HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Band Nerds, Marching band? Band class? Get your nerd on here!
The New Fullmeta...
post Oct 22 2006, 09:25 PM
Post #1

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Group: Members
From: A little place called love... or my head... whichever...
Member No.: 35,074

Hey, there, everyone! I know I'm not the only person on these forums who's a total band nerd - you know the type, is in the marching band, practically lives in the band room, totally obsessed with almost any kind of music...

So, tell me about yourselves and the bands your in! It's always fun to connect w/ a fellow band nerd! happy.gif

I'm a senior in high school, and I've been in my school's marching band all four years. I was section leader last year (flute) and this year I'm techically a captain, even though my directors came up with a really stupid name...

Um... Oh! Our half-time show this year is "Music from the movie 'ANTZ'" - it's pretty cool! Last year we did a bunch of movie songs (ie Disney), the year before was Gustav Holst's "The Planets," and my freshman year was "The Music of Eric Whitacre"

Anyone else care to share? ^^

--------------------

awesome sig and avvy made w/ love by Nil-chan! Yaay! I'm your biggest fan! ^^
If you have attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by
drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

"Chicken Soup for the Royai Soul" - a ff.net C2 by FM-A.com people!

My fan-fiction, including the infamous Royai-themed "Adventures" series! :D
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DustStorm
post Oct 22 2006, 09:33 PM
Post #2

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 21,999

I'm a freshman in high school. I'm in my school's jazz band, and sometimes I'm a backup in marching band so like if somebody gets sick I play for them. I play the trumpet and the alto sax. I'm going to be promoted to section leader of the trumpets, because there's only 2 trumpet <including myself> and the other guy goofs off all the time...... so yeah. I consider myself a band geek. laugh.gif

--------------------

I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous… everyone hasn't met me yet.

+Quote Post
The New Fullmeta...
post Oct 22 2006, 09:45 PM
Post #3

Haha! Awesome! ^^ So how does your marching band "work?"

I know some schools do it differently than others... we have one show the whole year that we do for games, competitions, etc - and once you're in, you're in! We don't do "backups" or anything since we move and play...

--------------------

+Quote Post
DustStorm
post Oct 22 2006, 09:53 PM
Post #4

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 21,999

Our jazz band plays in lots of competitions. We play at running events <like half marathons>, school dances and at other school events.
In marching band, we play at competitions, football games, and we have a really big show on the last day of school. We still haven't gone to competition but we're going to one next Sunday, I'm so excited. laugh.gif

--------------------

I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous… everyone hasn't met me yet.

+Quote Post
Mustang_93
post Oct 23 2006, 05:23 AM
Post #5

Alchemists

Member No.: 40,969

I am part of my middle school marching band and I play the trumpet. We do 2 parades each year: the first is the "Hay Days" one which is like an old-fashoned carnival, the second is a competition with most of the bands in NE but this year we suck. When i was in 7th we played lots of rock songs and stuff from the 70's. This year we played Blitzkreig Bop alot which is pretty easy. Also Bang the Drum all Day, Ready to Go, our school song (our director). At leat next year i will be in the HS band. I dont consiter myself a geek because all of the smart kids are in band. And i belive the definiton of geek means "socialy inept" which i am not.

--------------------
Just for the record,
The weather today is slightly sarcastic with a good chance of:
A. Indifference or
B. Disinterest in what the critics say
* Dubbed "mature" by Funderful if you don't belive me then you can suck it! (jk)

+Quote Post
The New Fullmeta...
post Oct 23 2006, 11:13 AM
Post #6

@ Mustang_93: Haha! You have a lot to learn about being a band geek, my friend! happy.gif We don't take it literally - more of a badge of honor - that and to turn around the words of anyone who does call us geeks and means it. Kind of poke fun at them for thinking that we're all socially inept - and if you're in a marching band, it usually means quite the opposite. It's just sort of a fun term we refer to ourselves as, y'know?

@ DustStorm - that's awesome! Good luck at your competition! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
22-250
post Oct 23 2006, 02:47 PM
Post #7

Citizen

Member No.: 37,864

I'm in my school's marching band playing the Bari Sax. Although my friend is gonna teach me baritone.

--------------------
Hitler was a Drug-free vegetarian, so remember, to beat Facism, eat meat and do lots of Drugs.

+Quote Post
Hugh the Hit Man
post Oct 24 2006, 01:24 PM
Post #8

Citizen

Member No.: 40,660

I graduated last year but I still staff the local marching band. I don't think you can get much nerdier than that. Anyway, I play and own all four saxes, clarinet, oboe, flute, and I am currently learning how to play bassoon. I was in marching band for four years playing clarinet, alto sax (as section leader), and then was drum major for the next two years. I was in the Wind symphony in high school and was a tenor sax in the jazz band and lead tenor my senior year. I pretty much think that qualifies me as one of the ultimate band geeks. Oh yeah, our marching band always plays music like a symphonic band would, like Steven Melillo and stuff like that. Anyway... Power to the Geeks!!

--------------------
Are YOU a member of the belly button club?
"There is such a thing as good grief... just ask Charlie Brown"

+Quote Post
Funderful
post Oct 24 2006, 01:30 PM
Post #9

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 41,785

Alto Saxophone! >:D

I'm forced to be in band, though.
I'm quitting at the end of the year.

I still play guitar though.
Rock on! ohmy.gif
Actually, it's acoustic.
So how 'bout I don't.
Let's here it for portable-ness!

I <3 Music, though.
Any type.
Celtic, Rock, Punk, J-Pop, Techno, You name it, I've Listened.

Except for Britney Spears.
I've listened, but it hurt.

+Quote Post
Kal Rommel
post Oct 24 2006, 03:55 PM
Post #10

Alchemists

Member No.: 38,057

Well...I'm in flags. We're a marching band this year, we've already been to 3 competitions, where we were royally dissed...
Last Saturday, we went to a competition, and they announced all the bands in our category as 'superior'

WC High School Band: 'Good'....let's all give a 2nd round of applause to WC Band!!!!!!!!

It really really sucked...
We've got one show set for this year, as far as I know of. It's called a 'Touch of Latin'
Tigers of San Pedro, Rhythm is Gonna Get You, and Children of Sanchez.

We play at home games, there are like...four parades...Homecoming, Festival, Christmas, and Apple Blossom.

We've got another competition this Saturday...and a game on Friday.

Anyways. I know I may not be a true band geek...but I like to consider myself in there somewhere. Lots of people look down upon the flags, just b/c in previous years the flags haven't been that great. I'm a sophomore and it's my first year, so of course I get a hard time b/c I'm a sopphie.

A flaggot is what I am, and I am proud of it! >>;
Maybe.
I can play piano, but that doesn't count in marching band. So I just twirl my flag and dance all Latin-ish and stuff...

By the way...I love that this thread was created...even if I'm not a true band geek, it's still awesome.

--------------------

^Siggy made by me

+Quote Post
The New Fullmeta...
post Oct 25 2006, 01:27 PM
Post #11

Yay, I'm glad you like the thread! And I understand what you mean about people looking down on flags - I'm not in it (we call it "colorguard"), but my friend is teaching me... actually, when you get right down to it, each section dislikes another section... Here's what this cool band-related motivational speaker said when a bunch of us went to hear him speak:

"The brass hate the woodwinds, the woodwinds hate the guard, and the percussion hate the world!"

Haha!

BTW, everyone please thank Ailuro for unlocking the topic for us! We're not sure how it got locked, but it did, and Ailuro fixed it! Thanks, Ailuro!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kal Rommel
post Oct 25 2006, 03:48 PM
Post #12

Alchemists

QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Oct 25 2006, 04:27 PM) [snapback]465405[/snapback]

Yay, I'm glad you like the thread! And I understand what you mean about people looking down on flags - I'm not in it (we call it "colorguard"), but my friend is teaching me... actually, when you get right down to it, each section dislikes another section... Here's what this cool band-related motivational speaker said when a bunch of us went to hear him speak:

"The brass hate the woodwinds, the woodwinds hate the guard, and the percussion hate the world!"

Haha!

BTW, everyone please thank Ailuro for unlocking the topic for us! We're not sure how it got locked, but it did, and Ailuro fixed it! Thanks, Ailuro!

Well...technically, we are color guard, but we're not THAT special, so we're just flag corp. Such a wonderful title. Especially when followed by flaggots. We want rifles...but it's not going to happen . -sigh-
And about the motivational speaker...it's so true.
Although our drumline is...funky. With 3 snares, because our drumline captain quit, two quads, and 4 bass drums...one of them's a cheerleader , whom I have nothing against, I just find it funny when we're all in our uniforms and the cheerleader is in her squad uniform. She's quite nice , actually.
Our pit's pretty cool. They pick up our flags for us and stuff. But at our last competition they put our flags down like...on the wrong side of the 50, so we had to take an extra 16 counts to run and get them and run back...It was awkward...

Band fundraisers came into today! xDDD Woohoo!!! Go Joe Corbi's!!! Now onto the fruit and candle sales!!!!!

Anyways. I can rant about band stuff, even if I AM in the flag corp. Funny.
----------------
Thank you Ailuro-sama!!!!!

--------------------

^Siggy made by me

+Quote Post
22-250
post Oct 25 2006, 04:17 PM
Post #13

Citizen

Member No.: 37,864

QUOTE(Hugh the Hit Man @ Oct 24 2006, 01:24 PM) [snapback]464621[/snapback]

I graduated last year but I still staff the local marching band. I don't think you can get much nerdier than that. Anyway, I play and own all four saxes, clarinet, oboe, flute, and I am currently learning how to play bassoon. I was in marching band for four years playing clarinet, alto sax (as section leader), and then was drum major for the next two years. I was in the Wind symphony in high school and was a tenor sax in the jazz band and lead tenor my senior year. I pretty much think that qualifies me as one of the ultimate band geeks. Oh yeah, our marching band always plays music like a symphonic band would, like Steven Melillo and stuff like that. Anyway... Power to the Geeks!!

I thought there were five saxophones.

Soprano, alto, Tenor, Bari, and bass?

--------------------
Hitler was a Drug-free vegetarian, so remember, to beat Facism, eat meat and do lots of Drugs.

+Quote Post
The New Fullmeta...
post Oct 25 2006, 05:45 PM
Post #14

Yeah, I think so... (about the saxophones)

Haha! That's great, Kal Rommel! You can "band nerd" w/ the best of us! ^^ Fruit and candle sales? huh.gif It seems like every band in america but ours does stuff like that! laugh.gif We do cheesecakes... don't ask... I'm not even sure...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kal Rommel
post Oct 25 2006, 06:36 PM
Post #15

Alchemists

QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Oct 25 2006, 08:45 PM) [snapback]465615[/snapback]

Yeah, I think so... (about the saxophones)

Haha! That's great, Kal Rommel! You can "band nerd" w/ the best of us! ^^ Fruit and candle sales? huh.gif It seems like every band in america but ours does stuff like that! laugh.gif We do cheesecakes... don't ask... I'm not even sure...

YAY!!!!!
Cheesecakes sound yummy...oO
Well...we're a very badly funded band...and our trip to the NYC costs like...$450...more than I've been able to make at my nursery job in like....5 months...

I've never really done fund raisers before oO;
It was always...Jump Rope For Heart or something...and that was forever ago...><;
But I'm like...1/4 of the way there....

--------------------

^Siggy made by me

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th June 2016 - 02:54 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css