The Waters Of Lethe, Edward tries to let go of his past
Rating 4 V
IttyBittyPretty
post Mar 25 2007, 06:38 PM
Post #61

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 35,364

*whines* When are you gonna draw more pretty pictures about it? Some might be a challenge to illustrate, I read some chapters and think, "Hmmm, if I was dzioo, what would I draw?"
I see pictures in my head, but I am incapable of putting them down on paper, except in words.

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

Tear off your own head, it's a doll revolution! - ELvis Costello
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dzioo
post Mar 27 2007, 12:53 PM
Post #62

Citizen

Member No.: 9,679

not this week, maybe next one, but after wednesday unfortunately sad.gif I have project's evaluation so drawing before that is impossible

all your chapters are chalenging, because there are so many possibilities wat to draw that sometimes it's hard to choose. in latest chapters you've introduced new characters, Steven and his fiend, and it tempts me ALOT to draw them but I don't know if I'm allowed to design them on my own

and don't imagine being me. dzioo thinks in strange ways^^;

+Quote Post
IttyBittyPretty
post Mar 27 2007, 06:43 PM
Post #63

Oh, design away my dear, design away. I know I've only given a sketchy description of Steve (blond and blue eyed, tall, and he's healthier looking than Ed), and I didn't describe Jim at all, bad!

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

+Quote Post
IttyBittyPretty
post Mar 28 2007, 04:36 PM
Post #64

OK peeps, here is where those who have knowledge of the Japanese language, and Japanese social customs of the early 1930s can put their knowledge to use.
Edward will eventually flee to Japan to escape the Nazis, and he gets a job tutoring a young man in physics and chemistry (here is where all that assisting in his father's classroom, plus his natural brilliance pay off). The grandfather of his student gets it into his head Edward is a demon, plus he hates his "gaigan" name. So he gives Ed a new name, one which means "yellow (or golden) eyed demon". I tried figuring this out myself with a English/Japanese translation site, but it didn't look right, so maybe I messed up. He needed a first name, so I'm thinking he would have chose Jounichi (sp?), it just sounds better than Edo.
About Japanese society: I know the samurai were abolished by the late 19th century, but were there still noble families in the 30s? Also, when did the Japanese government begin making contact with the Nazi government? What did the Japanese government do with foreigners living in Japan in the mid to late 1930s? Imprision them, or expell them?
Did people still wear the old style of Japanese clothing or was everyone wearing Westernized clothing by then? What are the proper names of this traditional clothing?
As an employee, how would Edward address the father, and grandfather of his student? How would he address the student? (This is assuming, Ed, with his facility for languages, would have picked up Japanese very quickly)
I appreciate any assistance because I don't want to embarass myself by using the wrong words or expressions. Thanks!

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

+Quote Post
Edamame
post Mar 29 2007, 08:58 AM
Post #65

Member No.: 38,530

IttyBittyPretty: Wow, let me just say that I was certainly not expecting Edward to flee to 1930s Japan in order to flee the Nazis. I can not even imagine how Edward (a European) would be recieved by Japanese society during this period in history. (I have a feeling that he wouldn't be greated warmly.) During the 1920s the Japanese government had progressed toward a democratic system of government known as Taisho democracy; this was a time of rather liberal movement. (In 1923, Japan was greatly affected by the Great Kanto earthquake, which devasted their economy. This was intensified by the global Depression.) in However, this form of government was not rooted enough to withstand both politcal and economical strains, and in the late 1920s and early 1930s the Japan witnessed a switch to a 'military government.' The military pretty much established complete control over the government and numerous 'communists' and political enemies were assasinated or persectued. Censorship was becoming increasingly intensified, and in 1933 Japan withdrew from the League of Nations after being critcally criticised for the Manchuria Occupation.
In 1937, the second Sino-Japanese war broke out; Japan occupied almost the whole cost of China. Severe war atrocities were commited, with perhaps the most famous being the "Nanking Massacre". In 1940, Japan allied with the axis powers of Germany and Italy. This greatly intensified the already strained relationship that Japan had with the United States and Great Britian. An oil boycot was placed upon Japan; in response Japan captured the oil in Indonesia and enter into war against the US and Great Britian.

~Allright, that was a horrifically brief little account. I haven't had Japanese history since secondary school. I wish that I could help you with the cultural aspects during this period, but I think that your best bet would be to consult some books or even look at historical documents during that period. (I believe that many Japanese people were influenced by European fashion. You can see evidence of both European fashion and traditional Japanese fashion if you search for photographs from that period. Europeans and Americans in turn were influenced by Japanese fashion, especially the kimono.) I have only had three and a half years of Japanese, so my language skills are no where near some of fluent/ more proficient Japanese speakers in our forums. Perhaps you could ask Tombow, and AA Battery because they seem to go a great deal of translation.

It is rather funny that you mentioned traditional clothing, because I was just looking up information for my costume desing class.
Suprisingly wikipedia does a rather nice job with defining terms:
Kimono, accesories, and related garments
Yukata
Court Garments
Hakama

--------------------

+Quote Post
IttyBittyPretty
post Mar 29 2007, 11:55 AM
Post #66

Ironically, Hitler took power in 1933 as well. Future chapters are still nebulous (but I've actually scribbled down a couple of them in my writing journal), but I'm thinking that Hitler would intensify his search to acquire more "mystical" objects - even living ones like Edward Elric. Odd that FMA hasn't been crossed over with the Indiana Jones series.

Although there is a current story on FF.net called "Indiana Elric?" by Shadow Mage Evelyn. It starts out as a crack fic, but has become a straight adventure story now. And way back in the FMA archives of that site is an abandoned story which has Ed saving Indy's bacon in a bar fight.

The "Nanking Massacre" is better known as "The Rape of Nanking" because some truly atrocious crimes were committed against women and children.
NPR did a story on that (2007 is the 70th anniversary) and the story mentioned a Nazi diplomat who hid many Chinese from Japanese troops.

So, the Nazi and Japanese governments were allies, albeit wary ones. If the Nazis located Edward in Japan, it's likely they would send a team to "retrieve" him.

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

+Quote Post
IttyBittyPretty
post Apr 2 2007, 07:49 PM
Post #67

The Waters Of Lethe

Disclaimer: I don't own FMA, I just like to play around in it's world and torture Ed for awhile.
Author's note: Post-series and very AU. Some movie events will happen, just not exactly as they did in the film.
Warning: May contain movie spoilers, also bad language, blood, violence, death and maybe sex.
Summary: Thanks to the distraction caused by the "riot", Edward has escaped detection and successfully fled from Munich to Vienna. But the reach of the Nazi Party is long, and Edward isn't out of the woods yet.
Beta: Insane Fangirl

19. The Chase Is On (Die Verfolgung ist eingeschaltet)

When he returned to work at six the next morning, Captain Kesslar finally got a piece of good news. A guard on platform ten remembered seeing a young man with long blond hair in a ponytail, and wearing a brown coat running to catch the last night train to Vienna. "He barely made it, Herr Captain," the guard recalled with a chuckle. "I really thought he had no chance but somehow he caught up and made the steps of the last car just before he ran out of platform. I won't soon forget determination like that!"

The Captain thanked him and walked quickly back to the station master's office to place two quick phone calls. First to Hess to tell him Elric had been seen boarding a train to Vienna, followed by a long-distance call to the main Vienna train station. Kesslar gave them a detailed description of Edward, the reason he was wanted and he also promised to wire them a current photograph of the young man. After a quick visit to the wire services office, he went back to his desk at the station police headquarters feeling very virtuous.

In the Munich headquarters of the Thule Society, Rudolph Hess made a phone call of his own, first to Nazi sympathizers in Vienna, who he ordered to get a couple of men over to the train station quickly. But he hesitated before calling Fraulein Eckart, she didn't rise before seven, and she didn't take kindly to being disturbed prior to that hour. So he set the receiver back onto it's cradle and cupped his chin in one hand, while he drummed the fingers of the other on his desk. He sighed once, and fantasized about Shambala...

Unfortunately for the two Nazis who raced to the Vienna station, the night train from Munich had pulled in ahead of schedule. While they searched the mostly emptied train, Edward was already at a ticket window, purchasing passage to his next destination: Milan, Italy. After disembarking from the train, Edward had decided to go south a little further before he struck east. Plus, breaking his journey into shorter legs would attract less attention

After he purchased his ticket, Edward had some time to kill before his train departed at eight, so he left the station and found an cafe which had just opened for the day. He ordered a mug of black coffee, and a croissant, then sat down at a table nearest the counter and flipped the pages of a day old newspaper in a desultory fashion. When his order was brought by a waitress, Edward dropped three lumps of sugar into the coffee and stirred it slowly, but his mind was elsewhere on another matter.

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

+Quote Post
IttyBittyPretty
post Apr 9 2007, 12:52 PM
Post #68

The Waters of Lethe

Disclaimer: I don't own FMA, I just like to play around in it's world and torture Ed for awhile.
Author's note: Post-series and very AU, these drabbles are rated for violence, blood, death, probably bad language, and maybe sex. Some movie events will happen, just not the same way they did in the movie
Warning: may contain movie spoilers
Summary: It's been less than 24 hours since Edward found his father dying on the sofa in their Munich home. After he gave his ticket on the Calais Express to an American cowboy, Edward successfully slipped away to Vienna, but the Thule Society is back on the scent...
Beta: Insane Fangirl

20. A change of direction (Eine anderung der Richtung)

After an interval of wakefulness, Edward had managed to fall asleep on the train, but his slumber had been troubled by a vivid dream of a dark-skinned man. Edward dreamed he was walking through a long corridor which was fitfully lit by flaring torches, towards a man sitting upon a huge throne. The man's face was obscured by a golden mask and he held a golden staff in one hand. As Edward drew closer, the man held out his other hand. And nestled in its palm was a softly glowing red object - the Philosopher's Stone.

The man seemed to be offering him the stone, and Edward reached out to take it. But the instant their fingers touched, a spark leapt between them and he was suddenly paralyzed. Pictures raced through his mind, the images coming so fast and furious Edward's mind couldn't process them. It reminded him of the night of the failed transmutation when the Gate had crammed his head with so much information he thought it would burst. Then to his horror, the mask began to dissolve and the molten gold ran down like tears to reveal a staring purple eye floating in a sea of blackness.

Edward jerked back when the eye suddenly rushed towards him and he felt himself falling...falling...

He cried out wildly and came to just as he rolled off the compartment seat and hit the floor with a bone-jarring thud. Trembling and gasping, Edward sat up in the near darkness with sweat pouring down his face. Gradually the waking world became clearer to him - the rocking of the train car, the clickity-clack of the wheels, and the forlorn cry of the locomotive's whistle - as the dream images began to fade.

At his table in the cafe, Edward stared into his cooling coffee as he tried to recall the dream. The images were no longer clear, but the disturbing feeling they had given him was. Dreams were merely messages from the subconscious mind and weren't meant to be taken literally, but maybe...just maybe this one was trying to tell him something. He lifted the mug to his lips and sipped, the coffee slipped down his throat and warmed his insides. It tasted so good, he dipped his croissant into the steaming liquid before he ate.

Don't go to Turkey, take...another direction...

Just after seven, Edward re-crossed the road to the station and entered. He didn't notice the two men following him until he'd paused to consult the departure board for the platform number his train would be leaving from. Edward repeated the number, softly under his breath a few times till he memorized it and he'd just turned away when a hand clamped tightly around his left arm.

"Edward Elric?" His mind still on the next stage of his flight, Edward blinked and looked up. What he saw gave him a cold, sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach.

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

+Quote Post
dzioo
post Apr 18 2007, 01:34 AM
Post #69

Citizen

Member No.: 9,679

OH MY GOD the suspence again!!!!!! brilliant. such a calm chapter..... well at least for me, dealing with dreams, no matter how scarry they are, makes me calm^^ and then again, one last line was able to rurn everything upside down^^ love you totally for that^^

+Quote Post
Edamame
post Apr 18 2007, 06:09 AM
Post #70

Member No.: 38,530

IttyBitty: You have a great talent for capturing detail; you made Edward's dream seem so vivid. I love the imagery. I must admit that I feel rather bad for Edward who never seems to get a moment of peace to ease his troubled mind. Are you still having Edward head to Asia?

--------------------

+Quote Post
IttyBittyPretty
post Apr 19 2007, 05:26 PM
Post #71

Dzioo: I like to keep my audience riveted. Virtual chocolate chip cookies to anyone who can name the movie that line came from.

Edamame: As of right now, I've plotted out Edward's next two temporary refuges. I'm still thinking of Japan, but first I've got to find out when exactly did the Japanese government become hostile to gaigin [sp? - foreigners] and what did they do? Imprison them or deport them? Also when did the Japanese government begin cooperating with the Nazi government?

Would the Nazi government send a photo of Edward and the reason he was wanted to the Japanese government? More importantly, would the Japanese, if they imprisoned Edward, just hand him over to the Nazis?

Or would they wonder WHY Hitler (or Goring or Himmler) wanted Edward so badly and decide to keep the "Shambalan" for their own ends? If that occured, it would be like Edward leapt from the frying pan - and right into another frying pan.

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

+Quote Post
IttyBittyPretty
post Apr 24 2007, 06:26 PM
Post #72

"The Waters of Lethe" has hit some rapids. I popped in the disk I keep the chapters on (up to ch 37) in last night to upload chapter 21 to ff.net. Clicked "browse" and I noticed the floppy took a little longer than usual to open, and imagine my consternation when I discovered all the chapters after 4 are now GONE!
I don't know what happened, I don't treat this floppy any differently from the others. And I haven't opened the floppy for two weeks. Initially, I was just sick about it, but this is not quite the disaster I feared. Because the first 36 chapters are backed up on hard copy (I think I can reconstruct 37), I can re-type them gradually and upload them. It'll just take me a little time because I've got some more important (yes, more important than fanfiction)things on my plate and I've got to clear that stuff first.
So, I will be getting chapter 21 to your eager eyes in the next week. I was very productive in Texas, and I also completed chapter 30 of "And All Manner.." and got a start on chapter 31. I didn't do any writing on the plane, the turbulence made it impossible for me to concentrate on writing.
My sister gave me a spare USB flash drive, and I may use that as a second backup source in the future.

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

+Quote Post
Kenji
post Apr 25 2007, 05:42 AM
Post #73

Brigadier General

Member No.: 44,341

Oh no...so sorry to hear that.... sad.gif
Just finish off whatever more important first...
Guess I'll have to wait another week to read my favourite fanfic of all time... smile.gif

+Quote Post
IttyBittyPretty
post Apr 26 2007, 08:16 AM
Post #74

Aw, Kenji. "My favorite fanfic of all time" is such a nice thing to say. So I've reconsidered waiting until Monday. I re-typed chapters 21-24 and I must say The Curious Affair of the Misbehaving Floppy Disc is turning into more and more of a blessing in disguise. I had time to re-visit what I'd written and make some changes to those chapters. Hey Insane Fangirl PM me when you are ready to read 22 thru 24, 'k?
+++++++++++++++++++++++

The Waters of Lethe

Disclaimer: I don't own FMA, I just like to play around in it's world and torture Ed for awhile

Author's note: post series and very AU. Some movie events will happen, but differently

Warning: May contain movie spoilers, violence, blood, death, bad language, and possibly sex.

21. Trapped (Eingeschlossen)

Edward tried to brazen his way out the situation he was in, "I'm terribly sorry, but my name is Bauer, Edward Bauer, and I'm a Swiss citizen. You have the wrong man, good morning!" He twisted his arm out of the man's hand and started to walk away. Only to be brought up short when the man grabbed his ponytail and yanked it - hard.

"You are lying," the man, in the uniform of the Vienna train station police took a fresh hold of Edward's left arm as another uniformed policeman grabbed Edward's right arm in a firm grasp. He held up a sheet of paper with a black and white photo on it, and Edward's blood ran cold. "You are Edward Elric, and a little bird in Munich told me you ran away from an insane asylum. But your running is over, and you will come with us now."

Feeling numb with shock, Edward dropped his suitcase and dug in his heels, "No, please! You have the wrong man, sir! This is a terrible mistake!" Skating close to the edge of an all-out panic, Edward started to struggle in earnest, but he couldn't shift the grip of the two policemen. At an unspoken signal, they yanked him off his feet and he found himself kicking ineffectually.

"Where are you taking me?" he cried, his voice hitching upwards with hysteria. Edward got his answer a few minutes later as he was partially carried, and partially dragged into the stationmaster's office. A third man, grey-haired and austere, and dressed in a dark suit got up from his seat at a desk.

"Hmph!" he said after perhaps thirty seconds of peering into Edward's face. "He doesn't look dangerous to me, what to you think, Captain Braun?"

Captain Braun, the man who had first grabbed Edward, shrugged. "I just know what Kesslar in Munich told me. He doesn't seem like a dangerous lunatic to me either, but looks can be deceiving."

"All right then," the grey-haired man paused as if to collect his thoughts. "Put him in the back room and let him cool his heels for awhile. The door has a good, strong lock on it and he'll be secure untill that Dr. Stein comes to collect him."

"NO!" Edward shouted, in a desperate appeal to the stationmaster. "I'm not the man you're looking for! Please, sir! You have to believe me!" He yanked and twisted as hard as he could, but it was like steel bands were holding his arms. The trio crossed the room towards a plain wooden door which stood ajar, Edward was thrust into a small room beyond it, which was barren except for a table and two chairs.

Once his arms were released, Edward whirled around and he tried to dart between Captain Braun and the other man, only to go reeling backwards when his suitcase hit him in the face. He lost his balance and fell hard on the floor, then he just sat there, winded, and looked up at Braun.

"You behave yourself now, or I'll call the station doctor to give you something to calm you down." Edward must have given him a suitably horrified look, because Braun smiled grimly and added, "There's a good little nutcase, just be quiet and don't give us anymore trouble."

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

+Quote Post
Kenji
post Apr 26 2007, 08:29 AM
Post #75

Brigadier General

Member No.: 44,341

QUOTE(IttyBittyPretty @ Apr 26 2007, 11:16 PM) [snapback]535771[/snapback]
Aw, Kenji. "My favorite fanfic of all time" is such a nice thing to say. So I've reconsidered waiting until Monday.

Yeah... this is the very first FANfic I commited into reading in this section...
And you inspired me to write fanfics too... so I start off my first fanfic a month ago and the second one next month... ^.^

BTW...check it out later, I will drop you a comment... I have to re-read Chapter 19 and 20 before reading chapter 21... XD
A bad habit of mine... >.<

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2016 - 04:46 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css