HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Dramatic Recreations, Does Educational TV Mislead Us?
ἀρχή
post Nov 27 2006, 05:15 PM
Post #1

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,228

You're flipping through the channels and you notice a documentary about General Washington at Valley Forge. Watching it, you see a nice dramatized speech from Washington to his men at the fort. It's so inspiring that even you feel you could sleep in the snow with no food. But then you realize, this is fake and who knows if Washington even spoke like this to his men.

The point here is whether these documentaries, which are meant to educate actually mislead people because of their drive to teach through entertainment rather than offer a boring factually accurate narrative of the events in history.

There's a lot more to the tv documentary style and really any other entertainment based educational material that causes problems. These things get taught to our children and also form the basis of many people's total education level on many topics. I also enjoy many documentaries and find them to be informative, but I do question the accuracy of any dramatic recreations.

The same applies not only to history, but science as well. How much of science based educational materials are interpreted in a dramatic way to appeal to the masses and actually are misleading about the facts of scientific data/conclusions?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2016 - 12:52 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css