HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Should Women Fight On The Front Line?, War is an equal opportunity killer
Should Women Fight On The Front Line?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 31
Guests cannot vote 
Twilightz
post Mar 20 2007, 07:51 AM
Post #16

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 45,523

Why not? I'm sure it would work in some way. And there are women that want to fight for their country and help it survive through bad times.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Amol
post Mar 20 2007, 09:43 AM
Post #17

Major General

Member No.: 39,340

If they think they can handle it, sure, let them at it. Training and expectations should be on par with what is expected of the men, though.

Neph, i think that is applicable for all cases , you train anyone in the world to do anything and....!

But I think women should not be war , and Twilightz if women want to help their country during a war than sure they can , but on the front line there are others waves for that , for example they can be more proficient nurses and help out the wounded and injured rather than on the front lines ....!

+Quote Post
Nepharski
post Mar 20 2007, 10:17 AM
Post #18

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 23,257

Sorry. Just flashbacks to physical education where less was expected of the girls than the guys. In a war scenario, though, if women are to support their brothers and sisters on the frontlines, they should be expected to match their male counterparts' physical efforts and skills. Field agents need to rely on each other, so know lax treatment for some just because they're female.

Personally, I'm not sure how suited women are to a warring environment either, but like I said, if they think they can and they want to, let them try. We'll separate those who can from those who cannot, and walk away with a good force on our shoulders.

--------------------
Attention Manga Lust fans:
Lust is dead. Finished. Kaput. Joined the Choir Invisible. Roy Mustang incinerated her repeatedly until her Philosopher's Stone dried up and dissolved into nothingness ("Mu" for you Japanese cultural enthusiasts). And she will remain killed off, written out of the plot. Greed was reincarnated because Father saved his Philosopher's Stone and had a guinea pig on hand. Lust is gone. Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.
In the event that Hiromu Arakawa can skillfully maneuver around this narrative plot hole, I will eat my words with a pinch of salt.
Nepharski - Our first, last, and hopeful not only line of defense against bad Homunculi theories.

My LiveJournal, because I'm a closet conformist

+Quote Post
Roy the Flame Al...
post Mar 20 2007, 10:28 AM
Post #19

Citizen

From: Los Angeles...and Bills Tacos...those are good Tacos.
Member No.: 43,251

If a woman wants to fight on the front line..tha i think she should be allowed to but i also see why the armed forces wouldnt let....it has been proven when a female service man is captured by the enemy..different methods of torture are used....and i think you guys no what i mean....so i do understand why they wouldnt want to put any woman in that position....

--------------------
<Your sig was too big (tall) for this board. The Max sig space for our board,
including all texts and pics, is 500 pix wide x 300 pix high, which is this much space.
You can shrink your sig pic a bit, right?? Thanks!! ^^>

"War is one of the most evil things to which we scarificed ourselves"

~Franz Marc 1915

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/Death395/Roy02.jpg

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Mar 20 2007, 02:20 PM
Post #20

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

I'm inclined to say no.
For a start men tend to be physically stronger so female soldiers would become a weak link in a defensive line if it gets up close and personal. It also means that there would be statistically fewer women capable of using heavier weapons.
Secondly men have been shown to be more capable at reading maps and with spacial awareness which are important for front line troops.
Mixed formations (groups with both genders) work well as far as I know but very few of these formations work on the front line (Again, only as far as I know.) If female troops get into a jam, as is not uncommon even for male soldiers, then their comrades may feel more inclined to risk their necks these women needlessly where they would normally not.
There is also the threat of capture and rape. I realise this perfectly applicable to male troops as well but if female troops are ever captured then there is probably an increased risk of rape and abuse.

If you can get female troops who can match men then that's fine, all the luck to them but women have better natural abilities that make them bettered to other (actually more risky) roles like counter intelligence (women having better memories, generally better at thinking on their feet.)

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Amol
post Mar 21 2007, 12:44 AM
Post #21

Major General

Neph , I dont think only training suffices for everything , you need to have a instinct in you too.
Also like Popo has mentioned the points where men are more capable , like physical strength cannot be compensated.

Its not about the lax treatment , they can be engaged in many other very helpful things during war time, its not necessary to only help by fight on the front !
I'm sure they can help more without being on the front !

+Quote Post
Nepharski
post Mar 21 2007, 02:04 AM
Post #22

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 23,257

And I never said it sufficed for everything. Personally, I don't think women are that suited to the battlefield (see Popo's post), but again, I'm open to them proving themselves.

--------------------
Attention Manga Lust fans:
Lust is dead. Finished. Kaput. Joined the Choir Invisible. Roy Mustang incinerated her repeatedly until her Philosopher's Stone dried up and dissolved into nothingness ("Mu" for you Japanese cultural enthusiasts). And she will remain killed off, written out of the plot. Greed was reincarnated because Father saved his Philosopher's Stone and had a guinea pig on hand. Lust is gone. Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.
In the event that Hiromu Arakawa can skillfully maneuver around this narrative plot hole, I will eat my words with a pinch of salt.
Nepharski - Our first, last, and hopeful not only line of defense against bad Homunculi theories.

My LiveJournal, because I'm a closet conformist

+Quote Post
Amol
post Mar 21 2007, 02:43 AM
Post #23

Major General

Neph , Women have proved themselves everywhere (other than battlefields I guess) tongue.gif

But Anyways I too dont really think that they are suited for Field Operations, not they cant ~!

+Quote Post
Twilightz
post Mar 21 2007, 05:44 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 45,523

What if they want to battle in front of the line? I'm saying that if some woman has a good shape, she's intelligent, talented when using weapons and she has all the other skills that are needed in the army, why would anyone turn her away? It's true that raping and abuse is possible when a woman is captured, but if somebody still wants to battle then we should let her. There can be field operations that are suited for women and both genders.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Amol
post Mar 21 2007, 08:42 AM
Post #25

Major General

Twilightz, there are soo many things people want to do but are restricted to, so anyone cannot do anything !

But in this case there is no need for a restriction , Women who feel that they can help the country during a war on the front , sure they should go , but as you mentioned there would be only some , so its difficult to manage.
Difficult to manage in terms that we cant make a regiment separately for women (or may be we can) , that would be certainly not good , and many other things, but none the less if they think they should , then sure opt of this service.

+Quote Post
alchemist x
post Mar 21 2007, 09:55 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 5,537

mad.gif NO they should be home making me some bacon!

--------------------

^^^^^^^^^^ look what i made ^^^^^^^^^^
>>>>>My Deviantart site that YOU should go to!<<<<<

+Quote Post
Colette
post Mar 21 2007, 03:21 PM
Post #27

Brigadier General

Member No.: 27,366

QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Mar 20 2007, 02:20 PM) [snapback]519997[/snapback]
I'm inclined to say no.
For a start men tend to be physically stronger so female soldiers would become a weak link in a defensive line if it gets up close and personal. It also means that there would be statistically fewer women capable of using heavier weapons.
Secondly men have been shown to be more capable at reading maps and with spacial awareness which are important for front line troops.
Mixed formations (groups with both genders) work well as far as I know but very few of these formations work on the front line (Again, only as far as I know.) If female troops get into a jam, as is not uncommon even for male soldiers, then their comrades may feel more inclined to risk their necks these women needlessly where they would normally not.
There is also the threat of capture and rape. I realise this perfectly applicable to male troops as well but if female troops are ever captured then there is probably an increased risk of rape and abuse.

If you can get female troops who can match men then that's fine, all the luck to them but women have better natural abilities that make them bettered to other (actually more risky) roles like counter intelligence (women having better memories, generally better at thinking on their feet.)

I agree with everything you said here.

Really, it's not sexist =/ It's putting everyone where they have the most potential to be useful.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Little Washu
post Mar 21 2007, 08:43 PM
Post #28

Lt. General

Member No.: 31,492

mad.gif NO they should be home making me some bacon!

Typical male thing to say.

Women are just as strong as men and we can take care of ourselves. Women should be able to fight on the front lines out of choice, same with men. In fact, there shouldn't be any front lines. If countries could just get along then we wouldn't have this problem.

--------------------

d a| Y a k u s o k u |t u m b l r

+Quote Post
Amol
post Mar 22 2007, 12:17 AM
Post #29

Major General

QUOTE(Little Washu @ Mar 22 2007, 09:13 AM) [snapback]520612[/snapback]
Women are just as strong as men and we can take care of ourselves. Women should be able to fight on the front lines out of choice, same with men.

Women can take care of themselves and men can too , but you just forgot we are living in a dependent soceity , so why not share our part of work.

QUOTE(Little Washu @ Mar 22 2007, 09:13 AM) [snapback]520612[/snapback]
In fact, there shouldn't be any front lines. If countries could just get along then we wouldn't have this problem.

^ thats a completely different thing, off topic, but anyways there cant be such a situation , I think this one-world concept is purely idealistic.
If you think about it , then your only wasting your time !

+Quote Post
Kenji
post Mar 22 2007, 01:01 AM
Post #30

Brigadier General

Member No.: 44,341

It is rather hilarious that there were no news about a woman ran into a 5 star hotel kitchen and shout to the chefs "What the h#ll are you all doing in here, doing activities that meant for the weaker sex?"

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th June 2016 - 12:38 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css