HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Where Do You Stand With Marijuana?, For, against? Why?
Marijuana, weed, pot, reefer, medecin?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 32
Guests cannot vote 
Envy's lil...
post Oct 30 2006, 12:48 PM
Post #16

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,890

Show me an article stating it causes health problems. I haven't even found anything to support smoking it is harmful the same way that smoking tobacco is. Yes, you cough after smoking but with all the pot smoking hippies I've met none of them have experienced the same loss of breath or long term coughing that tobacco smokers have and that's with 20+ years of heavy use. I've never run across an article stating there were long term effects from smoking pot.

One that wasn't biased against pot anyway. But those sites make assinine claims to begin with.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Oct 30 2006, 12:56 PM
Post #17

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

Show me an article stating it causes health problems.

Most of the info I've got was from school and therefore extremely biased and probably out of date. The health problems weren't even that bad. Blood shot eyes and a slightly fuzzy memory in later life is hardly a problem.
I don't have any articles at hand and I honestly think if Marijuana does cause any problems they will probably be nothing remotely severe.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Envy's lil...
post Oct 30 2006, 01:04 PM
Post #18

Gallery Mod Emeritus

They came out with a study a few years back that it in fact does not have long term effects on memory, just short term. Blood shot eyes, visine baby!

If I find the article I'll post it. It was in the paper so I think it's safe to say it's pretty non-biased.

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Oct 30 2006, 01:08 PM
Post #19

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

Thanks. I'm probably the least educated 18 year old on Earth (yay for exagerating) when it comes to drugs.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Oct 30 2006, 03:16 PM
Post #20

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

I heard somewhere they believe taking it too much can be connected to schizophrenia, but frankly many things are used to blame something else with little connection.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Envy's lil...
post Oct 30 2006, 03:23 PM
Post #21

Gallery Mod Emeritus

That's meth that causes, or rather brings out, schizophrenia and other psycological disorders.

+Quote Post
Slashrose1010
post Oct 30 2006, 03:36 PM
Post #22

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 3,609

I think that MJ should be explored as medicine if people really want to. I don't think that the government should stop it, especially if it truly has more good qualities than bad. I did a research paper on it last year (not a very good one, but a research paper nonetheless) and I found that I think pot is OK to explore as medicine. Like Mini already stated, you don't even have to smoke it to gain benefits from it. Of course, if we were actually allowed to research it medically, we would find out how much potential marijuana really has as medicine, but that's not the case in the States right now. Why not research it? The only reason people are adverse to even trying it for medical purposes is because it is illegal as of now and has been demonized through the government and media. Yes, all drugs can have bad effects if used improperly, but honing the medicinal essences in marijuana can potentially be very beneficial.

As for legal issues, illegalizing marijuana does nothing but wastes tax dollars. I think it would be better to try and regulate it. Going off of what Mini and Popo have said, it definitely is not the worst drug for anyone, whether it be the abuser or someone around them. It makes you sedated if anything, unlike alcohol, which was prohibited and proved to be a monumental failure. Plus, it could help drive the economy. Which is good for everyone. Also, tobacco is legal and harms your health many folds over because of the extra chemicals, toxins etc added, and each cigarette is far more compact that hand-rolled blunts, so you get a higher "dosage", if you will, of tobacco in a cigarette than you do in a joint. I am not saying at all that marijuana should truly be commercialized in a way that tobacco is, but I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world if it were legalized.

Pot may alter your functions etc, but I think it is good idea to research it medically over all. But I am a little more conservative when it comes to recreational use because bad things could potentially happen, like being high while driving etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Envy's lil...
post Oct 30 2006, 03:44 PM
Post #23

Gallery Mod Emeritus

I still think that medical marijuana is not embraced by the pharmacutical industry because it's cheap to produce and people can grow it themselves therefore the industry stands to lose money. They would rather people take some kind of chemical they can charge $20 a pill for. It has nothing to do with marijuana being good or bad it's a money issue.

+Quote Post
Slashrose1010
post Oct 30 2006, 03:53 PM
Post #24

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 3,609

Oh yeah... I tend to be naive and forget things... I know the pharmaceutical industry is pretty currupt and junk, like many other corporations. My cousin is a doctor, I forget what field exactly, but a very popular allergy medicine me thinks (perhaps some type or Allegra or something?) anyway, it turned out to be pretty much nothing more than a placebo, and the company had already made millions off of it. I don't think any extreme consequences came of it...

I'm not saying all companies and junk in pharmaceuticals are like that. Good does come out of it, but it is a business and many companies do it for the money, rather than truly helping people.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Oct 30 2006, 03:58 PM
Post #25

Moderator Emeritus

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s777336.htm

I knew I wasn't making it up, it has been discussed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Envy's lil...
post Oct 30 2006, 05:08 PM
Post #26

Gallery Mod Emeritus

That's interesting but I have a feeling Mark was already schitzo before smoking since he was having such severe effects but then again not everybody can smoke pot just like everybody cannot take certin herbs or over the counter drugs. I've even heard of some people being allergic to it.

I agree with the researchers that teenagers should not be using it unless perscribed. Well I said the perscribed part.

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Oct 30 2006, 05:15 PM
Post #27

Moderator Emeritus

Mmm although I posted to show its studied I don't think it causes schizophrenia...rather more encourages it in those who are more likely to get it. Chemical reactionsin the brain and such.

I hadn't heard of it as an alergy but I supoose makes sense it could be to some.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Semiotic Alchemi...
post Oct 30 2006, 10:03 PM
Post #28

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,045

I'm gone for a day and this happens, stealing my thunder smile.gif
(and my cred) and as for the poll options, I tried to balance out the extremes and gray areas. I guess the medical option would be option 2?

Even I'm am being enlightened, I'm happy I started this thread. And yes Mini I too suffer from the occasional migraine, (and not just a really bad headache) it can be vicious, but not as much lately smile.gif And I find it interesting that you use MJ to help your insomnia.
I also like in the article posted before; and I've heard this before, that they say the cells that MJ does kill, Are(or can be) beneficial in preventing their chances of turing cancerous. Which is the opposite of most preconceptions.

but as for the Catalyst article I think it is just like someone said before, it's easy to make up a link betweent ow things. I'm sure it isn;t alie that the prefrontal cortex and the cerebellum, or more acurately the complex thinking sections of the brain are affected by both schizo and MJ, but it doesn't mean they are directly correlated. If this was the case then half the "young heavy dope smokers" I know should be schizo by now. Especially if in Mark's case he only needed 10 months worth at the age of 16. They basicly say look at this: this is your brain on weed, this is your brain when schizo. don;t the pretty MRI scans look similar?

And Popo's eighteen . . . ?

--------------------
"Pale white and black with false citrine, imperfect white and red.
The peacock's feathers in bright colors, the rainbow in the sky above.
The spotted panther, the green lion, the crow's beak blue as lead.
These shall appear before you in perfect white, and many more others.
After the perfect white follows the grey and false citrine also.
And after these shall appear the substance invarible."

+Quote Post
quiddityofquid
post Nov 5 2006, 07:24 PM
Post #29

Apprentice

Member No.: 22,739

Well I saw this thread and came into it with practically an entire rant planned out, and then found out that Mini already said all of it...

Another point for legalizing marijuana is that being locked up for 2 years because you grow a marijuana plant to smoke for your migraines or something is ridiculous. It's not harming anyone, in fact, it's actually helping your health.

Oh, and, almost off topic, a fun game from people who agree.

+Quote Post
Nepharski
post Nov 5 2006, 08:36 PM
Post #30

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 23,257

Quid, I'd hardly say it's "Helping your health." At most, it works to dull pain and such, calming the senses and so forth.

--------------------
Attention Manga Lust fans:
Lust is dead. Finished. Kaput. Joined the Choir Invisible. Roy Mustang incinerated her repeatedly until her Philosopher's Stone dried up and dissolved into nothingness ("Mu" for you Japanese cultural enthusiasts). And she will remain killed off, written out of the plot. Greed was reincarnated because Father saved his Philosopher's Stone and had a guinea pig on hand. Lust is gone. Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.
In the event that Hiromu Arakawa can skillfully maneuver around this narrative plot hole, I will eat my words with a pinch of salt.
Nepharski - Our first, last, and hopeful not only line of defense against bad Homunculi theories.

My LiveJournal, because I'm a closet conformist

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th June 2016 - 01:20 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css