HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Untitled So Far..., Ah, the joys of dealing with insanity.
Karlykitten
post Dec 6 2006, 07:48 PM
Post #1

Apprentice

Group: Members
From: In the corner of my room, dreaming of unicorns and flowers and world destruction...
Member No.: 42,411

I'm writing this with one of my friends, who is amazing at writing but not better than me, and....yeah. Enjoy the beginning.
By the way, I'm Amber, and my friend is Sienna. Yes, we're in the story.

The beginning, yo.

Dead.

That's all Winry Rockbell could think when she saw her grandmother's body laying on the floor in the kitchen one winter evening.
It looked almost as if she was sleeping, but Winry knew better. She knew Pinako had left this world, and she wasn’t coming back. To top it off, her dog and best friend, Den, had died of natural causes a few days ago. Now, already grief-stricken from that experience, this was just too much for her mind to take.
She collapsed onto the ground, sobbing. Through her tears, she looked around the kitchen. Everything was in its place, everything seemed so normal.

But to her, everything seemed strangely unfamiliar and foreign.
"Ed…Al…" she whispered through her sobs. She fell onto the floor of the kitchen, still holding her head in her hands, trying to grasp everything going on around her, trying to process it.
Finally, it all came spinning into her mind and she snapped.

“W-Winry!” Edward shouted as he ran through the door. She was lying on the ground, shaking terribly. He ran over to her, soon to be followed by Alphonse.
“Winry! What happened?!” Al asked, terrified. He then looked up, and saw Winry’s grandmother laying there, dead. Al just stared in horror.

“Winry! Snap out of it!” Ed yelled at her. She was laughing, but crying at the same time. “Winry!” he called again, and still no reaction.

“Wha—! Where am I?!” Winry slowly got up, and turned around, taking in her surroundings. She was somewhere far away from where she had been just a few minutes earlier. “How did I get here?” She thought aloud.

The world she was in—it wasn’t that much different from hers. Everything just seemed……wrong. She couldn’t hear anything. No…there was just no sound. When she spoke, her voice seemed to echo everywhere, even though she was out in the open, and there weren’t any hills or mountains, either. In fact, the flat landscape seemed to go on forever.

Winry started to walk, due north. Something, somewhere, was drawing her in that direction. “Ed… Al… where are you? Why am I alone?” She said to herself, because no one was there to listen.

There was no grass on the ground, only hard soil and rock, so her footsteps could be easily heard. The air was still, and quite cold. She shivered. “I wonder how long I’ve been here…”

She looked at her surroundings less and less, until she just walked, oblivious to where she was, or how far she had come. There was no point, if she didn’t know where she was, and she didn’t know where she was going.

She then stopped suddenly, and spun around. There was someone—or something—watching her, following her every footstep.

“Who’s there?!” She asked, her shaking voice barely audible. But wait—there was no place for anything to hide, all that was there were a few small, dead trees and some rocks.

“Ha…must’ve been my imagination……” She laughed to herself, even though it wasn’t sincere. She turned around and continued walking, but a bit faster this time.

Winry had been walking for a few hours now, so she was taking a break. She leaned back against one of the dead trees, and gazed up at the sky. “Ed….Al…….where are you?” She whispered. They must be worried……

“Maybe this is all a dream! That would explain everything…… yeah, I’m dreaming, I just need to wait until I wake up….”

“This is no dream.”
She spun around. “Huh?! Who’s there?!”
“Me.”
“Who….who’s ‘me’?”
No one was there. Just a voice.
“Hello—?”
She heard something from behind her. Just a small sound, barely audible, but still. That meant she wasn’t alone.

Winry turned around, as fast as she could without tripping. In front of her stood a girl, about her age. Maybe a bit older. Winry couldn’t see her eyes—the girl’s brown hair fell over them, hiding them from sight.

The girl looked up, and brushed her hair off her face. “Hi.”
“…..hi.”

*Who is this girl? I wander for hours with no one in sight, and suddenly she appears…what does she want—*
“I’m looking for someone.”

*Wait……I didn’t say that out loud…..*

“No, you didn’t. It’s called ‘telepathy.”

The girl took a step closer. “Well, do you want my help or what? Like I said, I’m looking for someone. I don’t have time for this.”
She turned around and started walking away, knowing that she wouldn’t get far.

“Wait—“ *maybe she knows where this place is!*

“Of course I know where this place is. It’s only a few miles from my hometown. You’re that lost?” The girl looked slightly annoyed, as if it was an obvious fact.

“Well……yes. I’ve never been here before.” *that tele-what thing of hers is getting really annoying…*

“I heard that.”

*I know you did.*

“So….do you think you can help me?” Winry asked. Well, it can’t get any worse, can it?

“No.”

Okay. Just got worse.

“Why not?!”

“Because you can’t do anything for me in return.”

“I could help you find whoever you’re looking for…”

“You don’t know what she looks like—hey, actually, she looks a lot like you.”

“Me? Really?”

“Probably just a coincidence.”

The girl turned to walk away again. She glanced over her shoulder at Winry, then continued forward.

Winry ran up beside her, having to jog to keep up with the girl’s brisk walk.
“Can I at least come with you, until I find someone who can help me, then?”

The girl stopped, and turned to Winry. “Are you really that helpless? You won’t last a day here, if you have to always depend on someone else.”

“What’s here that’s so dangerous?”

“Oh, just monsters, cannibals, man-eating plants, the usual.”

Winry fell silent. *What kind of freakish place is this?*

“This ‘freakish place’ is my home. There are much worse places you could be.”
The girl looked less annoyed now, maybe a bit sad.
“Fine. Come on.”

The girl turned to walk away again. Winry quickly followed.
“I’m Winry. How about you?”

“The name’s Sienna.”

“Nice name. So, who is it you’re looking for?”

“The Princess. She and a couple others have gone missing.”

“Really? That’s awful….” *they have a princess in this country?*

The girl—Sienna—fell silent. Winry guessed she’d been friends with the people who had disappeared.

“So…is there anyone else looking?”

“Yeah…one other. One of my friends. She’s looking near the mountains to the east, to see if she can find any clues to where they’ve gone. That’s where I’m headed now, to see if she’s found anything.”

The continued walking, now silent. The only sounds were, once more, the echo of footsteps.

*I wonder where Ed and Al are….*

“Who are Ed and Al?”

“Oh…they’re my friends.” Winry remembered the last time she saw them. It was just before she’d walked inside—just before she found out her grandma had died. It had been a while since she thought about that…her grandma was dead…

“What happened?”

“Huh?”

“You were thinking about your grandmother…”

“Oh, yeah….”

Winry hadn’t really realized it, but she’d been holding back her feelings. She’d been sad enough without Den, and her grandma had really been the only person who could comfort her. And then, after coming home from shopping, there she was. Dead.

And then…she was here. Wherever ‘here’ was.
Winry looked ahead. There was a small town in the distance.

“What’s that place?”

“Riole. A small town. We won’t be stopping there.”

“Why not?”

“There’s no point. And there’s a gang of thieves there you wouldn’t want to mess with. They’re not friendly.”

“Huh.”

Silence again. Sienna only seemed to talk when someone else asked her to.

“So…do you know why your friends disappeared?”

Sienna looked a bit uncomfortable. “They’re not exactly my ‘friends’. It’s my job to look for them.”

“But why them? Why did they disappear?”

“They’re special, you could say.”

The conversation stopped again as they reached the edge of Riole.

“There’s no one here.”

“Just wait.”

The two girls walked through the gate to the town. A few seconds later, people began flooding the streets, shouting “Visitors!” “Guests!” “Finally, someone has come!”
The all carried items, like pottery and food. By the looks of them, they were very poor.

Most of them only wore rags. A few of them looked like they had more money, but not many.

A few children ran around their feet, laughing and screaming.

They surrounded the two, all trying to sell something. Winry tried to squeeze past, but failed.

Shouts of “Buy this! It’s delicious!” and “This pottery was handmade! Buy it!” echoed through the streets. People were shoving each other, eager for a chance to sell something to the guests.

“What should we do?” She asked, panicking.

“Get out of the way!”

Sienna rolled up her sleeve, revealing a robotic arm. Not auto-mail exactly, just robotic. But Winry didn’t get a good look at it, because in a second it shot flames at the crowd ahead.

“Auto-mail that shoots flames?!”

In an instant the crowd scattered, leaving a direct path to the opposite gate.

“Come on!” Sienna grabbed Winry’s arm and dragged her past the dazed crowd.

They ran past the rest of the people, most of them still too startled to do anything. The two easily got through the gate, and outside the town.

And then Winry went into auto-mail obsession mode.

“You’ve got an auto-mail arm? Cool! How did you get it? Who made it? This is a style I’ve never seen before! It’s so unique! And auto-mail that shoots flames! I’ve seen auto-mail that shoots bullets before, but never flames! How does it work! Can I see it?”

Sienna reluctantly showed Winry her robotic arm. “You’re a freak…”

“I’m a mechanic.”

“Really. I would’ve never guessed.”

“So, who made this? It’s really amazing.” Winry asked, hand still holding Sienna’s arm.

“A friend of mine. He has a robotic arm himself.”

“Really? Cool! I’d love to meet him!”

“You can’t.”

“Why not?” Winry looked completely crestfallen.

“He’s one of the people that went missing.”

“Oh. So…. How many people went missing, anyways?”

“Three. The princess, her bodyguard, and her bodyguard’s brother. He’s the one who has the robotic arm.”

"…I see." *no you don’t!*

"No, you don’t." Sienna repeated her thoughts to her.

Winry's face saddened.

"I know…" then she looked annoyed, angry even, "I know! I try to keep up with everything around me! I try, really! But people just keep gaining on me and telling me I'm too far behind! 'You wouldn’t get it', 'You wouldn’t understand', 'it's nothing', I've heard all of it!!!"

She paused for a deep breath and then said, in a calmer tone,
"…So why don’t people just tell me, instead of just dismissing me?"

She was actually close to tears, as hard as she tried to hide it. Sienna gave her an odd look, before standing up from the large flat rock they were on and turned to face east. Just before the sky met the earth, a black, spiky ridge tore from the ground and seemingly wound off in both directions, endless. Those, apparently, were the mountains.

"They're huge, aren’t they?" Sienna said to Winry, who nodded in astonishment.

"They're fabled to be thousands of miles long. No one knows, they've all tried, but no person has ever been able to traverse the whole thing…"

She grinned mischievously,

"Except for me."

Winry stared.

"Hey, it's rude to stare. Now get up and follow me." Winry did as she was told, and the two set off at a quick pace in the general direction of the mountains. There was silence between them again, until Winry piped up,

"Are you really the only one to cross the entire thing?" Sienna grinned again,

"yep! That's why my friend wanted to search the mountains instead of me. She wanted experience…and between you and me I think she's trying to get across all of it too. She probably will; when she's determined, not even a wild sszkaloriz can stop her." she smiled to herself and kept on walking.

Winry had no idea exactly what a wild sszkaloriz WAS, and really didn’t want to find out at the moment. Whatever it was, it sounded icky, creepy, and all-over unpleasant.

I stared at the sight that spread before me on the kitchen floor. There was my brother, trying to get our best friend Winry to respond to us. And there was our aunt Pinako.
Dead on the floor.

(If it were possible for me to cry, then surely I would have been sobbing by now. But as it was, I just stared in silent horror.) I don’t think Brother even noticed it fully yet, seeing as all his attention was on Winry at the moment. She was still being scary, just lying half-sprawled on the floor like that, with her head tilted so she faced me. She was laughing and crying at once, and I could tell brother was just as freaked out as I was.
"Winry! Winry…what happened to you?" Brother asked her, not expecting an answer. I didn’t expect one either. She didn’t give one.

"Brother…look…" I said quietly. He turned to me, and then faced where I was pointing. Then he saw Pinako, and I could see his eyes filling with tears already. But those tears were not meant to be shed now. Another time, another place. Not now.

"Is she?" he said, his voice barely above a whisper. I nodded, knowing without having to check that her heart was no longer beating. "brother…I think that's what made this happen…"
I gestured at Winry, who was continuing on. Brother looked down at her again, and spoke softly;
"Winry, where are you?"

She went oddly silent. Her eyes seemed to dull and glaze over, and her crying and laughing and screaming stopped. Her head lolled even further to the side. She was alarmingly limp, and we both feared for her. She looked dead, but she wasn’t dead.
At least, I hope she isn’t dead…

Then she twitched. We both jumped. Her eyes, from my vantage point, looked kind of creepy. They were darkening and no light reflected in them at all, making them look endless.
She was silent, but an odd green-white light came off of her form. Then she smiled. She slowly got up, but it was kind of awkward and jerky, like it wasn’t her movement.
Almost like she was a marionette, and someone else was pulling her strings…

"I'm going to mountains that are not mountains, to find a friend who is not a friend."

Brother and I both shrunk back somewhat. She still had that smile on, a little half-smile. Her voice seemed to not only come from her throat, but from the very air surrounding us. And it sounded like a lot of people were talking at once, maybe 5 or 6, maybe more. And she was still glowing…
I didn’t like the looks of this. maybe it was alchemy? No, even alchemy cant do this to a person…I hoped.

"No, it's definitely not alchemy!"
an alarmed voice in my head cried out as Winry rose a few inched in the air.
She was hunched over, so we couldn’t see her face anymore. Her arms were held out to her sides, perfectly straight. But her hands were limp as well, and hung downwards from her wrists. Her legs were tight against one another, one in front of another, with the feet pointed downwards. It almost looked like a dance position, and would have looked very graceful in a creepy way if this had been intentional. But a couple hints gave away that it wasn’t.

Her hair had fallen out of its tie and fell around her head and shoulders. But it looked limp too, almost dead…this was getting way too freakish, what's going on?!

"I'm with a person that is not a person, in a place that is not a place." She finished. And her glow seemed to expand a little. But Brother didn’t notice.

"Winry! What's going on, what are you—"

snap

We both froze in shock. Winry's arms had whipped forward and her hands had suddenly sprung to life, grabbing onto Brothers shoulders. Her head snapped up, and we saw she had an insane grin on her face, to accompany the insane glint in her otherwise blank blue eyes.

"You come too!" she screamed with evil madness in her voice.

Her voice cracked, I noticed.

It's funny how when something big happens, everything feels so fast to you, yet later on you can recall everything perfectly, isn’t it? I can.

After that chilling exclamation, everything went in fast forward, almost. Her aura-like glow inverted itself all at once, so instead of the peaceful-seeming green and white soft marbled light, it was hard, red and black, and I could feel the evil radiating off it. Then the inverting thing seeped into Winry, and from her hands, into my brother.
"Brother! Ed!" I cried out. But I could do nothing.

The both of them were frozen, their colours inverted completely. Instead of the soft peachy tones their skin generally had, it was now a dark, almost midnight blue. Their normally-blonde hair was a lighter, brighter shade of blue, just a few steps short of electric. Their eye-colours were almost switched, Brother's being a pale blue and Winry's a dull brown-gold.

Then the explosion came.

…well, it wasn’t really an explosion, more just a huge burst of black and red light. But even though it was black and red, it was still too bright to see through. I threw my arms in front of my face to protect myself, even though that was probably stupid, and shut my eyes tight.
Then, the light was gone.

And so was my brother.

Winry's grin slowly slipped off her face. The maniacal shine in her eyes was extinguished, and her face was now one of total blankness. Then the glow stopped, and she stopped floating. She dropped to the ground faster than I could react and lay crumpled on the floor, her eyes unseeing.

I thought she was dead. But then I saw her breathing. She was alive…but something didn’t add up.
"Winry?" I asked. There was no response. She was totally unawares of anything around her.
"Winry?!" I was more panicked now; Pinako was dead, she had, until proven otherwise, gone mad, and now my brother had disappeared and there she was, just lying there, totally in-active. It was almost like someone had shut her off of something, but I knew that wasn’t possible to do with humans. It had to happen of it's own accord.

But then…what had happened to her???

Sienna and Winry had been walking in silence once more, for about twenty minutes, Winry guessed. She'd tried checking her watch, but since she'd arrived in this freaky place, her watch had stopped working. It was frozen.
"stop."
Surprised Winry came to a stop. She looked at Sienna, who was the one who'd told her to freeze, "wha—"
"shush!!" came her harsh, whispered reply. Winry, stunned, was silent.

A minute passed. And another. Finally, sienna signaled for Winry to start moving again. But Sienna was walking faster than before now, and Winry had to do an awkward half-jog half-run thing to keep up.
"why are we going faster now?" she asked.
Sienna turned to Winry and smiled mysteriously;

"Someone else has arrived."

Edward lay on the cold ground, golden eyes closed. He was awake; he just didn’t feel like moving. Everything hurt. He whimpered slightly, turning his head slightly to the side.

*Ugh….what happened? I was with Winry and Al—*

He bolted upright, suddenly remembering everything. His eyes were open wide in fear, but after a minute it was for a different reason. A blade was held at his throat.

“Huh? What?”

“Don’t move.”

Someone was behind him. One of their hands was on his shoulder; the other was holding a knife to his neck. But strangely enough, they seemed almost as scared as him.

He tried to turn around, but as soon as he did the blade was pushed ever so slightly harder against his neck.

Whoever was holding the blade’s hands were shaking. They didn’t seem to want to hurt him. He couldn’t figure out whether it was a man or woman, because he’d only heard them speak for a second, but he was pretty sure it was a woman.

“What do you want?” He asked, gritting his teeth. Someone would actually hold a blade to the Fullmetal—
Oh yeah.
Alchemy.

He clapped his hands together, and placed them on the blade. Blue light started erupting from his hands, and whoever was there dropped the blade, which now was more like a cylinder.

He spun around, now face to face with his captor. A girl, not much older than him. She was sitting in an awkward position, furiously trying to scramble backwards.

*This is who was holding the blade……?*

She certainly didn’t seem the type to wield a blade. Heck, she didn’t seem the type to fight at all. Her long, brown hair was a tangled mess, and her blue eyes were wide with fear.

Edward started to get up, only to be tripped and pushed back down. The girl had jumped forward again, this time sitting on his chest, with the blade pointed at his forehead.

“Wha….?”

“Gotcha.”

This didn’t seem to be the same girl he’d seen only a minute ago. Her once-scared blue eyes were now filled with hate.

She leaned forward, blade point still at his forehead, and looked at his face.
“Aw, such pretty golden eyes. Too bad you’ll be dead soon. It’s a shame to kill anyone so nice-looking.”

She was holding his right arm with her other arm, and his left arm was held down with her knee. This would have been an easy situation to get out of before, but whatever had happened earlier had left him surprisingly weak.

“What do you want?” he asked again, jaw clenched tightly.

“I want you to die.”

“You don’t even know me.”

“Fine.” She got up off his chest, much to his relief, and stood beside him. He started to get up, but fell halfway through.

“Ha. You can’t even get up.” She held out a hand, which he reluctantly grabbed. She pulled him upright with ease.
“Now. Introduce yourself.”

“Why should I?” he asked, then remembered how easy it was for her to get him down before, and the fact that she still held the blade didn’t help.

“My name is Edward.”

“Edward who?”

“Why do you care?”

“I should at least know your name.”

“I don’t know your name.”

She paused for a minute. “It’s Amber.”

“Nice name.” He said quietly.

“Sorry, I didn’t catch that.”

“I said, nice name.” He said a bit louder.

“Heh, thanks. Your name is nice, too. It’s not a name we usually hear around this place.”

Now that that incident was over, he finally looked at his surroundings. He was in the mountains, definitely, on a sort of plateau, surrounded by jagged rocks. There was no grass or foliage of any kind in sight, and all the rocks had a sort of reddish hue.

“Speaking of which….” He began.

“Yeah?”

“Where are we?”

“This is the Eastern Mountain Range. We’re at the lower half. I’m trying to cross the whole range.”

Edward looked at all the mountains in the distance. “You’re going to cross all that?”

“Yep! One of my friends did; she’s the only one to ever cross the entire thing.”

Edward was speechless, for once. The kids in this country must be crazy. I mean, she wasn’t much older than him, and he would never do something like that without a purpose.

“Why?”

“To prove I can. And, I’m looking for someone. A couple people, actually. Hey….now that I think about it, you look a lot like one of them! Do you know anyone named Ryce?”

“No, sorry.” *Ryce? What kind of name is that?*

“Aw, darn. Actually, it’s kind of surprising. You look like you could be his twin.”

“Really? I’ve got a brother…”

“So does Ryce.”

“Why are you looking for them?”

She looked down, and her bright blue eyes dulled slightly.
“They’ve gone missing.”

“What happened?”

“We’re not entirely sure. All we know is the princess, Emily, and Ryce and Vincent, Ryce’s brother, have disappeared. It wasn’t that long ago, either. Only a week or two.”

“Are you the only one looking for them?”

“Just about. My friend Sienna is searching, too, but other than that, no one seems to care.”

“But didn’t you say it was the princess who went missing?” *What kind of messed up world is this, anyways?*

“Yeah…a lot of people hate her, though. They say she was telling lies about something that happened ten years ago.”

“What happened?”

He waited a moment, but Amber didn’t answer. Whatever it was, it must have been bad.

She looked up again. “You know, you’re not the first person to come here.”

“Huh?”

“You heard me. Where were you before this?”

“..oh yeah! I had almost forgot! I was with my brother, and Winry….and then…I don’t know. I was just…here.”

“That’s not good.”

Edward blinked. Again, he had no clue what she was talking about.

“Oh, nevermind. Let’s get going.”

“Wait…who said I was coming with you?”

“I did.” She grabbed his wrist and dragged him forward.

“Wait…”

“I’m not leaving you here. Besides, you wouldn’t last the night.”

“Huh?”

“There are wild animals everywhere. And it gets really cold up here at night. You’d die of frostbite if the sszkaloriz didn’t get you first.”

“Sszkaloriz?”

“You don’t want to know.”
She started walking again. This time, albeit reluctantly, he followed her.

Er....end of beginning.

So, whad'ya think?

--------------------

^sig made by Nil-chan, thanks!
WHEEEEEE!!! I'm an Apprentice now!
I'm a member of the EdXArmony Clubhouse! YAYZ.
Meh Website Meh Art Meh AMVs Meh Sig Shop Meh DeviantART
Fan Fics:
MindLock Untitled so far
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Tuckersux_*
post Dec 25 2006, 06:37 PM
Post #2

Guests

Weird but cool.

QUOTE(Karlykitten @ Dec 6 2006, 09:48 PM) [snapback]481594[/snapback]
I'm writing this with one of my friends, who is amazing at writing but not better than me, and....yeah. Enjoy the beginning.
By the way, I'm Amber, and my friend is Sienna. Yes, we're in the story.

The beginning, yo.

Dead.

That's all Winry Rockbell could think when she saw her grandmother's body laying on the floor in the kitchen one winter evening.
It looked almost as if she was sleeping, but Winry knew better. She knew Pinako had left this world, and she wasn’t coming back. To top it off, her dog and best friend, Den, had died of natural causes a few days ago. Now, already grief-stricken from that experience, this was just too much for her mind to take.
She collapsed onto the ground, sobbing. Through her tears, she looked around the kitchen. Everything was in its place, everything seemed so normal.

But to her, everything seemed strangely unfamiliar and foreign.
"Ed…Al…" she whispered through her sobs. She fell onto the floor of the kitchen, still holding her head in her hands, trying to grasp everything going on around her, trying to process it.
Finally, it all came spinning into her mind and she snapped.

“W-Winry!” Edward shouted as he ran through the door. She was lying on the ground, shaking terribly. He ran over to her, soon to be followed by Alphonse.
“Winry! What happened?!” Al asked, terrified. He then looked up, and saw Winry’s grandmother laying there, dead. Al just stared in horror.

“Winry! Snap out of it!” Ed yelled at her. She was laughing, but crying at the same time. “Winry!” he called again, and still no reaction.

“Wha—! Where am I?!” Winry slowly got up, and turned around, taking in her surroundings. She was somewhere far away from where she had been just a few minutes earlier. “How did I get here?” She thought aloud.

The world she was in—it wasn’t that much different from hers. Everything just seemed……wrong. She couldn’t hear anything. No…there was just no sound. When she spoke, her voice seemed to echo everywhere, even though she was out in the open, and there weren’t any hills or mountains, either. In fact, the flat landscape seemed to go on forever.

Winry started to walk, due north. Something, somewhere, was drawing her in that direction. “Ed… Al… where are you? Why am I alone?” She said to herself, because no one was there to listen.

There was no grass on the ground, only hard soil and rock, so her footsteps could be easily heard. The air was still, and quite cold. She shivered. “I wonder how long I’ve been here…”

She looked at her surroundings less and less, until she just walked, oblivious to where she was, or how far she had come. There was no point, if she didn’t know where she was, and she didn’t know where she was going.

She then stopped suddenly, and spun around. There was someone—or something—watching her, following her every footstep.

“Who’s there?!” She asked, her shaking voice barely audible. But wait—there was no place for anything to hide, all that was there were a few small, dead trees and some rocks.

“Ha…must’ve been my imagination……” She laughed to herself, even though it wasn’t sincere. She turned around and continued walking, but a bit faster this time.

Winry had been walking for a few hours now, so she was taking a break. She leaned back against one of the dead trees, and gazed up at the sky. “Ed….Al…….where are you?” She whispered. They must be worried……

“Maybe this is all a dream! That would explain everything…… yeah, I’m dreaming, I just need to wait until I wake up….”

“This is no dream.”
She spun around. “Huh?! Who’s there?!”
“Me.”
“Who….who’s ‘me’?”
No one was there. Just a voice.
“Hello—?”
She heard something from behind her. Just a small sound, barely audible, but still. That meant she wasn’t alone.

Winry turned around, as fast as she could without tripping. In front of her stood a girl, about her age. Maybe a bit older. Winry couldn’t see her eyes—the girl’s brown hair fell over them, hiding them from sight.

The girl looked up, and brushed her hair off her face. “Hi.”
“…..hi.”

*Who is this girl? I wander for hours with no one in sight, and suddenly she appears…what does she want—*
“I’m looking for someone.”

*Wait……I didn’t say that out loud…..*

“No, you didn’t. It’s called ‘telepathy.”

The girl took a step closer. “Well, do you want my help or what? Like I said, I’m looking for someone. I don’t have time for this.”
She turned around and started walking away, knowing that she wouldn’t get far.

“Wait—“ *maybe she knows where this place is!*

“Of course I know where this place is. It’s only a few miles from my hometown. You’re that lost?” The girl looked slightly annoyed, as if it was an obvious fact.

“Well……yes. I’ve never been here before.” *that tele-what thing of hers is getting really annoying…*

“I heard that.”

*I know you did.*

“So….do you think you can help me?” Winry asked. Well, it can’t get any worse, can it?

“No.”

Okay. Just got worse.

“Why not?!”

“Because you can’t do anything for me in return.”

“I could help you find whoever you’re looking for…”

“You don’t know what she looks like—hey, actually, she looks a lot like you.”

“Me? Really?”

“Probably just a coincidence.”

The girl turned to walk away again. She glanced over her shoulder at Winry, then continued forward.

Winry ran up beside her, having to jog to keep up with the girl’s brisk walk.
“Can I at least come with you, until I find someone who can help me, then?”

The girl stopped, and turned to Winry. “Are you really that helpless? You won’t last a day here, if you have to always depend on someone else.”

“What’s here that’s so dangerous?”

“Oh, just monsters, cannibals, man-eating plants, the usual.”

Winry fell silent. *What kind of freakish place is this?*

“This ‘freakish place’ is my home. There are much worse places you could be.”
The girl looked less annoyed now, maybe a bit sad.
“Fine. Come on.”

The girl turned to walk away again. Winry quickly followed.
“I’m Winry. How about you?”

“The name’s Sienna.”

“Nice name. So, who is it you’re looking for?”

“The Princess. She and a couple others have gone missing.”

“Really? That’s awful….” *they have a princess in this country?*

The girl—Sienna—fell silent. Winry guessed she’d been friends with the people who had disappeared.

“So…is there anyone else looking?”

“Yeah…one other. One of my friends. She’s looking near the mountains to the east, to see if she can find any clues to where they’ve gone. That’s where I’m headed now, to see if she’s found anything.”

The continued walking, now silent. The only sounds were, once more, the echo of footsteps.

*I wonder where Ed and Al are….*

“Who are Ed and Al?”

“Oh…they’re my friends.” Winry remembered the last time she saw them. It was just before she’d walked inside—just before she found out her grandma had died. It had been a while since she thought about that…her grandma was dead…

“What happened?”

“Huh?”

“You were thinking about your grandmother…”

“Oh, yeah….”

Winry hadn’t really realized it, but she’d been holding back her feelings. She’d been sad enough without Den, and her grandma had really been the only person who could comfort her. And then, after coming home from shopping, there she was. Dead.

And then…she was here. Wherever ‘here’ was.
Winry looked ahead. There was a small town in the distance.

“What’s that place?”

“Riole. A small town. We won’t be stopping there.”

“Why not?”

“There’s no point. And there’s a gang of thieves there you wouldn’t want to mess with. They’re not friendly.”

“Huh.”

Silence again. Sienna only seemed to talk when someone else asked her to.

“So…do you know why your friends disappeared?”

Sienna looked a bit uncomfortable. “They’re not exactly my ‘friends’. It’s my job to look for them.”

“But why them? Why did they disappear?”

“They’re special, you could say.”

The conversation stopped again as they reached the edge of Riole.

“There’s no one here.”

“Just wait.”

The two girls walked through the gate to the town. A few seconds later, people began flooding the streets, shouting “Visitors!” “Guests!” “Finally, someone has come!”
The all carried items, like pottery and food. By the looks of them, they were very poor.

Most of them only wore rags. A few of them looked like they had more money, but not many.

A few children ran around their feet, laughing and screaming.

They surrounded the two, all trying to sell something. Winry tried to squeeze past, but failed.

Shouts of “Buy this! It’s delicious!” and “This pottery was handmade! Buy it!” echoed through the streets. People were shoving each other, eager for a chance to sell something to the guests.

“What should we do?” She asked, panicking.

“Get out of the way!”

Sienna rolled up her sleeve, revealing a robotic arm. Not auto-mail exactly, just robotic. But Winry didn’t get a good look at it, because in a second it shot flames at the crowd ahead.

“Auto-mail that shoots flames?!”

In an instant the crowd scattered, leaving a direct path to the opposite gate.

“Come on!” Sienna grabbed Winry’s arm and dragged her past the dazed crowd.

They ran past the rest of the people, most of them still too startled to do anything. The two easily got through the gate, and outside the town.

And then Winry went into auto-mail obsession mode.

“You’ve got an auto-mail arm? Cool! How did you get it? Who made it? This is a style I’ve never seen before! It’s so unique! And auto-mail that shoots flames! I’ve seen auto-mail that shoots bullets before, but never flames! How does it work! Can I see it?”

Sienna reluctantly showed Winry her robotic arm. “You’re a freak…”

“I’m a mechanic.”

“Really. I would’ve never guessed.”

“So, who made this? It’s really amazing.” Winry asked, hand still holding Sienna’s arm.

“A friend of mine. He has a robotic arm himself.”

“Really? Cool! I’d love to meet him!”

“You can’t.”

“Why not?” Winry looked completely crestfallen.

“He’s one of the people that went missing.”

“Oh. So…. How many people went missing, anyways?”

“Three. The princess, her bodyguard, and her bodyguard’s brother. He’s the one who has the robotic arm.”

"…I see." *no you don’t!*

"No, you don’t." Sienna repeated her thoughts to her.

Winry's face saddened.

"I know…" then she looked annoyed, angry even, "I know! I try to keep up with everything around me! I try, really! But people just keep gaining on me and telling me I'm too far behind! 'You wouldn’t get it', 'You wouldn’t understand', 'it's nothing', I've heard all of it!!!"

She paused for a deep breath and then said, in a calmer tone,
"…So why don’t people just tell me, instead of just dismissing me?"

She was actually close to tears, as hard as she tried to hide it. Sienna gave her an odd look, before standing up from the large flat rock they were on and turned to face east. Just before the sky met the earth, a black, spiky ridge tore from the ground and seemingly wound off in both directions, endless. Those, apparently, were the mountains.

"They're huge, aren’t they?" Sienna said to Winry, who nodded in astonishment.

"They're fabled to be thousands of miles long. No one knows, they've all tried, but no person has ever been able to traverse the whole thing…"

She grinned mischievously,

"Except for me."

Winry stared.

"Hey, it's rude to stare. Now get up and follow me." Winry did as she was told, and the two set off at a quick pace in the general direction of the mountains. There was silence between them again, until Winry piped up,

"Are you really the only one to cross the entire thing?" Sienna grinned again,

"yep! That's why my friend wanted to search the mountains instead of me. She wanted experience…and between you and me I think she's trying to get across all of it too. She probably will; when she's determined, not even a wild sszkaloriz can stop her." she smiled to herself and kept on walking.

Winry had no idea exactly what a wild sszkaloriz WAS, and really didn’t want to find out at the moment. Whatever it was, it sounded icky, creepy, and all-over unpleasant.

I stared at the sight that spread before me on the kitchen floor. There was my brother, trying to get our best friend Winry to respond to us. And there was our aunt Pinako.
Dead on the floor.

(If it were possible for me to cry, then surely I would have been sobbing by now. But as it was, I just stared in silent horror.) I don’t think Brother even noticed it fully yet, seeing as all his attention was on Winry at the moment. She was still being scary, just lying half-sprawled on the floor like that, with her head tilted so she faced me. She was laughing and crying at once, and I could tell brother was just as freaked out as I was.
"Winry! Winry…what happened to you?" Brother asked her, not expecting an answer. I didn’t expect one either. She didn’t give one.

"Brother…look…" I said quietly. He turned to me, and then faced where I was pointing. Then he saw Pinako, and I could see his eyes filling with tears already. But those tears were not meant to be shed now. Another time, another place. Not now.

"Is she?" he said, his voice barely above a whisper. I nodded, knowing without having to check that her heart was no longer beating. "brother…I think that's what made this happen…"
I gestured at Winry, who was continuing on. Brother looked down at her again, and spoke softly;
"Winry, where are you?"

She went oddly silent. Her eyes seemed to dull and glaze over, and her crying and laughing and screaming stopped. Her head lolled even further to the side. She was alarmingly limp, and we both feared for her. She looked dead, but she wasn’t dead.
At least, I hope she isn’t dead…

Then she twitched. We both jumped. Her eyes, from my vantage point, looked kind of creepy. They were darkening and no light reflected in them at all, making them look endless.
She was silent, but an odd green-white light came off of her form. Then she smiled. She slowly got up, but it was kind of awkward and jerky, like it wasn’t her movement.
Almost like she was a marionette, and someone else was pulling her strings…

"I'm going to mountains that are not mountains, to find a friend who is not a friend."

Brother and I both shrunk back somewhat. She still had that smile on, a little half-smile. Her voice seemed to not only come from her throat, but from the very air surrounding us. And it sounded like a lot of people were talking at once, maybe 5 or 6, maybe more. And she was still glowing…
I didn’t like the looks of this. maybe it was alchemy? No, even alchemy cant do this to a person…I hoped.

"No, it's definitely not alchemy!"
an alarmed voice in my head cried out as Winry rose a few inched in the air.
She was hunched over, so we couldn’t see her face anymore. Her arms were held out to her sides, perfectly straight. But her hands were limp as well, and hung downwards from her wrists. Her legs were tight against one another, one in front of another, with the feet pointed downwards. It almost looked like a dance position, and would have looked very graceful in a creepy way if this had been intentional. But a couple hints gave away that it wasn’t.

Her hair had fallen out of its tie and fell around her head and shoulders. But it looked limp too, almost dead…this was getting way too freakish, what's going on?!

"I'm with a person that is not a person, in a place that is not a place." She finished. And her glow seemed to expand a little. But Brother didn’t notice.

"Winry! What's going on, what are you—"

snap

We both froze in shock. Winry's arms had whipped forward and her hands had suddenly sprung to life, grabbing onto Brothers shoulders. Her head snapped up, and we saw she had an insane grin on her face, to accompany the insane glint in her otherwise blank blue eyes.

"You come too!" she screamed with evil madness in her voice.

Her voice cracked, I noticed.

It's funny how when something big happens, everything feels so fast to you, yet later on you can recall everything perfectly, isn’t it? I can.

After that chilling exclamation, everything went in fast forward, almost. Her aura-like glow inverted itself all at once, so instead of the peaceful-seeming green and white soft marbled light, it was hard, red and black, and I could feel the evil radiating off it. Then the inverting thing seeped into Winry, and from her hands, into my brother.
"Brother! Ed!" I cried out. But I could do nothing.

The both of them were frozen, their colours inverted completely. Instead of the soft peachy tones their skin generally had, it was now a dark, almost midnight blue. Their normally-blonde hair was a lighter, brighter shade of blue, just a few steps short of electric. Their eye-colours were almost switched, Brother's being a pale blue and Winry's a dull brown-gold.

Then the explosion came.

…well, it wasn’t really an explosion, more just a huge burst of black and red light. But even though it was black and red, it was still too bright to see through. I threw my arms in front of my face to protect myself, even though that was probably stupid, and shut my eyes tight.
Then, the light was gone.

And so was my brother.

Winry's grin slowly slipped off her face. The maniacal shine in her eyes was extinguished, and her face was now one of total blankness. Then the glow stopped, and she stopped floating. She dropped to the ground faster than I could react and lay crumpled on the floor, her eyes unseeing.

I thought she was dead. But then I saw her breathing. She was alive…but something didn’t add up.
"Winry?" I asked. There was no response. She was totally unawares of anything around her.
"Winry?!" I was more panicked now; Pinako was dead, she had, until proven otherwise, gone mad, and now my brother had disappeared and there she was, just lying there, totally in-active. It was almost like someone had shut her off of something, but I knew that wasn’t possible to do with humans. It had to happen of it's own accord.

But then…what had happened to her???

Sienna and Winry had been walking in silence once more, for about twenty minutes, Winry guessed. She'd tried checking her watch, but since she'd arrived in this freaky place, her watch had stopped working. It was frozen.
"stop."
Surprised Winry came to a stop. She looked at Sienna, who was the one who'd told her to freeze, "wha—"
"shush!!" came her harsh, whispered reply. Winry, stunned, was silent.

A minute passed. And another. Finally, sienna signaled for Winry to start moving again. But Sienna was walking faster than before now, and Winry had to do an awkward half-jog half-run thing to keep up.
"why are we going faster now?" she asked.
Sienna turned to Winry and smiled mysteriously;

"Someone else has arrived."

Edward lay on the cold ground, golden eyes closed. He was awake; he just didn’t feel like moving. Everything hurt. He whimpered slightly, turning his head slightly to the side.

*Ugh….what happened? I was with Winry and Al—*

He bolted upright, suddenly remembering everything. His eyes were open wide in fear, but after a minute it was for a different reason. A blade was held at his throat.

“Huh? What?”

“Don’t move.”

Someone was behind him. One of their hands was on his shoulder; the other was holding a knife to his neck. But strangely enough, they seemed almost as scared as him.

He tried to turn around, but as soon as he did the blade was pushed ever so slightly harder against his neck.

Whoever was holding the blade’s hands were shaking. They didn’t seem to want to hurt him. He couldn’t figure out whether it was a man or woman, because he’d only heard them speak for a second, but he was pretty sure it was a woman.

“What do you want?” He asked, gritting his teeth. Someone would actually hold a blade to the Fullmetal—
Oh yeah.
Alchemy.

He clapped his hands together, and placed them on the blade. Blue light started erupting from his hands, and whoever was there dropped the blade, which now was more like a cylinder.

He spun around, now face to face with his captor. A girl, not much older than him. She was sitting in an awkward position, furiously trying to scramble backwards.

*This is who was holding the blade……?*

She certainly didn’t seem the type to wield a blade. Heck, she didn’t seem the type to fight at all. Her long, brown hair was a tangled mess, and her blue eyes were wide with fear.

Edward started to get up, only to be tripped and pushed back down. The girl had jumped forward again, this time sitting on his chest, with the blade pointed at his forehead.

“Wha….?”

“Gotcha.”

This didn’t seem to be the same girl he’d seen only a minute ago. Her once-scared blue eyes were now filled with hate.

She leaned forward, blade point still at his forehead, and looked at his face.
“Aw, such pretty golden eyes. Too bad you’ll be dead soon. It’s a shame to kill anyone so nice-looking.”

She was holding his right arm with her other arm, and his left arm was held down with her knee. This would have been an easy situation to get out of before, but whatever had happened earlier had left him surprisingly weak.

“What do you want?” he asked again, jaw clenched tightly.

“I want you to die.”

“You don’t even know me.”

“Fine.” She got up off his chest, much to his relief, and stood beside him. He started to get up, but fell halfway through.

“Ha. You can’t even get up.” She held out a hand, which he reluctantly grabbed. She pulled him upright with ease.
“Now. Introduce yourself.”

“Why should I?” he asked, then remembered how easy it was for her to get him down before, and the fact that she still held the blade didn’t help.

“My name is Edward.”

“Edward who?”

“Why do you care?”

“I should at least know your name.”

“I don’t know your name.”

She paused for a minute. “It’s Amber.”

“Nice name.” He said quietly.

“Sorry, I didn’t catch that.”

“I said, nice name.” He said a bit louder.

“Heh, thanks. Your name is nice, too. It’s not a name we usually hear around this place.”

Now that that incident was over, he finally looked at his surroundings. He was in the mountains, definitely, on a sort of plateau, surrounded by jagged rocks. There was no grass or foliage of any kind in sight, and all the rocks had a sort of reddish hue.

“Speaking of which….” He began.

“Yeah?”

“Where are we?”

“This is the Eastern Mountain Range. We’re at the lower half. I’m trying to cross the whole range.”

Edward looked at all the mountains in the distance. “You’re going to cross all that?”

“Yep! One of my friends did; she’s the only one to ever cross the entire thing.”

Edward was speechless, for once. The kids in this country must be crazy. I mean, she wasn’t much older than him, and he would never do something like that without a purpose.

“Why?”

“To prove I can. And, I’m looking for someone. A couple people, actually. Hey….now that I think about it, you look a lot like one of them! Do you know anyone named Ryce?”

“No, sorry.” *Ryce? What kind of name is that?*

“Aw, darn. Actually, it’s kind of surprising. You look like you could be his twin.”

“Really? I’ve got a brother…”

“So does Ryce.”

“Why are you looking for them?”

She looked down, and her bright blue eyes dulled slightly.
“They’ve gone missing.”

“What happened?”

“We’re not entirely sure. All we know is the princess, Emily, and Ryce and Vincent, Ryce’s brother, have disappeared. It wasn’t that long ago, either. Only a week or two.”

“Are you the only one looking for them?”

“Just about. My friend Sienna is searching, too, but other than that, no one seems to care.”

“But didn’t you say it was the princess who went missing?” *What kind of messed up world is this, anyways?*

“Yeah…a lot of people hate her, though. They say she was telling lies about something that happened ten years ago.”

“What happened?”

He waited a moment, but Amber didn’t answer. Whatever it was, it must have been bad.

She looked up again. “You know, you’re not the first person to come here.”

“Huh?”

“You heard me. Where were you before this?”

“..oh yeah! I had almost forgot! I was with my brother, and Winry….and then…I don’t know. I was just…here.”

“That’s not good.”

Edward blinked. Again, he had no clue what she was talking about.

“Oh, nevermind. Let’s get going.”

“Wait…who said I was coming with you?”

“I did.” She grabbed his wrist and dragged him forward.

“Wait…”

“I’m not leaving you here. Besides, you wouldn’t last the night.”

“Huh?”

“There are wild animals everywhere. And it gets really cold up here at night. You’d die of frostbite if the sszkaloriz didn’t get you first.”

“Sszkaloriz?”

“You don’t want to know.”
She started walking again. This time, albeit reluctantly, he followed her.

Er....end of beginning.

So, whad'ya think?

Cool siggy BTW.

+Quote Post
Karlykitten
post Dec 25 2006, 09:40 PM
Post #3

Apprentice

From: In the corner of my room, dreaming of unicorns and flowers and world destruction...

Thank you. biggrin.gif
It's supposed to be really strange. I mean, we're dealing with insanity here. Although I don't want to reveal too much of the plot...

--------------------

Fan Fics:
MindLock Untitled so far

+Quote Post
Squishy-chan
post Jan 4 2007, 12:21 PM
Post #4

Citizen

Member No.: 43,452

good!! It sounds like something I would write, although I wouldn't have made a story about an anime or manga already created. Please write more! I would like to continue!! I'd like to know what happens next!!!

--------------------

Banner by Nil-chan

+Quote Post
Karlykitten
post Jan 4 2007, 07:03 PM
Post #5

Apprentice

QUOTE(Anime_boy_lvr @ Jan 4 2007, 02:21 PM) [snapback]491248[/snapback]
good!! It sounds like something I would write, although I wouldn't have made a story about an anime or manga already created. Please write more! I would like to continue!! I'd like to know what happens next!!!

Thank you! It's my friend's turn to write, but I'm probably going to write more myself because she's taking so long. as soon as I stop being lazy. xD

--------------------

Fan Fics:
MindLock Untitled so far

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2016 - 10:40 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css