Rating 5 V
Quistis88
post Oct 26 2004, 07:27 PM
Post #31

Executive Officer (Spam Assassin)
Group Icon

Group: Moderating Admin
Member No.: 16

I also see Alchemy as the basic foundation for modern-day chemistry. biggrin.gif

--------------------
SINCERELY,
Quistis
(Forum Spam Assassin, Vice-Mother, and Queen of the Grammar Police)

This sentence says something else when you're not looking.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Momo
post Oct 27 2004, 08:53 AM
Post #32

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,640

I think it partly was the base of modern chemistry; but the other part was about transmuting worthless metal into gold with the Philosopher's Stone (like Gashole said) but to reach eternal life with it (P'sS), too.
<- looks like one part was real research and all and the other part was just like an impossible dream (isn't there a word like 'utopie' oder 'utopia' or so?) or something like that...

+Quote Post
coldasice
post Oct 28 2004, 12:57 PM
Post #33

Citizen

Member No.: 1,630

Alchemy... The ancient science of chemistry.. Yea, they believe that the philosopher's stone can turn any metal into gold, and produce the elixir of life. One alchemist named Nicholas Flamel (Yea, the same as the one in Harry Potter book) claimed that he has made the philosopher's stone. Of course, no one believe him, and in the end, Flamel died. However, he died in wealth...

Maybe I'll consider making another rambling on the history of alchemy..

+Quote Post
Gashole
post Oct 28 2004, 03:59 PM
Post #34

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 685

Now that I know what the Philosopher's Stone is, I may want to reread Harry Potter. biggrin.gif

Too bad in the U.S. they changed it to the Sorcerer's Stone. Why is that?

+Quote Post
Quistis88
post Oct 28 2004, 05:51 PM
Post #35

Group Icon

I'm surprised at the amount of people who don't even know who Nicholas Flamel is. You mention him, and they say, "You mean the one from Harry Potter?" But they get all surprised when you tell them that the Harry Potter books are not where he's FROM, but rather, the books just make note of him.

And then you get bombarded with: "WHAT!? He's REAL? Does that mean Harry Potter is REAL!?"

People are nuts nowadays.

--------------------
SINCERELY,
Quistis

+Quote Post
Gashole
post Oct 28 2004, 09:16 PM
Post #36

I didn't even remember Nicholas Flamel was in the book. laugh.gif
Sometimes I wonder why I even bother to read a book when I know I'm just going to forget everything within months (oh, heck, 2 weeks).

I hope those people who think Harry Potter is real are kids. Otherwise the United States has a problem.

+Quote Post
Quistis88
post Oct 28 2004, 09:35 PM
Post #37

Group Icon

They were pre-teens . . . at least 10+. Some were around 13-15. Sad, eh?

--------------------
SINCERELY,
Quistis

+Quote Post
Jenius
post Oct 29 2004, 10:22 AM
Post #38

Citizen

Member No.: 1,675

Flamel was very poor and ended up becoming extremely rich (from in his books he said he had created gold from mercury or something) it is a mystery how he became so rich, and also, he lived till 117 or somewhere around that which was extremely old in those days (most people died at 60) so maybe he managed to stay alive much longer than his usual death time because of the elixer he created and then his soul rotted away and he eventually died (like in fma tongue.gif ).

+Quote Post
Full Metal Kayat...
post Nov 1 2004, 06:19 PM
Post #39

Citizen

Member No.: 1,726

I heard that there was this thing called the Elixier which I think is a different version of the Philosopher's Stone. The Elixier was hypothesised to be made by crystallizing Urine dry.gif ... It was said that the crystallizing of urine can change silver into gold. When they did that...there was a glow of the Urine which excited them that it would be the elixier, yet sadly, it didn't work....so yeah...just imagine with the Xenotime episodes in episodes 11 and 12 (Gravel Earth Part I and II) that instead of the red liquid...it'd be urine....the substitute of the Philosopher's Stone.....so a whole stream of urine...everyone would get sick from that even more than the poison of the red water....

+Quote Post
Senefen
post Nov 3 2004, 06:04 PM
Post #40

Alchemists

Member No.: 519

[quote]Hey, is this the same Harry Potter's Philosopher's Stone?[/quote] Ha ha, yep Ling (in the manga) is after the elixer of life like Voldy was.

[/quote]The Elixier was hypothesised to be made by crystallizing Urine[/quote]
You get phosphrus from urine which glows and is the main ingredient in matches. The guy who invented matches never told anyone how he did it and made oodles of money because they were pretty easy to make.

Alchemy: the science of transmuting matter from one for to another biggrin.gif. Alchemy was when they believed everything was made up of four elements (none of which are elements so to speak ^^) earth, wind, fire and water. It became chemistry when they discovered that the elements were actualy carbon, oxygen, hydrogen etc. The age of protons, neutrons and electrons.

+Quote Post
Guest_midevilchemistrygeek_*
post Nov 4 2004, 02:45 PM
Post #41

Guests

[FONT=Courier][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]I think alchemy is a way of explaining the unexplainable way back then, dry.gif but does anyone kno were can study it. Like a web site or something?

+Quote Post
Guest_Hakura_*
post Nov 4 2004, 10:30 PM
Post #42

Guests

http://www.levity.com/alchemy/home.html
This is a very good site on Alchemy, I like it a lot ^^ Did you all know that back in 1980 I believe a man actually transmuted lead into Gold ^^ it was only a very little bit but it was done =)

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/conten...?recordid=57426 <-- read about that here ^^

+Quote Post
Gashole
post Nov 4 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #43

QUOTE(midevilchemistrygeek @ Nov 4 2004, 02:45 PM)
does anyone kno were  can  study it. Like a web site or something?

Don't bother, it's only a pseudoscience. That's like studying astrology or fortune-telling or something. I like learning about it, though. Magic just fascinates me. cool.gif

+Quote Post
lunatik
post Nov 5 2004, 06:31 PM
Post #44

Citizen

Member No.: 1,894

Hi,
I think that the "Alchemy" which constist in "obtaining gold from ordinary metal" is now known as "Cold Fusion", since Pons and Fleischmann
announced that they "transmuted" Deuterium[D](stable isotope of hydrogen[H]) into Tritium[T](radioactiv isotope of H) without the need of "big" power like Nuclear Fusion with Uranium235(exemple huh.gif ) (fission to break nucleon then fusion ..)
Now lots of "scientists" are on this since years by their own (i mean no help from governments...).
The main aim of Cold-Fusion for the moment is to get Tritium from that Deuterium without Thermonuclear Reactions dry.gif ...
Nobody believe it but i "heard" that parts of the army(don't know which one ^^) were studying this now (not sure at all !!)
It could take years and years (centuries!!) before we could do something like that and use it to make energy or what... i personally think that it can be possible.

by the way i've just watched the last episode of fma ... it's so sad sad.gif

(i'm not english so i'm sorry if i"ve made some mistakes !!!)

+Quote Post
True FMA
post Nov 9 2004, 06:05 AM
Post #45

Citizen

Member No.: 2,042

Read my sig...I've got the definition.

--------------------
Main Entry: al·che·my Pronunciation: 'al-k&-mE Function: noun Inflected Form: plural -mies:
the medieval chemical science and speculative philosophy whose aims were the transmutation
of the base metals into gold, the discovery of a universal cure for diseases, and the discovery of
a means of indefinitely prolonging life —al·che·mist /-m&st/
noun —al·che·mis·tic /"al-k&-'mis-tik/ or al·che·mis·ti·cal /-ti-k&l/ adjective

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2016 - 08:07 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css