Reply to this topicStart new topic
British Researchers Create Chimeras
inuhariko
post Jan 6 2007, 12:42 PM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 42,980

I've been MIA since I jumped on here in early December, which I'm very bummed about, but I came across this article and thought about you all.

British Researchers Create Chimeras

Freaky, eh? What about equivalent exchange?

Cheers all!

P.S. If this was posted already, please delete. I did a quick search for chimera and didn't find it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Jan 6 2007, 12:52 PM
Post #2

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

Freaky, eh?
Not really. The idea was bound to crop sooner or later. Nothing has been done yet, it's still in the proposal stage.
Plus it's hardly the first "Chimera" (which we will be referring to as Hybrids from now on.)
There have been tons of mixed species. Look at mules (Donkey + horse) for a start. They are the most common hybrid. There are also Tiger/lions (and vies versa.)

What about equivalent exchange?

*groan*

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Shinobimelxi
post Jan 6 2007, 04:29 PM
Post #3

Alchemists

Member No.: 18,236

intresting article. smile.gif

QUOTE(inuhariko @ Jan 6 2007, 12:42 PM) [snapback]491964[/snapback]
What about equivalent exchange?

uhm, about that. Equivalent exchange is only used in Fullmetal Alchemist, in other words, the words are a use for fictional story telling from the storys plot. In real alchemy there is no such thing as equivalent exchange. Alchemy is the use of science, not trade.
They dont have to loose a limb or organ or human life to create something.
Also, in real life, alchemists dont clap their hands onto transmutation circles to create things, its not magic.
In conclusion-
Equivalent exchange is not needed in alchemy, or in science for that fact, its only used in Fullmetal Alchemist.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sweety_pie
post Jan 6 2007, 05:34 PM
Post #4

Major General

Member No.: 35,070

uhm, about that. Equivalent exchange is only used in Fullmetal Alchemist, in other words, the words are a use for fictional story telling from the storys plot. In real alchemy there is no such thing as equivalent exchange. Alchemy is the use of science, not trade
Equivalent exchange is not only used in FmA.
Wiki says,
"Aside from being an actual physical law, however, the principle of Equivalent Exchange is also adopted by some alchemists - the Elrics included - as a karmic way of life, believing the hard work, effort and suffering that one puts into any task will be met with an equivalent reward."
Besides alchemy used to be a science.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivalent_exchange
They dont have to loose a limb or organ or human life to create something.

Just because you do not loose a limb, or whatever, does not mean you do not have to have equivalent exchange.

Equivalent exchange is not needed in alchemy, or in science for that fact, its only used in Fullmetal Alchemist.

How did you come up with that?

Equivalent exchange is a version of the Law of Conservation of Matter

--------------------

Thank you so much Milky for the Siggie. You are the awesomest!

+Quote Post
Edamame
post Jan 8 2007, 11:01 AM
Post #5

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 38,530

That was a fascinating article Inu, but I agree with Popo that this scientific research was bound to happen. The article evens states that the heart valves of pig's have been used to treat people whose own heart valves no longer function properly. The article's focus is not on 'equivalent exchange', but rather on the ethical and moral issues behind the creation of hybrid embyros. Most of the fear and concerns generated from this proposal stems from misinformation. The article clearly states that no hybrid animal will ever be created; this research is strictly for cells. Either way, its an interesting article to discuss the ethics of science. Hybrid Embryo work 'under threat'

~I have a feeling that this thread should be moved to a different place.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gunslinger alche...
post Jun 29 2007, 01:45 AM
Post #6

Citizen

Member No.: 43,789

yes, the article is talking about chimeras, but to me it sounds fmore like gundam seed. in a way....

--------------------

Don't ask unless you really want to know because I WILL tell you.

+Quote Post
Menelvir
post Jun 29 2007, 10:38 AM
Post #7

Alchemists

Member No.: 46,907

QUOTE(Edamame)
~I have a feeling that this thread should be moved to a different place.

Same here. Open chat, maybe?

^ Gunslinger, I think I know what you mean. Humans are forever trying to challenge God's authority by proving they know better, and can do better. But it turns out wrong... "Zedonks" and "ligers", the productsof crossing a zebra and a donkey, and a tiger and a lion respectively, cannot reproduce, if I remember correctly. They can only exist, then die.

Also, as a side note, I find it rather amusing that humans go all out of their way to make genetically-modified food, and then start a protest against it, saying that there is no gurantee that such food is safe for consumption.

--------------------

~A painless lesson is one without any meaning; There is no coming to consciousness without pain~

Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

+Quote Post
Freya-chan
post Jun 29 2007, 10:52 AM
Post #8

Apprentice

Member No.: 46,952

^ i agree with menelvir they, in FMA terms are "chimeras and homunculus" they are a cross of two species and cannot reproduce

it isn't about equivalent exchange or law of conservation of mass or any law in FMA. This topic also relates to artificial insemination and saving endangered species. its an interesting article but like edamame said its about the controversy of these issues

--------------------

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Jun 29 2007, 10:54 AM
Post #9

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

, I find it rather amusing that humans go all out of their way to make genetically-modified food, and then start a protest against it, saying that there is no gurantee that such food is safe for consumption.

Lol, people have different opinions on a hugely important subject like agriculture. How silly are we that we have opposing ideas on whats best for the masses. rolleyes.gif

God damn this thread fails so much...

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Amethyst Sunset
post Jun 29 2007, 06:37 PM
Post #10

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 38,435

Equivalent Exchange is a principle used in alchemy in the fictional world of FMA, but it also applies to some aspects of life, like the Golden Rule of Christianity, and the amount of work and resources it takes to create something else.

And speaking of creating something else...according to something I've read some time ago, yes, people have always been trying to create hybrids, do things like this that are out of the ordinary and may help us in our lives (somehow XD). But apparently, many hybrids (like mules and leopons - lions and leopards crossed) end up becoming sterile and cannot mate together to produce a second generation of hybrids.

This is science, after all. Humans are naturally curious beings who want the unknown known, and the impossible possible.

--------------------

+Quote Post
That One Dude
post Jun 29 2007, 07:29 PM
Post #11

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 46,559

This is sort of like what they said in Jurassic Park: "God creates man, man creates dinosaur, man destroys God, dinosaur destroys man" Just replace 'dinosaur' with 'chimeras'... It will eventually happen if we keep sticking our nose into bussiness that's not ours. '.'

--------------------
You aren't scared, are you?

+Quote Post
Amethyst Sunset
post Jun 30 2007, 12:17 AM
Post #12

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 38,435

QUOTE(TOXIN13 @ Jun 30 2007, 10:29 AM) [snapback]557559[/snapback]
This is sort of like what they said in Jurassic Park: "God creates man, man creates dinosaur, man destroys God, dinosaur destroys man" Just replace 'dinosaur' with 'chimeras'... It will eventually happen if we keep sticking our nose into bussiness that's not ours. '.'

Alas, it is human nature for us to stick our noses into anything and everything. *bows*

Also explained in FMA. In episode 7, Shou Tucker did have a point when [spoiler]he insisted that he and Ed were the same, dabbling in science and doing things such as raising the dead and fusing humans with animals not only because of love, but also because they have the skills and knowledge to do so, something like that.[/spoiler]

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd July 2016 - 02:44 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css