr 9 2005, 04:07 PM
Post #58

Citizen

Member No.: 11,471

Besides all the other stuff... now I feel more enlightened about the show. aka I understand more! XD

--------------------
[center]*----*
user posted image
.No Promises.
.No Guarantees.
.No Regrets.
[/center]

+Quote Post
Philosopher'...
post Apr 10 2005, 01:03 AM
Post #59

Citizen

Member No.: 11,277

QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Apr 7 2005, 12:26 PM)
You're very welcome.  You don't have to base your own post on anything already in the thread, but because it pertains to the same subject, the merge happened.  As long as you make your point clear that it is not a regurgitation, then no one will think it is one.  If everyone started a new thread for their own descriptions of alchemy, then we'll have a thousand threads lying around that says practically the same things.  We can't really have that.
[snapback]148383[/snapback]

One might think that because I'm not basing my post on any previous discussion here that, yes, it is in fact, a different subject. It could be that I wanted to discuss the philosophy behind the series and expand upon the original post, thereby becoming a topic in its own right?

+Quote Post
funkytunes
post Apr 11 2005, 09:18 AM
Post #60

Citizen

Member No.: 11,610

QUOTE(jessin @ Nov 19 2004, 03:19 AM)
And, THe Nicolas Flamel DID supposedly create the stone! Nicolas Flamel was a real alchemist in England in the 16th century. He supposedly found a way to create the stone, because there was one day when he just up and vanished. He donated all of this suspicious gold (he wasn't a very wealthy man to begin with) and then he and his wife disappeared. People for over 200 years after that claimed to see him walking around in various places, and in the 1800s in France there was a person who claimed to be Flamel, to swindle people out of their money. (He was selling 'magic' elixir.)

The "science" is really quite fascinating!
[snapback]37197[/snapback]

Interesting...so he's rich when he created the stone...did he lose a limb or legs, when he became that? blink.gif than, he and his wife disappeared? Maybe, they traveled trough the GATE lived there? hahahaha, just like in FMA, right?

BTW,Wow, thx for the Info...way to go, dude!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th June 2016 - 01:38 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css