HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Chapter 72 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others), No future chapter spoilers here, please. :)
Lady Dragoon
post Jun 12 2007, 12:42 PM
Post #31

Citizen

Group: Members
From: Plotting to dye Scar's hair pink and hoping I will not be killed.
Member No.: 46,645

QUOTE(TheRainbowConnection @ Jun 12 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]551804[/snapback]
QUOTE(Lady Dragoon @ Jun 12 2007, 11:49 AM) [snapback]551798[/snapback]
Thank you! Now I have a clue on what is going on.

(And didn't have to wait for a santransation(sp?).

So, thank you again. biggrin.gif

I think you're looking for the word "scanlation". wink.gif

XD

Thank you! (I have trouble remembering how to spell it, since I usually don't use that word a lot. happy.gif;; )

--------------------
....I am going to die for what I did to Armstrong, aren't I?

Now? A sig.

(with Armstrong, lolololol!)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chiisana
post Jun 12 2007, 01:27 PM
Post #32

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 42,646

Omfg Ed is almost a whole head taller than Winry o.o Like.. All of the sudden? Well they haven't seen each other for a long time since Winry is in Rush Valley.

Still... Kinda surprising how much Ed grows. How old is he now? 16? 17? A little bit near the end of adolescent and puberty. It looks so funny when Edward looks down at Winry o.o I'm like; "Woa!! Edward finally got a chance to look down at someone who isn't a kid or child?" xD

--------------------
|| =deviantArt= || =LiveJournal= ||

+Quote Post
Amalthea
post Jun 12 2007, 02:24 PM
Post #33

Alchemists

Member No.: 44,604

biggrin.gif This was great! I loved how Ed was acting so idiotically happy with his lighter auto-mail!!

The Scar and Winry interaction made me get teary-eyed. But HOLY HELL I cannot wait for the next chapter.

--------------------

Thank you, Ms. Arakawa, for sharing this wonderful, enriching story that has affected so many of us!

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jun 12 2007, 03:02 PM
Post #34

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Half of the "page by page summary" is done... I'll finish up the rest of the half later tonight!! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
imaginaesto
post Jun 12 2007, 05:59 PM
Post #35

Citizen

Member No.: 46,727

Thank you sooooooooo muchhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now I know what happen! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Also do my eyes deceive me or is Ed finally taller than Winry rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Amethyst Sunset
post Jun 12 2007, 06:15 PM
Post #36

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 38,435

QUOTE(Reta McClain @ Jun 12 2007, 10:28 PM) [snapback]551734[/snapback]
QUOTE(Amethyst Sunset @ Jun 12 2007, 04:44 PM) [snapback]551727[/snapback]
I think it's not just the Royai fans who are rejoicing...also the Edwin fans. XD

Mmm...evil Scar. XD What if he kills Kimblee like in the anime?

OFF-TOPIC PLUG: Haven't even started yet. XDDDD We'll start this Friday, methinks.

Of course we are rejoicing! *shocked* Royai is all nice and dandy but my ultimate love is Edwin wub.gif

Kimbley could die from Scar's hand *thoughtful* Well, they could kill each other though that would take off some very interesting characters. (I heard something along the lines that Arakawa-sensei is going to reveal Scar's real name. Does anyone know if it is true?)

[offtopic] Well, that is still sooner than with me biggrin.gif The earliest I could start studying Japanese with professionals is over a year and that only if I go to right school rolleyes.gif

I <3 Edwin too. ^^ Many Royai fans also like Edwin.

Whoa, if Arakawa-sensei reveals Scar's real name...wow. At least, an unsolved FMA mystery will finally be solved! XD

Kimblee turns Scar into a bomb just as he explodes the Crimson Alchemist's head...and then they both die. Ye-ouch. Two characters killed off in a single chapter. XDDDDD Boom.

[off-topic] - Good luck!

Amalthea - And yeah, Ed's all hyper-happy with his new automail. XDDDDD

Tombow - You rock lots. XD

--------------------

+Quote Post
CowAlchemist
post Jun 12 2007, 07:48 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 28,255

YES. Thank you so much. <333

Ed's finally taller than Winry... XD;

--------------------

CowAlchemist.Deviantart.com and TheCowAlchemist on Youtube.com
If you have attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands,
snapping your fingers,
or by drawing an array,
copy and paste this into your signature.

Hey, might as well try and see if it works, eh?... ^^;

+Quote Post
TheRainbowConnec...
post Jun 12 2007, 10:32 PM
Post #38

Apprentice

Member No.: 45,133

QUOTE(Chiisana @ Jun 12 2007, 01:27 PM) [snapback]551817[/snapback]
Omfg Ed is almost a whole head taller than Winry o.o Like.. All of the sudden? Well they haven't seen each other for a long time since Winry is in Rush Valley.

Still... Kinda surprising how much Ed grows. How old is he now? 16? 17? A little bit near the end of adolescent and puberty. It looks so funny when Edward looks down at Winry o.o I'm like; "Woa!! Edward finally got a chance to look down at someone who isn't a kid or child?" xD

I wonder if it's a fluke of perspective, since Winry certainly didn't seem all that tall while at Briggs. And I think he's almost 16. If I remember correctly, he has a winter (December?) birthday, and it's either winter or getting pretty close to it.

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Jun 12 2007, 10:57 PM
Post #39

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 35,674

It is a cunning plan, though, if Scar could be trusted absolutely. And given his exchange with Winry, I think that he can be trusted to at least keep her safe and out of Kimblee's hands.

I'm not sure that the fact that he kidnapped Winry was something Ed and Al agreed on! I think that they reluctantly accepted to free Scar on Marcoh's demand, but they certainly never told him to take Winry with him! I think Scar has taken this decision on his own : they free him, and suddenly he hits Winry on her neck, like he did to those soldiers in the mountains, get an angry Ed out of his way and makes everything explode to flee with his "hostage" : like this, Ed is really angry for something and Kimblee will be certainly fooled (the eyes of Ed at the end of the chapter... they seem "real"). And now, Winry is protected from Kimblee and Scar il still considered a danger by everyone!

+Quote Post
TheRainbowConnec...
post Jun 12 2007, 11:23 PM
Post #40

Apprentice

I am unconvinced that the Elrics and Miles would agree to free Scar just because Marcoh asked. Since, discounting Winry, those three are the ones with the greatest (more) legitimate reason to kill Scar, it seems unlikely. Rather, if Scar took Winry, the Elrics and the Briggs troops would be free to move against Kimbley and his (comparatively few) men from Central while still maintaining a large degree of deniability and just anger against Kimbley.

Let's face it--Winry is a liability at this point no matter where she is, and it is clear that the greatest danger to her lies from Ed's enemies at Central. On the other hand, Scar is unlikely to hurt her. Despite being somewhat psychopathic, he still maintains a large amount of honor, and since she has made no move to hurt him, he has none to hurt her. Scar's "kidnapping" of Winry is simply a marriage of convenience and leaves Kimbley with few cards in his deck. In short, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" applies, and as it's been implied that Ed might care for Winry more than even Al, his first concern may certainly be to ensure Winry's survival.

+Quote Post
Sensenic
post Jun 13 2007, 12:49 AM
Post #41

Member No.: 11,694

QUOTE(Reta McClain @ Jun 12 2007, 04:28 PM) [snapback]551734[/snapback]
(I heard something along the lines that Arakawa-sensei is going to reveal Scar's real name. Does anyone know if it is true?)

In volume 15 she was asked about Scar's name, and she said that she has it decided but she won't reveal it (IIRC doesn't specify if she won't reveal it for now or at all sleep.gif ). I seem to recall too that she said it was important for the plot? But I'm not certain. And I'm too lazy to go check tongue.gif
I think Tombow translated that. Or CSakuraS.... Uh, my memory keeps failing sleep.gif Let's let them answer this question anyways happy.gifU

QUOTE(TheRainbowConnection @ Jun 12 2007, 09:19 PM) [snapback]551803[/snapback]
A (temporary) unholy alliance between Briggs, the Elrics, and Scar? Say it ain't so!

I say it ai!

QUOTE(TheRainbowConnection @ Jun 12 2007, 09:19 PM) [snapback]551803[/snapback]
P.S. Did it seem like Al killed the fat dude in the chapter? It definitely looked like he broke his neck. If he tried to make him black out, the dude's body would have automatically resumed breathing and woken up once Al let go. Maybe Al has some super-ninja powers of knocking people out by strangling them. Hardcore.

Agreed, that looked weird. He certainly didn't broke his neck (no "goki" or similar bone-cracking sound effect), just strangled ("kyuu" FX of the neck being... uh... squeezed happy.gifU )... and, as you say, just with that you can get a person (well, we'll assume the chimera has a similar respiratory system... happy.gifU ) unconscious? Wow.

QUOTE(TheRainbowConnection @ Jun 13 2007, 07:32 AM) [snapback]551943[/snapback]
QUOTE(Chiisana @ Jun 12 2007, 01:27 PM) [snapback]551817[/snapback]

I wonder if it's a fluke of perspective, since Winry certainly didn't seem all that tall while at Briggs. And I think he's almost 16. If I remember correctly, he has a winter (December?) birthday, and it's either winter or getting pretty close to it.

In fact he's been "almost 16" for a looong time now sleep.gif His birthday's kinda overdue...

QUOTE(Sannom @ Jun 13 2007, 07:57 AM) [snapback]551950[/snapback]
I'm not sure that the fact that he kidnapped Winry was something Ed and Al agreed on! I think that they reluctantly accepted to free Scar on Marcoh's demand, but they certainly never told him to take Winry with him! I think Scar has taken this decision on his own : they free him, and suddenly he hits Winry on her neck, like he did to those soldiers in the mountains, get an angry Ed out of his way and makes everything explode to flee with his "hostage" : like this, Ed is really angry for something and Kimblee will be certainly fooled (the eyes of Ed at the end of the chapter... they seem "real"). And now, Winry is protected from Kimblee and Scar il still considered a danger by everyone!

QUOTE(TheRainbowConnection @ Jun 13 2007, 08:23 AM) [snapback]551955[/snapback]
I am unconvinced that the Elrics and Miles would agree to free Scar just because Marcoh asked. Since, discounting Winry, those three are the ones with the greatest (more) legitimate reason to kill Scar, it seems unlikely. Rather, if Scar took Winry, the Elrics and the Briggs troops would be free to move against Kimbley and his (comparatively few) men from Central while still maintaining a large degree of deniability and just anger against Kimbley.

Let's face it--Winry is a liability at this point no matter where she is, and it is clear that the greatest danger to her lies from Ed's enemies at Central. On the other hand, Scar is unlikely to hurt her. Despite being somewhat psychopathic, he still maintains a large amount of honor, and since she has made no move to hurt him, he has none to hurt her. Scar's "kidnapping" of Winry is simply a marriage of convenience and leaves Kimbley with few cards in his deck. In short, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" applies, and as it's been implied that Ed might care for Winry more than even Al, his first concern may certainly be to ensure Winry's survival.

Wait... aren't you two contradicting yourselves there? Or am I missing something? huh.gif

You both are saying that you don't believe Ed and Al agreed on the Scar taking Winry as hostage part (we don't know if he'll keep her yet), but afterwards you both give the reasons that could make Ed 'n Al actually agree on it, given the circumstances?
Does Not Compute... blink.gif

QUOTE(TheRainbowConnection @ Jun 13 2007, 08:23 AM) [snapback]551955[/snapback]
I am unconvinced that the Elrics and Miles would agree to free Scar just because Marcoh asked.

Well, obviously because it's not as simple as that. There's obviously a time skip in there, where most probably Marcoh explains the reason WHY he doesn't want Scar to be taken away: he's the one who holds the key to decripting Scar's brother's notes, and rentanjutsu with them. And both the Elrics and the Briggs army are VERY interested in that, so it's perfectly logical they all reach an agreement, ain't it? (yer freedom for yer translation of bro's notes. Equivalent Exchange). Add Ed's cunningness as of late (how he's always one step ahead of first Raven, now Kimbley) into the mix, and you've got the perfect reason for them to agree on setting up this little performance, don't you think?
Besides, we don't know their plan, who told you they'll set Scar free and keeping Winry with him? It's most probably just a set up acting for now, who knows how will it end. Have patience.

Trust Ed. And Arakawa sensei's storytelling abilites: Remember the Maria Ross part wink.gif

--------------------
貧乳神・・・

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Jun 13 2007, 01:02 AM
Post #42

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 35,674

You both are saying that you don't believe Ed and Al agreed on the Scar taking Winry as hostage part (we don't know if he'll keep her yet), but afterwards you both give the reasons that could make Ed 'n Al actually agree on it, given the circumstances?

Ah it must be because I'm not that good in English (I'm French). Yes, I think they would have good reasons to "give" winry to Scar, but it is sure that they would never accept it! In fact, I think that they let him go, but Scar decided to take Winry as an hostage on his own, and I think that the explosion was also something unexpected! But Scar didn't take her only as a hostage, I think he did it also to "protect" her, as he heard that she was the "captive" of Kimblee!

On a side note, doesn't the last panel remind you of something? To me, it's the opposite of the first encounter between Scar and Kimblee : Scar is the one who is dominating everyone now! He is looking down to Kimblee now! First time, Kimblee was the one who looked down on him. Second time, they were on same level. Third time, Kimblee is the one who must look up to see his enemy!

+Quote Post
Sensenic
post Jun 13 2007, 02:21 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 11,694

QUOTE(Sannom @ Jun 13 2007, 10:02 AM) [snapback]551981[/snapback]
Ah it must be because I'm not that good in English (I'm French). Yes, I think they would have good reasons to "give" winry to Scar, but it is sure that they would never accept it! In fact, I think that they let him go, but Scar decided to take Winry as an hostage on his own, and I think that the explosion was also something unexpected! But Scar didn't take her only as a hostage, I think he did it also to "protect" her, as he heard that she was the "captive" of Kimblee!

OK, I see your point now. smile.gif Could be as you say, yes.

QUOTE(Sannom @ Jun 13 2007, 10:02 AM) [snapback]551981[/snapback]
On a side note, doesn't the last panel remind you of something? To me, it's the opposite of the first encounter between Scar and Kimblee : Scar is the one who is dominating everyone now! He is looking down to Kimblee now! First time, Kimblee was the one who looked down on him. Second time, they were on same level. Third time, Kimblee is the one who must look up to see his enemy!

Oh, it's true! Very good one! ( n_n)--b

--------------------
貧乳神・・・

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Jun 13 2007, 02:40 AM
Post #44

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

....WINRRRRRRRRY (I can't get my head around argueing with anyones opinions yet, but I shall read them)

I mean, ya know, not bothered....and is it me or is Ed plenty taller than her now?

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheRainbowConnec...
post Jun 13 2007, 02:42 AM
Post #45

Apprentice

@Sensenic:

I think you may misunderstand me. When I said "I am unconvinced that the Elrics and Miles would agree to free Scar just because Marcoh asked," I meant that they wouldn't free Scar without some tangible benefit to them. Therefore, I find it implausible that they would have freed Scar without having prior agreed to some terms that would play in the Elrics' favor--namely, keeping Winry safe. As such, I was giving a response to Sannom's hypothesis that Scar snatched Winry away without the Elrics' approval after Marcoh had somehow convinced them to set Scar free (without the condition for Scar to protect Winry by kidnapping her). (At least, that is how I read his statement.) Ed and Al simply wouldn't let it happen. They would not set Scar free without good reason. Keeping Winry safe is good reason enough in this case, though.

In short: I firmly believe that Scar came to an agreement with the others before he was set free. In return, he has to protect Winry and keep her out of the military's hands.

QUOTE(Sensenic @ Jun 13 2007, 12:49 AM) [snapback]551978[/snapback]
In fact he's been "almost 16" for a looong time now sleep.gif His birthday's kinda overdue...

Seriously. I want to see a birthday bash, goshdarnit. dry.gif

(It's crazy how much slower the manga moves than the anime. He turned 16 way early in the series. In the hospital after Slicer, right?)

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st July 2016 - 02:58 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css