HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

21 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
FMA Manga Question Thread!, Post your questions for FMA manga here!! (Spoiler Alert!)
teeniv
post Sep 25 2007, 01:06 AM
Post #91

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 48,877

What exactly was Ed's leg and Al's body a passage fee for? To get the body of that "thing"? And if Al's body was taken to the gate, and after his soul was rejected by that "thing" the soul too went to the gate, when Ed tried to bring Al back, why did he only get the body back and not the soul if they were at the same place? And my last question. Al's mind is currently with his body on the other side right? And his mind is what connects his body and his soul correct? Just wanted to confirm that.

Just read chapter 74!! It's friggin awesome!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheRainbowConnec...
post Sep 25 2007, 10:49 AM
Post #92

Apprentice

Member No.: 45,133

QUOTE(teeniv @ Sep 25 2007, 01:06 AM) *
What exactly was Ed's leg and Al's body a passage fee for? To get the body of that "thing"?

Not only that, but also for the soul transmutation itself. It costs a bit to (try to) embed Al's soul into that "thing".

To be honest, I'm not sure how much (if any) of the "payment" was for making the body of the "thing" itself. I know that it's (very) dangerous to use the anime for insight into alchemical principles in the manga, but Ed transmuted (anime!)Greed's body during their last fight, and he did it without losing any body parts in the process. This would suggest that the "expense" of a human transmutation lies in trying to affix the soul. The transmutation of the body itself would seemingly not require such sacrifice, as Homunculi and humans are human in (almost) all physical respects but only lack a soul. Once again, this is all drawn from the anime and is therefore probably moot, but oh well.

And if Al's body was taken to the gate, and after his soul was rejected by that "thing" the soul too went to the gate, when Ed tried to bring Al back, why did he only get the body back and not the soul if they were at the same place?

Uh, he missed? More than likely, Ed didn't know if Al's body was over there. He only knew that he could try to tether Al's soul in that suit of armor. Remember, Ed only just (in Ch. 53) figured out that Al's body is alive and (sorta) well and sitting in front of the Gate.

And my last question. Al's mind is currently with his body on the other side right? And his mind is what connects his body and his soul correct? Just wanted to confirm that.

Just read chapter 74!! It's friggin awesome!!!

Yes, yes, and yes. smile.gif

+Quote Post
teeniv
post Sep 27 2007, 12:41 AM
Post #93

Citizen

Member No.: 48,877

Thanks!!
And you're right about the greed thing, Ed does the same thing on sloth, changing her into Ethenol. (of course all anime)

And i have one more question:P (sorry if im bothering you guys!!!)

In alchemy, when you decompose a substance, and reconstruct it again, you can change its properties, correct? Like transmuting stones into gold, and metals into other metals etc.

How exactly is that equivalent exchange?

And if transmuting stones into gold (two completely different substances) is possible, i could think of a hundred things Ed and Al could have transmuted to save their butts!!!

I initially thought that the substance you rebuild had to consist of the same elements (including that part with greed in the anime. He converted his diamond-like carbon in his body into graphite, thus making it way softer.)

But then i read about the stone to gold thing again in that mine chapter and realised its like transmuting something into something totally different with no similar elements. If that's true then mustang could've just turned the water everwhere into petroleum or something even more flammable than splitting up the water into hydrogen and oxygen (In the chapter where he kills lust). And if this was true in the anime (and it is, as Ed keeps changing the metal on his automail to keep scar guessing, and also when he turns sloth into ethenol) he could've just turned Greed into cotton instead of graphite!!!

+Quote Post
TheRainbowConnec...
post Sep 27 2007, 02:49 AM
Post #94

Apprentice

Member No.: 45,133

teeniv:

Uh...I find it best if I don't try to think too much about the specific mechanisms of alchemy. No matter what, at a certain point, logic breaks down because (let's face it) alchemy doesn't exist and do not abide by real-life chemical and physical principles. Therefore, trying to break it down scientifically will always fail at some point.

But perhaps a plausible argument (story-wise) may be that Ed is such a skilled alchemist that he can manipulate not only molecular structure but also atomic structure? (Of course, this begs the question of why he didn't just transmute some food when stuck in Gluttony's stomach, but oh well. Suspension of disbelief is important! biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
zappo93
post Dec 7 2007, 02:51 PM
Post #95

Citizen

Member No.: 53,408

ok this has been confusing me for awhile now is ed watch gold or silver because i keep seeing it said that it is either but could some one tell me what it really is?
thank you for all your help tank.gif robot.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Dec 7 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #96

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

I'm 99% certain it's Silver.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Celeste Nayamash...
post Dec 7 2007, 03:25 PM
Post #97

Alchemists

Member No.: 52,278

It's silver. There have been times were it's been mis-translated as gold, but the watch is silver.

--------------------

My DeviantArt My Fanfiction
Siggy made by me! EdxWin is <3 Avatar made by CeruleanSan <3
"Even when our eyes our closed, there's a whole world out there, that lives outside ourselves and our dreams."
Formerly known as WinryRockbell_83

+Quote Post
Alchemical
post Dec 7 2007, 04:16 PM
Post #98

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 44,852

At one point it was translated as gold, but it's definitely silver. That was just an error.

+Quote Post
ehxhfdl14
post Dec 7 2007, 05:20 PM
Post #99

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 45,709

Okay, it's pretty much been stated that the watch is silver...perhaps mods should close this thread?
(By the way, maybe someone could change the title to Ed's Watch instead of Eds Watch? Thank you.)

--------------------
We have met the enemy, and he is us.
-Walt Kelly, Pogo

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Dec 7 2007, 05:35 PM
Post #100

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

(By the way, maybe someone could change the title to Ed's Watch instead of Eds Watch? Thank you.)

Why? Seems completely pointless.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Dec 8 2007, 08:56 AM
Post #101

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

QUOTE(ehxhfdl14 @ Dec 7 2007, 08:20 PM) *
Okay, it's pretty much been stated that the watch is silver...perhaps mods should close this thread?

How about... adding this to "Fma Manga Question" thread? ^^

Thread merged. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ehxhfdl14
post Dec 8 2007, 03:11 PM
Post #102

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 45,709

QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Dec 7 2007, 06:35 PM) *

Why? Seems completely pointless.

As much as this post? =D

--------------------
We have met the enemy, and he is us.
-Walt Kelly, Pogo

+Quote Post
Little Fixster
post Dec 17 2007, 06:37 PM
Post #103

Citizen

Member No.: 54,487

So I was just thinking, on the topic of transmuting gold and all that, in the manga, that incident is the only one so far that I can think of where something is transmuted that is of a different element. In the anime there's the other cases you mentioned. You could argue that these cases in the anime still used the same elements - all you'd need to make ethanol is Carbon, Hydrogen, and Oxygen - The hydrogen and oxygen would be plentiful seeing as sloth is made out of water (Well not MADE exactly but you get my point), and you're body's got alot of carbon too. It wouldn't explain the leftover phosphorous, lime, all that stuff but still...For Ed's arm...Steel is made of iron and carbon. You could change the amount of carbon (.1-1.5%) - I'm not sure if that would be different enough but I would say so. However, a lot of those substances would be weaker, not just because "whenever Ed changes the structure it becomes weaker." High Carbon steels are stronger but more brittle, low carbon steels are more likely to bend. I suppose it would be possible to make alloys if he had the materials too, I'm not sure Lior has alot of metal lying around...But those are possible explanations, if not the correct ones.

With the gold thing though...There's really no way to explain that besides they took creative liberties. Maybe gold's an exception... dry.gif

Now if it was pyrite (fool's gold) that could be explained but I'm quite sure that when it says gold, it means gold.

Sorry about the length and slight rambling.

But I'm pretty sure the whole gold thing is the only case that happens in the manga...still it does happen then.

+Quote Post
afelis
post Dec 20 2007, 10:58 AM
Post #104

Citizen

Member No.: 51,436

was the number of Ed and Al's hotel room. I remember there was some significance attached to it, but I just can't remember what exactly. Not sure if this question had already been asked in the forums, sorry if I'm repeating!

+Quote Post
Havanese
post Dec 20 2007, 12:02 PM
Post #105

Apprentice

Member No.: 53,239

Are you referring to Emperor Jianwen of Liang's and Emperor Wu of Chen's births? That's the only thing I could find that has any relevence to FMA.

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2016 - 04:17 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css