HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Gallery Mod Station:, please report Gallery activity that may need Mod's attention here
Rating 3 V
Popogeejo
post Aug 5 2006, 12:24 PM
Post #16

Master Alchemist

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,420

You mean diffrent peoples galleries in the member section?
Simply click on Members gallery and you get a list of them, oldest first.
If thats not you mean then what do you mean? *Is dense*

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ailuro
post Aug 5 2006, 12:43 PM
Post #17

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 665

Meh, that would take forever to find a specific person. Is there a way to search for a certain member in the gallery?

--------------------
- Ailuro "Deshi" Oz
- Moderator Emeritus -

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Aug 5 2006, 12:52 PM
Post #18

Master Alchemist

At best you can have the gallery listed by member name.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Colette
post Aug 5 2006, 05:39 PM
Post #19

Brigadier General

Member No.: 27,366

All right:
Wtf part one
Part two

--------------------

+Quote Post
Envy's lil...
post Aug 5 2006, 06:01 PM
Post #20

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 7,890

QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Aug 4 2006, 10:57 PM) [snapback]429155[/snapback]

I am teh offended by the title of this thread. mad.gif

Seriously? ohmy.gif
We've always been the Gallery Gestapo and nobodys batted an eyelash.
QUOTE(Tombow @ Aug 5 2006, 01:43 AM) [snapback]429192[/snapback]

^^ Maybe call it Gallery Police?? (Or, is it too lame?? tongue.gif )

I thought about that but I figured it would become confused with the Grammer Police and report stuff in the wrong place.
QUOTE(asunder @ Aug 5 2006, 03:29 AM) [snapback]429210[/snapback]

Anything that gets posted in here is potential material for popo, myself and anyone else to flame.

Be afraid

Go for it!
It can't get much worse that it already is.
QUOTE(Aliuro)

Meh, that would take forever to find a specific person. Is there a way to search for a certain member in the gallery?

No unfortunately there isn't so it's difficult to track down the trouble makers. One big reason I made this place. I've talked to Bryantq about it but it doesn't sound like something he could set up.
QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ Aug 5 2006, 05:39 PM) [snapback]429397[/snapback]

dry.gif
The authorities have been notified.

Thanks for the reports everyone it's really helpful.

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Aug 5 2006, 07:32 PM
Post #21

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 3,284

I think we need some policy reconsiderations on posting fanart of others', particularly of big-name-fans and Japanese artists. I know a few big name fans personally who have to restrict the amount of sharing they do of their pictures because they don't like it being reproduced and spread all over the interweb on everyone and their mothers' myspace. A few such artists have had their pictures posted with a really simple "Didn't make it. Found it on a site."

Imo, that doesn't cut it for credit. The very least that could be done would be to give a name and a link, but even then it's pushing it. Some Japanese sites have restricted acess now just because of so many (mostly western) fans stealing their art, or just posting it in places without permission. One such site had to translate their plea into english, and seemed rather annoyed about it- "Just because you don't understand the language, that does not give you the right to put these images on other websites."

I'm not sure about the legal technicalities involved; it seems rather messy, especially since we have a very large established gallery, particularly of fanart and 'Japanese Fanart' (Which, Loltastically, is often not Japanese at all- some of the art posted there is by American, Chinese, Polish, Indonesian and korean artists.) and it would be difficult to sift through and demand site links or even track down the original posters of the image. It would be hard enough just to go through and look at every image.

So I'm not sure what to make of that mess there. At the very least, I think we should demand some linkage, and if it seems uncertain, we have a name and location to fall back on to seek out artist's permission.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Envy's lil...
post Aug 5 2006, 08:02 PM
Post #22

Gallery Mod Emeritus

It's really gotten out of hand in the gallery.

The japanese fanart section was orginally for doujinshi scans and the BBI game screenshots but since we no longer have anyway to post rules or guidelines it's a free for all. You're right, there's no way to know where the pic came from but I'm not going to have a Korean, Chinese, etc section for them. Yes, I know BBI is from China but at the time we didn't have enough screen shots of it or doujinshi scans to warrent their own gallery.

If I had more control over the gallery then it would be much better indeed but what the mods have to work with is limited and I seem to be, for the most part, the only one over there and I don't have the time right now and won't for a while.

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Aug 5 2006, 08:05 PM
Post #23

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 3,284

Isn't there some way to put a little sticky note/ reminder up there? :/

The way it's going it seems 'japanese' fanart is being defined synonomously with 'good' or 'famous' fanart. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Envy's lil...
post Aug 5 2006, 08:54 PM
Post #24

Gallery Mod Emeritus

No. We can't make new threads there or edit the existing titles of the gallery and it's sections.

And yes, that's exactly what happened to the JF section. I try to look for sigs but that's not always a sure sig, some Japanese artists have english sigs (ie not in kanji).

+Quote Post
Edamame
post Aug 6 2006, 09:35 AM
Post #25

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 38,530

I am glad that you brought up the issue regarding the restriction on the use of Japanese fanart Toby-chan. I wanted to bring it up after seeing a great deal of fan-protected work featured in the Japanese fanart section, but I had a feeling that an older forum member would have already discussed the problem with a moderator. Unfortunately, some of these artworks are being taken from sites that clearly state (in English) that the reproduction of fanart on other websites without seeking the permission of the artist can be regarded as stealing. I have been noticing this reminder on many FMA fanart sites and I don't know if there is any way that more people can be made aware of it: Online Fanarts Protection I wish I knew an easy way to prevent this problem, but as you have made clear there are fanarts from other countries as well. I agree with the linkage idea and have seen it in use on other forums that have a gallery section. I hope that you guys can find a way to handle this because it is a shame to see artists having to lock their sites because people could not read the rules.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Colette
post Aug 6 2006, 12:37 PM
Post #26

Brigadier General

Member No.: 27,366

This guy's sig is too big
How dare Winry be friends with Ed!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Envy's lil...
post Aug 6 2006, 08:16 PM
Post #27

Gallery Mod Emeritus

QUOTE(Edamame @ Aug 6 2006, 09:35 AM) [snapback]429598[/snapback]

I am glad that you brought up the issue regarding the restriction on the use of Japanese fanart Toby-chan. I wanted to bring it up after seeing a great deal of fan-protected work featured in the Japanese fanart section, but I had a feeling that an older forum member would have already discussed the problem with a moderator. Unfortunately, some of these artworks are being taken from sites that clearly state (in English) that the reproduction of fanart on other websites without seeking the permission of the artist can be regarded as stealing. I have been noticing this reminder on many FMA fanart sites and I don't know if there is any way that more people can be made aware of it: Online Fanarts Protection I wish I knew an easy way to prevent this problem, but as you have made clear there are fanarts from other countries as well. I agree with the linkage idea and have seen it in use on other forums that have a gallery section. I hope that you guys can find a way to handle this because it is a shame to see artists having to lock their sites because people could not read the rules.

One thing you can do to help is if you see any pics here in the gallery that you have seen on an artist site, that states that their artwork is not to be posted on another site, please let us know. I've caught it a few times.

I too agree with the linking, provided it is alright for us to have the picture here in the first place. The number one thing people need to do is check artists FAQs to make sure it's ok to share. If it's in another language then use Bablefish or another online translator.

However, this brings up the question of how to inform everyone about this rule.

Great suggestions everyone thank you all for your imput. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Edamame
post Aug 7 2006, 09:48 AM
Post #28

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 38,530

However, this brings up the question of how to inform everyone about this rule.

I am not sure if this is even possible, but I was wondering if there could possibly be a "sticky thread" for the gallery that lists all of these rules. On some other forums, when posting a picture in the gallery an entire form will come up asking for the name of the artist, proper linkage, and other copy-right material; every single image needs to have linakge in order to be posted in the gallery. I really want to protect the fan-artists rights, but as Toby mentioned, it would be a pain to sift through every single picture.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Aug 7 2006, 10:17 AM
Post #29

Master Alchemist

I am not sure if this is even possible, but I was wondering if there could possibly be a "sticky thread" for the gallery that lists all of these rules.

QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt)
No. We can't make new threads there or edit the existing titles of the gallery and it's sections.

So thats ruled out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
asunder
post Aug 7 2006, 10:43 AM
Post #30

Special Ops (Intelligence Officer)
Group Icon

Group: Moderating Admin
Member No.: 30,877

if you make up a list of these rules/guidelines, I'll ask paladin to insert it :x (somehow)

--------------------
Everytime you post something mind numbingly retarded, this forum crashes.

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2016 - 12:55 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css