HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 4: An Alchemist's Anguish - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! Possible Spoilers for the first 4 episodes!
Rating 5 V
Tombow
post Apr 25 2009, 03:42 PM
Post #1

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 8.

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 4 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 4 episodes.

* Where to watch this episode
NOTE: We are getting reports that so far TvAnts has failed to stream this episode. Streaming on KeyHole TV went as scheduled.

* HD Screencaps, courtesy of AA Battery.

* Transcription of the official English sub of this episode on Funimation.com, courtesy of Kale Mustang.

* Episode Preview from FMA-2 official JP site:
(The episode title is from official sub, the preview part is translation by Tombow)
Episode 4: "An Alchemist's Anguish"
Ed and Al are introduced to "Sewing-Life Alchemist" Shou Tucker by Roy. Two years ago, Tucker has created a chimera that could talk human language, and since then he has been known as the authority in that field of Alchemy. While continuing their research at Tucker's home, Ed and Al meet Tucker's daughter, Nina. Meanwhile, Tucker's annual assessment for his State Alchemist status is drawing near, and Tucker is in distress (to produce some measurable results for his research as the Life-Sawing Alchemist for the annual assessment)....

NOTE: For the NEXT episode (episode 5) there will be a temporary change of air-time. Episode 5 will air Sunday, May 3 2009, 5:30 PM ~ 6:00 PM in Japan.

=======================================

Episode Summary: (courtesy of Edamame)
A mysterious man with a scar on his face combs the streets of Central City at the dead of night and meets face-to-face with the “Iron Blood Alchemist”, Basque Gran. The stranger tells Basque Gran that all alchemists who have gone against God shall perish. From the stranger’s words, Basque Gran recognizes his opponent as non-other than the killer who annihilates all alchemists. The alchemist enters into battle against his new opponent, and is soon murdered. The members of the military soon uncover the body of the Basque Gran; they learn that the murder of alchemists at the hands of this unknown man has not been an isolated incident. Much latter, at the main Headquarters in Central City, Mustang’s loyal subordinates discuss an incident surrounding Lieutenant Yoki. Yoki had been entrusted with the authority to overlook the mines of Youswell, but only ended up abusing his power in order to line his pockets with money from innocent townspeople. In the meantime, the Elric brothers revisit the events of Lior, and Ed speaks of his interest to learn more about the field of biological alchemy with hopes of finding something that would allow for him and his brother to get their bodies back. Mustang recommends that the boys seek out the help of the “Sewing Life Alchemist”, Shou Tucker, who is renowned for his work in biological alchemy and for transmuting the only chimera that could understand human languages. The brothers arrive at the home of Shou Tucker only to discover that he has run in on hard times ever since his wife left him two years ago. After learning of the brothers´ reason to research biological alchemy, Shou grants them access to his private library and shows them his laboratory. While performing research, Ed and Al meet Shou´s daughter Nina who takes an instant liking to them. After much hard research, Havoc comes to pick the boys up and hands Shou a letter from Colonel Mustang reminding him about the upcoming assessment. Shou tells Nina that if he can’t obtain a good assessment this year he will no longer be a state alchemist- this is his last chance. When the brothers return to Shou´s home to continue research several days latter, they are shocked to see that he has transmuted a chimera that can speak. However, Ed realizes that something is terribly wrong when the chimera addresses him as “big brother” and Nina is nowhere in sight. Ed comes to the horrific conclusion that Shou´s wife did not leave him two years ago- she was transmuted into his first chimera, and the new chimera before him is none other than Nina and her dog Alexander. Al stops Ed before he can kill Shou, and the brothers leave, devastated over their powerlessness and inability to help Nina. Back in the comfort of his home, Shou and his chimera daughter are paid a visit by the man with a scar on his face. The man kills both father and daughter and removes his glasses to feel the falling rain. He has the red eyes of the Ishablan people…

Characters in this episode: (excluding review and preview scenes)
East City:
Edward Elric
Alphonse Elric
Shou Tucker (Life-Sewing Alchemist) : Dies in this episode
Nina Tucker: Dies in this episode
Alexander (dog): Dies in this epiosode
Roy Mustang
Jean Havoc
Riza hawkeye (brief appearance)
Heymans Breda (brief appearance)
Kane Fuery (brief appearance)
Vato Falman (brief appearance)
Hohenheim (appears nanosecond, in flashback scene)

Central:
Scar (appears in East City also)
Bask Gran (Iron-Blood Alchemist) : Dies in this episode
King Bradley
Maes Hughes
Alex Armstrong
Maria Ross (brief appearance)
Denny Brosh (no speaking part, appears nanosecond, in the scene where Bradley shows up during the investigation of Basque Gran's death: info courtesy of Sword Alchemist)
Lieutenant Yoki (briefly mentioned, no real-life appearance)

Central
East City

Sound Track info for this episode that's known to us so far: (To be filled)
If anyone get any info on the scores used in this episode please post on this thread!!! ^^

FMA manga reference: To the readers of FMA manga (To be filled)
Chapter 5

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Apr 26 2009, 01:18 AM
Post #2

State Alchemist (Major)

Group: Members
Member No.: 35,674

Does someone know what's going on? There is still nothing, neither on TBS, TBS-TV or MBS. Did they cancel it for important news? Because the thing going on on TBS seems pretty serious!

+Quote Post
Alzea
post Apr 26 2009, 01:30 AM
Post #3

Alchemists

Member No.: 54,118

Well, when I was watching it by TVAnts there was news but on KeyHoleTV it was ok. I watched FMA just like every week

--------------------

+Quote Post
ShadowCat17
post Apr 26 2009, 01:31 AM
Post #4

Citizen

Member No.: 44,714

I think it is supposed to air 3.5 hours from now

+Quote Post
amestris_star
post Apr 26 2009, 01:32 AM
Post #5

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 67,594

Watched it on streaming.

Best. Episode. Till. Now.

I cried... it's how all the series needs to be. This way.

--------------------

"I'm sorry... thank you..."
Credit for signature art goes to: http://www.geocities.jp/yn_cq/ for the amazing Royai artwork! And to Michiyo for the avatar coloring!

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Apr 26 2009, 01:33 AM
Post #6

State Alchemist (Major)

Shout! TVAnts must have had a breakdown or something, every channel was looping again and again on the same thing!

+Quote Post
Alzea
post Apr 26 2009, 01:35 AM
Post #7

Alchemists

I thinks this episode's pacing was good, not too fast and all. As amestris_star said it's the best episode so far...Since KeyHoleTv doesn't really like me so today sound was faster than pictures so I can't really say that much. But hey! There was Yoki or should I say his file. Does it mean that no Youswell in FMA:B? I just remembered how much I hate Tucker. Ha! Finally I felt like crying!...Could it be, that we will have useless comment next week? Okay, waiting for subs and better quality...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Haineko
post Apr 26 2009, 01:35 AM
Post #8

Citizen

Member No.: 68,002

QUOTE (Sannom @ Apr 26 2009, 01:18 AM) *
Does someone know what's going on? There is still nothing, neither on TBS, TBS-TV or MBS. Did they cancel it for important news? Because the thing going on on TBS seems pretty serious!

That's what happened in my feed too, until I switched to an mms link. The episode played normally for me there, so I'm not sure what's going on.

As for the actual episode, umm...

I hate how adorable Nina and Alexander were. I was going oh^$# the whole time I was watching them because I couldn't help but get attached, and then that scene when Ed and Al walked in... gahhhhh.

I'll have some more detailed comments later, but suffice to say, this was definitely the best episode so far.

*goes into a corner and cries *

+Quote Post
amestris_star
post Apr 26 2009, 01:39 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Alzea @ Apr 26 2009, 10:35 AM) *
I thinks this episode's pacing was good, not too fast and all. A amestris_star said the best episode so far...Since KeyHoleTv doesn't really like me so today sound was faster than pictures so I can't really say that much. But hey! There was Yoki or should I say his file. Does it mean that no Youswell in FMA:B? I just remembered how much I hate Tucker. Ha! Finally I felt like crying!...Could it be, that we will have useless comment next week? Okay, waiting for subs and better quality...

They're referring to Youswell but not making an ep out of it, just like I had thought. They NEED to make reference to Yoki because of later on, with Mei arriving.
Yes, I cried too wink.gif

--------------------

Credit for signature art goes to: http://www.geocities.jp/yn_cq/ for the amazing Royai artwork! And to Michiyo for the avatar coloring!

+Quote Post
Trakonda
post Apr 26 2009, 01:42 AM
Post #10

Apprentice

Member No.: 52,583

Wow. This is the first time I REALLY felt like crying about Nina's and Alexandra's fate. I don't know if I was just feeling sensitive today, but I really did. It seemed like everything was just as it should be on this one! Keyhole TV was a bugger with me too, but luckily I managed to catch most of the Chimera-nina scene.

I never felt like crying when I saw this on the first FMA anime. I don't know why, but.. something was missing, back then. But THIS.. this really brought tears to my eyes. Characters actually show emotions, even the end with Nina crying next to Tucker's body was beautiful.

Ed and Al sitting in the rain - Wow. :3

And again, great humour scenes, and they were placed really well.

+Quote Post
Alzea
post Apr 26 2009, 01:49 AM
Post #11

Alchemists

So true, Alexander FTW, I loved scenes with him and Ed^^
Yes, there was something in it. While watching first anime I wasn't crying at Nina and Alexander, now I did, so it's good^^
If so many ppl felt like this that means FMA:B is getting better and soon we can honestly say "It's made of awesomeness"

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elemental/Alchem...
post Apr 26 2009, 01:50 AM
Post #12

Apprentice

Member No.: 28,136

Wow, first and foremost, as a veteran fan of FMA and this site it is truly a pleasure to return to this website and see Tombow (!!!!!) as a moderator (congrats!! for those who don't know, I used to post on the royai forum for a while, then after the series ended, well, it's been a while (but i still read the manga - and as such here we are today with a new, proper series happy.gif!!))

I used to find it weird that Bones would just let pass the opportunity to do justice to a great piece of work by, well, leaving it in dust as a misconstrued and remodeled work that didn't represent the original intent and depth of the work - now I'm finally shown what every fan of this piece of art has requested, a proper realization on the big screen (Oh, and lets not forget, More Maes/Roy fun, as well as Royai to boot)

I am especially pleased to see the gate included in the opening sequences... The gate in all its intended glory by Ms. Arakawa, who designed it not with an eye (like the first anime showed) but with the sephirot, the Jewish Kabbalistic Symbols of Heavenly attributes of G-d (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sephirah).
The fact that they even showed this convinces me that they are going to do a good job making sure the anime pays tribute to the manga - b/c everything Ms. Arakawa included in her work is there for a reason

the example here: Alchemy was greatly influenced in europe by Jewish Mysticism and Kabballah (see information that Nicholas Flamel was given a book by a wandering Jew named "Abraham") - and the 6 pointed star of David is seen throughout the work.
Heck the lion/dragon like symbol of the Amestris Flag is similar to the city of Jerusalem's Lion, a city symbol

I am fully confident that Bones will do a wonderful job this time around (is it Bones this time too actually?)
Here's to hoping they include it all, b/c in artwork, every paint-stroke, every line is important and has meaning behind it, even when you don't notice it, and that's why I love this series...

Now as for the Episode we are up too - what I said applies here too... They did an excellent job with the Nina and Alexander storyline. In the original anime, i feel they adapted the story and attempted to rework the emotional aspects to fuel the possible turn about that would occur for Ed's future in the post episode 25 world (as is shown by Tuckers return as a Chimera near the end of the series). Here though, it's obvious intent is to follow the manga storyline, and keep to the heart of the issue that Ed faces as he struggles to find his place in the world he's been thrust into (that's what I think the Nina storyline is meant for - to introduce Ed to chaos, to have Ed and Al "grow up" and realize the world is a scary place - Ed and Al in the rain indicated this as well)

Again, here's to future episodes and more FMA manga goodness happy.gif
cheers fellow fans, cheers

--------------------
Roy's partner in arms - Maes Hughes:
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Apr 26 2009, 01:58 AM
Post #13

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

^ Thank you, Elemental/Alchemist!! ^^ Nice to see you back!! happy.gif

--------------

I was hoping to post this part of translation of interview with Ms. Romi Pak before the airing of this episode, but anyway, on the interview, Romi Pak-san said that the voice of Nina is done by a 9 years old girl, Ms. Sumire Morohoshi. And, at the recording of this episode she impressed everyone in the studio, including all the FMA VA veterans, with her amazing work for the VAing of Nina. smile.gif
(Ms. Pak described it as: watching Ms. Morohoshi work on that day "sent a chill on the spine" with her natural talent on VAing of Nina. ^^)

BTW, I haven't watched the episode yet. The episode sounds good, and I'm dying to watch it...

----------------------

OT:
QUOTE (Sannom @ Apr 26 2009, 04:18 AM) *

@Sannom - I just checked the news in Japan, and the top news seems to be that Japanese government has issued some cautionary directive to all travelers to Mexico because of the Swine flu outbreak in that country. tongue.gif

So... knowing that the streaming of the episode on "official" streaming venue of KeyHole TV went fine, my guess is that the streaming of the episode on TvAnts might have been somehow blocked or altered for some reason?? unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
amestris_star
post Apr 26 2009, 02:03 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (Tombow @ Apr 26 2009, 10:58 AM) *
^ Thank you, Elemental/Alchemist!! ^^ Nice to see you back!! happy.gif

--------------

I was hoping to post this part of translation of interview with Ms. Romi Pak before the airing of this episode, but anyway, on the interview, Romi Pak-san said that the voice of Nina is done by a 9 years old girl, Ms. Sumire Morohoshi. And, at the recording of this episode she impressed everyone in the studio, including all the FMA VA veterans, with her amazing work for the VAing of Nina. smile.gif

She did an amazing job... totally.
Thanks for the info, Tombow-san wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Apr 26 2009, 02:07 AM
Post #15

State Alchemist (Major)

Is that why they said Nina was a nine years old? I've not seen the episode, but I can guess her age wasn't given to us?

Oh, and how was the filler about Scar battling and defeating Basque Gran? I was kinda hoping it will be there, because we saw Gran's alchemy in the teasers, and I wonder how it turned out...

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2016 - 01:09 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css