HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
FMA Characters' Ages? (Manga And Anime: WARNING: Spoilers for both within!), Summary of info on the first post!
Hotmustard
post Aug 29 2009, 07:20 AM
Post #31

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 70,636

As far as I am concerned, Ed lost his mother when he was 10. In order to resurrect her he became Izumi's apprentice and trained with Al for one year. Then he failed at human transmutation when he was 11, losing one arm and one leg. Desperate to get Al's body back, he succeeded in finishing rehabilitation in only one year, and became the youngest state alchemist at the age of 12. Makes sense?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SneakyRuler
post Aug 30 2009, 01:41 AM
Post #32

Alchemists

Member No.: 67,760

Not sure about the actual number so I looked into the manga. When their mother died, Ed was still taller than Al and both of them were smaller than Pinako: http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/21/08/
And when Izumi becomes their teacher, the boys are already the same height (Al maybe a little taller) and taller than Pinako: http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/21/24/ so I guess there was a few years in between.

+Quote Post
kkg22104
post Aug 30 2009, 07:44 AM
Post #33

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 68,640

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the events didn't happen one right after the other, because after Trisha died Ed and Al continued going to school and studying ways to do human transmutation. After a while they decided they needed a teacher, which is when Izumi showed up and they spent a year with her. And then more time passed while they perfected their theory and gathered materials, so I'd say Ed and Al were definitely younger when they lost their mom.

--------------------

Sig made by Forsaken Love ^_^

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Aug 30 2009, 08:10 AM
Post #34

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

edward was DEFINATLY not 10 when trisha died XD the events inbetween can't have happened in a year, and they look waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too small to be 10, lol link of trisha's gravestone? that'll clear it up XD

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hotmustard
post Aug 30 2009, 11:02 AM
Post #35

Citizen

Member No.: 70,636

QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Aug 30 2009, 09:44 PM) *
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the events didn't happen one right after the other, because after Trisha died Ed and Al continued going to school and studying ways to do human transmutation. After a while they decided they needed a teacher, which is when Izumi showed up and they spent a year with her. And then more time passed while they perfected their theory and gathered materials, so I'd say Ed and Al were definitely younger when they lost their mom.

Well my bad. I realize it's illogical to assume Ed lost his mama at the at the age of 10 because at that time he looked smaller than he was when he tried the human transmutation wub.gif

+Quote Post
mandymtt
post Nov 11 2009, 03:34 AM
Post #36

Citizen

Member No.: 49,384

Has this been asked yet?

Got into a tiff with a friend... How much time has passed in the FMA world so far. Has is been a year or less? I was thinking more since Ed passed his exam at 12. Then when he meets Ling we Find out hes 16. Is is 17 now? Its lot to think about. Volume 23 is out. I was under the impression that Ed has to be at least 17 or 18. What do you guys think.

+Quote Post
Ropespinner
post Nov 11 2009, 03:45 AM
Post #37

Apprentice

Member No.: 46,466

QUOTE (mandymtt @ Nov 11 2009, 12:34 PM) *
Has this been asked yet?

Got into a tiff with a friend... How much time has passed in the FMA world so far. Has is been a year or less? I was thinking more since Ed passed his exam at 12. Then when he meets Ling we Find out hes 16. Is is 17 now? Its lot to think about. Volume 23 is out. I was under the impression that Ed has to be at least 17 or 18. What do you guys think.

When Ed met Ling, Ed was "almost 16" (Arakawa said somewhere that Ed's birthday is in the winter, and there was going to be a winter soon in the story). Now it's spring, so Ed is still 16. I think when the manga begun, it was late spring/early summer in 1914 (and Ed was 15 years old), and now it's spring in 1915. About a year has passed in the manga.
[quick edit] Oh, and Ed becoming a state alchemist happened in a flashback. It was late September or early October 1911, just a bit before the brothers burned down their house (see the date in Ed's watch; October 3th 1911).

--------------------
I'm Sallykie on LJ and most other forums, Seita on ZOMGFTA Forums.

+Quote Post
zonkiethegreat
post Nov 11 2009, 10:44 AM
Post #38

Alchemists

Member No.: 55,197

Hey I dunno if it's been asked, but How old is Olivia Armstrong??? She's supposed to be Alex's Older sister. Plus she's a pretty high rank. I know that FMA is a bit unrealistic when it comes to age and ranks in the military here. Like Roy being a Colonel at his age is pretty crazy.

So how old is Olivia??? She looks like she is in her 30's at the most.

--------------------

Visit the Roy X Winry fansite : http://royxwinry.weebly.com

+Quote Post
Billea_the_Turtl...
post Nov 11 2009, 02:00 PM
Post #39

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,334

She's probably in her late 30s. She looks way too young to 40. Then again this is a manga.

--------------------
"Wisdom begins in wonder." ~Socrates

+Quote Post
BirdieNumNum
post Nov 11 2009, 03:10 PM
Post #40

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,394

QUOTE (zonkiethegreat @ Nov 12 2009, 04:14 AM) *
Hey I dunno if it's been asked, but How old is Olivia Armstrong??? She's supposed to be Alex's Older sister. Plus she's a pretty high rank. I know that FMA is a bit unrealistic when it comes to age and ranks in the military here. Like Roy being a Colonel at his age is pretty crazy.

So how old is Olivia??? She looks like she is in her 30's at the most.

Well, being a State Alchemist, Mustang was already a Major when he started so he did get a bit of a head start.

As for Olivia, I've always imagined her to be in her late 30's maybe early 40's, simply because of the rank she has, but it's hard to tell for sure.

+Quote Post
Lost_in_translat...
post Nov 17 2009, 01:58 AM
Post #41

Citizen

Member No.: 68,889

I read on the net that Roy's birthday is on Oct 25 1885. Is that really true? I mean so far as I've known Arakawa never wanted to publish such kind of information..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Turdaewen
post Nov 17 2009, 07:51 AM
Post #42

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,395

QUOTE (Lost_in_translation @ Nov 17 2009, 06:58 AM) *
I read on the net that Roy's birthday is on Oct 25 1885. Is that really true? I mean so far as I've known Arakawa never wanted to publish such kind of information..

No, it's not. NO FMA characters have defined birth dates. Only year of birth, for some of them.

We know that Ed and Winry were born in 1899, Al was born in 1900 and both Roy and Hughes were born in 1885. But there's nothing about the month and day and I've seen various places and people claiming it was some particular date, but we're actually not even sure if the months in the FMA world are like ours! XD

That's just people making up.

If you are interested, though, the timeline of FMA, as stated in the Perfect Guidebook 1 is here: http://www.zomgfta.com/hagaren/timeline.html

--------------------

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
"By the power of truth I, while living, have conquered the universe"
Faust, Göethe

+Quote Post
Deadbeat007
post Nov 30 2009, 01:19 PM
Post #43

Citizen

Member No.: 72,024

~ Character Ages: A Few Questions ~

I tried doing a search for this thread, but didn't come up with anything. Sorry if this is a repost!

- Are Ed and Al still 15 and 14 in the manga?
- Have the ages of Mustang and the gang ever been mentioned?
- Say Al gains his body back in a year or two. Would his body grow during that time, or will his soul and body remain different ages?

I'm still getting caught up in the storyline, so sorry if any of these questions have blatant answers that I'm overlooking...

+Quote Post
SneakyRuler
post Nov 30 2009, 02:12 PM
Post #44

Alchemists

Member No.: 67,760

@Deadbeat007 - I try to answer your questions the best I can.

In the manga, Ed is 16 and Al 15, as almost a year has passed. Al's body is aging, so if he gets his body back, his 'soul age' and 'body age' will be the same.

Mustang's gang... now answer to that is more unclear. Mustang is 30 (he was 29 at the beginning of manga) but age of the others were never mentioned.
Breda, Havoc and Hawkeye are probably similar ages - all of them got to his team shortly after their graduation from military academy, so they are a few years younger than Musatang.
Fuery is (not sure here) younger than the three others... and I gave up on Falman. He might be older than all of them or he might just be young and grey. (I guess older but who knows?)

Tombow's link to character ages discussion isn't working for me so here it is in case there's something wrong with the link and not my computer.

+Quote Post
Turdaewen
post Nov 30 2009, 06:24 PM
Post #45

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,395

@Deadbeat007 - About Mustang Tachi, there're some things we know:

It seems like Havoc was a colegue to Hawkeye in the academy (I remember Rebecca talking something about them being at the same class, or something of the sort), so they're both probably about the same age. Riza was at least 17 when her father died (since she said she 'went to school'), combined to her being at the last year of academy during Ishval, in 1908, which makes me believe she's around 2 to 3 years younger than Mustang, which makes both her and Havoc being about 27-28 years old. They're definitely not younger than that.

Falman and Breda are a little younger, but not too much younger since they're both 2nd lieutenants (except for Falman at the start of the manga).So I'm figuring they're probably Falman around 26 and Breda 26~27.

And finally, Fuery. He's a sargent, and of course, the youngest. I'm guessing he's not out of academy for long, but he's definitely long enough to be selected as a subordinate to Mustang after Ishval, so I'm guessing he's around 23, 24...

So, summering up, by my calculations, it's something around this: (though not confirmed and only estimatives)
Riza and Havoc: 27~28
Breda: 26~27
Falman: ~26
Fuery: ~23

--------------------

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
"By the power of truth I, while living, have conquered the universe"
Faust, Göethe

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2016 - 01:21 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css