Reply to this topicStart new topic
Magic And Giant Robots?
Toby-Chan
post Nov 30 2006, 12:22 PM
Post #31

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,284

There are plenty of things that are 'marketed at kids' I wouldn't let my kids watch or use.

Bratz dolls for one thing.

For another thing, I'm not as okay with kids being exposed to 'cool violence' as most parents, even american parents, seem to be.

But for that matter, if it came to the point of letting them watch such 'kids shows', I would rather them see it uncut; not out of purism, but because they should at least be reminded that if you're swinging around a sharp object, there's going to be some frigging blood. And that people will die as a result of violence. There is no "Shadow Realm" in real life, sad to say.

But we're getting on another matter entirely.

While Fullmetal Alchemist is marketed to preteens for the most part and thus has elements that are meant to appeal to children, I would rather have a kid be at a point of development where they are able to be more thoughtful about the deeper meaning of things before they watched it, and get them into discussion about the more dark elements that it presents.

But, they'd be better off reading books and going outside in any case.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nepharski
post Nov 30 2006, 01:27 PM
Post #32

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 23,257

I think it all depends on what you feel your childrens could handle. People mature at different rates, so what I allowed them to watch, play, or do would reflect where I've seen their maturity is at. If I think they can handle it, I'd give them the go ahead.

--------------------
Attention Manga Lust fans:
Lust is dead. Finished. Kaput. Joined the Choir Invisible. Roy Mustang incinerated her repeatedly until her Philosopher's Stone dried up and dissolved into nothingness ("Mu" for you Japanese cultural enthusiasts). And she will remain killed off, written out of the plot. Greed was reincarnated because Father saved his Philosopher's Stone and had a guinea pig on hand. Lust is gone. Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.
In the event that Hiromu Arakawa can skillfully maneuver around this narrative plot hole, I will eat my words with a pinch of salt.
Nepharski - Our first, last, and hopeful not only line of defense against bad Homunculi theories.

My LiveJournal, because I'm a closet conformist

+Quote Post
asunder
post Nov 30 2006, 05:34 PM
Post #33

Special Ops (Intelligence Officer)
Group Icon

Group: Moderating Admin
Member No.: 30,877

I think this is a good sign of my future bad parenting. Since watching a significant amount of animated violence as a kid didn't significantly affect me, I don't have hesitations when allowing my (future) children to watch anime such as Naruto.

--------------------
Everytime you post something mind numbingly retarded, this forum crashes.

+Quote Post
The random alche...
post Nov 30 2006, 07:34 PM
Post #34

Alchemists

Member No.: 42,778

well I was talking more along the lines of kids under the age of 10 Oo really I don't think a child should watch shows with these violent ninjas with blood, psychopath, and perverts Oo. And yes, when I was a child alot of kids got hurt from watching *le gasp* Pokemon so if I had a little boy or girl watching Naruto last thing I need is him taking a knife and throwing it like a kunai at one of his friends/siblings/relatives.

It is a matter of maturity but I find alot of young kids DO mimic what they see on TV. sometimes phrases said my characters, sometimes actions done my characters.

--------------------
Where there is random you shall find me : D

+Quote Post
RoyMustangRox
post Dec 2 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #35

Citizen

Member No.: 42,932

Even though I love Naruto, I hate to agree with that...FMA isn't as bad because you can mimc using alchemy and nothind would happen...but, if you'd mimic Naruto, you could stab someone (with a "kunai") you could trow something shap (shruiken?) and you could try to jump off a tree, etc.

--------------------
KAKASHI~KUN <3 =^O^=

+Quote Post
The random alche...
post Dec 2 2006, 08:36 PM
Post #36

Alchemists

QUOTE(RoyMustangRox @ Dec 2 2006, 07:01 PM) [snapback]480442[/snapback]
Even though I love Naruto, I hate to agree with that...FMA isn't as bad because you can mimc using alchemy and nothind would happen...but, if you'd mimic Naruto, you could stab someone (with a "kunai") you could trow something shap (shruiken?) and you could try to jump off a tree, etc.

Very true. FMA is a bit hard to mimic x.x I've tried to transmute stuff... it doesn't work ;3;

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mercy_Alchemist9...
post Dec 3 2006, 12:25 AM
Post #37

Alchemists

Member No.: 43,008

But there are still somethings in FMA that could lead to trouble... Such as fighting styles, and there are some knife throwing. (Hughes)

And let's not forgot Lust's mighty nails, people can stab people with their nails... I know, my sister does it to me all the time. 00 Course the growing five feet long thing would never happen, so we're safe from that. (Can we all say "Ubba duh?" ^__^)

(Also on a side not, because it's a little off subject, being young and seeing hard-core themes can lead to emotional problems... Mature or not. I would wait before letting my kid watch something like Naruto or FMA, like the ages they recomend. {FMA= wait for kid to be 14. Naruto= Wait for kid to be 11...Maybe 12.} The theme of FMA is a little for ME to handle, let alone a 10-year-old.)

--------------------
We interrupt this signature for an important question:

If it is not approved allowed to post on a thread that has long since died been "resting" for a while, and each member is allowed to open only one his/her own "art collection" thread for posting his/her artwork in fanart forum, then does that mean I can not post my artworks again on my old art thread?
(No, I'm not looking for "Post it in 'The Beauty of Your own Artwork'" as an answer, thank you!)

<Answer: Yes, of course!! Hope to see many more of your artworks!! :) ~ Board Staff>

Off to Michigan! Be back soon!

+Quote Post
The random alche...
post Dec 3 2006, 05:04 PM
Post #38

Alchemists

QUOTE(Mercy_Alchemist94 @ Dec 3 2006, 12:25 AM) [snapback]480524[/snapback]
But there are still somethings in FMA that could lead to trouble... Such as fighting styles, and there are some knife throwing. (Hughes)

And let's not forgot Lust's mighty nails, people can stab people with their nails... I know, my sister does it to me all the time. 00 Course the growing five feet long thing would never happen, so we're safe from that. (Can we all say "Ubba duh?" ^__^)

(Also on a side not, because it's a little off subject, being young and seeing hard-core themes can lead to emotional problems... Mature or not. I would wait before letting my kid watch something like Naruto or FMA, like the ages they recomend. {FMA= wait for kid to be 14. Naruto= Wait for kid to be 11...Maybe 12.} The theme of FMA is a little for ME to handle, let alone a 10-year-old.)

I agree fully *nods*

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kitty Chow
post Dec 18 2006, 11:22 AM
Post #39

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,844

there weren't any giant robots in the series, it was in the movie but there were no giant robots, there were just soldiers wearing armor like what al used to be in when ed put his soul into one...the soldiers from germany were wearing them because they were crossing through the portal to get back to shamballa (or the world which u can use alchemy) because they lived in our world-a world without alchemy...

and o ya, some woman who was the antiprotaganist was learning alchemy in our world but she called it magic TxT

--------------------
{{~Kitty-Chan~}}
I LOVE FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST!!!! GO EDWARD ELRIC!! ^^

+Quote Post
The random alche...
post Dec 18 2006, 01:33 PM
Post #40

Alchemists

QUOTE(Kitty Chow @ Dec 18 2006, 11:22 AM) [snapback]485878[/snapback]
there weren't any giant robots in the series, it was in the movie but there were no giant robots, there were just soldiers wearing armor like what al used to be in when ed put his soul into one...the soldiers from germany were wearing them because they were crossing through the portal to get back to shamballa (or the world which u can use alchemy) because they lived in our world-a world without alchemy...

and o ya, some woman who was the antiprotaganist was learning alchemy in our world but she called it magic TxT

yeah, that was eckart or something like that x.x and yeah, this person did believe it was Al... I can't believe when I corrected her another person respond: Armored Suits are pretty much the same as robots....

I think that person is a few fries short of a happy meal T.T

--------------------

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Dec 18 2006, 01:41 PM
Post #41

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

Armoured Suits are pretty much the same as robots....

It's basically true though.
Robots:
Never sleep,
Never tire,
Obey their masters (or kill them)
Usually want to be human.

Al:
Never sleeps,
Never Tires,
Obeys Ed, Izumi, Winry, whoever.
Wants to be human.

It's easy for people to relate Al to robots. That fact that he isn't doesn't matter a single bit to those who will call him one.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
The random alche...
post Dec 18 2006, 02:40 PM
Post #42

Alchemists

QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Dec 18 2006, 01:41 PM) [snapback]485908[/snapback]

Robots:
Never sleep,
Never tire,

Al:
Never sleeps,
Never Tires,
Wants to be human.

It's easy for people to relate Al to robots. That fact that he isn't doesn't matter a single bit to those who will call him one.

Not really =/, as read in the title they're talking about giant robots, ya know like Gundams and stuff. Al is a human, just in a bad predicament. I understand associating him with a cyborg (human robots), but he isn't a real robot. Real robots are made by humans for whatever reason. Al was made by a human but.... ya know x.x

--------------------

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Dec 18 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #43

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

Not really =/, as read in the title they're talking about giant robots, ya know like Gundams and stuff.
Al's over 8 foot tall isn't he? Close enough for most people to consider him giant.

Al is a human, just in a bad predicament.

But that's not going to convince people who want to insist he's a robot.

I understand associating him with a cyborg (human robots),
The difference is lost on the majority of most people.

Real robots are made by humans for whatever reason. Al was made by a human but.... ya know x.x

See the problem now? It doesn't even matter in any conceivable way. It won't change what Al is as a character so who cares if people call him a robot, a cyborg, a pice of Armour or a Bunny rabbit, it won't change anything.
A rose by any other name...

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Razzy
post Dec 18 2006, 03:19 PM
Post #44

Special Ops (4-D Super Curator)

Group: Gallery Moderators
Member No.: 39,817

Robots:
Never sleep,
Never tire,

Al:
Never sleeps,
Never Tires,
Wants to be human.

Not really. Al is human, and he doesn't obey Ed (he ran away that one time and fought with Ed a few times). He's just really helpful! (I obey people when they ask me to help them.... does that make me a robot??) Al has a soul, and robots don't have souls (well, none of the robots I know have souls).

--------------------

C'mon, grab your friends. We'll go to very distant lands.
my deviantART

+Quote Post
Amaya Hawkeye
post Dec 18 2006, 04:36 PM
Post #45

Apprentice

Member No.: 34,446

QUOTE(Steel Heart Alchemist @ Dec 18 2006, 03:19 PM) [snapback]485940[/snapback]

Robots:
Never sleep,
Never tire,

Al:
Never sleeps,
Never Tires,
Wants to be human.

Not really. Al is human, and he doesn't obey Ed (he ran away that one time and fought with Ed a few times). He's just really helpful! (I obey people when they ask me to help them.... does that make me a robot??) Al has a soul, and robots don't have souls (well, none of the robots I know have souls).

Poor Al, wasnt that the point of episode 20? Saying that Al was created, that he was a program just to be a convenience to Ed? He's not a robot. Remember the good old saying "Whenever you call Al a robot, god kills a kitten"

Tell me what god does when someone calls Al "pikachu"..... My dad keeps calling him pikachu when he sees Al's chibi face.... its annoying...

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th June 2016 - 05:00 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css