HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Designer Child, If you could, would you design your perfect child?
beyondredemption
post Oct 4 2006, 01:00 PM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 35,001

What with scientific advances lately, people can choose thier child's sex, like with invitro, and stuff like that. Lately, they've been getting good at isolating genes that cause stuff like, I don't know, baldness and stuff(no real life examples off the top of my head). Anyway, it is not inconceivable that in the nearby future, parents can pick certain traits that they want their kids to have, like higher intelligance, perfect teeth, etc. And what does this do to evolution, natural selection.

The point is, if this technology was available when you went to have a kid, would you make use of it?

Oh, and just added this informative link.

--------------------

My Family! PM Me to Join!
My Crazy Older brother: Jato
Click here or you will be zapped into an alternate universe...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Oct 4 2006, 01:08 PM
Post #2

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

The point is, if this technology was available when you went to have a kid, would you make use of it?

I'd probably have any inherited Illnesses like Diabetes removed but other than that I'd let nature make it's own way. I don't see whats wrong with stopping downs syndrome from appearing in your child but I have issue with choosing eye color.
Changing something for health benifits is far better than changing something purely for cosmetic reasons.

And what does this do to evolution, natural selection.

It would allow Auto-evolution (to degrees). Basicly science could dictate which way humanity went. I doubt it could wholey off set natural selection but who knows?

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Nepharski
post Oct 4 2006, 05:00 PM
Post #3

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 23,257

I'd practice immunization against possible diseases or severe disabilities, but otherwise let the genetic code sort itself out.

--------------------
Attention Manga Lust fans:
Lust is dead. Finished. Kaput. Joined the Choir Invisible. Roy Mustang incinerated her repeatedly until her Philosopher's Stone dried up and dissolved into nothingness ("Mu" for you Japanese cultural enthusiasts). And she will remain killed off, written out of the plot. Greed was reincarnated because Father saved his Philosopher's Stone and had a guinea pig on hand. Lust is gone. Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.
In the event that Hiromu Arakawa can skillfully maneuver around this narrative plot hole, I will eat my words with a pinch of salt.
Nepharski - Our first, last, and hopeful not only line of defense against bad Homunculi theories.

My LiveJournal, because I'm a closet conformist

+Quote Post
Ailuro
post Oct 4 2006, 05:27 PM
Post #4

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 665

QUOTE(popogeejo @ Oct 4 2006, 01:08 PM) [snapback]454959[/snapback]

I doubt it could wholey off set natural selection but who knows?

Natural selection hardly relates to humans anymore as it is.

--------------------
- Ailuro "Deshi" Oz
- Moderator Emeritus -

+Quote Post
Nepharski
post Oct 4 2006, 05:33 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Ailuro @ Oct 4 2006, 05:27 PM) [snapback]455026[/snapback]

QUOTE(popogeejo @ Oct 4 2006, 01:08 PM) [snapback]454959[/snapback]

I doubt it could wholey off set natural selection but who knows?

Natural selection hardly relates to humans anymore as it is.

Let's hear it for humanitarians.

--------------------
Lust is dead. Finished. Kaput. Joined the Choir Invisible. Roy Mustang incinerated her repeatedly until her Philosopher's Stone dried up and dissolved into nothingness ("Mu" for you Japanese cultural enthusiasts). And she will remain killed off, written out of the plot. Greed was reincarnated because Father saved his Philosopher's Stone and had a guinea pig on hand. Lust is gone. Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.
In the event that Hiromu Arakawa can skillfully maneuver around this narrative plot hole, I will eat my words with a pinch of salt.
Nepharski - Our first, last, and hopeful not only line of defense against bad Homunculi theories.

+Quote Post
InsaneFangirl
post Oct 4 2006, 08:25 PM
Post #6

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 23,530

I'd chose gender, and try to make sure certain diseases are prevented, but that's it. If I chose everything, birth just isn't a miracle anymore, you know? Plus, I like suprises. XD;; I want to see my son grow up healthy, becoming a bit more like me, a bit more like his father every day.

--------------------

Edo-kun lover! ^_^;;

Fanfic!
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2628866/5/

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Oct 4 2006, 09:22 PM
Post #7

Master Alchemist

Screw it, I'd go for the whole "Pimp my Child" scene (boy, that sounds wrong).
Night Vision, super IQ, Strong phyique, tough bones, highly efficent matabolism, an extra heart, increased liver and kidney efficency, maybe sticky tips of fingers so he can climb buildings and the Fort Knox of immune systems. Make all the gense highly dominant and let me breed my Super soilders...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nepharski
post Oct 4 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(popogeejo @ Oct 4 2006, 09:22 PM) [snapback]455172[/snapback]

Screw it, I'd go for the whole "Pimp my Child" scene (boy, that sounds wrong).
Night Vision, super IQ, Strong phyique, tough bones, highly efficent matabolism, an extra heart, increased liver and kidney efficency, maybe sticky tips of fingers so he can climb buildings and the Fort Knox of immune systems. Make all the gense highly dominant and let me breed my Super soilders...

Thanks for the insight, Snake.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Oct 4 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #9

Master Alchemist

In all seriousness though, Dsigner babies aren't going to be a reality for a very long time.
We'll probably have to wait 'till 2010 before we are allowed to mapipulte the DNA and genes to stop inherited disease and probably another 5-6 years before the idea of improving IQ andf general health. It will probably be late 20's/early 30's before any legislation is proposed on actual Designer babies that allow parents to decide everything. Even then I highly doubt it will ever get to it's full "potential" and the science will only be used fo rmedical benifit.

The worst that could happen is that it's adapted for military use.
Children that mature faster, have more efficent bodies (Matabloism, muscular potentail, ability to deal with toxins to name but afew factors), higher IQ's and Brains easily suseptable to conditioning would make any 5 star General squeal in delight.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zarpia
post Oct 5 2006, 10:13 AM
Post #10

Rasta Maldita

Member No.: 4,384

I rated(sp?) buy a doll.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Quistis88
post Oct 5 2006, 11:01 AM
Post #11

Executive Officer (Spam Assassin)
Group Icon

Group: Moderating Admin
Member No.: 16

I remember that my high school biology teacher briefly touched on this concept of designer babies. I actually think that I would make use of it, but just for things like eliminated genetic illnesses and such, make sure it's not terribly ugly (not for the vanity of the child, but more due to the vanity of the rest of the world) and maybe IQ, because I really can't take any more stupidity in my life, not saying that my child would be stupid, but if that's preventable . . .

I also agree that if/when it does become reality, it would be used for military purposes, and would they really publicize the (potential) fact that they know how to do it? If it becomes reality, it has the potential to become a "secret weapon" of sorts. The card up the sleeve and all that jazz.

Although, I suppose my main point right now, is that even if it is to become available to the rest of us, how many people who would like to make use of it will actually be able to afford it?

--------------------
SINCERELY,
Quistis
(Forum Spam Assassin, Vice-Mother, and Queen of the Grammar Police)

This sentence says something else when you're not looking.

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Oct 5 2006, 05:10 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 3,228

I wonder if there would be a new group therapy craze for children of designer children. It'd be all about people who are frustrated that they were desinged incorrectly laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Oct 5 2006, 05:12 PM
Post #13

Gallery Mod Emeritus

From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

QUOTE(arche @ Oct 5 2006, 08:10 PM) [snapback]455430[/snapback]

I wonder if there would be a new group therapy craze for children of designer children. It'd be all about people who are frustrated that they were desinged incorrectly laugh.gif

If you buy the Intelligent Design line of logic, we all fall into that category.

--------------------

+Quote Post
beyondredemption
post Oct 5 2006, 06:34 PM
Post #14

Citizen

Member No.: 35,001

QUOTE(InsaneFangirl @ Oct 4 2006, 08:25 PM) [snapback]455129[/snapback]

I'd chose gender, and try to make sure certain diseases are prevented, but that's it. If I chose everything, birth just isn't a miracle anymore, you know? Plus, I like suprises. XD;; I want to see my son grow up healthy, becoming a bit more like me, a bit more like his father every day.

I tend to worry about people choosing gender, because that can lead to inbalance in the ratio of men to women, like people in India who abort thier child if they know that it is a girl instead of a boy.

Plus, if this was available to anyone(with enough money anyway), there would be trends where the richer people got more intellegent, stronger, prettier children, and unaltered people could be made to look down on themselves. And of course, it could be used for military purposes. Although it's not like you could get superhuman abilities or anything. I think theres only so much you can make human DNA do (although, I suppose it is theoretically possibe to splice animal genes onto a humans, but so many things can go wrong with that that I think that is highly unlikely).

--------------------

My Family! PM Me to Join!
My Crazy Older brother: Jato
Click here or you will be zapped into an alternate universe...

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Oct 5 2006, 06:41 PM
Post #15

Master Alchemist

I tend to worry about people choosing gender, because that can lead to inbalance in the ratio of men to women, like people in India who abort thier child if they know that it is a girl instead of a boy.

Isn't that because:
1) There are far more femals in India (and China) than male sso there is already an imbalance.
2) The Y chromosone is getting weaker and crappy.

Letting gender be chosen could prevent alot of fetus being aborted.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2016 - 05:10 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css