Something Like FMA? Other anime to watch after FMA
Rating 4 V
Dreakon
post Apr 12 2007, 10:51 PM
Post #1

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,232

Ever since FMA finished airing on Adult Swim, I've been looking for something to fill the anime void (yeah, it's been awhile). I've tried a couple anime but nothing has been able to keep my attention. Eureka 7 seemed pretty good (same creators as FMA even), but the really slow starting pace has pretty much made me lose interest (stopped watching around episode 11-ish) plus mecha anime have never really been my thing. Now I'm trying Wolf's Rain and it seems pretty interesting but I can tell it's not really going to be anything I can get into.

I don't know what it was about FMA I liked so much, but I'm trying to narrow it down to these thoughts:

- Long interesting plot with lots of twists (FMA basically had like 2 filler episodes and those are arguable and so many episodes had such huge impacts on the rest of the series (ie. Episode 25, Episode 34, etc).
- Realistic, likeable characters... even the bad guys made you feel for them and other then the whole alchemy & homunculous thing, they acted like normal people. Like how when they first introduced Scar he seemed like a pretty typical bad guy bent on killing innocent people, but later in the series they went into such detail about his past and his situation that it almost made you understand his actions.
- Relatable situations (war, discrimination, etc) and realistic locations (I like the fact the locations were based in european-esque cities rather than how most anime takes place in some unrealistic futuristic city or in modern day japan, not that I got anything against japan, I just found it fresh and somewhat original)
- Wasn't loaded with uncomfortable fanservice and whatnot (not a fan of pixelated chicks with obscenely large knockers and any romance in FMA was generally of a humorous nature (ie. Episode 37) minus a few subplots or backstories (lust) which I found necessary) and it's important since I like to let my non-anime watching friends watch a couple episodes from time to time and unless they're really open-minded that kinda stuff usually doesn't go over too well. FMA was a great starter anime. tongue.gif
- It was newer, so the dub was more than bareable (I'm a dub fan) and the animation and music was superb.

-----------

Sorry, I'm starting to ramble on about why I like FMA.

Point is, I haven't found any anime yet that has drawn me in as much as FMA. I am just hoping for some suggestions as I'm not really in-depthly experienced with all the anime out there and I'm sure you all know a lot more than me. Based on my ranting up there, you might have some idea what I am interested in... perhaps you know of some anime I can look into?

Thanks in advance. smile.gif

P.S: I've basically seen everything Adult Swim has to offer as of this moment and the only ones I've really enjoyed were FMA, Trigun and possibly Wolf's Rain (I haven't seen all of it yet). So anime like Cowboy Bebop, Bleach, Inuyasha, etc... don't really need to be suggested.

--------------------
user posted image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Apr 12 2007, 11:05 PM
Post #2

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

@Dreakon - I think I agree with you that FMA was quite unique!! But, I'm sure there are some other interesting anime out there, and some of our Anime experts (? ^^) can get you some recommendations.
I assume you're in the U.S., right?? And you don't mind watching the anime outside Adult Swim, right?? (Just checking. ^^)
Anyway, later on I'll be merging your thread to Anime Recommendation thread. You can check out that thread and see what others are recommending also. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dreakon
post Apr 12 2007, 11:12 PM
Post #3

Apprentice

I don't mind watching outside of Adult Swim, but I am mainly a fan of dubbed anime. I've tried fansubs from friends before but I find it much more comfortable to watch and follow when it was in english.

And sorry, I didn't notice the Anime Recommendations thread, I'll take a look through it. Sorry for the hassle, feel free to merge this thread or do whatever you moderators do with threads like this. smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Apr 12 2007, 11:38 PM
Post #4

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

@Dreakon - No problem!! ^^
I'll leave the thread as is for a while, so that it would be more noticeable.
Hope you can find some anime to catch your interests as much as you did for FMA!! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mei_tenshi
post Apr 13 2007, 04:48 PM
Post #5

Major General

Member No.: 3,343

Mm, the first anime that I thought of after reading some of your points is Blood+...and it pretty much satisfies all of your requirements, I think. (Though I'd recommend it even if it doesn't. tongue.gif)

It's not quite like FMA (what with a completely different story and art style and all), but in terms of how engaging the anime is with the viewer, it ranks right up there with the best of them. I was hooked from the first episode.

I'm not sure, but I think it's currently airing on Adult Swim? I haven't seen any dubbed episodes, though I heard the voices are pretty good.

--------------------

CoF #11

+Quote Post
Little Washu
post Apr 13 2007, 06:42 PM
Post #6

Lt. General

Member No.: 31,492

Negima!

One of the best shows I've ever seen, though it's probably more for girls. It's only 26 episodes but all the characters are pretty average and cool. If you're a guy looking for an anime girl you've got a good pick out of 31 girls. (and I'm only talking about the ones in class 2-A). The book is really good too, but I prefer the show. It does have funny parts, sad parts, all of that. You should see it if you've got nothing better to do tongue.gif.

--------------------

d a| Y a k u s o k u |t u m b l r

+Quote Post
Fushi
post Apr 13 2007, 07:21 PM
Post #7

Lt. General

Member No.: 37,703

Negima has quite a bit of fanservice tho doesn't it? The first volume of the manga had quite a bit. I like Negi myself (what I've read at least) but I don't think it's what he's looking for.

I'd recommend Angel Sanctuary. It's a very dark story, with a lot of plot twists, and characters you can really sympathesize with. It also deals with social issues, but mostly in the context of religion. It's a big tear jerker too. It does have romance in it tho - the story mostly centers around a pair of siblings who are in love with each other. (Please don't be squeamish about the incest tho. I was at first, and rather disgusted...but when I read it I felt so sorry for the two of them, I just wanted to cry ;_; )
However, the only anime they did of it was a 3 episode long OAV that only covered the first part - vols 1 to 3 and half of 4. There are 20 volumes of the manga. I'd suggest reading the manga, but if you're still unsure, you can try the anime first. (But the anime lacks KIRIE!!! ;O; And the big spoiler that gets revealed about Sara -the sister of the main character Setsuna-and [spoiler]the angel Gabriel[/spoiler] later on! ;_; )

Other than that...hmm...I'm drawing a blank. I'll see if anything else comes to mind.

--------------------
My icon comm

"I can't stand RoyxHughes (he's married and has a daughter!)"
Popo: "Brace for Fushi! *cowers*"

Huge Maes Hughes fan. In fact I'm even the Maes Hughes of livejournal. Really. Look for me under "M"

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Apr 13 2007, 07:37 PM
Post #8

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

Azumanga Daioh:
Long interesting plot with lots of twists: Kagura V Sakaki, Evil grey cat of Death, Elevators or Escaltors? Plenty of twists and thought provoking episodes.
Realistic, likeable characters: Plenty.
Relatable situations: Many.
Wasn't loaded with uncomfortable fanservice and whatnot: Does Chiyo-chan count?
It masterfully blends tender human emotions, relatable events and high class drama and is the uncontested king of it's genre. Very faithful to the source material (spanning a number of volumes) and an extremely well preformed dub are the icing on the cake.
Can get very dark at times: Poor Tomo. That Vending machine was a jerk for not putting down the cup for her drink. So many Yen lost and then Yomi gets TWO cups! sad.gif A brilliant metaphor for social inequality.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
ScarMySoul
post Apr 13 2007, 08:03 PM
Post #9

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 36,754

Some that I've found that filled the void:

Witch Hunter Robin
Shrine of the Morning Mist (kinda slow but its still a good one)

I just got Boogiepop Phantom and I don't recommend that one haha.

Most of my anime is all mainstream so I'm not sure if I've helped at all lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
Little Washu
post Apr 14 2007, 07:28 PM
Post #10

Lt. General

Member No.: 31,492

QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ Apr 13 2007, 07:21 PM) [snapback]529919[/snapback]
Negima has quite a bit of fanservice tho doesn't it? The first volume of the manga had quite a bit. I like Negi myself (what I've read at least) but I don't think it's what he's looking for.

I've only read vol.9 because the manga's story line sucks compared to the anime, though it is only a little different, the anime is a thousand times better. And the show almost has no fanservice except for 1 episode but I'm not going to get into that, even though it wasn't anything that bad.

Hmm, I think if Negima! isn't really his type then you might wanna try Ghost in the shell (if you haven't already). It's really complex but really good too. So are Chrono Crusade and Peacemaker Kurogane. Another one that is really good is Spiral. Now that is a really good show.

Popogeejo- I've heard good things about Azumanga Daioh but never really checked it out myself, is it really that good?

--------------------

d a| Y a k u s o k u |t u m b l r

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Apr 14 2007, 07:49 PM
Post #11

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

QUOTE(Little Washu @ Apr 15 2007, 03:28 AM) [snapback]530281[/snapback]
Popogeejo- I've heard good things about Azumanga Daioh but never really checked it out myself, is it really that good?

Nothing in my post was a lie. That's all I'm saying.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Apr 14 2007, 09:03 PM
Post #12

Gallery Mod Emeritus

From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

Try Texhnolyze. That one, too, has a hero with prosthetic limbs who hates his father.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dreakon
post Apr 15 2007, 10:03 PM
Post #13

Apprentice

QUOTE(Abstruse Eulogy @ Apr 15 2007, 12:03 AM) [snapback]530386[/snapback]
Try Texhnolyze. That one, too, has a hero with prosthetic limbs who hates his father.

Heh, meets all my requirements. tongue.gif
Looking at it, I honestly don't know what to expect... I like a little humor in my anime but everywhere I turn I see people saying its "dark and disturbing" but it's also very unique and original. Also hear the story is a bit drab and/or slow.

Is it actually any good or did you just suggest it cause of the limbs and father hating? wink.gif

Thanks for the suggestions everyone and keep 'em coming! I'm having quite a bit of fun looking into all these anime, can't wait to see them. smile.gif

P.S: I hear D. Gray Man is a lot like FMA, though I'm not personally into subs and will probably wait until its dubbed, but perhaps this suggestion will help someone else out. tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Chibi_Girl29
post Apr 20 2007, 10:11 AM
Post #14

Apprentice

Member No.: 44,004

I think that there's BUSO RENKIN it's just like BLEACH and FMA you can watch episodes of BUSO renkin at www.youtube.com

--------------------

+Quote Post
Full Flame Alche...
post May 12 2007, 11:39 AM
Post #15

Apprentice

Member No.: 5,327

I was just about to create the exact same topic as this. biggrin.gif
There's no point saying what I'm looking for as you might as well look at Dreakon's post. BUT, I would actually prefer to watch a fansub and have no access to Adultswim anyway.Nothing has really interested me so far.
Just to add,FMA is the only anime I've seen so far and I really want to get drawn into another one.

--------------------

Homonculus Rule(except Wrath)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th June 2016 - 08:02 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css