HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Technology At Schools, Should we have laptops and stuff....
Should we have have all the lastest tech at school ?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 20
Guests cannot vote 
Kenji
post Mar 3 2007, 04:29 AM
Post #16

Brigadier General

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,341

My former school is among the schools in Malaysia which is categorized in the "SMART School" Category...

My whole school is Wi-Fi enabled and we even have a "Cyber Cafe" to hang in after school... But teachings in my school still uses books and whiteboards and we write using pens on exercise books... Literally...we are required to do projects using computers but homeworks must all be handwritten...

IMO that is a well balanced method if technology should be implement in school... Laptops in schools should strictly only for copying note purposes and homeworks should be done by hand... In a nutshell...it is wise to introduce technology in schools but without making students lazier...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
asunder
post Mar 3 2007, 05:18 AM
Post #17

Special Ops (Intelligence Officer)
Group Icon

Group: Moderating Admin
Member No.: 30,877

I think we should stick to the traditional pen and paper method of instruction. at least till high school. Technology is really too distracting...not to mention expensive.We should probably increase the salaries of teachers instead.

--------------------
Everytime you post something mind numbingly retarded, this forum crashes.

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Mar 3 2007, 06:31 AM
Post #18

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

I agree with Asu, also, by having all your work on one item if it gets stolen or lost then that's all your work gone. Not many people bother burning things onto disc.
Also, if you all had laptops and with increasing use of Wi-fi technology kids will spend most of their lessons IM'ing each other or sending each other Goatse.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
~Kurenai~
post Jun 16 2007, 04:49 PM
Post #19

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 36,779

people are beginning to rely too much on technology these days. plus, all that money to pay for the labtops..could be going somewhere else where it is needed more, like africa or something. not to mention what about repair costs and upgrades. but, some schools already do have that, laptops for every student.

+Quote Post
Night Shadow Alc...
post Jun 16 2007, 05:11 PM
Post #20

Citizen

Member No.: 47,107

my school does, most students have laptops and we have smart boards in every class room. ive got a laptop which i use for everything. But the school really rips us off becuase they put loads of crap software on it and then put that into the overall costs. It pisses me off but i love having my laptop its almost worth paying for.

--------------------

________________________________________________________________________________
NIGHT SHADOW ALCHEMIST

+Quote Post
~Kurenai~
post Jun 18 2007, 07:01 PM
Post #21

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 36,779

QUOTE(Night Shadow Alchemist @ Jun 16 2007, 05:11 PM) [snapback]553013[/snapback]
my school does, most students have laptops and we have smart boards in every class room. ive got a laptop which i use for everything. But the school really rips us off becuase they put loads of crap software on it and then put that into the overall costs. It pisses me off but i love having my laptop its almost worth paying for.

yes but what about the people who can't really afford to have a laptop? or might not be able to take care of it properly? well that won't be the case for those prestigious schools...

+Quote Post
Night Shadow Alc...
post Jun 19 2007, 03:31 AM
Post #22

Citizen

our shcool isnt pretigious, its not private school or anything its a state school i htink so anyone can get it. We have great tec and yeh i know not everyone can afford it so our school pays for half the laptop for those who cant afford to buy it themselves. At the end of the three years when the laptop contract ends we get to keep the laptops biggrin.gif

--------------------

________________________________________________________________________________
NIGHT SHADOW ALCHEMIST

+Quote Post
Naivete
post Jun 20 2007, 12:39 AM
Post #23

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 43,484

While tech is indeed good, I personally think we should stick with our pen and paper method. For one, it's easier (for me, not sure about anyone else) to remember any notes I wrote down if I actually physically wrote it.
Money from buying computers/laptops for every student could instead, be spent on hiring better teachers. On the money issue, I'm not really sure that every family could afford a laptop for each child in the family.
Technology keeps changing. To keep up with it would be impossible for most families, money-wise.
And we keep becoming lazier. smile.gif
Plus, when it comes to state tests like the HSC, your examiners aren't going to supply you computers to type your essay on. Now that would just be silly! XD If we don't practice writing now, what will we do if we must write a ten page essay in an hour or so? I really don't think they'll supply laptops for each student..XDD

However, technology can be a real asset when it comes to teaching material. For an example, our school recently installed smartboards in each of our comp rooms. If we have the occasional lesson in a comp room, the teacher doesn't need every student to crowd around a single computer to demonstrate. I still don't agree on the idea of laptops though...XD

I like computers, but I really think we should keep the same system, at least until we have a need for everyday use of tech like in uni or something.. I don't even think I'd want one for uni...

EDIT: Sorry If I sound like I'm writing an essay..

--------------------

Destitute shrine maidens need no donation boxes.

Romantically Apocalyptic
It summons cancer.

+Quote Post
Night Shadow Alc...
post Jun 20 2007, 12:49 AM
Post #24

Citizen

it doesnt bother me anymore cause ive finished school now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry for going off topic

--------------------

NIGHT SHADOW ALCHEMIST

+Quote Post
That One Dude
post Aug 21 2007, 07:47 PM
Post #25

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 46,559

In our school, it's required to have laptops. Personaly, I think it's a little more organized, because our books are in CD's and they are soooo much lighter, smile.gif and we can write down our work on WORD and surf the internet for information right in the classroom, which makes everything so much easier.

But when they are reffering to 'technology', it isn't just laptops, it's everything technological in general... If the schools had computers right in the classrooms and it wouldn't be necesary for us to buy it, then there wouldn't be that problem with the money and such. And also, we need not be lazy. Physical education can prevent that smile.gif

--------------------
You aren't scared, are you?

+Quote Post
Fushi
post Aug 22 2007, 11:25 AM
Post #26

Lt. General

Member No.: 37,703

No.

Because I can't doodle on a computer. dry.gif

Plus, I'm one of those kids easily distracted by computers. (ADD doesn't help) I tried doing one of my courses online before....didn't work so I did it through traditional correspondance with books. And just look at what I do all day at work. XDDD; At school, I'd be no better.

--------------------
My icon comm

"I can't stand RoyxHughes (he's married and has a daughter!)"
Popo: "Brace for Fushi! *cowers*"

Huge Maes Hughes fan. In fact I'm even the Maes Hughes of livejournal. Really. Look for me under "M"

+Quote Post
Innocent-malice
post Sep 27 2007, 11:39 PM
Post #27

Apprentice

Member No.: 48,225

well I think it's a good idea but I am in a strange situation.
I go to a type of home school where all my classes are online, its considered the same as a oublic school so Im not missing out on anything like a high school diploma or scholarships but its harder then public school. We use an online text book called glencoe and we have passwords to get into our accounts. As for the falling behind thing we go to the campus once a week(and take PE two times a week) then check in with our teachers, if we fall behind our parents get calls from the teachers then if that doesnt help we have to sign a contract and so forth untill we get expelled.
Yeah... just ask if you want to know more.

--------------------
Gone. if you should want to contact me Ill be at My deviantart

+Quote Post
Kari_Neko
post Nov 15 2007, 09:07 AM
Post #28

Brigadier General

Member No.: 47,799

I think we should use laptops at least just for notes and stuff.At the school I'm at they give us so much home work it's not even funny and I have like 10 notebooks so it's hard to look for a certain one when you have all of them with you.If you had a laptop you could use the word for notes it would help alot for me.Home work should be done by hand though so you could improve your hand writing.This is just my opinion though.

--------------------
I'd much rather to be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not:Andre Gide
I do not own the avvy or siggy!

[My DeviantART]

+Quote Post
EniviD EiraM
post Feb 18 2010, 01:59 AM
Post #29

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,525

YES ...

reference books are effective but putting up film showing about a subject will gain interest from the students and more information ...

laptops are efficient and handy for busy students

generally, schools that use technology is great but schools must put a limit for someway .. and they should make studying sound interestinf, fun, and educational smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Katya Martin
post Feb 18 2010, 11:02 PM
Post #30

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,181

I'd stay on the side of moderation. Laptops for the class are a great thing in some instances; my high school English class got to use school laptops occasionally on projects, and they were pretty useful, but I don't think they should be used for everything.

Now that I'm in college (for computer science even) and my laptop's become like an extra limb, I've realized disadvantages to having it out in class all the time; while it's mad useful for notes and such, it also has the internet, and I lose more attention to my email than I do to doodling on notes. It also depends on subject; it's great to have in programming lectures, because I can try out the techniques the professor's teaching us, and history and the like are all right because I can just take notes in Word, but maths and laptops just don't work; it's much easier to write down equations than work with the formula editor, and because of the bad teaching and incomprehensible material of this particular class I just end up on the internet. School machines, of course, would have blocks on the internet (no wireless internet would be impractical for a number of reasons) but in my experience a determined high-school student will usually get around the blocks and then tell their friends how.

Teaching with technology's great, too, if the teacher knows how to use it; Powerpoint is awesome. I don't think laptops in class are always a good idea though.

--------------------

awesomeness by Arakawa, Project FMA banner by Aribelle, avatar by me
I draw things.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2016 - 11:04 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css