HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Arakawa Is A Mother. Wow!! Arakawa-cow's maternity hospitalization announcement on first post, NewsFlash! She is gettng ready for another one! ^^
he03
post Jan 31 2010, 01:51 AM
Post #31

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 72,598

Congrats to her. She sounds like an awesome person; I agree with everyone who reckons she'll be a wonderful mother.

To be truthful, I'm envious of her son. Can you imagine having a mum who not only actively encourages you to read manga/comics but to draw it as well? laugh.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kaori Ayanami
post Jan 31 2010, 03:14 AM
Post #32

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,575

QUOTE (whippersnapper @ Jan 31 2010, 08:28 AM) *
My first reaction: she's married?! ohmy.gif
And people were lamenting that she's single like Rumiko Takahashi, when in fact her son was already born XD
Where has that "married" thing come from? She could be single, for all we know.

But that would explain a couple of things. Honestly, I like the most those chapters before the "promised day" thing, specially the ones before Briggs. (And it isn't because I read the latter ones on a monthly basis from then on... In fact, I started reading the manga when chapter 94 came up laugh.gif ) From then on, it's been mostly tying loose ends and happy-ending epicness (of which I do like the "epic" part, but not so much the "happy-ending" part). Maybe the fact that she became a mother has something to do with that.

It may sound like a rant. It isn't: I still love the way she figures out everything, her drawing and... well... the FMA spirit of it all XD. It's just that I don't feel it is as cool as before. Maybe the ending will prove me wrong, like in an "epic-failing" way. ^^U

Anyway, I want that interview! Translated or raw, I don't care! Pleeease! sad.gif

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Jan 31 2010, 05:50 AM
Post #33

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

QUOTE (Kaori Ayanami @ Jan 31 2010, 04:14 AM) *

Exactly, why does everybody assume that you're married just because you have kids?

@A Pierrots Aria: Yes, of course you still need to work when you're a mother, and leaving your children with a babysitter or at a daycare is the normal thing to do. But, at least here where I live, you usually take about a year off from work to properly be able to take care of your newborn child after pregnancy.

But since drawing manga is something you can do from home (and which Arakawa does, I assume), I guess that makes it more okay. Maybe she's been sitting up late at nights desperately trying to finish her chapters in time XD

Also, being a manga artist isn't exactly a normal "job", so she probably won't get any compensation from taking maternity leave. (Unless the state funds it? I don't know how this works in Japan....)

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Jan 31 2010, 06:03 AM
Post #34

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

^ I don't know how it works in Japan, either. xD But in the UK we do get maternity leave, too. Perhaps she had already made preparations since she knew that she would be giving birth? Kind of like what Eichiiro Oda does; he says he does a few chapters in advance just in case. xD Or like people have suggested, it may be why sometimes there isn't as much pages as usual. Maybe even her assistants help her out more so she can spend more time with her child? Who knows? xD But being a mangaka must be so difficult and time consuming, especially when taking care of a child.

I didn't mean to make a big deal out of it or anything, I just thought it was kind of harsh to assume that she'll be shoving her child aside to tend to her work. xD; Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Jan 31 2010, 06:13 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 55,758

No worries ^^ I didn't really assume anything, maybe I formulated my post in a way that made it seem like I did.

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
whippersnapper
post Jan 31 2010, 07:20 AM
Post #36

Citizen

Member No.: 71,561

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Jan 31 2010, 08:50 PM) *

Exactly, why does everybody assume that you're married just because you have kids?

Er, because it's Japan? I wouldn't assume this if it were anywhere else, but my impression is Japanese people are pretty traditional, they'll probably marry before having kids. Or get married after getting pregnant. I think single mothers are rare. Could be my impression is wrong though, kindly correct me if that is so. happy.gif

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Jan 31 2010, 08:50 PM) *
But, at least here where I live, you usually take about a year off from work to properly be able to take care of your newborn child after pregnancy.

That is sooo nice, we get 2 months maternity leave here in Malaysia huh.gif And the child usually gets taken care of by grandparents /a sitter/ a maid, unless the mother actually resigns from her job to be a full-time-mother.

And well, this being Arakawa-sensei, I'm sure she'll be around for her son. After all, she is the author of the story where a pair of brothers commit a sin because they missed their mother and their father was physically and emotionally unavailable tongue.gif

--------------------

Avatar and sig not by me, they're screenshots of this video.

+Quote Post
AA battery
post Jan 31 2010, 02:03 PM
Post #37

Brigadier General

Member No.: 7,450

I agree on the "because it is Japan?" point. Unless you really fail at having a proper life, you'd really marry before having a child. Single mothers are indeed *rare*; even high school girls giving birth is quite rare (usually they'd go for abortion - NOT that I support that.) So yeah, keep in mind the cultural difference guys! I think it's more likely for her to be married than not.

And about how "no one knew she has a kid" part, the media in Japan are pretty respectful to the need for privacy. Crayon Shin-chan's mangaka died and no one in the Japanese media posted his photo up (upon the mangaka's own wish to never show his photo to the public)... even now no one has a photo of him up on the internet. That's why back then the Chinese media *failed* and used someone else's photo for the new article of his death, until someone confirmed that it's a photo of someone else lol.

--------------------
*June 11, 2013 - New Doujinshis Added*
Hi, I got a bunch of FMA merchandises (keychains, pencil boards, cards, figurines, book in figure red...etc) for sale at my LJ. Please visit my sale post here if interested! Thanks ^_^

+Quote Post
Kaori Ayanami
post Jan 31 2010, 06:37 PM
Post #38

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,575

Not assuming she is married doesn't mean assuming she is single. I just wanted to stress the "we don't know" point. And the need of the full source if available. tongue.gif

I know Japan is quite traditional, etc.; but there is always people doing things in a non-customary way. Besides, she is a female mangaka doing shounen... It's not like she is standard anyway. XD

But I prefer the idea of her having a husband. It's better for her and the kid that way, I think.

@he03: I love your avatar. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
hand-made-city
post Feb 4 2010, 09:06 PM
Post #39

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 67,054

Well, despite Japan seeming traditional in the marriage sense, my tour guide during my trip there said that the divorce rate is high in Japan, and a lot of couples get divorced not long after the honeymoon. ^^;

--------------------

+Quote Post
MsLinn
post Feb 5 2010, 12:06 PM
Post #40

Apprentice

Member No.: 72,213

yey, I too love her more now! Not only that she is amazing, not being late with one chapter! But I find the thought of her having a child just too cute! I don't know why!

--------------------

Long live the love we shared. In our Fullmetal hearts.

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Feb 5 2010, 04:10 PM
Post #41

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Jan 28 2010, 02:59 AM) *
QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Jan 27 2010, 07:27 PM) *
So, I just assumed she was single. huh.gif

What's to say she isn't? We don't know if it's mentioned in the article or not.

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Jan 31 2010, 07:50 AM) *

I know that you can raise kids without a husband, I was raised by a single mother myself. It's just that we're all very curious about Arakawa's life now that this is mentioned, and perhaps our curiosity is making us jump to conclusions about the other members of her family, that's all. smile.gif

Really, she doesn't talk much about herself, which could be a quality to be admired, I suppose.

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
AA battery
post Feb 8 2010, 08:20 PM
Post #42

Brigadier General

Member No.: 7,450

QUOTE (Kaori Ayanami @ Jan 31 2010, 05:37 PM) *
Besides, she is a female mangaka doing shounen... It's not like she is standard anyway. XD

How about Takahashi Rumiko? =P
She is one of the richest individual in Japan for drawing Shounen.

Though I don't think the discussion about whether she is single or married should continue... to be respectful to Arakawa as it is not something she chooses to tell the public. ^^ Maybe she'll tell everyone after FMA is done?

--------------------
*June 11, 2013 - New Doujinshis Added*
Hi, I got a bunch of FMA merchandises (keychains, pencil boards, cards, figurines, book in figure red...etc) for sale at my LJ. Please visit my sale post here if interested! Thanks ^_^

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Feb 8 2010, 09:51 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 3,267

QUOTE (AA battery @ Jan 31 2010, 02:03 PM) *
And about how "no one knew she has a kid" part, the media in Japan are pretty respectful to the need for privacy. Crayon Shin-chan's mangaka died and no one in the Japanese media posted his photo up (upon the mangaka's own wish to never show his photo to the public)... even now no one has a photo of him up on the internet. That's why back then the Chinese media *failed* and used someone else's photo for the new article of his death, until someone confirmed that it's a photo of someone else lol.

Well actually it really depends on the manga-ka. A pretty big deal was made when Oda's (One Piece)
wife had a baby. There also was a lot of news when Ninomiya (Nodame Cantabile) had a baby.

Arakawa did always come off as sort of private. Well I think it's really awesome that our favorite manga-ka is a mom. smile.gif

+Quote Post
shanryelric
post Feb 9 2010, 10:29 AM
Post #44

Alchemists

Member No.: 71,970

WHOA. that is SO COOL. jealous of her son, can't u imagine how many FMA things u'll get FREE OF CHARGE. since u R her child anyway!!

--------------------
Goodbye, Fullmetal Alchemist. Thanks for the memories.

-the manga, characters, story lines, the ending, the Brotherhood series, the first anime and the movie and all things related to it, are the only things that I will always love like how I love my own life.-

+Quote Post
rzerox21xx
post Feb 9 2010, 03:00 PM
Post #45

Alchemists

Member No.: 69,867

I hoping that her motherhood will reflect on her character especially Riza and Winry if she does a time skip into the future. Maybe by some miracle, Izumi will get her insides back while Ed gets his lims and al his body and Roy his sight. Izumi will have a second chance to be a mom.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2016 - 03:19 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css