HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The 7 Sins (not Homunculi, Real Sins ^^) Discussions, Which one is the most dangerous/better/whatnot. Tell us your thoughts
The 7 Sins
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 75
Guests cannot vote 
Popogeejo
post Dec 31 2006, 06:08 PM
Post #31

Master Alchemist

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,420

Try and stay on topic, don't crap up debate district with mindless drivel. Go to the Character discussion for that.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Vash_the_Gunslin...
post Dec 31 2006, 08:19 PM
Post #32

Major General

Member No.: 33,355

I also think that envy is pretty high up there. If I were to put them in order:

1. Pride
2. Envy
3. Wrath
4. Greed
5. Lust
6. Sloth
7. Gluttony

I think that is reasonable.

+Quote Post
ed_drink_your_mi...
post Dec 31 2006, 09:28 PM
Post #33

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 39,252

I'd have to say envy. I say this because its ok to have some pride, but IMO envy is never ok. Envy only causes problems and I haven't found a situation yet where envy was a good thing. Wars are started because of envy (and others, but I'm just pointing out envy). EX: Wars over oil. One country ENVIES anothers oil supply, and starts a war. (I am aware wars are not that simplistic and that greed plays a roll there to.)

Also, relationships are easily crushed because of envy. EX: At work. It's hard to get along and work well with a co-worker that you envy.

Anyway, after envy I would say greed and then pride.

--------------------
Apprentice and fellow Button Klutz to Seventh_sky *grubbly fist* [stolen]

^<3 Zarp^

+Quote Post
Demon x
post Jan 1 2007, 02:15 AM
Post #34

Alchemists

Member No.: 39,726

QUOTE(Sax4Life @ Dec 31 2006, 06:51 PM) [snapback]489997[/snapback]
I'll have to say all of them are dangerous, obviously. Even though I'm an atheist I can see how they are wrong.

I'd say the least is Gluttony, unless you eat people (like Gluttony from FMA. XD), and Pride doesn't seem that bad to me either, unless you just become flat out arrogant, it's good to have some confidence over your accomplishments.

I'd say the three worst are wrath, envy, and sloth. Wrath, because revenge is never any good. Two wrongs don't make a right. wink.gif Envy, because envying someone can make you lose yourself... and try to be more like them. (something I hate.) and of course sloth... Something I'm very guilty of. Laziness, it's a bad thing. I'll say that.

EDIT: How could I forget greed? XD It can be very bad I think... but not so bad if you don't let it get out of control.

didn't you see popogeejo's post?
QUOTE(popogeejo)
None of these are sins. People can be Proud, be Greedy, be Glutinous, be Slothful, be Lustful, be Envious and be Wrathful without committing sin the same way one can be happy or sad or confused.
The seven "sins" tend to have negative effects but it's not certain.
Feeling isn't a sin and acting on them in an way that will effect others badly isn't a sin (It's not nice though).

People can't help what they feel but they can help how they act on these feelings.

--------------------
formerly known as Garuda, God of War.
Signature coming soon

+Quote Post
Vash_the_Gunslin...
post Jan 1 2007, 09:26 AM
Post #35

Major General

QUOTE(Demon x @ Jan 1 2007, 03:15 AM) [snapback]490066[/snapback]
QUOTE(Sax4Life @ Dec 31 2006, 06:51 PM) [snapback]489997[/snapback]
I'll have to say all of them are dangerous, obviously. Even though I'm an atheist I can see how they are wrong.

I'd say the least is Gluttony, unless you eat people (like Gluttony from FMA. XD), and Pride doesn't seem that bad to me either, unless you just become flat out arrogant, it's good to have some confidence over your accomplishments.

I'd say the three worst are wrath, envy, and sloth. Wrath, because revenge is never any good. Two wrongs don't make a right. wink.gif Envy, because envying someone can make you lose yourself... and try to be more like them. (something I hate.) and of course sloth... Something I'm very guilty of. Laziness, it's a bad thing. I'll say that.

EDIT: How could I forget greed? XD It can be very bad I think... but not so bad if you don't let it get out of control.

didn't you see popogeejo's post?
QUOTE(popogeejo)
None of these are sins. People can be Proud, be Greedy, be Glutinous, be Slothful, be Lustful, be Envious and be Wrathful without committing sin the same way one can be happy or sad or confused.
The seven "sins" tend to have negative effects but it's not certain.
Feeling isn't a sin and acting on them in an way that will effect others badly isn't a sin (It's not nice though).

People can't help what they feel but they can help how they act on these feelings.

So you think that Popogeejo is right automatically? In his quote, he said that people could be proud, greedy, envious, and such, but the thought still remains. If you are thinking lustfully, you are committing a sin. Sex is reserved for the marriage partner. That is what it says in the Bible. Now everyone is entitled to an opinion and I am just pointing out that Popogeejo's post can be right or wrong. Use your own judgement.

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Jan 1 2007, 09:33 AM
Post #36

Master Alchemist

If you are thinking lustfully, you are committing a sin. Sex is reserved for the marriage partner.
Thinking lustfully does not mean having premarital sex. You can think Lustful thouhgts without acting on them.

That is what it says in the Bible.

Chapter and verse please?

--------------------

+Quote Post
esrz22
post Jan 1 2007, 12:41 PM
Post #37

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 42,735

Wrath and Greed are most potent, I'd say. People'll do incredible things for Greed.

On a side-I'd say Gluttony is just Greed when it comes to Food. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vash_the_Gunslin...
post Jan 1 2007, 09:07 PM
Post #38

Major General

QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Jan 1 2007, 10:33 AM) [snapback]490097[/snapback]
If you are thinking lustfully, you are committing a sin. Sex is reserved for the marriage partner.
Thinking lustfully does not mean having premarital sex. You can think Lustful thouhgts without acting on them.

To your first statement, yes, thinking lustfully does not always mean having premarital sex, but for such other things like lust of power, life, and such. And thinking is nearly the same thing as committing. If the thought ever crosses your mind of acting lustfully, then you would say that the thought crossed your mind. I know there is a Bible quote for it, but I can't find it now that I have my Bible in my hand.

To your question: 1 John 1:15-17 and I quote, "15Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.16For everthing in the world-the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does-comes not from the Father but from the worlf.17The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.

Now there are more quotes, but this one is I think significant enough. When they say "the lust of his eyes", I say that just looking at things lustfully, whether they be a man/woman or something you can own, can be committing a sin. Also, since the world is sin, if you love the things of this world, then it is a sin. That is my two cents.

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Jan 1 2007, 09:26 PM
Post #39

Master Alchemist

if you love the things of this world, then it is a sin
So people shouldn't love their family? I knew the Bible was a barrel of laughs but wow, that's just stupid.

And thinking is nearly the same thing as committing.

So if I thought of killing someone that would make me a murderer? I'm sorry but that is just crazy. People can't help what they think. you can't avoid thinking "That guys a bit of an ass." or "That lady sure has a nice ass."
It's just complete nonsense to to believe that having a thought is a sin.
No wonder Catholic people are all so glum.

but for such other things like lust of power, life, and such.

I never knew "Lust for life" was a bad thing...
And lust for power isn't inherently bad either.

Please explain why such things are bad, why does the Bible say Lustful thoughts are bad? Surely God can't blame you for thinking in the same way he can't blame you for breathing...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ronaldo Rodregez
post Jan 1 2007, 10:32 PM
Post #40

Alchemists

Member No.: 12,453

...How can you guys not find Gluttony to be deadliest? Sure, they're all bad, but most only by moral standards. Gluttony's the only one that directly affects your health.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vash_the_Gunslin...
post Jan 2 2007, 05:58 AM
Post #41

Major General

QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Jan 1 2007, 10:26 PM) [snapback]490372[/snapback]
if you love the things of this world, then it is a sin
So people shouldn't love their family? I knew the Bible was a barrel of laughs but wow, that's just stupid.

Also, loving your family isn't that bad. All the Bible is saying there if you love things that can never be in heaven and such like anime shows or game systems. People have souls that don't stay in earth.

And thinking is nearly the same thing as committing.
So if I thought of killing someone that would make me a murderer? I'm sorry but that is just crazy. People can't help what they think. you can't avoid thinking "That guys a bit of an ass." or "That lady sure has a nice ass."
It's just complete nonsense to to believe that having a thought is a sin.
No wonder Catholic people are all so glum.

Well, when you think "I'm going to kill him" don't you think that thinking of killing him is a sin? Just the thought of killing someone can cross our minds. Also, I know you can't avoid thinking things like that. It is human nature. We can try and stop it, but what does it matter, right? Also, I am looking up verses to where they have thinking wrongly is a sin. Also, I am not Catholic. If that is what you were inquiring or stating.

but for such other things like lust of power, life, and such.

I never knew "Lust for life" was a bad thing...
And lust for power isn't inherently bad either.

Lust for life is like bloodlust. You want someones life. So you lust for life.

QUOTE(Ronaldo Rodregez @ Jan 1 2007, 11:32 PM) [snapback]490386[/snapback]
...How can you guys not find Gluttony to be deadliest? Sure, they're all bad, but most only by moral standards. Gluttony's the only one that directly affects your health.

That is true.

+Quote Post
Demon x
post Jan 2 2007, 05:21 PM
Post #42

Alchemists

QUOTE(Vash_the_Gunslinger @ Jan 1 2007, 10:07 PM) [snapback]490360[/snapback]
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Jan 1 2007, 10:33 AM) [snapback]490097[/snapback]

To your first statement, yes, thinking lustfully does not always mean having premarital sex, but for such other things like lust of power, life, and such. And thinking is nearly the same thing as committing. If the thought ever crosses your mind of acting lustfully, then you would say that the thought crossed your mind. I know there is a Bible quote for it, but I can't find it now that I have my Bible in my hand.

To your question: 1 John 1:15-17 and I quote, "15Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.16For everthing in the world-the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does-comes not from the Father but from the worlf.17The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.

Now there are more quotes, but this one is I think significant enough. When they say "the lust of his eyes", I say that just looking at things lustfully, whether they be a man/woman or something you can own, can be committing a sin. Also, since the world is sin, if you love the things of this world, then it is a sin. That is my two cents.

but what are you saying depends On religion which means that not all people are religious but as I know most religions say that It's for the marriage partner but getting further into religion will start a conversation or discussion that'll never end.

--------------------
Signature coming soon

+Quote Post
Vash_the_Gunslin...
post Jan 2 2007, 05:36 PM
Post #43

Major General

QUOTE(Demon x @ Jan 2 2007, 06:21 PM) [snapback]490558[/snapback]
but what are you saying depends On religion which means that not all people are religious but as I know most religions say that It's for the marriage partner but getting further into religion will start a conversation or discussion that'll never end.

Yes, if this gets religious we might as well stop going into one sin so much. Also, I personally think that it's for the marriage partner, but we are all human anyway.

+Quote Post
Demon x
post Jan 2 2007, 05:42 PM
Post #44

Alchemists

QUOTE(Vash_the_Gunslinger @ Jan 2 2007, 06:36 PM) [snapback]490562[/snapback]
QUOTE(Demon x @ Jan 2 2007, 06:21 PM) [snapback]490558[/snapback]

Yes, if this gets religious we might as well stop going into one sin so much. Also, I personally think that it's for the marriage partner, but we are all human anyway.

that is why we were created with the natural sin of lust which let's you get paired up (or married)to the opposite gendered person which will results (most cases) to offsprings which will do the same and so on with the simple human life.

--------------------
Signature coming soon

+Quote Post
Vash_the_Gunslin...
post Jan 2 2007, 05:46 PM
Post #45

Major General

^^^^^
I don't need a lesson about how the human race thrives. Thank you anyway.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th June 2016 - 07:25 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css