HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

21 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
FMA Manga Question Thread!, Post your questions for FMA manga here!! (Spoiler Alert!)
angelofsarcasm89
post Jun 13 2010, 09:36 PM
Post #271

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 70,605

Hi, I had a question. Is there anywhere where it says how big Amestris is, like in miles or kilometers or any kind of distance? I'm kind of curious about it.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jun 14 2010, 03:27 PM
Post #272

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

@Hagaren_4ever - I think Thalogens got it right. Ed is essentially saying/hinting that "I can not answer your those question because I'm in a situation where I can not talk about those. Please understand that, and judging from that please 'guess' yourself just who's order I'm being forced to follow." ...I think. (Although I haven't double checked the raw for that page. ^^)

@angelofsarcasm89 - As far as I can think of, I don't recall reading about that info anywhere, or anyone posting that info.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hagane no Baka
post Jun 18 2010, 01:02 AM
Post #273

Citizen

Member No.: 66,287

How many FMA artbooks are out there in total? Two, three maybe?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kasumisty
post Jun 18 2010, 01:13 AM
Post #274

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 59,111

From what i know there were two of them containing the illustrations from the manga. Maybe the third one is yet to be published.

--------------------
Due to the cancellation of the end of FMA, Kasumisty must think of new signature.

It may take a while.

+Quote Post
Ama-ri
post Jun 19 2010, 06:10 AM
Post #275

Citizen

Member No.: 73,157

QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Jun 18 2010, 10:13 AM) *
From what i know there were two of them containing the illustrations from the manga. Maybe the third one is yet to be published.

Yup 2 Illustration Artbooks (for the Artworks from 2001 until 2005), but there is a sketch artbook as well.

--------------------

Signature & Avatar Artwork by Me

Deviantart | Weblog (ger)

+Quote Post
sidekick.kep37
post Jun 19 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #276

Alchemists

From: The lair where the Sidekicks hang on their down time
Member No.: 67,873

QUOTE (angelofsarcasm89 @ Jun 13 2010, 11:36 PM) *
Hi, I had a question. Is there anywhere where it says how big Amestris is, like in miles or kilometers or any kind of distance? I'm kind of curious about it.

I actually tried to figure this out myself. Twice in fact. My most recent attempt/thought process during episode 60 of FMAB with the eclipse. If the size of the Earth in the FMA universe is pretty much exactly the same as our Earth is as well as the moon and the sun, I tried to figure out the area/circumference of Amestris by using the umbrage during the eclipse.... but then that's where I stopped because I'm not sure if there was a formula available for finding the size of a shadow... and because I lost interest.

Before I got into the manga and was way immersed in the first anime, I tried to determine the size of Amestris using what small tidbit of information the first anime provided. In episode 15, Edward claimed it took 3 days to get to Resembool from some train station near East City. With that in mind, I instantly thought Amestris had to be huge, since both were in the East area. Or well, technically Resembool was stationed conveniently between East City and South City. I digress, From there, I could've grabbed a ruler, measured the area between East City and Resembool and used that as a scale, but I thought it best not to in case my map was distorted (printed it off the internet) and therefore, impossible to correctly scale. But if you could get the actual guidebook or whatever with the map and did the scaling yourself in "time" (meaning, I dunno, distance between Resembool and East City was, for example ONLY, 4 inches, so 4 inches = 3 hours), determined the average speed of running trains at in that time period (1915?) and followed through with the whole speed=distance/time and solved for distance, then you could be able to determine the distance between East City and Resembool. Then if you used a compass with Central as the center, measured to one of the points on the country's border and did some cross multiplying, then theoretically you should also be able to determine (roughly) the size of Amestris.

I had another theory, but it confused me and I didn't even work it out, so I might put that down later if I feel like working it out. I hope I didn't confuse you or anything.

Whoa. Math and science... they even contribute to fandom! (Motivational poster anyone?)

+Quote Post
SneakyRuler
post Jun 19 2010, 01:58 PM
Post #277

Alchemists

Member No.: 67,760

What we know for sure is population count: 50 million people.

Amestris looks just like any other European country at that time period. Population density of my state in 1910 was roughly 125 people per quarter kilometer and from what I see Amestris looks pretty much the same, mostly rural but has advanced manufacture. Assuming that, 50 million people with that population density gives us 400 000 square kilometers (about 154 000 square miles) - bigger than Germany and smaller than France.

+Quote Post
StormGoddess
post Jun 19 2010, 02:27 PM
Post #278

Apprentice

Member No.: 46,523

Not really sure where to post this. unsure.gif

I hope this hasn't been asked before because I didn't read all the pages of this thread. I only read from page 19 to page 12 (yeahlol I unintentionally read it backwards, oh the effect of manga XD)

I bought the English volumes 15, 21, and 22 that were published by Viz. I'm not sure if I'm satisfied with how Viz translated the names or lines of characters. They call Kimblee "Red Lotus Alchemist", they spell Grumman as "Graman", Lior as "Reole", etc. It's quite confusing. Then the employees of the bookstore offered me English volumes published by Chuang Yi. I'm not familiar with publishing companies and their works and I was surprised to know that there's another company publishing FMA in English.

So my questions are:

Is Chuang Yi's translation better than Viz's?

Why are Chuang Yi's volumes thinner than Viz's?

Well, Chuang Yi's volumes are just half the price of Viz's. And for someone like me who wants to buy all of the volumes, I could save alot if I were to buy Chuang Yi's products. But then if I couldn't get accurate translations I'm willing to spend some money on Viz.

I hope someone could answer me. Thanks in advance. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Jun 21 2010, 11:43 AM
Post #279

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

^I'm not an expert or anything, but out of curiosity I did some researching. (I was intrigued at the thought of another company translating FMA into English. xD)

The general consensus is that Chaung Yi's translations are just as good as Viz's. But I also read somewhere that their editing is quite poor on some occasions. Having said that some people say that their translations are a little iffy. It also appears that they're thinner either because they don't include extra pages at the end in some of their manga, so it might be quite safe to assume that they may have omitted things like the Cow Shed diaries, or alternatively they just have thinner paper.

It seems that it's a mixed bag depending on what manga it is. I think the best thing to do is to buy a Chuang Yi volume and see for yourself, that way you'll definitely know. happy.gif

If you end up buying Viz's, they're really not all that bad; they're actually really good once you get passed the weird stuff like "Red Lotus" and how they translate "Xerxes" (it's something like Csellkses- can't remember how they spell it LOL). I think the worst error in translation was in D. Gray-Man; "Prease take Riniri and lun!" *faceplam*

--------------------

+Quote Post
StormGoddess
post Jun 22 2010, 09:31 AM
Post #280

Apprentice

Thanks, A Pierrot's Aria! happy.gif

I'm not really that good in English so I just take whatever is better/I could understand XD. Though I'm thinking of buying CY's Volume 8 to see if they changed the Greed-on-Cross panels or not.

QUOTE (A Pierrot's Aria @ Jun 21 2010, 11:43 AM) *
I think the worst error in translation was in D. Gray-Man; "Prease take Riniri and lun!" *faceplam*

OMGLOL. I said I'm not that good in English but I think Google Translate does a better job XD LOL jk.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Thalogens
post Jun 26 2010, 03:15 AM
Post #281

Alchemists

Member No.: 70,644

Sorry if this has been asked before but... where on earth did Scieszka go? When was her last appearance in the manga?

+Quote Post
Ama-ri
post Jun 26 2010, 05:25 AM
Post #282

Citizen

Member No.: 73,157

QUOTE (Thalogens @ Jun 26 2010, 12:15 PM) *
Sorry if this has been asked before but... where on earth did Scieszka go? When was her last appearance in the manga?

I think her last appearance was in volume 9 (when she let mustang look though the documents hughes researched).
However, unlike in the first anime sheska is a minor character, not even as important as maria ross. So I didn't even miss her in the end xD

--------------------

Signature & Avatar Artwork by Me

Deviantart | Weblog (ger)

+Quote Post
whippersnapper
post Jun 26 2010, 07:42 AM
Post #283

Citizen

Member No.: 71,561

QUOTE (StormGoddess @ Jun 20 2010, 05:27 AM) *
Is Chuang Yi's translation better than Viz's?

Why are Chuang Yi's volumes thinner than Viz's?

Well, Chuang Yi's volumes are just half the price of Viz's. And for someone like me who wants to buy all of the volumes, I could save alot if I were to buy Chuang Yi's products. But then if I couldn't get accurate translations I'm willing to spend some money on Viz.

Well, I have never read Viz's version so I can't really compare, but I do have volume 4 published by Chuang Yi (They're a Singaporean company by the way.)
Overall their translation is quite good, no obvious errors I can see, although the tendency to italicize words irked me slightly. They also spelled Kimblee as Kimbly and Ishval as Ishbal (does Viz do this as well?).

It also appears that they're thinner either because they don't include extra pages at the end in some of their manga...

For volume 4 at least, they included the "Dog of the Military" side story and all the 4-koma omakes. Can't tell about the other volumes though. They also kept the extras on the cover and spine which you see after you take the dust jacket off.
My only gripe is they didn't keep the character pictures on the spine of the jacket.

If you get the chance, you probably should browse through the manga and see for yourself, since different volumes might have different qualities in translation and editing.

--------------------

Avatar and sig not by me, they're screenshots of this video.

+Quote Post
ChaosRogue
post Jun 29 2010, 04:52 PM
Post #284

Citizen

Member No.: 69,893

Alrighty, I have Volumes 1-18 + 21 of CY, and 19 of Viz. Currently, I like CY a lot better than Viz.

Viz uses Cselkcess compared to CY's Xerxes. Viz has Solf J. Kimblee compared to Zolf J. Kimblee (volume 4 does have Kimbly though), May Chang to Chan Mei.

CY Volume 8 has Greed on a cross.

I don't seem to be missing any omake, diary or bonus pages from any of the volumes as far as I can tell.

CY also has omake images on the front and back covers underneath the dust jacket, as well as on the spine, usually featuring the characters who died in this volume. I don't know if this is on the Viz version.

I can help with comparisons with the copies I currently have, but I will be going away soon so I won't be able to do so immediately.

+Quote Post
StormGoddess
post Jul 1 2010, 06:54 PM
Post #285

Apprentice

Thanks whippersnapper and ChaosRogue! happy.gif

So yeah, I bought volume 9 by CY. And can I just say, I love it? XD

I haven't read the entire volume but I noticed they kept the Japanese sound effects and just added the translation beside it or on top/bottom of the panel, while in Viz's versions the sfx were english. So, it looks like the usual scanlations, but with better quality.

One thing that bugs me is that they spell the title "Hagane no Renkinjyutsushi" in the cover, because I believe it's Renkinjutsushi. huh.gif That's the reason why I was hesitant to buy it at first.

Also, my volume 9 doesn't have the character image on the spine. sad.gif

It really doesn't seem to be missing some pages, but I still can't figure out why it's thinner by like 5-10%. The type of paper they used doesn't feel thin. unsure.gif

And CY's version smells differently, too. XD Seriously, I like the smell of Viz's. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2016 - 12:04 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css