HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

88 Pages V  « < 84 85 86 87 88 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Post Your Review On The Last Movie You Watched!, on TV, DVD/BD etc, streaming on Web, or in the theater ^^
Little Washu
post Mar 8 2010, 02:32 PM
Post #1276

Lt. General

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,492

Tim Burton's REMAKE OF 'Alice in Wonderland'
(Don't call it Tim Burton's 'Alice in Wonderland', he couldn't create such a masterpiece if he tried, and here he clearly didn't)

My review:

Tim Burton's 'Alice In Wonderland' is a complete failure. He sacrificed so much of the story's plot, charm, and even heart just for CGI and visual pleasure. Also, he failed to do his research, leading to much incorrect info... for starters:

When Alice returns, that would be TTLG, not IW, so he should have changed the title. Or how about the Red Queen and Queen of Hearts? Two completely different characters, he's combined them. He made the Cheshire cat blue, TweedleDee and TweedleDum bald, the dormouse a chick (and not the least bit sleepy for that matter), the Mad Hatter look like a tranny Willy Wonka, and the Jabberwocky isn't the least bit scary.

I'm glad the reviews are bad so far, because a lot of people aren't seeing this for what it is. Most everyone who enjoyed it did not read the original books, and had they, they would be very disappointed. I think as some of the best reviews put it, "One pill makes you larger, one pill makes you small, and the one that Burton gives don't do anything at all", " 'Curiouser and curiouser' says Alice, but I don't believe her.", and "As Caroll himself would put it, 'it isn't much of a muchness at all'."

Also, all the adds say "Starring Johnny Depp", which makes me wonder when the Mad Hatter became the titular character...

Very depressing that the movie made so much sense, absolutely nothing was 'mad' about it. I think I should see it on acid next time...

All in all, good thing I had a movie gift card, would be a waste of money...

<I moved your post here from "Penny" but I see you already posted here also, so I merged the both posts. ^^ ~ Tombow>

--------------------

d a| Y a k u s o k u |t u m b l r
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ScarMySoul
post Mar 12 2010, 08:57 PM
Post #1277

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 36,754

The Princess Bride (1987)

When a young boy falls ill, his grandfather pops round to visit him. To cheer his grandson up, Grandpa has brought a storybook; The Princess Bride, a tale of the love between the beautiful Buttercup and the besotted Westley, a love cruelly interrupted by Westley's tragic apparent death at sea when seeking his fortune. Heartbroken, Buttercup has sworn never to love again, but accepts the marriage proposal of the rich and handsome Prince Humperdinck, heir to the throne of Florin; but death is no barrier to true love, and in a story filled with exotically-accented swordsmen, big-hearted giants, genius kidnappers, sadistic torturers, vile swamps, Rodents of Unusual Size, the Dread Pirate Roberts and a somewhat embittered miracle worker, the love between Westley and Buttercup twists and turns on a path filled with adventure.

I absolutely love this movie. Its always been one of my favorites and I can watch it for days. Its an original story of true love and nothing, not even death will get in the way of Buttercup and Westley's destiny.

There's classic cheesiness to this late 80s film but its worth every frame. happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
FMAobsessed
post Mar 17 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #1278

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 52,558

Voices of Iraq (2004)

Voices of Iraq is a documentary where 150 digital video cameras were passed out to different Iraqi citizens to film their everyday life in a war torn country.

This documentary was like watching a home video. But it does not take away the voice of each citizen. Diifferent people from different walks of life were able to express their opinions freely about Sadaam Hussien's regime, America, the Iraq War, Iraqian democracy, and hopes in the future about Iraq.

There were a surprising amount of violent footage, especially the footage that showed prisoners being tortured in Sadaam Hussien's prisons. And by violent I mean shot, beaten, beheaded, blown up, and tongues being cut out.

For me one of the saddest moments in the documentary was when an elderly women was describing how her son, daughter-and-law, two grandsons, and granddaughter were shot in their car by American soldiers. Only the granddaughter survived and she now lives with her. What baffled me was when the little girl, who was about seven described what happened said it all nonchalantly, like everyone expects to be shot at one point in Iraq. She didn't even seem to be bothered that she had a bullet wound in the stomach and arm.

But I learned that Iraqian citizens have hope that their country can be a great democracy. I also learned that the majority of them hated Saadam Hussien's regime, but want to have stability back in their country.

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Mar 18 2010, 10:13 AM
Post #1279

Major General

Member No.: 67,527

Last movie I saw was Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland on IMAX 3D.

To be honest, I was more interested in seeing the Tron Legacy trailer (which has made me extremely hyped for it!) than I was for Alice, but in any case, I actually thought that AiW was alright. While I agree that Tim Burton should've just made Through the Looking Glass into a movie, I guess he decided to call it Alice in Wonderland so that people would be more familiar with it.

I did like the actress that played Alice - haven't heard of her before but I think she's got some potential. Hearing Stephen Fry, Alan Rickman and Timothy Spall voicing Cheshire Cat, Blue Caterpillar, & Bayard respectively was also a nice surprise and I was actually kind of amused with Anne Hathaway's take on the White Queen.

The CG...I'm of mixed feelings as while I think the way it was done seems to match the atmosphere and look of the film, it does come off as a bit cheap...particularly with the jabberwocky.

The rest, well...I was entertained by the movie and since I don't really watch movies to over-analyze every little detail, I was okay with it. In any case though, I still found this movie far more entertaining than Avatar.

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Mar 18 2010, 12:44 PM
Post #1280

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

Alice In Wonderland

I have to agree with Little Washu on this one. I think the movie was a complete failure, and I was genuinely considering walking out during the movie. However, I was there with a friend so I settled for leaning back in my seat and closing my eyes.

Visually, it looked really nice, especially in 3D, however that didn't make up for the movie's blatant boringness.

I didn't like the actress who played Alice; her acting wasn't very good, in my opinion.

I think the main reason why people were so hyped about this movie was because it was by Tim Burton and it starred Johnny Depp. I don't think either do anything for the film. At all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lunneth
post Mar 20 2010, 02:36 AM
Post #1281

Alchemists

Member No.: 43,587

ponyo

wow. not an amazing film, definatley not hayoa miyazaki's best work. i think it was an interesting film it had liam neeson in it which was my personal high light. got cramp after though and had to sit through the credit music. you cannot imagine the pain. not my leg, my ears tongue.gif

--------------------

persona rp: [url="http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12717"]
thankyou Arakawa sensei for the 9 years of awsome story lines, characters and plot twists that became Fullmetal Alchemist. it's been one hell of a ride :3

+Quote Post
Little Washu
post Mar 29 2010, 01:30 PM
Post #1282

Lt. General

Member No.: 31,492

Higurashi no Naku koro Ni -Live Action Movie-

For the most part, I gotta say, it was really well done. Some of the character designs confused me though... Rena's choice in hairstyles... Satoko's long pigtails, Rika's short bob cut for a bit, and Tomitake was a little weird disregard this, but Keiichi's dad not looking like a fruit loop as well XD;, and to me Ooishi looked a bit like an Asian George Lopez... lol. None of these things are really complaints though, nothing you can't get over to enjoy the movie.

The way some events happened was a tad odd, but nothing really noticeable. Little disappointed with the "USO-DA!!" scene, but the clawing throat scene(s) were very good. The acting was good as well~

All in all, I would say I give it a 8/10. Now to find a download link to the 2nd one, Chikai, subbed lol

--------------------

d a| Y a k u s o k u |t u m b l r

+Quote Post
EniviD EiraM
post Mar 31 2010, 01:47 AM
Post #1283

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,525

QUOTE (A Pierrot's Aria @ Mar 18 2010, 12:44 PM) *
Alice In Wonderland

I didn't like the actress who played Alice; her acting wasn't very good, in my opinion.

I think the main reason why people were so hyped about this movie was because it was by Tim Burton and it starred Johnny Depp. I don't think either do anything for the film. At all.

*raises hand

I agree ...
and what's with Mad Hatter's hat ??

but honestly, I like Johnny Depp in this movie biggrin.gif

the actress for Alice isn't bad at all but I just can't feel that she is Alice in the movie . She's more like a lost princess in paradise ..

--------------------

+Quote Post
ScarMySoul
post Apr 12 2010, 05:55 PM
Post #1284

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Clash of the Titans 3D

RELEASE THE KRACKEN!!

Summary:

A baby is found floating in the ocean with his mother and is picked up by a fisherman. The mother is dead but the baby has survived. The fisherman raised the child, naming him Perseus. As Persus grows older, when there is lightning about, his chest aches. As the family is fishing one day, they pass a group of soldiers defacing a statue of Zeus, tearing it down. Hades shows up and kills them all, noticing the fishing boat near by, he destroys it. The only one who survives is Persus seeming as he is the son of Zeus.

He's found by a group of soldiers that are from Argos and brought there. Meanwhile Hades goes to Zeus and convinces him to let him handle the heathen people on Earth so that they will once again pray to him, making him strong again. Zeus agrees and he heads to Argos. He says that they have 10 days to change their ways, and on the tenth day the princess Andromeda will be sacrificed to the Kracken.

Perseus begins on a quest with men of the city to the mountain of the three witches. They tell them that the only way to defeat the Krackin is to use the head of Medusa and turn it to stone.

SPOILER ALLERT!! DON"T READ IF YOU"VE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE!!

Perseus travels to the temple of Medusa at the edge of the river stix, cuts off the head of medusa and travels back to Argos on the back of Pegasus. He defeats the Krackin by turning it to stone, then he sends Hades back to the underworld and Zeus is praised once again.

Liam Neeson was Zeus
Ray Feins was Hades
That guy from Avatar who played Jake Sully (I don't know his name laugh.gif ) was Perseus

They changed up the story quite a bit but it was so much better story wise and obviously effects and graphic wise then the 1981 version. Plus Harry Hamlin was horrid in the original laugh.gif

A funny bit was in the original there was a mechanical owl that followed them around and guided them, and in the new one, they had that in there as a haha moment. It was great.

I do recommend this one. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
lunneth
post Apr 15 2010, 03:21 AM
Post #1285

Alchemists

Member No.: 43,587

i've been waiting to talk about this for ages. kick arse. oh yes it's only a 15 in the uk. SCORE
kick arse. it began just like any other kind of super hero movie would. main character is young. main character dreams of being a super hero. the only difference is that the main character dave lizewski (played by aaron johnson) only wonders why no one has tried being a super hero before, not fantasizes about it. soon he decides for the better good of the people that he will go out as a super hero and halp people taking on the name kick arse. on his first try to stop two thugs from taking parts off a good car he gets stabbed and accedentally walks out in front of a car. after convincing the paramedics not to tell anyone rumour flies around his school thta he was naked when he was found. from this people begin to think he's gay which leads him to an unlikely friendship with his long time crush Katie Deauxma. dave begins again as a super hero by setting up a my space page and asks people if they need help. dave goes out of his way to help find a lost cat but when he finds the cat on top of a billboard a group of thugs come along trying to hurt one guy. dave falls off the billboard and the man being chased trips over him and falls. dave attempts to fight off all of them on his own with only a pair of batons. soon he makes the thugs come to a revalation after they ask "what the hell is wrong with you?" to which he replies "me? your the guys teaming up on one person as loads of other inocent bystanders watch from a shop window and you wanna know what's wrong with me?". after the thugs leave a bystander comes out of the cafe oposite their fight and asks dave his name. he replies "i'm kick arse". soon dave's alter ego becomes an internet wide phenomenom. katie tells him of an old boyfriend who has been pestering her for a long time and dave suggests she asks kick arse for help on his my space page. he goes to visit katie's old boyfriend but as a fight breaks out a younger super hero vigilante by the name of hit girl comes in and kills everyone in the apartment. soon news reaches drug lord frank d'amico that his men have been killed. he beleives that kick arse was involved as he was sighted near the crime scene. dave eventually gets caught up in a case much bigger than he can handle along side frank d'amico's son and spy chris d'amico who goes by the name of red mist. not to mention the earlier mentioned hit girl and big daddy.

there's the summary. the rest is just pure spoiler. it was a brilliant film and a certain scene kept me on the edge of my seat longer than any film has. ever.i don't really think needs to be much worry or controversy about the character hit girl as there is. personally i don't beleive many 11 year olds will actually go around killing crime lords. it wasn't as funny as i had expected it to be and i never expected it to be so viollent but actually it worked really well. no matter how unrealistic it was it was thuroughly entertaining. 10 out of 10 definately.

--------------------

persona rp: [url="http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12717"]
thankyou Arakawa sensei for the 9 years of awsome story lines, characters and plot twists that became Fullmetal Alchemist. it's been one hell of a ride :3

+Quote Post
ScarMySoul
post Jun 30 2010, 06:38 PM
Post #1286

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Toy Story 3

A story about a boy named Andy getting ready to head off to collage and he is wondering what to do about his old toys. He is going to put them in the attic, but his mother accidentally donates them to Sunnyside Daycare. At first it seems like a heavenly place, but soon they realize that its run by a dictator teddy bear who is all up in arms because he was replaced. Andy's toys make it their mission to return to him before he heads out to collage.

The movie is overall great and I do recommend this movie to everyone. Not the greatest movie in 3D but it is good none the less. The ending is a tear jerker so be prepared for that. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Neurotripsy
post Jul 5 2010, 09:55 AM
Post #1287

Citizen

Member No.: 59,303

Watched 'Whip It' (Drew Barrymore's directorial debut) the other day. Pretty good, I'd give it an 8/10. =D It was a little predictable, but considering it's aimed at teenage girls, that was to be expected. Ellen Page is one of my favourite actresses & even if it had been crap it would've been worth watching, she was adorable as always. X3 It also made me really nostalgic about how I used to go rollerblading before I got sick, it was one of the only good things about my childhood... inspired me to try & dig out my old pair just for the hell of it. >=3

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheRuffian
post Jul 7 2010, 03:35 PM
Post #1288

Citizen

Member No.: 74,493

@ScarMySoul -- My sister said that Toy Story 3 was to be rivaled with the first. Which one is better in your opinion?

I watched Ponyo the other day. It is a Hayao Miyazaki film and 100% anime.
This movie is absolutely adorable. It is the tale of a "goldfish" princess who desperately wants to become human. After falling into the hands of 5 year old boy and tastes his blood, she is able to become human. But if she keeps using her magic to be human, the whole world will be thrown off balance.

Even though the movie was very cute, it had an odd beginning and included parts of the story that, in my opinion, were not necessary. But overall, it was a fun and cute movie to watch.

--------------------

Avitar by xMinty...Many Thanks ^_^

+Quote Post
jacksparrow589
post Jul 11 2010, 05:39 PM
Post #1289

Special Ops (Piratical Gallery Enforcement)

Group: Gallery Moderators
Member No.: 48,158

“Despicable Me” is one of those films where you know exactly how it’s going to end, and probably roughly how it’s going to get there, so don’t watch it for the general plot.

Instead, watch it for Steve Carell’s nondescript eastern European accent (“light bulb” will never be the same again!), the way he comes to love and express this love for three rather cute (though slightly inclined to make trouble) orphans, wondering how the heck people don’t see the Great Pyramid of Giza even though it’s painted to match just one type of sky, a not-so-subtle crack about why the U.S. economy is in the toilet, the song “Despicable Me” by Pharell Williams, a villain so lame that you wonder how he’s not a failure until a reveal that I for one had not been expecting, humor that--while mostly for kids--also makes those who are kids at heart laugh, too, and... the minions. Seriously. Those little yellow pillows with the overalls and goggles that are apparently perpetually on are the most freaking adorable things I have seen in a while.

So, grab a little kid (or anyone who’s a little kid at heart) and go see it!

--------------------

Credit goes to Causmicfire for my avatar

The Royai Day party might be over, but the fun never stops!
Royai Day 2011 Album
Thank you to all those who contributed!

+Quote Post
ScarMySoul
post Jul 12 2010, 06:38 PM
Post #1290

Gallery Mod Emeritus

@ The Ruffian I liked them all the same, didn't really think one was better than the other. smile.gif

Eclipse

Story about a high school girl named Bella, who's in love with a vampire named Edward and she has hidden feelings for a shape shifter named Jacob. No he's not a werewolf, so don't correct me please. Anywho, a redheaded vampire named Victoria is trying to raise an army to destroy the Cullin coven as well as Bella so that Edward will suffer as she did, when he killed her companion James.

*sighs*

They added a new character that wasn't in the book named Riley. It did stay true to the story and it was done well as far as how it was made. I'm not a die hard fan like some tween girls, but I do like the story as well as the movies, not so much the first one but they've been getting somewhat better as they go along.

Best line of the movie and I was thinking the same thing:

Edward: Doesn't he ever wear a shirt? *points at Jacob*

--------------------

+Quote Post

88 Pages V  « < 84 85 86 87 88 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2016 - 10:02 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css