HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

88 Pages V  « < 85 86 87 88 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Post Your Review On The Last Movie You Watched!, on TV, DVD/BD etc, streaming on Web, or in the theater ^^
Tombow
post Aug 20 2010, 06:47 AM
Post #1291

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Man Hunt (1941)

A Black & White film directed by Fritz Lang. In case the director's name does not ring a bell, in FMA CoS movie, there is Alt!Bradley character who is a film director, and the character's name is Fritz Lang. There is actually a real life Austrian film director, Frits Lang, who lived around the time of CoS movie storyline, and he made films in Germany, then immigrated to the U.S. and made more films in Hollywood. And, this is one of his Hollywood film, based around that time, around the start of WWII, and the background story of the movie is involving Hitler and the British engagement in WWII, and the film was released in 1941 in the U.S., around the time the U.S. was about to go into the War.
The film is basically a chase movie. It starts with a British guy aiming his rifle at Hitler. He didn't pull the trigger. Instead, he gets caught by German army. Gestapo wants him to sign a confession saying he was ordered to kill Hitler by the British government. He refuses, then he escapes, and goes back home to England. German Gestapo follows him to England, and the man hunt continues.. uh.. in a very leisurely pace. xp
Given that this is a 1941 film, there is no car chase, no gory scenes, no stunt actions, no explosions. Yet the story was somehow engaging, if not a bit stereotyping about the British working class girl meets upper class gent kind of stuff, IMO, and the music, IMO was mediocre at best. Nonetheless I enjoyed watching this mild thriller, especially the last arc, the cave scene. I wish the director didn't tack on the "propaganda" ending ...the film ends with the guy joins the British force and goes back to Germany, with his precision rifle in a tow, then parachute down into Germany. But, given the time this movie was made, I guess that's understandable. Overall, this may not be one of his best films, but I liked it. smile.gif

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Aug 20 2010, 12:16 PM
Post #1292

Major General

Group: Members
Member No.: 67,527

Haven't posted a movie review in ages...despite having already seen tons of movies inbetween posts.

Anyways, last movie I saw was Inception (for the second time).

Inception...actually to fully describe it would actually be giving much of the plot away. Directed and written by Christopher Nolan, at it's core, Inception is a bank-type heist film and yet it's not. On one hand, it deals with dreams - but not in a sense that most people would think as it's not really people analyzing the various types of dreams. On the other, just going along for the ride will help the viewer understand just exactly what Inception is.

A superb cast led by Leonardo DiCaprio with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ken Watanabe, Tom Hardy & Ellen Page as well as support from Cillian Murphy, Michael Caine, & Tom Berenger, Inception is one of the most intelligent summer movies I've seen that has a great plot, wonderful action scenes (the hallway fight scenes alone are worth it), and amazing effects wrapped up in a fairly tidy package.

+Quote Post
ScarMySoul
post Sep 10 2010, 03:20 PM
Post #1293

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 36,754

The Mist

This movie is based on the book by Steven King. Its about a small community in Portland, Maine and there had been a huge storm and the day after there's fallen trees etc. The two main characters notice a mist coming off the mountain over the lake but they don't pay attention to it very much. The guy and his son go to the store and all hell breaks loose. People start dying when they get covered in the mist that covers the whole area. There's a lady who swears its the wrath of god coming down on the wicked. She's pretty damn crazy in this movie. The truth comes out that the military had wanted to open a portal to other worlds, or realms to see what they could find and it worked. Save the outcome was creatures wreaking havoc. There's mutant spiders with webs that melt anything it touches, flying bugs that make you swell up if they sting you, flying creatures that eat anything they can find etc.

The ending was the most disturbing endings I've seen in a long time... don't read this if you don't want to know the ending...

Five people, two older people, a woman, the guy and his son manage to get into his car and drive as far as his gas allowed... the gas runs out and the only solution they find is to shoot themselves... there's only four bullets, the guy shoots everyone his son included and leaves himself to the monsters, he gets out of the car to let the monsters take him and low and behold a tank with soldiers and survivors show up.... he freaks out because he killed three people and his son and now he has to live with it... THE END

I will NEVER watch this movie again just because of the ending... upset me terribly.... sleep.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Little Washu
post Sep 19 2010, 03:11 PM
Post #1294

Lt. General

Member No.: 31,492

In theater: Easy A
Think Mean Girls type humor. Not bad at all actually, and it in fact made me laugh quite a bit. It has a few scenes in which the viewer knows something but the cast/characters doesn't and it makes you wanna yell at the movie and pisses you off... but other than that, its fine.

On TV: First Wives Club
Not much to say about it since I came in half through, but damn, respect to these women.

--------------------

d a| Y a k u s o k u |t u m b l r

+Quote Post
jacksparrow589
post Sep 20 2010, 03:19 PM
Post #1295

Special Ops (Piratical Gallery Enforcement)

Group: Gallery Moderators
Member No.: 48,158

Cats Don't Dance

During a recent bout of nostalgia, I decided to watch this movie, which I don't think I appreciated nearly enough when I first watched it all those years ago.

A brief synopsis (spoiler-free): This movie tells the tale of Danny, a small-town cat with big-time aspirations, who leaves the small town of Kokomo, Indiana for Hollywood, thinking he'll strike it rich. Upon his arrival, he finds that animals are given only bit-parts, allowed to make only the sounds any regular animal makes. A few run-ins with starlet Darla Dimple serve to further discourage Danny, who starts to wonder whether he really can achieve his goals. Can he rally his animal pals and make it big? Watch and find out!

Now, some more personal notes:

First, when I was younger, I had no idea who Jasmine Guy (voice of Sawyer Cat) was, and as a result, didn't realize just how awesome she is. I know it's Natalie Cole who does Sawyer's wonderful singing, but Jasmine Guy really does give Sawyer the right emotion at the right time.

Second: Scott Bakula brings the sweetheart (and main character) Danny completely to life. You can't help but believe that it's been this little guy's lifelong dream to hit it big-time. That he can carry a tune is an immense help in this regard, but even speaking, there's so much to love about Danny.

I could go on and on about the cast--from a literal cranky old goat to a sinister child star and her behemoth servant, they all did a spectacular job!--but the writers, musicians and animators also deserve major credit. The story is actually pretty coherent, and, clocking in at just 75 minutes, the movie's short enough to keep most people interested. The songs are incredibly catchy, but heartfelt at the same time (as is the rest of the script). The animation is amazingly smooth, and not too distracting, but not too bland to look at, either. I adore this movie. Watching it makes me feel like a dazzled 7-year-old all over again!

--------------------

Credit goes to Causmicfire for my avatar

The Royai Day party might be over, but the fun never stops!
Royai Day 2011 Album
Thank you to all those who contributed!

+Quote Post
Razzy
post Sep 26 2010, 01:30 PM
Post #1296

Special Ops (4-D Super Curator)

Group: Gallery Moderators
Member No.: 39,817

The Fourth Kind

A movie "based on a true story" about alien abductions in Nome, Alaska. The story follows Dr. Abigail Tyler, a psychologist whose patients have, coincidentally, all been telling her of insomnia and sightings of strange white owls outside their windows. The plot eventually goes into Tyler trying to figure all this out, eventually figuring out they're experiencing alien abductions and so on...

Since I'm a fan of sci-fi stories of aliens and whatnot, I had to see this movie, at least out of curiousity (since I heard it was a bad movie). laugh.gif

However, this movie was extremely disappointing, seeing as how this movie could have been executed much better than it was.

One irritating thing was when they did a split-screen, showing the "real footage", along with the dramatization (the actors). And it was hilarious to see this, especially because now the audience can tell how awful these actors are. But mostly, the split-screen thing was annoying and unnecessary.

The thing that really angered me was when the "real footage" was "destroyed" or "disturbed". They would show a UFO in the sky, or the patients recalling their experiences, where they would lift off their bed a few inches, or twist into crazy contortions, but you would only be able to see the beginning of these for maybe a second, and then the rest of the footage went fuzzy. At times, it would just go blank, and you'd just read subtitles. So what could have had the potential for being the most interesting, most disturbing parts were unclear and just boring to watch.
Even assuming that this was "real" footage (which I highly doubt), they could have used the actors to act out those unseen parts.

Imagine 'Saw' with all of the gore edited out. It's like that. Not as if adding that crazy alien footage would have contributed a whole lot to the overall quality of the movie, but it might have made it significantly less boring to watch.

Again, the lack of explanation and visuals really contributed to the suckiness of this movie. When they would explain things, you still were not sure what was going on. You sit there, thinking, "Are those shadow things supposed to be aliens? What the heck are those?" As opposed to actually showing the aliens, which MIGHT have made it somewhat interesting. They could have added some really creepy stuff in there, which might have left the audience with a week-long fear of looking out their windows at night, expecting a white owl or a UFO to be chillin' outside.

It really is a shame that this movie sucked so bad. Because, just reading the plot, it had the potential of being a good scary film.

--------------------

C'mon, grab your friends. We'll go to very distant lands.
my deviantART

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Oct 8 2010, 02:24 PM
Post #1297

Group Icon

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)

It's a film based on famous "Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" novel, but the story in this film divert quite a bit from the original novel, and it includes the side story of Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde with a sweet young prostitute, Ivy Pearson while Dr. Jekyll is dealing with the upcoming wedding to Muriel Carew, and I like this added story lines, especially the story with Ivy. IMO it makes the film more interesting and less "horror/slasher film"ish.
Actually, the film is not "horror"ish at all. It's very mellow compared to today's horror/slasher films. Even Mr Hyde is not that evil, compared to today's horror/slasher movie evil characters. He's just looking bit more ape like than us, and also a bit more "honest" to his feelings and acts accordingly, while Dr. Jekyll is portrayed like a perfectly sweet and gentle and kind gentleman (overly so, in a way, in today's standard. xp)
The actor who played Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde, Fredric March won Oscar for his acting in this film, and is quite good, although it gets overly dramatic (like many actings in the old films ^^) time to time. xp
The "special effects" for the scenes when Dr. Jekyll is turning into Mr Hyde are pretty good, and considering the film was made in 1931, rather impressively well done, IMO.
Just don't expect anything horrorish with this film, but otherwise it's a charming film, IMO. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Little Washu
post Nov 11 2010, 11:20 AM
Post #1298

Lt. General

Member No.: 31,492

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Chikai

The 2nd live action, based on the last chapter of the first anime. Now, there is quite the variation to this. As it's a live action, the cast can't be perfect... but one thing really irked me...
The girl who played Rena.

I'm not sure why, but I just could NOT think of her as Rena. I think she was overly dramatic, didn't act like Rena at all. Rena is less spastic and doesn't curse. This 'Rena' swore like a sailor and flipped at the slightest thing. Also, she had long black hair, and was less cute.

As much as I love this live action and the last, that Rena killed it for me. The other actors played their roles well, (even if Satoko and Rika's hair styles were switched) it's just that Rena... hnng.

Other movies I've watched recently:

Pom Poko
Great <3 I loved it. The characters were so enjoyable and the story was great. I really love this movie.

Only Yesterday
Probably one of the best chick-flicks I've ever seen. It's so sweet <3

Grave of the Fireflies
Really sad, but pretty realistic. I didn't cry, but it pulls at your heartstrings regardless...

--------------------

d a| Y a k u s o k u |t u m b l r

+Quote Post
ScarMySoul
post Nov 19 2010, 01:59 AM
Post #1299

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Pt1

WARNING: MAJOR MOVIE SPOILERS WITHIN. READ WITH CAUTION!

Summary:

The movie starts off with everyone close to Harry, Ron and Hermione leaving and going to safety. Promptly after that the Order arrives to ferry Harry away to the Burrow. Mad Eye has a few people take polly juice potion to send the Death Eaters into disarray and for the most part it works. In the process of taking Harry to the Burrow, Mad Eye and Hedwig become casualties. In the few days they're at the Burrow, Harry and Ginny exchange a few kisses and the main event is Fleur and Bill's wedding. All is well until they are forewarned that Death Eaters are coming and in the commotion of the attack, Harry, Ron and Hermione apparate. The three of them apparate from place to place while they are trying to find the "real" locket. They find out that Mundungus stole it and that its somewhere in the Ministry of Magic. They end up getting the locket and for safe keeping they wear it. Little did they know that the locket makes them angry and knows their thoughts. Ron ends up leaving because of his overwhelming jealousy of Harry and thinks Harry and Hermione are a "together." Sorting through clues they find out that the only way to destroy the locket is with the sword of Griffyndor but the sword is now missing. There's a scene where Harry and Hermione travel to Godric's Hollow and they visit the graves of his parents. They find an old woman who knew Dumbledore and she takes them to her house. Harry sees a photo and is staring at it asking who it is. The woman turns into Nagini, Voldemort's snake and the snake ends up attacking Harry. Hermione casts a curse with Harry's wand, but it backfires and destroys his wand. Soon after Harry sees a Patronus of a Doe and follows it into the woods. Harry finds the sword of Griffyndor and goes into the water to get it but the locket reacts practically drowning him. Ron shows up and saves him as well as getting the sword. Harry tells Ron to destroy it and before Ron does, the locket manipulates him, showing him his fears (spiders) and his jealousy. It does show a scene where there's implied nudity and heavy kissing between Harry and Hermione but that's all. They soon find out what Voldemort was looking for. He's looking for one of the Deathly Hollows, a wand hand crafted by Death that is the most powerful wand ever made. He's told it lies with Dumbledore in his grave. He retrieves it and so ends part one.

I LOVE LOVE LOVED this movie. I thought it was well done, and it was brilliant. Its very dark, very sinister, and that is really put forth with the feel of the movie. I'm glad I saw it at the midnight showing, regardless of how hectic it was and how close I was to the screen lol. I recommend this one... and I can't wait until July for part 2!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Dec 3 2010, 06:56 PM
Post #1300

Group Icon

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 1

Yes, yes, I'm late, but I finally watched it. ^^

ScarMySoul already did awesome job with the summary. Please read her post above. XP

I enjoyed it, although I would've liked to have more content, and now I have to wait & wait & wait for the final movie....

--------------------

+Quote Post
FullMetalFan4lif...
post Dec 19 2010, 11:08 PM
Post #1301

Citizen

Member No.: 75,790

The Last Movie I saw was Tron Legacy in theaters this Past weekend.

This is imo how you should view Tron series, First watch the 1982 film Tron then buy or rent the Tron Legacy Video game that has nothing to do with the Tron Legacy Movie except to tell you its a Prequil to Tron Legacy movie in Theaters now that way your in the loop of the Full Story of what happened to Kevin and Tron up to the start of Tron Legacy.
Tron Legacy was an Amazing movie and it wraped up and at the same time restarted Tron which showed The main character Kevin Flynn taking over Encom after the Master Control Program and Ed Dillinger who wrongly Stole Kevin Flynn's games from him and made Millions of the games he made and at the end of that movie It shows Kevin Flynn just taking over the company. That was in the 1982 Movie Tron.

Flash Forward to years after he has run the company the movie Starts out very sweet. It shows Kevin Flynn telling the Story of his adventure with Tron, a computer Program created by Kevin's best friend, Alan Bradley with the sole mission to watch over all the Programs and Users who run the programs and to even watch the actions of Ed Dillinger and his all powerful Promgarm Master Control Program to his son Sam Flynn in a room filled with Tron stuff from the 1982 film plastered everywhere I wonder if I can find that stuff on ebay? Kevin Flynn finishs telling his story and start to head to work because Kevin Flynn got addicted to going into Trons World after in the 1982 Movie MCP pulled him into the world as punishment for hacking the mainframe to find his list of Games he wrote that Ed stole from him. Kevin Flynn was never seen or heard from again after that night in 1989. What happens I'm not telling but if you have seen Tron Legacy then you know but all I have to say is Loved it would see it again for a second time and can't wait to see the next Film or game if there is going to be another. For the ball is left up in the air in Tron's world and in the real world too.

+Quote Post
FMAobsessed
post Jan 4 2011, 08:53 PM
Post #1302

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 52,558

The King's Speech

Directed by Tom Hooper
Starring: Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter

The King's Speech is an excellent movie based off the true story of King George VI (Firth), who ascends the throne after his brother abdicates. But King George VI has a stutter or stammer and is considered unfit to be king, especially when Nazi Germay is rising to power and war is inevitable. So King George VI goes to an unorthodox speech therapist named Lionel Logue (Rush) for help with his speech impediment, and forms a friendship with Logue. All while finding his voice to show his kingdom he is a strong leader.

I thought The King's Speech was an excellent movie. It was a character driven movie. but Firth and Rush nailed their parts. And their interactions were priceless. I think this movie deserves an Oscar. The acting, setting, cinematograhpy was just great. I defininately recommend this movie, whether you are a history buff or not.

+Quote Post
ScarMySoul
post Feb 5 2011, 06:13 PM
Post #1303

Gallery Mod Emeritus

The Rite 2011

This movie starts off with a person being prepared for a burial. A man named Michael is dressing, washing and getting a woman ready for her casket. It proves to be his father's business that they both work at. Once this lady is prepared, he reveals that he's going to go to a Seminary School to become a priest. His alterer motive is to just get his four year degree at the expense of the Catholic church. On his finishing year, he sends out a letter stating that he wont be taking his vows and plans to leave the Seminary. On his way to his room, he crosses the street and the priest that he sent the letter to sees him and calls for him. He turns and the priest slips, knocking a woman on a bike into the path of a truck. The truck hits her and is given her last rites and dies. The older priest tells Michael that if he doesn't continue with the vows, the scholarship will be turned into loans and treated as such. He mentions that there's a class being started for Exorcism in Rome at Vatican City and that he should spend two months in Rome, and become and Exorcist. He agrees and starts his classes. Micheal is a skeptic and makes that known, so his teacher refers him to a priest that is very unorthodox. He goes to see him and witnesses an exorcism. A girl is there with her aunt and its said that she was possessed by a demon. It torments her and her baby that she's carrying constantly. Later its revealed that the reason this 16 year old girl is pregnant is because she was raped by her father. Michael still doesn't believe and pushes the demon to do something drastic. The demon takes possession of his teacher, making snide remarks about his father, his mother, etc. He pushes Michael into revoking his thoughts of not believing in the devil and he says that since he believes in the devil then he believes in God. He's able to exorcise the priest by making the demon reveal its name. I wont reveal the demons name, you'll have to watch that one and find that out. He soon goes back home, and accepts his vows, and becomes a priest.

This story was based on true events. The actor that portrays Michael still practices in a Catholic church in Chicago and the Italian priest still does exorcisms in Florence, Italy. The ending credits stated that the Italian Priest has performed over 2000 + exorcisms.

Great movie, not really scary, but there are some intense moments and parts that will make you jump.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Aug 10 2011, 09:16 AM
Post #1304

Group Icon

The Borrower Arrietty

2010anime movie from Studio Ghibli, directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi and screenplay by Hayao Miyazaki and Keiko Miya. It's an anime film adaptation of Mary Norton's 1952 novel, "The Borrowers" but the anime story is set in present-day Koganei, the western suburb of Tokyo where Studio Ghibli is located, while the original story was set in 1950's England.

Plot
The story takes place in 2010 in Koganei, western Tokyo and like the novel revolves around a group of "tiny people" who are 10 cm tall and live under the floorboards of a typical human household.

A boy named Shō arrives at the house his mother lived in as a child, to live with his great aunt Sadako. When Shō leaves the car, he sees a cat trying to attack something in the bushes, but the cat leaves after being attacked by a crow. Shō goes to see what the cat was trying to attack. He then sees a Borrower named Arrietty.[5] That night Arrietty's father Pod takes Arrietty above the floorboards to show her how he gets sugar. Pod shows Arrietty the kitchen, behind the walls and a dollhouse. Before Arrietty and Pod can leave, Arrietty notices Shō is awake, and accidentally drops the sugar cube they got. Shō tells them not to be afraid of him.

The next day, Shō leaves the dropped sugar cube beside an underground air vent where he first saw Arrietty, but Arrietty's mother Homily warns them not to take it because their existence must be kept secret from humans. Still, Arrietty sneaks out to visit Shō in his bedroom, and the two become friends. On her return, Arrietty is intercepted by her father. Pod and Homily realize they have been discovered, and decide the family must move out of house.

Shō learns from Sadako his ancestors have seen Borrowers in this house, and they had the dollhouse made especially for the Borrowers, with working electric lights and ovens. However, the Borrowers had not been seen since, and the dollhouse stayed in Shō's room. Shō uncovers the floorboards above the Borrower household, uproots their kitchen and replaces it with the kitchen from the dollhouse.

Pod returns injured from a borrowing mission, helped by Spiller, a Borrower boy he met on the way. Spiller suggests some places the Borrowers can move to, and, after he recovers, Pod goes to check them out. Arrietty goes to say goodbye to Shō. During their subsequent conversation Shō theorises that the Borrowers are becoming extinct which hurts Arrietty. Apologising, Sho reveals he has had a heart condition since birth, and will have an operation in a few days. The operation does not have a good chance of success.

Meanwhile Haru, Sadako's maid, notices the floorboards have been disturbed. While Sadako is out, Haru locks Shō in his room, unearths the Borrowers' house and puts Homily in a jar in the kitchen. Haru calls a pest removal company to smoke out the Borrowers and bring them to her alive.

When Arrietty returns to find Homily missing and their house disturbed, she goes to Shō for help. Arrietty helps Shō break out of his locked room, Shō then carries Arrietty to the kitchen and distracts Haru while Arrietty rescues Homily. Sadako returns soon after the pest removal company comes, and tells them to leave. Haru tries to prove to Sadako the Borrowers really exist, but Homily has escaped, and there is nothing below the floorboards: The Borrowers have already set off on their move, and Shō has destroyed the remains.

The Borrowers stop for dinner during their move, and Shō's cat spots Arrietty. The cat brings Shō to Arrietty. He gives her a sugar cube as a parting gift, and tells her the Borrowers' fight for survival has given him hope to live through the operation, which will happen in two days' time. In return, Arrietty gives Shō her hairclip. The Borrowers then go into a teapot, which Spiller steers down a river.

It's nice gentle film with "hayao" touch. I liked it. smile.gif

It won the award for Animation of the Year at the 34th Japan Academy Prize
By the way, it will be released in the United States on 17 February 2012.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Omamori
post Aug 10 2011, 10:37 AM
Post #1305

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 52,106

Men in Black (1997)

I still own this flick on VHS, but can't find it anywhere :/ Ah well.

Boy, did this movie take me back... I still remember when my dad took my brothers and me to see it in theaters when I was six! It was frikkin' awesome! xD Then we bought it on video tape, and pretty much watched it almost everyday.

Anyway, I'd recommend this movie to anyone who's looking for a good, sci-fi comedy :3 The aliens were hysterical, the special effects were well-done, and Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith make a great, on-screen team as agents Jay and Kay smile.gif A must-see for everyone, I think.

--------------------

-------------------
||
DeviantArt||
-------------------
Set by Omamori

+Quote Post

88 Pages V  « < 85 86 87 88 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2016 - 06:07 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css