The Ungiven Box Of Chocolates, [oneshot] Imma gunna depress u! >:3
Rating 5 V
Fushi
post Apr 9 2007, 12:03 PM
Post #1

Lt. General

Group: Members
Member No.: 37,703

This is a fic I did actually a few months ago, back in the later months of 2006. It appears to be my most popular over at FF.net tho, so I figure it’s as good a fic as any to post on my first time posting a fic here. It’s intended to be really simple; dialogue, narration, all intentionally simple. I figured that would have the better effect since it’s a one shot. (Plus, I wrote it in 10 minutes during my spare and refined it later at home.) Feedback is much appreciated; it will let me consider posting my other works. smile.gif

Now, y’all just pretend Amestris celebrates Valentine’s Day, which they probably don’t, but I don’t care. tongue.gif

-

Every Valentine’s Day, Maes Hughes saw the same thing. A ton of girls would come up to his friend Roy Mustang through out the day and rain upon him boxes of chocolate. And each year Mustang gave the chocolate away, save for one or two boxes.

This was to be expected. Mustang was a ladies man; well loved by the female population of any place he went to live. He also didn’t care much for chocolate.

That wasn’t anything new or strange to Hughes. No…there was something else that bugged him.

Each year Roy had a box of chocolates HE wanted to give. Only one. For as long as Hughes had known him, Roy always had a box for an unknown recipient.

During the day, Hughes would watch Roy take out the chocolate, think about it, put it away, think about it, take it back out, think about it, start to put it away again, stop, think, get out of his seat, stop, think, sit back down, think yet some more, and finally, throw the chocolates away at the end of the day. It was unlike Roy to waste something, especially something he bought. Who was it Roy wanted to give the chocolates to? Was it someone different every year or the same person? Whenever Hughes asked, Roy would blush uncharacteristically and reply “No one,” then consider taking the box out of the trash (which he always decided not to). Whoever it was, it was someone really important to him, someone he cared about enough to make him nervous. Someone serious.

Roy rarely got serious with women. In fact, for as long as Maes had known him, had he ever gotten serious about a woman besides the unknown one he bought chocolates for every year?

Once Hughes asked if he wanted him to deliver it in his place.

“No. Thank you, Maes.” Roy replied, his face that unusual red tint rarely seen on him.

Hughes assumed Roy was still going about this tradition while stationed in East Headquarters.

“You ever going to give your secret crush that chocolate?” he asked one Valentine’s Day on the phone.

There was a long pause. Hughes could picture Roy’s red face.

“No.” he finally said.

His friend was honestly fed up. How was Roy going to find a good wife if he went on like this?

“Well, why not? What’s the problem? What’s stopping you, Colonel Roy Mustang, the Flame Alchemist, ladies man extraordinaire, the type of man women will pay good money just to TOUCH, from giving chocolate to some girl?”

There was silence again.

“They’re…married.” he confessed.

“Oh.”

“Someone…beat me to them…I had my chance before…and let it slip through my fingers…”

More silence. Hughes let the matter go, feeling somewhat bad.

Hughes never did find out his friend’s secret crush. At least, not in his time alive.

The first Valentine’s Day after Maes Hughes’ murder, Roy Mustang arrived at his grave, a box of chocolates in hand. This was to be his new Valentine’s Day tradition.

He stood there a while in complete silence. Eventually he got on his knees before the spot where Maes eternally laid. His gloved fingers began to trace the words engraved on the stone: Brigadier General Maes Hughes…

Finally, he took his chocolates and set the box against the white slab.

“I…I loved-......I still love you Maes.”

It was much easier to admit his feelings to a dead man, but infinitely more painful.

He sat in silence for a long time, looking at the tombstone and the chocolates he was finally able to give.

-

Any anti-yaoi/anti-HughesxRoy feedback, btw, and Pyramid Head will find out where you live. ¬_¬

--------------------
My icon comm

"I can't stand RoyxHughes (he's married and has a daughter!)"
Popo: "Brace for Fushi! *cowers*"

Huge Maes Hughes fan. In fact I'm even the Maes Hughes of livejournal. Really. Look for me under "M"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Elise Elric
post Apr 9 2007, 01:00 PM
Post #2

Alchemists

Member No.: 45,468

*Gasp* I are depressed now! sad.gif
Good work tho! 4/5 stars!

--------------------
“-and nobody felt sad, as long as we could postpone tomorrow with more nostalgia"

deviantart youtube

+Quote Post
Guest_Triple Soul_*
post Apr 9 2007, 01:04 PM
Post #3

Guests

Wow...I don't even LIKE the pairing, and that was beautiful. And sad. I liked it alot. *sniff*

+Quote Post
Nekokitty
post Apr 9 2007, 01:11 PM
Post #4

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 36,425

Beautiful, well written.
The end made feel a little sad too. ;_;
I have to read more of your fanfics now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fushi
post Apr 9 2007, 01:15 PM
Post #5

Lt. General

*sighs with relief. No more shaking*

QUOTE(Elise Elric)
*Gasp* I are depressed now! :(
Good work tho! 4/5 stars!

Muahahaha, I have done my job. *maniacal laughter*
Aw shucks, thank you. :')

QUOTE(Triple Soul)
Wow...I don't even LIKE the pairing, and that was beautiful. And sad. I liked it alot. *sniff*

Thank you! <3 I get that reaction alot. :D I've even converted some people apparently. O.o My biggest fan was actually a Royai fan before. XD

QUOTE(Nekokitty)
Beautiful, well written.
The end made feel a little sad too. ;_;
I have to read more of your fanfics now.

Thank you muchly! ^^ I recommend a World With or Without You. That's my babycakes. c:

Oh, there's a parallel companion fic to this called 'The Given Box of Chocolates' where everything is basically the opposite (time period is pre-series rather than post, Hughes is the one giving the chocolate, the two are in a relationship - it's before Gracia obviously, in fact it's Military Academy-verse- and it has a happy ending) But that one was basically Valentine's Day fanservice fluff for the HughesxRoy community on LJ (and my fans on FF.net XD) hence why I probably won't post it. XD (but it's very easy to find if you want to read, hint, hint ;))

--------------------
My icon comm

Huge Maes Hughes fan. In fact I'm even the Maes Hughes of livejournal. Really. Look for me under "M"

+Quote Post
Indignant Judgme...
post Apr 9 2007, 01:25 PM
Post #6

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 44,864

Awesome happy.gif
It was a sad one, but good nonetheless
I would give it 4.5/5 stars

--------------------

"Nothing is ever completely negative" ~ Maes Hughes
"Hey! I'm as normal as they get! This is a contest of freaks! What do you want me to do? Hit them with my sling shot?" ~ Maes Hughes
Forum Family: Sisters: ~Edward~Elric~Fan~, sweety_pie, Zachelle, Elise Elric, Intotheocean, Molecular Alchemist, Twilightz, silentsky
Brothers: Ratzenheich FMA Super Fan, Densetsu kid, LastExile, Robo-Mechanic
Cousins: Kenji
Twins: slayeralchemist, ゆきえいり
Devil: God of War (Because he is that cool! XP)

If you want to join my Forum Family, PM me

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Apr 9 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #7

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

*Isn't really here*
Very nice work Miss Fushi.
#/#

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Fushi
post Apr 9 2007, 03:45 PM
Post #8

Lt. General

QUOTE(Illusionist Alchemist)
Awesome happy.gif
It was a sad one, but good nonetheless
I would give it 4.5/5 stars

Thank you kindly. <3 *gives more love*

QUOTE(Popo)
*Isn't really here*
Very nice work Miss Fushi.
#/#

*doesn't really see Popo ;3*
Aww, thanks very much Poopsie. <3 *all smiles now*

--------------------
My icon comm

+Quote Post
Zexion
post Apr 10 2007, 10:40 AM
Post #9

Citizen

Member No.: 42,918

It's really well done for just being made in 10 minutes! I don't like this pairing but this fanfic is sweet. <3

--------------------

Thank you so much Nil-chan for the sig! :D I made the avatar. Thus, its bleh. Part of the Ed x Armony Club!

"My Youtube" "My Gaia" "My Deviant Art"

+Quote Post
Naivete
post Apr 11 2007, 12:10 AM
Post #10

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 43,484

Aww, I loved it! The ending is so touching..and sad.

4.5/5. So good..

--------------------

Destitute shrine maidens need no donation boxes.

Romantically Apocalyptic
It summons cancer.

+Quote Post
Fushi
post Apr 11 2007, 11:43 AM
Post #11

Lt. General

Thanks so much again guys for the confidence boost all your nice feedback. c: I appreciate it. <3

QUOTE(Zexion)
It's really well done for just being made in 10 minutes! I don't like this pairing but this fanfic is sweet. <3

You should see what I can do in 3+ months. wink.gif

--------------------
My icon comm

+Quote Post
Naivete
post Apr 11 2007, 09:27 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 43,484

QUOTE(Zexion)

You should see what I can do in 3+ months. wink.gif

Oh, I've read halfway through that. You make it seem so natural, the way Roy doubts his situation. I should finish reading it! =D

--------------------

Destitute shrine maidens need no donation boxes.

Romantically Apocalyptic
It summons cancer.

+Quote Post
Kenji
post Apr 11 2007, 09:44 PM
Post #13

Brigadier General

Member No.: 44,341

You have a Yaoi one...why not make another Yuri one? tongue.gif

I can imagine the whole scene in my head. Great story. Nice job! smile.gif
and I am shocked, very shocked that you can come out with such masterpiece in just 10 minutes.

+Quote Post
Fushi
post Apr 12 2007, 08:22 AM
Post #14

Lt. General

Oh, I've read halfway through that. You make it seem so natural, the way Roy doubts his situation. I should finish reading it! =D
Oh, you have no idea how glad I am to hear that, I thought people were gonna find it UN-natural! XD I'm a very big perfectionist and quite insecure, so I get scared and think I've written things OOC. My friends have had to multiple times assure me over MSN - after reading the bit I'm worried about - that I'm writing IC and doing fantastic. X3;; Eh heh heh...
Yay, you should finish it! I uploaded the 6th chapter just this weekend and am hoping to upload the 7th this one coming up. :3 The 6th chapter was a very, very important one where alot of stuff happened (Barry!) happy.gif

QUOTE(Kenji)
You have a Yaoi one...why not make another Yuri one? tongue.gif

Maybe~ X333

Actually there's a fic coming up with both yaoi and yuri. And lots of it too. (The premise is rather insane, but basically, Roy finds himself in a world with strange alternates of the rest of the cast, and everyone is homosexual. Like, Maes is a cat boy, Ed is a tempermental 'queen', Envy is enjoying a mad tea party, Fuery is a rabbit, and every male is hitting on him, when all he wanted to do was avoid paperwork. XD Which world would this be? Why, [spoiler]Wonderland[/spoiler] of course >:33~)

[spoiler]No really, it's FMA done Alice in Wonderland style, although it takes more out of Miyuki-chan in Wonderland...which is basically AiW yuri style. XD And yes, Fuery is the White Rabbit, Hughes the Cheshire Cat (although called 'Cheshughes Cat'), Ed the Queen of Hearts, Envy the Mad Hatter, Lust the March Hare (an excuse to put her in a bunny costume) and so on. It's gonna be crack-tacular. ;3[/spoiler]

QUOTE(Kenji)
I can imagine the whole scene in my head. Great story. Nice job! smile.gif
and I am shocked, very shocked that you can come out with such masterpiece in just 10 minutes.

Thank you. smile.gif What can I say? Writing is my passion, and I can write up something great in few minutes so long as I have the right muse and some paper. (Most of my stories nowadays get done on paper first, although not always) ^^

--------------------
My icon comm

+Quote Post
Edamame
post Apr 12 2007, 08:28 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 38,530

Fushigi Rockna: That was a truly sweet work. I am not a fan of the Hughes and Roy pairing, but I rather like this somber little piece. It makes me happy to read a well-written short fan-fiction.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2016 - 01:55 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css