The Waters Of Lethe, Edward tries to let go of his past
Rating 4 V
IttyBittyPretty
post Nov 27 2006, 07:40 PM
Post #16

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 35,364

It won't always be angst, I hope to add more suspense and action later. TY for the compliments on my writing, but it's all due to my betas Insane Fangirl and Aemilia Rose (ff.net). I've learned a lot from both about proper use of punctuation, connecting words, and tenses.

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

Tear off your own head, it's a doll revolution! - ELvis Costello
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dzioo
post Nov 29 2006, 12:46 AM
Post #17

Citizen

Member No.: 9,679

QUOTE(IttyBittyPretty @ Nov 28 2006, 05:40 AM) [snapback]478817[/snapback]
It won't always be angst, I hope to add more suspense and action later. TY for the compliments on my writing, but it's all due to my betas Insane Fangirl and Aemilia Rose (ff.net). I've learned a lot from both about proper use of punctuation, connecting words, and tenses.

betas are important for writers and you're lucky to have them^^ however, it's not only thanks to betas that your writing is nice. your own talent matters the most, other people can only helf you to shape it

+Quote Post
IttyBittyPretty
post Dec 4 2006, 06:31 PM
Post #18

The Waters of Lethe

Disclaimer: I don't own FMA, I just like to play around in it's world and torture Ed for awhile.
Warning: May contain movie spoilers.
Summary: post series, very AU. The Thule Society has found out he and Hohenheim are from "Shambala" and the father and son have made plans to flee Germany. But Hohenheim is fatally injured during a confrontation with Hitler and he dies in front of a traumatized Edward.
Beta: InsaneFangirl

8. Like a thief in the night (wie en Dieb in der Nacht)

Edward awoke some hours later, still on the kitchen floor. He was stiff and sore from laying in a tucked-up fetal position, his arms yet wrapped around his midsection. His eyes were dry and sore, and his throat felt burned raw so Edward just lay still for a moment before he tried to move. His muscles protested, but he levered himself up on his hands and knees before he rolled to his feet.

It must have been a nightmare, just a nightmare.

Very slowly, afraid to look, Edward turned his head to the left, towards the living room. There on the sofa were his father's clothes, all sunken down because the man who had been wearing them had been turned to dust. Edward's knees trembled and he grabbed onto the edge of the sink for support. Breathing hard, he began to walk forwards while holding on to kitchen counter because he didn't trust his legs. When the counter came to an end, Edward put each arm out to the side for balance and approached the sofa.

One foot in front of the other, don't forget to breathe.

A pile of dust in the approximate shape of a human head had replaced the grinning skull which had sent Edward bolting to the kitchen earlier, yet another pile on the floor had sifted out of the left sleeve of Hohenheim's coat and two smaller piles marked the former location of his feet. He couldn't help recalling the words of Paul Briggs, the true owner of the body Hohenheim had hijacked centuries ago.

I hunted down and burned alchemists at the stake.

His father must have appreciated the irony when he took over the body of a witch hunter.

The left shoe abruptly tipped over and fell to the floor, causing Edward to leap backwards so suddenly he lost his balance and land hard on his backside. His eyes didn't seem to want to focus properly and after running a tongue over his dry lips, Edward realized his body was becoming dehydrated again, it's reaction to a lack of food and fluids. He needed to eat and drink something so he could think clearly.

Edward returned to the kitchen where he found a tin of day-old apple muffins in the bread box. They were still edible and he tore one into large chunks which he hastily chewed, but was unable to swallow. So he got a glass from a cupboard next to the sink, filled it with warm water from the tap and drank most of it in one gulp to help wash the muffin down. By alternating bites of bakery with drinks of water, Edward ate all four of the remaining muffins.

He was swallowing the last of the water when the phone rang. It startled him so badly he jumped and dropped the glass, and it shattered in the sink. Gasping for breath, Edward whirled and looked at the phone, but it kept on shrilling, demanding to be answered. Haltingly, he walked over on stiff legs and picked up the receiver.

"Hallo?"

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

+Quote Post
dzioo
post Dec 7 2006, 10:11 AM
Post #19

Citizen

oh my the SUSPENCEEEEEE!!!!! gaaaah you're really good at it^^
Ed is freaking out so much but you can't blame him. he's just seen his father desintegrate and is now all alone in an empty house.... man, I'd freak out myself^^;;

I love the way you put tiny details into it with such good care. it's really nice to read. and I absolutely don't want to know who's on the other site of the line...................... and yet I'm really curious XDD

great job!! can't wait for next chapters

+Quote Post
IttyBittyPretty
post Dec 7 2006, 06:18 PM
Post #20

Welll, if you would like to illustrate a chapter here and there...*hint*hint*

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

+Quote Post
dzioo
post Dec 10 2006, 03:11 PM
Post #21

Citizen

QUOTE(IttyBittyPretty @ Dec 8 2006, 04:18 AM) [snapback]481870[/snapback]
Welll, if you would like to illustrate a chapter here and there...*hint*hint*

lol now that you mention it it'd prolly be a nice idea^^ hmmmmmm have to think of my fav parts XD

+Quote Post
IttyBittyPretty
post Dec 11 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #22

The Waters of Lethe

Disclaimer: I don't own FMA, I just like to play around in it's world and torture Ed for awhile.
Warning: May contain movie spoilers. Already has contained character death and blood. Will eventually contain violence and possible sex.

9. Misdirection (Misdirection)

"Ah, hallo Edward, this is Fraulein Eckart. May I speak to your father, please?"

Edward went cold inside and he could feel the muffins he'd just eaten fighting to come up for air. He gulped hard and forced them back down before he tried to speak. "I'm sorry, Fraulein Eckart, but my father - father," Edward's eyes began to fill with tears and a few trickled down his cheeks as he fought for control. "Father - died. A few hours ago."

Eckart's voice never broke stride. "Ah, that is sad, very sad," she purred. "Just wait there and we will be along shortly to collect you, don't worry about a thing. The Thule Society will make all the necessary arrangements." She hung up and the line buzzed in his right ear. Edward glared at the receiver before he slammed it down on the cradle with such force the Bakelite broke into three pieces. He spun around to face the kitchen, his heart was pounding like a trip hammer.

We will be along shortly to collect you.

Edward was starting to hyperventilate he was in such a panic. Think, dammit! Think! He staggered back to the sink and turned on the tap to splash cold water on his face. It shocked his brain back into working and he began to think clearly again. All the curtains were still closed, even the one over the kitchen sink. Edward peeked out, it was still daylight, but the afternoon was well advanced. He looked at the clock. Three-fifteen p.m. It would start to get dark in just over an hour.

Dark. Run. Hide.

He had to get out of here, out of this house, out of Munich, and out of Germany. Out of the reach of the Thule Society and the Nazis. Things clicked into place and wheels began to turn. Edward felt more engaged than he had in months. He ran from the kitchen, through the living room to the blanket chest where he yanked the top open with such force the hinges squealed in protest. He slipped on his fall jacket and zipped it up, then followed it with his long brown winter coat and buttoned it. Then Edward dug in the outer pockets for his leather gloves.

To his surprise, Edward found a train ticket in one pocket and he scanned it quickly. It was for a second-class compartment on the five o'clock express to Calais, France. Something was paper clipped to it's back. Edward flipped the ticket over to find a second-class steamship ticket from Calais to Dover, England. This can't be right, he thought. Something is wrong here, very wrong.

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

+Quote Post
dzioo
post Dec 18 2006, 08:23 AM
Post #23

Citizen

oh boy oh boy..... you can expect something from me after wednesday regarding last 2 chapters XDD

+Quote Post
IttyBittyPretty
post Dec 18 2006, 06:17 PM
Post #24

Whee! I'm so excited about this cause no one has previously inspired enough by my writing to draw illustrations specifically for one of my more dramatic stories. *Sable drew an art request for me for Father's Day which went with the drabble "Father's Day". But that story was written as total fluff. ) After this chapter, I'll start alternating with "And All Manner..." again because my writing has caught up and surpassed the once a week update schedule I've set for myself.
The Waters of Lethe

Warning: May contain movie spoilers

10. Escape (Entweichen)

It didn't make sense to him. The Nazis would expect them to flee west to England, so why would his father purchase tickets for the most obvious escape route? Edward slapped his forehead when he remembered:

I will try to misdirect them so you at least can get away.

Acting on a hunch, Edward returned to the sofa and cautiously reached into the left pocket of his father's coat. There was the mate to his ticket, when the Thule Society members found this they go haring off in the wrong direction. Hohenheim's final gift to his son - a chance to escape. He would be a fool not to take it.

Edward heard the sound of car engines in the distance, and they were approaching fast. The Thule Society was coming for him. He spun around and raced to the chest and grabbed out his suitcase then slammed the lid shut. After he pushed aside the heavy curtain over the back window aside, he unlocked and pushed the pane up. The old wood rattled and Edward recalled this window was loose and had a tendency to come slamming down without warning, he would have to be careful. After he tossed his suitcase out, Edward stepped out over the low sill. When only halfway out, he twisted back to pull the curtains closed again.

He'd just gotten his other leg out when the pane came down on a trailing end of his coast. Edward tried to push up so he could free himself but the sash wouldn't budge. The car engines had turned onto the street their house was on and Edward began to panic, and he pulled frantically on his coat with one hand, and tried to lift the sash with the other. But he was stuck fast and his panic rose higher when brakes squealed just in front of the house.

The angle was awkward, but Edward twisted his body even more and worked the fingers of both hands underneath a slim edge of the sash and pushed upwards as hard as he could. The sash resisted at first, then wood squealed as it rose up, perhaps a millimeter. While he held it up with one hand, Edward yanked the trapped material out with the other, tearing off a tiny scrap of brown. He let go and the sash loudly thumped down. Edward was certain the men now pounding on the front door had heard it.

His left hand was freezing and he blew on the fingers before pulling out his leather gloves and slipping them on. The ticket fell out and down to the snow. Edward reached out for it but a gust of wind grabbed it and sailed it out of his reach. A loud crash from inside the house told him his putative captors had kicked the front door open, but he needed that ticket! He made one final lunge, captured it and jammed it into a coat pocket before he grabbed his suitcase from a bank of snow which had blown against the house.

Lights snapped on inside and he heard someone calling him. "Edward? Edward? Where are you?" Then an order to someone "Check upstairs, he could be hiding up there!" And hurried footsteps were followed by an exclamation of "Gott im himmel!"

They had seen what was left of Hohenheim. Soon enough, someone would get the idea to check behind the heavy window curtains, so Edward turned and ran up one edge of the courtyard to the next street over.

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

+Quote Post
dzioo
post Dec 21 2006, 03:46 PM
Post #25

Citizen

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/dzi...s-of-lethe1.jpg
here you can find my illustration for first chapter^^ I hope I'll be able to make more soon as your fic is really REALLy interesting. hope you like it^^

oh, I decided to keep it in ink, as it's done pretty fast^^

+Quote Post
Edamame
post Dec 21 2006, 05:17 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 38,530

I am so glad that I found a new post-series firction to read. Although each chapter is fairly short, you do a wonderful job with characterization and paying attention to the fine detail. You did a great job at capturing Edward's emotions when faced with his father's death and his current fear towards the Thule society. I really am looking forward to the next chapter. Keep up the nice work!

--------------------

+Quote Post
IttyBittyPretty
post Dec 21 2006, 06:20 PM
Post #27

*gasps*
WHOA!
*goggles*
This is freaking incredible. To have TWO fan artists of such high caliber - first Sable, and now Dzioo - draw something based on my ideas/fics. That - that is an honor which turns my knees to water. I'm serious. Monochromatic inking is fine, sometimes it's more effective than full color. I DO hope you will submit this to your deviant art account so I can fave it too. Um, I'm not a member of photobucket, must I be to view your album? This could go in the fanart gallery too.

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

+Quote Post
dzioo
post Dec 30 2006, 10:27 AM
Post #28

Citizen

ummm hehehe no need to thank me this much really^^ it's a pleasure to make those, believe me^^ and I'll think about putting it on DA, jus let me finish all of them^^

about photobucket - I don't really know^^; I have it so I can store pics I want to submit on LJ or various forums. no idea about viewing other albums Oo
hahaha I'm not posting any pics on fanart section either^^; I submit most o my pics on DA, I' not getting attention by posting them in other places either^^; you see I'm kinda shy about showing my works, that is all^^;

buuuut be happy^^ I have 2 more pics for you, this time coloured^^ with computer unfortunately but I wanted to practice a bit^^;
chapter 2: http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/dzioo/ch2.jpg
chapter 3: http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/dzioo/ch3.jpg
I hope you can enjoy them as much as you enjoyed the previous one^^

+Quote Post
IttyBittyPretty
post Dec 30 2006, 06:32 PM
Post #29

*deep breath* I don't do this very often, but this calls for such a reaction:

SQUEEE!!!!!

Love the facial expressions. Edward looks suitably peeved in the first one, and Hoho-Papa is suitably embarassed by the behavior of the fruit of his loins:
Ed: Dammit! Everyone's taller than me! ARGH!
Hoho: *to himself* Oh, shut up you ungrateful little punk. I should've hit you back that day in Risembool. You'd still be picking your teeth out of the grass.

Note: Ed should be using a crutch because he doesn't have his prosthetic limbs yet.

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

+Quote Post
IttyBittyPretty
post Jan 2 2007, 08:02 PM
Post #30

The Waters of Lethe

Summary: post series, very AU. This drabble series supposes what happens if the movie events had happened somewhat differently.
Warning: May contain movie spoilers. Rating may change for future language, sexual situations, and violence.

11. Project Shambala (Projekt Shambala)

Dietlinde Eckart sat like a queen in the idling touring car outside the Elric house and waited impatiently for Hess and his men to bring Edward out. On the seat opposite her, Dr. Stein was filling a syringe from an upended bottle of a clear liquid. The gullible doctor had already been briefed with a phony story about a young man who was so distressed by the sudden death of his father, he had taken temporary leave of his senses. The plan was to confine Edward to Dr. Stein's convalescent home a few miles outside of Berlin and gently nurse him back to health with rest and treament for his delusions.

What she hadn't told the good doctor was that drugs and hypnotic suggestion would actually be used to brainwash the 'Shambalan' into doing their bidding. Dietlinde had first-hand experience of Edward's obstinate attitude from prior meetings and he would not come quietly. But a dose of sedative from the steady hand of Dr. Stein would make him easier to handle. The good doctor pulled the needle from the bottle and capped it before he replaced the bottle in his black medical bag. Then he pulled out a bottle of alchohol and soaked a square of gauze with it. He looked expectantly towards the house when the front door slammed, but only a lone figure was seen coming out towards the car.

The back door shot open, which let in a burst of frigid air and a whirl of powdery snow. "Madame Eckart!" the speaker, one of Hess's minions thrust a rectangular piece of paper towards her. "We found this in Professor Hohenheim's coat pocket!"

Dietlinde frowned and squinted at the paper in the fading light. She pressed a hidden button and a ceiling light snapped on. A sneaky bastard, that Hohenheim, was her grim thought as she read the tickets, but not sneaky enough! She would soon have his son - and eventually his world - under her complete control.

A loud shout was heard from within the house, and the front door burst open again. In her mind's eye, Dietlinde envisioned a small blond figure struggling in the grip of Hess's men. But they were alone, with a grim-faced Hess in the lead. The rear car door opened again and Hess clambered in while his men piled into another car parked next to Eckart's.

"He's gone, Madame Eckart, the little bastard gave us the slip!" Dr. Stein frowned at the cursing, he was a devout Methodist and a strict teetoler who never swore, much less raised his voice. Fraulein Eckart seemed to support his views for she scowled at Hess who was still turning the air blue.

"Language, Hess! How did he escape?" Hess glared at her for daring to interrupt him, but he did stop swearing.

"We couldn't find him anywhere in the house, not even the the attic. Some of the men were looking behind the window curtains and Horst looked out on the backyard and saw footprints in the snow. Then Klaus opened a blanket chest and found a suitcase and coat, they were Professor Hohenheim's. My guess is Edward is headed for the train station, and we can intercept him if we hurry."

--------------------
IttyBittyPretty

My Ff.net author profile
my DA account!
My Flickr Photostream!

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2016 - 12:50 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css