The Complete Theory Of Alchemy, Its long and its spoils
Rating 5 V
Shrimpusmaximus
post Sep 27 2004, 08:33 PM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 740

Alchemy, it is the science of rearranging matter from one form to another, but because it is a science the laws of nature still apply. One cannot gain something without a sacrifice of equivalent value.

That aside the true nature of alchemy is accurately described by the opening statement. There are several fundamental laws that must be obeyed. In addition to the laws there are rules that though they can be broken are for the most part written in stone. There are three or so basic laws.

The Law Of Energy
-This law states that no matter what there must be balance and nothing ever happens without a price. Energy for Alchemy comes from human souls. Even the most basic transmutation burns the energy of a soul to achieve the effect.

The Law of the Gate
-Within every human being is a link to the nether called the gate. The gate can swing two ways. First it can open into a person and the souls of the dead can flow through them providing energy for alchemy. Second the gate can open from the person to the nether, this occurs on death, upon the severing of the soul and the body, and in certain other circumstances. When the gate opens into the nether it takes something from the person.
- Every human has a limit to how much energy they can draw through the gate. This determines the strength of the alchemist. In all circumstances this energy limit is less than that of one whole soul. If the energy limit is surpassed the gate swings first into the person granting them energy, beyond their limit and access to the minds of all who have ever died, then it swings back into the nether and balances out the energy. Depending on the circumstances a person may lose part of his body or may be pulled beyond the gate in entirety.

The Law of Control
- Energy brought through the gate has no purpose until it is given one. Through an array the energy may be commanded to perform a task. The array acts as a pattern to focus the mind into certain pathways, and depending on the nature of the array in question it allows for the transmution of one or many substances. However the actual control comes from the human mind. It controls the transmutation and a persons free will can be used to influece the outcome of the transmutation.
- If one has been gifted with supernatural or gate granted knowledge doesnn't need an array and can by creating a circle with their limbs transmute to their will with the circulated power.

Onto the rules, they are more guess work and less certainty and also the characters of the show are less bound by them.

The Rule of Human Transmutation
-Every human has a soul and thus attmpts to transmute the human body as a whole require more energy than any one human has by the second law. Transmuting of pieces of the human body are within possibility depending on the transmuter.
- As long as there is the same quantity of human life at the end of the reaction as there is at the begining there is no problem. For this reason chimeras don't impinge, normally, on the ruel.

The Rule of the Philosophers Stone
-Human lives can be obtained from the world around as well as through the gate. Utilizing lives already in the world to power a transmutation doesn't cause the gate to open wider than a person can handle and thus removes the limits from a persons transmutation up to the quantity of power stored in the stone.
- Until a critical mass of the stone is assembled the stone changing it from a stew of souls to an ordered matrix power drawn from the stone is chaotic and limited. Delicate operations like binding a soul to a living and souled body are impossible. Creation of a human from nothing is similarly impossible.

The rule of Homunculus (this one I'm dancing on a tin roof)
- A failed human transmutation that holds enough life to continue its existance is a homunculus. A mind and body bound together they have no soul. By drawing souls into themselves from an outside source they can slowly alter their bodies.
- Homunculi once mature can alter themselves with whatever shadow of the soul their creator sacrificed. They however have no gate to open and thus need energy externally to fuel their actions.

I have pages more thoughts but they are no longer coming out. So feel free to state why you think my theory is horribly wrong and I will either point out how you failed to understand/read what I wrote, or I will fill in the hole with more writing. Even if I have made mistakes I feel that I am tip toeing around the edge here. Its THE Full Metal unified universal continuity in alchemy theory. FMUUCAT!!!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Beowulf
post Sep 27 2004, 09:39 PM
Post #2

Citizen

Member No.: 721

Interesting read. Pretty plausible too, good job.

+Quote Post
odoridan
post Sep 27 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #3

Citizen

Member No.: 199

Very nice. I think you should have held off your theory until the end of 51 because I think it will break any theory right now. There are lots of gaps to fill in and you did nicely but they will surely explain things a bit more in 51 since Ed will no doubt have some after-life voyage.

What happens to all those body parts that get sucked into the gate when someone performs human transmutation? Why are they taken by the gate? Your theory is lacking there.

edit: Hrm, I think I read in a another post about your theory that the gate swings outward at first and then inward during human transmutation. That would explain the body parts being taken if it were some sort of backdraft. But still, what happens to those parts? Are they used up as fuel for alchemy? Hohenheim says Al could theoretically get his back so that would suggest the parts are not used as fuel for alchemy. Although maybe Hohenheim wasn't 100% certain since he was reasining through equivalent trade which he didn't know yet that it is crap.

Why did Wrath get Ed's parts and not, say, Al's or Izumi's or Scar's brother's. Maybe it just happend that way?

Some other question that may be a bit off topic about the gate:

My question is what are all those eyes and hands in the gate? In particular, what is that giant eye? We are shown that Wrath was one of those "eyes" when he took Ed's arm and leg. So I would have to assume that those eyes are not human souls waiting to be consumed by alchemy.

Another edit:
Homunculi once mature can alter themselves with whatever shadow of the soul their creator sacrificed.

Meh? I don't understand this. huh.gif

+Quote Post
Queen of the dam...
post Sep 28 2004, 02:08 AM
Post #4

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 511

Hey! This a theory that I can actualy grasp! Good job! biggrin.gif

--------------------
We live and then we die. This in inevitable. What you do when you live is up to you.

+Quote Post
Prinz_Zoisit
post Sep 28 2004, 12:15 PM
Post #5

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 30

i find it always very strange that alchemists are talking about a "soul"...
this "soul" is like "energy"(like light->no atoms)which is produced when gamma-rays are emitted from a radioactive atom, or what?

--------------------
IPB Image

"Two things fulfill my mind with always new and increasing admiration and reverence the more frequently and continuously i think about it busily:
the sky full of stars above me and the moral law inside of me..." (Immanuel Kant)

+Quote Post
Guest_Japanda_*
post Sep 28 2004, 12:18 PM
Post #6

Guests

I dunno, I'm just throwing out ideas here.
Since Ed's world knows about "old" religion...I'm guessing that the religions that must have passed through the gate through other people....

Say if it were our religions that we have today in this world...

Maybe it kinda goes something like this:

Ed's world |<--gate{Purgatory}gate-->| Our world

In most religions that believe in Heaven and Hell, purgatory is that place in between. Maybe the shadowed figures behind the gate are souls in purgatorty. They desperately try to grab peices of people so they can live again, which would be heaven for them, rather than losing their souls forever because of alchemy, hence eternal death: hell.

But it seems wierd if you really think about it...is our world then supposedly made because it has to be used by the other world? We don't have alchemy so what do we get when the gate swings our way?

Wait....reading my theory doesn't make sense now. The only ones that can pass through the gate are homunculus right? And there's only seven of them? Hmm...eh.....

+Quote Post
Virtue
post Sep 28 2004, 06:13 PM
Post #7

Citizen

Member No.: 433

Spoiler: (Click here to Display)

Just a thoery, I doubt they will reveal anything new in the final episode sadly >__<

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Senefen
post Sep 28 2004, 06:19 PM
Post #8

Alchemists

Member No.: 519

i find it always very strange that alchemists are talking about a "soul"...
this "soul" is like "energy"(like light->no atoms)which is produced when gamma-rays are emitted from a radioactive atom, or what?

Gamma Rays are produced when an atom has excess energy or is unstable because on an imbalance of protons and neutrons. Theoreticaly it it possible to produce them by giving an atom more energy. Just as giving electrons more energy causes them to just shells and release light when they return to their original shells (this is how fireworks work).

The "soul" used to power alchemy - the soul is needed for a controlled reaction. Just as you need heat to turn fuel and O2 into CO2 and H2O. Because atoms will generaly stay as they are unless affectred by an outside force the soul is used as an outsidse force to make them change shape, state, form and properties. Thus a "soul" from the gate is used the same way as heat, light or energy to control a chemical reaction.

^^ nice theorys, they seem to all work pretty well.

+Quote Post
Socom
post Sep 28 2004, 08:20 PM
Post #9

Citizen

Member No.: 717

QUOTE(Virtue @ Sep 29 2004, 01:13 AM)

Just a thoery, I doubt they will reveal anything new in the final episode sadly >__<

Course not. Why should they make an ending that makes sense? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Chibi Viki
post Sep 28 2004, 11:04 PM
Post #10

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 32

btw, guys... just a reminder, notice the spoiler tag on the menu when you add in a reply? next time that you'll type in a spoiler, please use the spoiler tag instead of yellow text. thanks!

--------------------
- Moderator Emeritus -

+Quote Post
Shrimpusmaximus
post Sep 29 2004, 09:55 AM
Post #11

Citizen

The thing about homunculi is there is one big big fault in their execution. I love the anime and however good a job the manga is doing I am convinced that thing is doing just as good or better. However without father the mark of Ouroburos is a hole. Wrath had the mark before he ate the red stone. However the series is leaning toward the idea of the mark being the manifestation of the creatures sin. A seal that degenerates them into their sin. Until this is sorted out there can't be a complete theory on the homunculi.

+Quote Post
EditDeath
post Sep 29 2004, 10:35 AM
Post #12

Citizen

Member No.: 813

Perhaps the ouroburos is a representation of their dormant sin until the red stone activates that sin? Which means that Dante found a way to make the sin all consuming through the full activation of the ouroburos. Makes you wonder how she knew how to do that, though. There a former sin we don't know about?

--------------------
"Whadya do? Magic? Some kinda sex beam or somezing?" - Lead Mercenary

I don't know but I've been told, Eskimo **** is mighty cold." - Lead Mercenary
"Great Barmy Pillock!!" - Sera Victoria

~Hellsing manga, volume 3

At last, a mercenary who's not p.c......

+Quote Post
Shrimpusmaximus
post Sep 29 2004, 11:25 AM
Post #13

Citizen

Well Dante names the sins which is pretty good evidence that they are her 'pets'. It makes sense that she would inscribe them with a means of control. The puncture marks and the tattoo. However alchemy is older than dante and that means more homunculi, did they have an ouroburos? Did they ever eat the red stone?. I can't believe that there can onlybe seven and I can't believe that the 'universe' gives them the tattoo, cause thats kinda odd.

I don't believe the homunculi are sinful at all until they eat the stone and remember the gate. Before that they are odd but innocent creatures, no worse than any human. Eating the stone does provide a personality shift so there is eviednce that that might manifest the ouroburos mark, however wrath had one before that. So I think the best course is denial. I think that the mark on wrath doesn't exist prior to the red stone...... Yes thats it.....

+Quote Post
odoridan
post Sep 29 2004, 03:07 PM
Post #14

Citizen

Member No.: 199

QUOTE(Shrimpusmaximus @ Sep 29 2004, 06:25 PM)
Well Dante names the sins which is pretty good evidence that they are her 'pets'.  It makes sense that she would inscribe them with a means of control.  The puncture marks and the tattoo.  However alchemy is older than dante and that means more homunculi, did they have an ouroburos?  Did they ever eat the red stone?.  I can't believe that there can onlybe seven and I can't believe that the 'universe' gives them the tattoo, cause thats kinda odd.

I don't believe the homunculi are sinful at all until they eat the stone and remember the gate.  Before that they are odd but innocent creatures, no worse than any human.  Eating the stone does provide a personality shift so there is eviednce that that might manifest the ouroburos mark, however wrath had one before that.  So I think the best course is denial.  I think that the mark on wrath doesn't exist prior to the red stone...... Yes thats it.....

I think we can work around the Wrath problem because he is special. He has human limbs which allow him to do alchemy.

When Wrath was created, he looked like an abomination like every other homonculus. I assume that once he got the limbs, he could use the power of alchemy to complete his form. Just like other homonculus use red stones to complete their form. So, I think the tattoo may just be part of the final form and the red stones corrupt them. (Perhaps even through the tattoo?)

So my explanation implies that the universe gives them the tattoo and you say it's odd but, that might just be the nature of the homonculus.

I think the fact that there can only be seven homonculus directly contradicts Dante naming them and they will never be able to fix that blunder. That's probably the shows biggest plot hole. Oh, I think it could be patched up with a crazy theory but it would be guaranteed to be lame so why bother.

+Quote Post
Shrimpusmaximus
post Sep 29 2004, 04:55 PM
Post #15

Citizen

Well the thing is that I can accept that the universe gives them the tattoo, but the function it seems to serve for Dante feels way too specific. I acknowledge that wrath is special and I won't use him as further evidence but.... Man that is just too strange.

I know that there can be more than 7 homunculi. dante just doen't have them in retinue and no one else has a backlog of the red stone to feed them.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2016 - 02:57 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css