HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Funding For Our Space Program, Do you think it is worth the money?
Elric13
post Feb 7 2007, 05:28 PM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,404

Well, billions of dollars are spent on funding Space programs. What's your opinion on this?

My opinion: I think it is a waste of money that is spent purely on our own curiosity. I mean, so what if humans do discover life on far away planets? How will that physically help our well being other than knowledge? There are so many other ways to use the the tax payer's dollars, such as feeding the poor, and finding new cures to fight deadly diseases.

I talk about things like this with my friends sometimes. I'm curious to know what your opinion is.

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Feb 7 2007, 05:34 PM
Post #2

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

In the long run it will be helpful. No one can say what discoveries will and won't aid humanity.
Humans are explorers and travellers by nature, one day we are going to try and go to a new planet. Hell, if humanity wants to avoid extinction then space travel is the only choice available.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Kenji
post Feb 7 2007, 05:42 PM
Post #3

Brigadier General

Member No.: 44,341

The universe is such a huge place....We might not know whats lurking at some corners of the universe... perhaps there might be another planet more beautiful than earth... With space research we only will be able to know whats lurking at some corners of the universe...

+Quote Post
Nepharski
post Feb 7 2007, 07:34 PM
Post #4

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 23,257

It's important in its own way, but should definitely be put on the back burner when compared with other, more pressing financial issues.

--------------------
Attention Manga Lust fans:
Lust is dead. Finished. Kaput. Joined the Choir Invisible. Roy Mustang incinerated her repeatedly until her Philosopher's Stone dried up and dissolved into nothingness ("Mu" for you Japanese cultural enthusiasts). And she will remain killed off, written out of the plot. Greed was reincarnated because Father saved his Philosopher's Stone and had a guinea pig on hand. Lust is gone. Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.
In the event that Hiromu Arakawa can skillfully maneuver around this narrative plot hole, I will eat my words with a pinch of salt.
Nepharski - Our first, last, and hopeful not only line of defense against bad Homunculi theories.

My LiveJournal, because I'm a closet conformist

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Feb 7 2007, 07:35 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,228

QUOTE(Kenji @ Feb 7 2007, 07:42 PM) [snapback]502278[/snapback]
perhaps there might be another planet more beautiful than earth...

Or alien overlords looking for another pathetic planet to conquer.

The space program has significant potential and does in fact bring discoveries to real life. There are many experiments that are best done in orbit, which could lead to other advances.

Of course, this is a gamble every way you look at it. There's nothing saying we won't hit a brick wall and have to stop the whole program due to some unforseen underlying problem. In fact, there still is the problem with our astronauts not having protection from any of the radiation out in space. For all we know, we could be creating long term dangerous mutations that will spread througout the gene pool from those astronauts exposed to radiation.

We can't use this money to solve poverty. No one supports one central viable plan to redistribute wealth. Plus eliminating poverty just isn't as cool as space exploration.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Slashrose1010
post Feb 7 2007, 08:39 PM
Post #6

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 3,609

More money on space exploration means less money for Bush to spend on foreign wars tongue.gif

No, but seriously, I don't see how anyone can consider space exploration and experimentation a complete waste of money. I can see how one may think that too much is funded towards space, but it is not an utter waste. You know how many existing things people use today are here because of space exploration experiments? Lots.

Aside from practical items on earth, building off of what Arche said, there are certain experiments better done or can only be done in space. Some of which can be applied to improve the earth as we know it. Either way, a better understanding of the universe can't hurt. Understanding outter space will help us understand earth and other celestial bodies.

Besides, we may need to advance space travel within the near future, just in case we eff up this planet and feel the need to infect some other space body.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Feb 7 2007, 08:50 PM
Post #7

Gallery Mod Emeritus

From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

I think we need to start building luxury condos on Mars, pronto.

We're gonna have a lot less land on which to develop real estate, once Global Warming takes effect.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Feb 8 2007, 04:29 AM
Post #8

Waterworld

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vash_the_Gunslin...
post Feb 8 2007, 04:09 PM
Post #9

Major General

Member No.: 33,355

On-topic:

I think that the Space Program is important and is not a total waste, but I sometimes think the serious cash that they dish out could be put to slightly more important issues.

Off-topic:

Global warming would not flood the earth like people think. Think of it like a glass of water. Fill the glass with water, I am talking about near the brim. You can measure it with a marker or something just to make sure where the water is. Then, take ice cubes, two or three, and put them in. Let the cubes melt and see how much water is gained. Not very much. The glass would not overflow. I do agree that global warming is a serious issue and has many effects on the environment, but I do not think that the earth would flood.

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Feb 8 2007, 04:25 PM
Post #10

Gallery Mod Emeritus

From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

First of all, the earth is not a glass of water.

Second of all, the earth doesn't have to be flooded 'a lot' for there to be a ton of damage done. A small rise in sea level [I'm talking 4 or 5 feet] would submerge 3/4 of the world's coastal cities.

Also, the Antarctic icecaps that are melting are set ON LAND, so if they flow into the sea, that alone would add a great deal of water to the oceans.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Feb 8 2007, 04:43 PM
Post #11

Off-topic:

My home is underwater according to some estimates of the effects of global warming sad.gif

On-Topic:

Apparently being an astronaut has been known to turn to violence. I think we need a social program to help cope with this potentially growing epidemic

--------------------

+Quote Post
esrz22
post Feb 8 2007, 09:48 PM
Post #12

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 42,735

I very much thing space exlporation, for knowledge and practical purposes, should be well funded. I rather like science. tongue.gif

On the ce thing: the Anarctic ice is not floating like the ice in water, and as such would add far more than the ice floating in water, such as the Arctic ice cap. I believe the peer-reviewed articles that for the most part state that, if things continue as they are going, global warming will do Bad things.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vash_the_Gunslin...
post Feb 9 2007, 06:06 AM
Post #13

Major General

Member No.: 33,355

QUOTE(Abstruse Eulogy @ Feb 8 2007, 05:25 PM) [snapback]502620[/snapback]
First of all, the earth is not a glass of water.

How observant. It is an example.

Second of all, the earth doesn't have to be flooded 'a lot' for there to be a ton of damage done. A small rise in sea level [I'm talking 4 or 5 feet]would submerge 3/4 of the world's coastal cities.

That is why we have levees and are building better ones. But some would get a water.

Also, the Antarctic icecaps that are melting are set ON LAND, so if they flow into the sea, that alone would add a great deal of water to the oceans.

Enough to flood?

I don't want to start an off-topic arguement, but the earth will not be flooded. Before global warming, we had trouble with global cooling. It is a back and forth battle.

+Quote Post
Molecular Alchem...
post Feb 9 2007, 07:48 AM
Post #14

Brigadier General

Member No.: 24,926

I think space exploration should be looked at later, mainly bc there are soo many things here on earth that we dont understand. I mean, yeah...now we know how quickly a hankerchief will float away in Zero-gravity when given a push with a Force of 10Neutons...but seriously....why the hell would we need to know that?

I think we should be focusing on underwater research...there is soo little we know about the oceans. Or better yet, give the funding to cancer research...granted NASA does give money to cancer research...but we can find treatments faster if we had ALL their money...or at least a good portion.

And then they went and made Pluto not a planet anymore...like they have nothing better to do at their meetings than sit and decide how to change textbooks by something as retarded as a new naming system for planets. Why dont they go do something more useful, like find a cure for AIDS.

--------------------

Proud Member of the Anti-Shou Movement
Honorable Vice-Captain of the Anti-Inoue Squad
BLEACH FANS UNITE!!!--new manga-based arc starts at epi 109!

+Quote Post
Bluewish
post Feb 9 2007, 06:13 PM
Post #15

Apprentice

Member No.: 37,464

Well...if it's something your interested in doing sure give it a shot!

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2016 - 09:15 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css