Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Human Cloning
Vivii
post Feb 13 2007, 09:52 PM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,673

Ok Hi everyone Im am really new to this site, but It is one of my favorite FMA sites and I Really enjoy coming to it:D anyways my question is Since Science can already produce Cloned animals, but when (if they havent already) they make human clones, what will become of them, because they wont actually have a soul will they??? Will they be like a Homunculus( sorry if improper spelling) And what about emotions and memories, will Clones be able to have those, or will they just be dolls!??? Will they only be able to produce a walking shell? I mean is it possible for clones to have fear, love, hate, etc.. the common emotions that we possess? I would love to hear from u guys on this one( oh yeah, if this topic has already been talked about sorry lol, im new:D)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Popogeejo
post Feb 14 2007, 03:15 AM
Post #2

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

Since Science can already produce Cloned animals, but when (if they havent already) they make human clones, what will become of them, because they wont actually have a soul will they???
Clones would be just like normal babies, I don't get why you think they would not have a soul. (Don't base ideas on cartoons please.)

Will they be like a Homunculus( sorry if improper spelling)

In so far as they would have independent personalities from those they were "cloned" from. no super powers though.

And what about emotions and memories, will Clones be able to have those, or will they just be dolls!?
They would have memories and emotions. (Even the homunculi you are basing your idea of clones on had emotions and the ability to retain information.)

Will they only be able to produce a walking shell?

Who would clone an Emo? tongue.gif No, I'm sure they would be able to clone a perfectly normal human. It would be genetically identical to what it was cloned from (unless the scientists try some other stuff) but it would have it's own personality, just like twins and triplets.

I mean is it possible for clones to have fear, love, hate, etc.. the common emotions that we possess?

Yes. Emotions are caused by chemicals in the brain being secreted by environmental factors so a genetically identical clone will have all the emotions of whatever it was cloned from.

Also, there is no evidence of souls or how one gets one. They are not the source of emotion nor are they the factor that lets you have a memory.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Feb 14 2007, 03:26 AM
Post #3

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

I do believe they already have cloned a human..least that is something I heard once. The idea that clones will just be 'empty shells with no soul' is a very old idea and I suppose still is to people who fear progression in medicine. Just like Popo said an identical twin is a clone of its other half...are they empty shelled freaks?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lost Alchemist
post Feb 14 2007, 05:49 AM
Post #4

Citizen

From: Morning over Kamina's death, that was nearly three weeks ago
Member No.: 44,670

na i think that the clones will just like others. just without a hm.......can't spell now i'll be back when i get the spelling for the word i want!

--------------------

Don't believe in yourself, Believe in me, who believes in you ~Kamina
I thank Lanara for my evil cute kitty! And since I am dead, I can take off my head
To recite Shakespearean quotations

+Quote Post
Vivii
post Feb 14 2007, 03:35 PM
Post #5

Citizen

Member No.: 44,673

No Sorry I didn't mean to base it off a cartoon, hehe:d I wasn't implying FMA at all or any other cartoon. Haha Ya but good point i never thought about Twins and triplets:P

+Quote Post
Nepharski
post Feb 14 2007, 04:58 PM
Post #6

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 23,257

I question the process and the application more than the thing itself. Going with my late night television viewing schedule, anyone ever seen Gattaca? Or even The Pretender? We hear about Dolly the sheep and all that, and that's great, but I wonder just how many of Dolly's potential siblings they had to go through to get a perfect clone, and what they did with those "Siblings" if they weren't quite what they were looking for.

Fantastical, perhaps, but today's science fiction is tomorrow's science fact.

Cloning offers valuable opportunities to create organs for transplants, possibly study and cure some diseases, but I can't say I'm fond of the idea of total human cloning, if we even need it in the first place. And humans are an entirely different animal than sheep or dogs; what complications might arise? Metal Gear Solid, anyone?

--------------------
Attention Manga Lust fans:
Lust is dead. Finished. Kaput. Joined the Choir Invisible. Roy Mustang incinerated her repeatedly until her Philosopher's Stone dried up and dissolved into nothingness ("Mu" for you Japanese cultural enthusiasts). And she will remain killed off, written out of the plot. Greed was reincarnated because Father saved his Philosopher's Stone and had a guinea pig on hand. Lust is gone. Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.
In the event that Hiromu Arakawa can skillfully maneuver around this narrative plot hole, I will eat my words with a pinch of salt.
Nepharski - Our first, last, and hopeful not only line of defense against bad Homunculi theories.

My LiveJournal, because I'm a closet conformist

+Quote Post
Amalthea
post Feb 14 2007, 07:04 PM
Post #7

Alchemists

Member No.: 44,604

The cloning of people is 295879 times more disturbing to me than animal cloning. Maybe it's because I consider humans to be of a higher order than other animals, but even for medical reasons, it's just amiss by my morals. I mean, seeing a fellow human being that was fabricated from a real person who was actually born is bothersome to me.

--------------------

Thank you, Ms. Arakawa, for sharing this wonderful, enriching story that has affected so many of us!

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Feb 14 2007, 07:23 PM
Post #8

Master Alchemist

QUOTE(Amalthea @ Feb 15 2007, 02:04 AM) [snapback]505259[/snapback]
The cloning of people is 295879 times more disturbing to me than animal cloning.

Yay for random numbers!

I mean, seeing a fellow human being that was fabricated from a real person who was actually born is bothersome to me.

What about IVF? It's basically the same thing.
Plenty of humans have been made in "unnatural" ways.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kenji
post Feb 14 2007, 07:40 PM
Post #9

Brigadier General

Member No.: 44,341

QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Feb 15 2007, 10:23 AM) [snapback]505283[/snapback]
I mean, seeing a fellow human being that was fabricated from a real person who was actually born is bothersome to me.

What about IVF? It's basically the same thing.
Plenty of humans have been made in "unnatural" ways.

At least IVF still involves male and female gamete... and the embryo is implanted back into the mother's womb which means, receiving nutrient from the fetus's parent thru umbilical cord... Human Cloning is 100% test tube... and it doesn't involved male and female gamete... which goes against the law of reproduction.

Most of the "unnatural ways" still involves womb...

IMO Human Cloning is forbidden because we as human, who lust for longevity will abuse them[the cloned ones]. We will abuse them, make them as our spare parts... For instance, when I lost a limb during an accident, I will get another replacement limb from my clone, instead of getting prothestic limbs... The "procedure" of removing his[my cloned one] limb will make him suffer... Removing his limb will make his ability limited...and how about when removing his heart, liver, lungs and brain when we need either of that? Without that, they will die and automatically...we have committed murder... Cloned humans does have the right to live... not treated as a body part bin...

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Feb 15 2007, 02:45 AM
Post #10

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

^ We will not create humans just to farm body parts off. If religion and other opposing forces would allow for stem cells to be used no human would have to be born and raised to save anothers life. The cloning you are talking about belongs in a Sci-Fi film. Society will not go ahead with cloning until it can completely justify creating clones.

In fact what you just said sounds exactly like a novel I read...fiction one I might add.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kenji
post Feb 15 2007, 04:38 AM
Post #11

Brigadier General

QUOTE(Chiyo @ Feb 15 2007, 05:45 PM) [snapback]505426[/snapback]
^ We will not create humans just to farm body parts off. If religion and other opposing forces would allow for stem cells to be used no human would have to be born and raised to save anothers life. The cloning you are talking about belongs in a Sci-Fi film. Society will not go ahead with cloning until it can completely justify creating clones.

In fact what you just said sounds exactly like a novel I read...fiction one I might add.

It might sounds fiction...but if human cloning is permitted, do you think this practice will happen? I bet on it!! It will happen surely happen...

Stem cells only forms a particular organ/body part depending on its engineering...but what I am saying here is butchering another people to save another human live if human cloning is permitted...

Stem cell research and human cloning belongs to different genetic engineering field...

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Feb 15 2007, 05:27 AM
Post #12

Master Alchemist

At least IVF still involves male and female gamete... and the embryo is implanted back into the mother's womb which means, receiving nutrient from the fetus's parent thru umbilical cord... Human Cloning is 100% test tube... and it doesn't involved male and female gamete... which goes against the law of reproduction.
There is no reason why clones could not be grown in a womans womb...
And even if it is test tube it's still a person.

IMO Human Cloning is forbidden because we as human, who lust for longevity will abuse them[the cloned ones]. We will abuse them, make them as our spare parts... For instance, when I lost a limb during an accident, I will get another replacement limb from my clone, instead of getting prothestic limbs... The "procedure" of removing his[my cloned one] limb will make him suffer... Removing his limb will make his ability limited...and how about when removing his heart, liver, lungs and brain when we need either of that? Without that, they will die and automatically...we have committed murder... Cloned humans does have the right to live... not treated as a body part bin...

Now your going into speculation with without a sense of logic. If we are going to make clones to use as spare parts we will not be making fully active humans. If we were going to do this we would create semi perfect clone without, for example, heads (yes, this is perfectly plausible). They would be kept alive via artificial means and been unaware of their existence. No Human rights breaches, no suffering, only spare parts. Chiyo is right though, no Human rights group will let this happen because they are stupid.

We hear about Dolly the sheep and all that, and that's great, but I wonder just how many of Dolly's potential siblings they had to go through to get a perfect clone, and what they did with those "Siblings" if they weren't quite what they were looking for.

Perfectly valid point. That is why we are doing these experiments on animals to see if we can perfect the method first. True, it may not be the same for people but so far animal testing has been proven to be hugely valuable. As for what happened to the failures, the Healthy ones were probably kept as research subjects and the malformed ones would have been put down and autopsied. I'p point out though that the odds of a malformed specimen being produced would probably be the same as in nature, the scientists weren't changing any of the DNA after all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kenji
post Feb 15 2007, 06:08 AM
Post #13

Brigadier General

QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Feb 15 2007, 08:27 PM) [snapback]505450[/snapback]
There is no reason why clones could not be grown in a womans womb...
And even if it is test tube it's still a person.

The only reason why clones could not be grown in a woman's womb is because clones are 100% test tube!! Clones are human without belly button, which means they doesn't have umbilical cord attached to them when they are a foetus... but cloning is like running a human factory...Futhermore, I din't stat that clones doesn't deserve to live... How the society will treat them[the clones] is still unknown...Rather than pity them later, I rather goes against it, since prevention is better than cure...

We hear about Dolly the sheep and all that, and that's great, but I wonder just how many of Dolly's potential siblings they had to go through to get a perfect clone, and what they did with those "Siblings" if they weren't quite what they were looking for.
Perfectly valid point. That is why we are doing these experiments on animals to see if we can perfect the method first. True, it may not be the same for people but so far animal testing has been proven to be hugely valuable. As for what happened to the failures, the Healthy ones were probably kept as research subjects and the malformed ones would have been put down and autopsied. I'p point out though that the odds of a malformed specimen being produced would probably be the same as in nature, the scientists weren't changing any of the DNA after all.

Animal cloning has been proven to be successful till now...even the FDA approved the consumption of meat from cloned animals...

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Feb 15 2007, 06:12 AM
Post #14

Master Alchemist

The only reason why clones could not be grown in a woman's womb is because clones are 100% test tube!!
Why?

Futhermore, I din't stat that clones doesn't deserve to live...
No one you did...

Rather than pity them later, I rather goes against it, since prevention is better than cure...
We should still have the cure available if the prevention doesn't work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kenji
post Feb 15 2007, 06:28 AM
Post #15

Brigadier General

QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Feb 15 2007, 09:12 PM) [snapback]505457[/snapback]
The only reason why clones could not be grown in a woman's womb is because clones are 100% test tube!!
Why?

Because clones are born from somatic cell nuclear transfer [SCNT]!! It doesn't need any womb... thus clones are 100% test tube...

Futhermore, I din't stat that clones doesn't deserve to live...
No one you did...

Glad to know that...

Rather than pity them later, I rather goes against it, since prevention is better than cure...
We should still have the cure available if the prevention doesn't work.

Whats the cure? How? Grand massacre? Chop them into hamburger meat and feed to the tigers at zoo? Aww...yuck

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2016 - 06:37 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css