Rating 4 V
IttyBittyPretty
post Feb 12 2007, 05:02 PM
Post #46

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 35,364

The Waters of Lethe

Disclaimer: I don't own FMA, I just like to play around in it's world and torture Ed for awhile.
Warning: May contain movie spoilers, as well as violence, death, and possible sex.
Summary: The Thule Society has discovered Edward and Hohenheim are from the other side of the Gate and want them to open a portal to their world. After his father is fatally injured and dies, Edward must flee alone. He's made it to the train station, but his pursuers are close behind.

14. Maximum Farce (Maximale Farce)

The Calais Express was leaving in ten minutes from a platform on the other side of the Munich train station, so Steve and Mike ran all the way, weaving their way through knots of fellow travellers.

"Hey Mike!" Steve gasped after he bounced off a stout man who snapped at him in German to watch where he was going. "Don't it seem to you everyone else seems to be heading in the opposite direction we wanna go?"

Mike didn't answer right away because he was busy trying not to trip over a baby carriage as the pair made the turn around pillars marking the entrance to the platform. Neither noticed two large men in dark coats and red Nazi armbands who were just standing there. Mike assumed they were waiting for one of the recent arrivals who were making their progress so difficult. In actuality, they were Hess's men, on the lookout for Edward. When Steve, who had longish blond hair and wore a brown leather coat trotted by, they could be forgiven for thinking they had their man.

Neither man had seen a color photo of Edward and they just had Hess's description to go on. But Steve Longworth, 6' 4" tall, muscular and broad shouldered, blonde and blue eyed was definately not Edward Elric.

The two Nazis fell into position behind Steve and when he was briefly halted by a knot of people, both clapped meaty hands on his shoulders and upper arms.

"HEY!" Steve frowned at the two men who gave him sympathetic smiles in return.

The one man who held his left shoulder, a dark haired fellow with cold green eyes said, "Come with us, Edward, don't try to resist."

"What the hell!?" Mike had seen what was happening and he turned back to help his friend. Two men had a hold of Steve and they were dragging - or rather, trying to drag Steve away.

"It's all right, Edward," crooned the dark-haired man. "We understand you are upset about your father. Dr. Stein will just give you a little sedative and then you'll have a nice long nap."

"My name is Steve, not Edward, fellas. " Steve was trying to josh with the two Germans, but his blood was beginning to boil as he realized just what kind of trouble he had inherited.

That little twerp!

Meanwhile, the 'little twerp' had finally reached the head of the line at the ticket counter. Edward pushed a small pile of marks under the glass and politely requested a round-trip second class ticket on the last night train to Vienna. He was outwardly calm, but inside his nerves were jangling like fire alarms. He feared at any moment the feel of fingers clamping around arms, and the sound of a voice asking, "Going somewhere, Edward?"

Despite the preoccupation with his fears, Edward dimly heard a commotion in the distance. He looked over, but couldn't see anything over the heads of taller travellers. Then a young man ran up to the ticket counter and shouted, "Call the police! A riot has broken out by the Calais Express!"

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

Tear off your own head, it's a doll revolution! - ELvis Costello
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Edamame
post Feb 13 2007, 09:37 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 38,530

Itty Bitty Pretty: Wow, it looks like poor Steve has fallen into a rather difficult predicament. I do have to admire Edward's sheer craftiness though. You gave us another great chapter with yet another cliff-hanger. Keep up the great work!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kenji
post Feb 13 2007, 06:49 PM
Post #48

Brigadier General

Member No.: 44,341

Nice Nice...keep it up ^.^

That little twerp
laugh.gif

+Quote Post
IttyBittyPretty
post Feb 19 2007, 03:12 PM
Post #49

The Waters of Lethe

Disclaimer: I don't own FMA, I just like to play around in it's world and torture Ed for awhile.
Warning: may contain movie spoilers, plus violence, language and possibly sex.
Author's note: post series and very AU. Some movie events will happen, just very differently.
Beta: Insane Fangirl

15. Oh, Vienna! (OH - , wien)

His train ticket clutched firmly in hand, Edward pelted at full tilt down platform ten. A rush of people heading in the direction of the supposed "riot" had dragged him along for several yards before he could work his way free. And the conductor had shouted "all aboard!" for the night train to Vienna by the time he got to his platform.

The train had begun to move as he neared, fortunately the conductor had seen him and he shouted "come on, lad!" in encouragement. After he put the ticket between his teeth, Edward made a two-handed throw of his suitcase towards the conductor who caught it and set it behind him. The train was gathering speed and Edward was about to run out of platform as with one final lunge he leapt for the steps of the last coach.

One hand snagged a railing, but then his left foot slipped. Edward would have fallen beneath the wheels if not for the conductor seizing his flailing left arm and bodily hauling him aboard. His chest heaving, Edward clutched the railings for dear life and sucked air into his aching lungs. The train slid from the staion and began to chug through the rail yard, heading south towards the rails which would take it to Vienna. The cold wind grabbed at Edward's coat and sent it billowing behind him, and threatening to drag him off his perch. With a grunt of effort, he pulled his way up the steps and followed the conductor into the warmth of the coach.

They had entered a third-class coach, so Edward had a short hike before he came to the second-class cars. They were practically empty and he easily found a compartment. After he gave the conductor his ticket to punch, Edward was left in solitary splendor. He opened his suitcase and rummaged through the books in search of the one he'd been reading last night for a few moments before he recalled it was still on the night stand next to his bed. Damn. Edward scowled briefly before he fished out a chemistry text he hadn't yet read. He closed and re-strapped the case, then settled back in his seat and opened the book's cover. Despite his circumstances, a small sigh of contentment escaped his lips.

Back in the station master's office, Steve rubbed fingers over his eyes and repeated himself for the umpteenth time. "My name is Steven Longworth, I'm an American and I work as a ranch hand in Daniel, Wyoming. I'm not Edward Elric, and I don't know who he is. Anyways, my dad is still alive and kickin'."

He glared at Captain Kesslar of the train station police force who gave him a poker-faced look in return. The captain had come on the scene of the supposed "riot" at platform twenty-one to find four injured men wearing Nazi insignia lying groaning on the concrete floor. Their fellows were surrounding two Americans who stood back to back and prepared to send more Nazis flying.

It was difficult to get a straight story from excited witnesses, but the gist was two of the Nazis had seized one man and were trying to drag him away when the other man came to his aid and all Hell broke loose. Captain Kesslar pinched the bridge of his nose with two fingers. Those four words appeared to sum up very well what had happened, but he still could not put them in the official report he would have to write and deliver before he could go home tonight. "Bitte, Herr Longworth, please tell me what happened from the beginning. How did you come by this ticket?"

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

+Quote Post
Edamame
post Feb 20 2007, 07:35 PM
Post #50

I'm glad to see that you updated IttyBitty! Once again you have written another great installment. Its nice to see Edward enjoying a few minutes of much needed reprise. (Why don't I think that it will last for long?) Nice job!

--------------------

+Quote Post
IttyBittyPretty
post Mar 5 2007, 07:22 PM
Post #51

The Waters of Lethe

Warning: may contain movie spoilers, also violence, blood, bad language and maybe sex.
Author's note: post series and very AU; some movie events will happen, but differently.
Summary: Edward gives his Calais ticket to a traveller from America and makes good his escape from Germany. Meanwhile Steve and Jim are questioned by Captain Kessalar about the "riot" on platform 21. Will they inadvertantly put the Thule Society back on Edward's trail?

16. The Hounds Cast About (Die Jagdhunde warfen ungefahr)

The door to the stationmaster's office opened and Steve's friend and travelling companion Jim Sims walked in, trailed by two station police sergeants. "Good news, Steve!" Jim burbled merrily, he had a knack for seeing the bright side of things. "They'll hold the Calais Express for half an hour, so if we can get this cleared up, we still could make it."

Captain Kesslar indicated a chair to the left of Steve. "Please have a seat, Herr...?"

"Sims, Jim Sims - from Montana." He extended one sinewy hand and shook the surprised Captain's with tremendous strength. "Me and Steve," Kesslar winced at the poor grammar. "Are cattle punchers at a ranch in Wyoming."

A wild mental picture of the two slugging cows sprang up in the captain's mind. He pinched his eyes shut and shook his head as if to eject that picture out of his cranium.

"Herr Sims, your friend has told me what occured, but I would like your story."

"Oh, sure. We'd gotten to the station late and I got the last ticket for the Calais Express, so Steve here was raggin' about how he'd have to cool his heels here overnight when this kid comes up to us and offers Steve a spare ticket for the Express, and the channel ferry."

Captain Kesslar looked down at a picture of Edward, half-hidden underneath his hands, which Hess had given him. "Can you describe this boy?"

Jim screwed his eyes shut in thought for a moment, "Lessee, his head came to about here on me," Jim put the edge of his palm at the middle of his chest. "Blond hair, really long and tied in a ponytail. I thought it looked strange, but things are done differently here in Europe, so I didn't pay it much mind. His eye color really struck me as unusual - yellow - I've never seen anyone with yellow eyes before. I thought maybe he was jaundiced, 'cause he did look kinda sickly."

The captain cocked his head and asked, "Really? Why do you believe he was sickly?"

"He was really thin and just about swimmin' in that brown coat he was wearin', like it was way too big for him. If we hadn't been pressed for time, I would have offered to take him to the station cafe for a meal, he looked like he could use some feedin.' He looked scared too, and when Steve asked him where his parents were, he acted downright spooked."

Jim paused for a moment before he asked in a half-joking manner, "Why are you after this kid anyways, did he rob a bank, or something?"

"Oh no, nothing so serious. He's just an escaped mental patient and it's important we find him."

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

+Quote Post
Edamame
post Mar 6 2007, 08:46 AM
Post #52

Itty Bitty: Can I just that I love your word choice. These short chapters really have a poetic quality to them. You also have quit a talent for capturing speech. I love the characterizations of Steve and Jim; I can almost picture them wrangling cattle in my mind. The last line really amused me, as did Steve's remark of how things are done differently in Europe. Well, it certainly looks like Edward has landed himself in a rather difficult predicament. I look forward to the next chapter.

--------------------

+Quote Post
IttyBittyPretty
post Mar 6 2007, 07:34 PM
Post #53

At first I was going to fix Jim's long speech paragraph to Kesslar. Because it was infested with commas and such. But on the verge of doing that, I thought, "Wait, if that is how Jim really speaks, I should leave it." I'm not really up on cowboy speech, but I'd always had the idea they aren't particularly worried about "talking pretty." OTOH: Jim and Steve are fairly sophisticated cowboys since Jim (and presumably Steve) make a big deal of the length of Ed's hair. A discarded backstory I had considered had both as veterans of trench warfare in France. Yep, they've seen it all - and they aren't surprised.

If you are wondering: yes, there IS a town called Daniel, Wyoming. My cousin Maggie owns a ranch or two there. She raises cattle and llamas.

And I wub.gif your kind words Edamame, never thought of my writing as "poetic". Oh, I tried writing poetry in high school and several attempts at it made me realize one important fact: I can't write poetry!

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

+Quote Post
IttyBittyPretty
post Mar 12 2007, 04:43 PM
Post #54

The Waters of Lethe

Author's note: post series and very AU; some movie events will happen, but differently.
Warning: May contain movie spoilers, as well as violence, blood, bad language, and maybe sex.

17. Dodged That Bullet (Ausgewichen dieser Gewehrkugel)

The Calais Express left the city limits of Munich and began to chug it's way west across Germany towards France. Even with the half hour delay, Steve and Mike barely made the train, leaping on board in a similar fashion to the way Edward had done. After the pair dropped their suitcases in their respective sleeper compartments, they made their way to the dining car for a late supper. Then they repaired to the smoking car.

"Hey Steve," Jim asked while his friend lit up a small dark brown cigar. "Do you believe Kesslar's story about Elric bein' a mental patient? He sounded convincin', but something ain't addin' up."

Once his cigar was drawing well, Steve handed the lighter to his friend before he sat back and took a slow drag, then blew smoke rings towards the roof of the car. He didn't speak until the last ring began to dissipate. "Kesslar was lyin', Jimbo. Cause if he really was crazy, guys in white coats and carryin' big nets would be after him, not Nazis. That kid was scared and I just wonder what he did to get those Krauts all riled up."

Jim had lit his own hand-rolled cigarette by now and he blew his own set of smoke rings before he replied, " I wouldn't wish Nazis on my worst enemy, cause those bastards are gonna be trouble in the future, Steve. Mark my words. I sure hope Edward gets away."

"Me too," Steve nodded. "That makes two of us."

Captain Kesslar's men had fanned out all over the station to question the ticket sellers, and managers of the various kiosks which sold newspapers and other items to travelers. No one one recalled seeing a slight young man with long blonde hair in a ponytail - until a ticket seller near platform five. Unfortunately for Kesslar, she couldn't remember for what destination, nor even what platform he'd headed for. She sold so many tickets each day faces just blurred together. But Kesslar gave her a spare picture of Edward anyways, just in case something jogged her memory.

For tonight, he'd had to admit defeat and he returned to the station master's office to report the failure of their search. Hess was also in the office, and with him was a woman with light brunette hair wearing a fashionable skirt suit, plus a dignified-looking older man with a pince-nez screwed into one eye socket. The station master, Herr Braun, leaned back in his big wooden chair and rubbed his chin while saying "Hmmmm..." He abruptly sat back upright and handed Kesslar a sheet of paper printed on both sides.

"Here is a timetable Captain Kesslar, use it to find out which trains have left in the last two hours from platforms one through ten for a start. If your quarry purchased his ticket at Fraulein Kehrmeyer's window, it's entirely reasonable he took a train leaving from a conveneintly nearby platform. Show Elric's picture to all the guards at each platform, and if no one remembers him, then repeat the process at platforms eleven through twenty."

"Ja wohl!" Captain Kesslar clicked his heels and bowed to Herr Braun, then to Hess and his two companions. His back held ramrod straight, he left the office without a backward glance, but with an uneasy feeling in his stomach. If a high-ranking Nazi was involved in the search, it didn't bode well for this Edward Elric.

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

+Quote Post
Edamame
post Mar 14 2007, 12:32 PM
Post #55

Lovely chapter IttyBitty; things certainly are not boding well for Edward at this point. You continue to have a fine talent for capturing detail. This has to be one of my favourite post series fics. A good piece of fan writing is becoming increasingly difficult to find these days, but you have proven yourself to be a talented writer. (I really want to see this illustrated... *_*)

--------------------

+Quote Post
IttyBittyPretty
post Mar 14 2007, 01:47 PM
Post #56

Pfft. This is nothing. The best post series fic I've ever read is "He Who Searches For Himself" by Yuuki Hikari. Yuuki, and Sable (author of "Fire And Light", which is also really darn good) are those happy authors who are talented enough to illustrate their own stories. Oops, almost forgot "Balance of Power" by the c_b_syndrome. Two of the three authors are Heathenesque and cowboys_and_alchemy, and they have done some illustrations for that story. All four of the above have DA accounts

Haven't heard from Dzioo lately, so I am assuming she is just really, really busy. She has submitted a few new pieces to her DA account and plans to submit the drawings she has already done for "Waters of Lethe".

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

+Quote Post
Edamame
post Mar 15 2007, 10:09 AM
Post #57

I agree that Yuuki Hikari's 'He who Searches for Himself' is simply beautiful; I was rather happy to see that she updated after a long hiatus. (She does such an incredible job combinding fantasy and historical fiction.) I still have to read "Fire and Light" which I hear is another incredible post-series fiction.

--------------------

+Quote Post
IttyBittyPretty
post Mar 15 2007, 06:35 PM
Post #58

You haven't read "Fire and Light" yet? *Tsk* It's right in this section. I can also suggest her visual omake "The Curse". You'll laugh your - um - derriere off.
http://sable-sama.deviantart.com/

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

+Quote Post
IttyBittyPretty
post Mar 22 2007, 03:48 PM
Post #59

The Waters of Lethe

Author's note: Post series and very AU. Some movie events will happen, just differently
Warning: Some movie spoilers, also violence, blood, death, and maybe sex.

18. Decision Point (Entschiedungspunkt)

Edward's stomach began to niggle at him after an hour or so of reading, and it was with a sigh he replaced the book in his suitcase and left his compartment in search of the dining car. It was three cars up and he got there just in time to get a roast beef sandwich and a bottle of beer. Since the car was about to close, Edward took his purchases back to his compartment. He pulled down a small table which was built into a wall of the car and sat down, but he didn't feel comfortable. Edward got up again and pulled the shades, both on the outside windows, and the ones looking out onto the corridor. Finally, he locked the door and at last feeling secure , he was able to enjoy his little snack.

While he thoughtfully chewed and swallowed the sandwich, thin slices of roast beef between slabs of thick bread spread with stone ground mustard,Edward mulled over his choices once the train arrived in Vienna. What direction shall I go? He could make a jog east and still go to France, or dive south west to Spain. He could also keep going straight south to Italy, or go south east to Turkey. Edward took a sip of his beer then put his head back and closed his eyes. Choices, choices.

He decided to flip a coin in the end and dug into his coat pockets, eventually coming up with a ten pfenning piece. Edward looked closely at it and his eyes misted over. He'd gotten this coin only last week. His father had been preparing guides for his students who would soon begin their studying for finals and they hadn't had time to go home for lunch. Hohenheim had given Edward a few marks and told him to run to a sandwich shop across the road from the University and buy some sandwiches and drinks. The ten pfenning piece had been mixed in among the change and somehow his fingers had missed it when they deposited the rest of the coins on Hohenheim's desk.

Edward looked hard at the coin in his palm. Okay - heads, I go south. Tails - I go east. Not west, that is still too risky. He flipped the coin into the air and it seemed to just hang there for longer than normal, spinning and reflecting in the compartment lights. It smacked back onto his hand with a solid thunk, and Edward turned it into his metal palm without looking.

Heads. South it is then.

Now he had another decision to make. Heads, I go straight south. Tails - I go south east or south west. Edward repeated the maneuver and the coin came up Tails.

Third time's the charm. Heads - south west. Tails - south east. He flipped the coin for the third time.

Tails.

When a wave of weariness crashed against his mind, Edward looked at his watch. It was nearly eight o'clock,and Edward realized he'd been awake for nearly twelve hours. His nap on the kitchen floor didn't count because he'd cried himself to sleep. He unzipped his fall jacket and wadded it up to serve as a makeshift pillow, and after pushing the table back into the wall, he carefully set his plate and the empty beer bottle where they wouldn't be accidentally stepped on. He did the same with his shoes after taking them off, then settled himself on the bench seat and used his coat as a blanket. Edward reached up to the wall switch and turned off the light before he lay back down and tried to make himself comfortable on the thin leather covering over wood.

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

+Quote Post
dzioo
post Mar 25 2007, 12:09 PM
Post #60

Citizen

Member No.: 9,679

south east....... sounds like romania to me XDDDDDD
no idea if you plan this but, it'd surely be something interesting^^

poor edward ;_; left totally alone, chased by nazis...... and now remembering about his dad.... if that coin has such a history, I hope it brings luck to him^^

fantastic as always^^ cannot wait for future developements, you sure keep me checking it frequently^^

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2016 - 10:52 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css