HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  « < 9 10 11  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
You Are A Racist..., do you agree?
Racism
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 81
Guests cannot vote 
AndroidLust
post Apr 16 2009, 11:29 PM
Post #151

State Alchemist (Major)

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,086

And I`m on pseudoephedrine for allergies, medication shouldn`t be an excuse.
QUOTE (Innocent-malice @ Apr 17 2009, 12:22 AM) *
I grew up from when I was just born around a bunch of different personalities and races. I think its because Ive never been in a "comfort zone" and an environment that only offered one kind of lifestyle.

All of those factors shape your (again) COGNITION.
AFFECT is seperate to cognitive processing of a stimuli.

I think I`m gonna stop here, because I`m just repeating myself at this point and I think you`re just misunderstanding everything I say.

--------------------

Darling you can bet to see my ghost up on the wall, watching you eat. Yeah, its true, I dream about you too, grinding my mouth, losing my teeth. You are exactly what a night-mare`s for. I'll night marry you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Innocent-malice
post Apr 16 2009, 11:32 PM
Post #152

Apprentice

Member No.: 48,225

Your saying that people automatically seek what is the same as them. They feel uncomfortable when they are put in a situation that's not what they are used to, or that may people may not share their views and have different personalities, right? How can a persons skin automatically interfere with someones opinion from the time they where born?

yet, down to biological standings, don't we find "mates" on who has a different scent than us? and personality wise don't we seek someone who complements us by having different traits?

If I misunderstand then explain it better and put it in simpler terms...

--------------------
Gone. if you should want to contact me Ill be at My deviantart

+Quote Post
AndroidLust
post Apr 16 2009, 11:58 PM
Post #153

State Alchemist (Major)

QUOTE (Innocent-malice @ Apr 16 2009, 11:32 PM) *
yet, down to biological standings, don't we find "mates" on who has a different scent than us? and personality wise don't we seek someone who complements us by having different traits?

Not. At. All.
The whole idea of "opposites attract" is a fallacy.

So, back to topic.
A person`s attitude towards a stimuli is made up of three components: affect, cognition, and behavior. Affect is our basic emotional reaction to the stimuli. Cognition is how we mentally process the stimuli. Behavior is how we physically react to the stimuli.

In this case, the stimuli is a person of a different race.
Affect: When something or someone threatens external homeostasis, the natural reaction is to feel cognitive dissonance. Of course, it is possible that one`s beliefs can overcome the initial affect before cognitive processing. However, the initial affect still existed at some point.
Cognition: This is where one uses their logic to process a stimuli. This includes syaing to yourself "I know race has nothing to do with one`s character, so there is no reason to judge them based upon it."
Behavior: The physical reaction to the stimuli.

I believe that you are so comfortable with those of other races that you overcome the initial affect even before cognitively processing it. However, I refuse to believe that you`ve never felt it, even subconciously. This doesn`t make you, or anyone, a bad person. My argument is that primary affect at some point exists in everyone, if even for a split second. It may not even be concious, but it happens.

--------------------

Darling you can bet to see my ghost up on the wall, watching you eat. Yeah, its true, I dream about you too, grinding my mouth, losing my teeth. You are exactly what a night-mare`s for. I'll night marry you.

+Quote Post
mei_tenshi
post Apr 17 2009, 12:18 AM
Post #154

Major General

Member No.: 3,343

QUOTE (AndroidLust @ Apr 16 2009, 11:58 PM) *
I believe that you are so comfortable with those of other races that you overcome the initial affect even before cognitively processing it. However, I refuse to believe that you`ve never felt it, even subconciously. This doesn`t make you, or anyone, a bad person. My argument is that primary affect at some point exists in everyone, if even for a split second. It may not even be concious, but it happens.
I'm reluctant to put words in others' mouths, but maybe the primary affect that Innocent-malice experiences when she sees someone has nothing to do with skin color? Sure, racial stereotypes are everywhere and everyone knows some, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they affect [-the verb] how she perceives another person--even subconsciously. It's rather hard for me to figure out what people are thinking subconsciously, so I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Great job explaining the terms, by the way. (And I'm with you on the 'opposites attract' misconception.)

--------------------

CoF #11

+Quote Post
AndroidLust
post Apr 17 2009, 12:29 AM
Post #155

State Alchemist (Major)

^Thank you. I`m always afraid I ramble without making sense. laugh.gif
QUOTE (mei_tenshi @ Apr 17 2009, 12:18 AM) *
I'm reluctant to put words in others' mouths, but maybe the primary affect that Innocent-malice experiences when she sees someone has nothing to do with skin color?

That could be true. I was assuming it on what textbooks says, but that doesn`t mean I can make conclusions on someone based on generalizations.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Innocent-malice
post Apr 17 2009, 02:07 PM
Post #156

Apprentice

Member No.: 48,225

Thats what I did mean, thanks Mei_tenshi, I do make generizations based on how people speak mostly, not accents but overall how the person responds to others. I will admit I am guilty of doing it based on a persons background country in some cases, but not on skin color. Also, I am of extremely mixed blood and have almost a quarter native american in me, which they tend to have a different pigmentation so could that possibly have an effect on it?

One thing that also makes me think that it is not natural behavoir is my grandmother was born and raised in a small village in Scotland and had never seen anyone without fair skin before coming to american. Therefore she was never taught that it is silly for one to judge based on skin. Yet, when she was here she never saw them as any different at all.

As far as the science goes, I do think some things just cant really be explained with this. I think it really depends on family history and how that person was raised. I do think we are shaped by whats around us.

--------------------
Gone. if you should want to contact me Ill be at My deviantart

+Quote Post
Nzm
post Jul 16 2009, 04:46 AM
Post #157

Citizen

Member No.: 70,107

I do not hate anyone because of nationality or skin colour, nor do I think that immigrants should have some special rights. I believe in equality. However, if someone doesn't like Jews, Blacks, Asian, Europeans or whatever, it's his life and his freedom. As long as someone doesn't use violence, no-one can force him to change. If I didn't want to talk, for example, to people who wear glasses, no-one could force me to.

+Quote Post
fmadiva
post Nov 13 2009, 09:49 PM
Post #158

Citizen

Member No.: 47,009

I don't like extreme racism but I can be prejudice against other races alot.(prejudice comes from ignorance, not knowing the truths about other's cultures) I can be ignorant at times but I will never hate someone for just being born a certain way(Lord knows my ancestors went through it too much dry.gif )

--------------------
RoyxEd<3

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Nov 15 2009, 12:10 AM
Post #159

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

LOL, this is kind of a blunt question, I wonder if anyone's just flat-out said, "yes." biggrin.gif

Am I racist? Hmm... no. No, not really. I mean I joke with my friends of other races sometimes, but always in a way that we're both joking and I'm not just mocking them. I'll be honest and say that I will sometimes in the back of my mind wonder why some people of certain races won't break free from stereotypes, but that's just in the part of the head where you're most violent and disturbing thoughts pass through before you can control them. And if what I consider violent and disturbing is just that, then I would say that I don't think severely bad enough about them to be labeled, "racist".

But then again where IS the line?

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 9 10 11
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2016 - 09:29 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css