Rating 1 V
Tombow
post Feb 19 2007, 01:40 AM
Post #361

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

I'm temporarily closing this "English Version" thread till I can figure out which thread should merge to which among so many English voice vs Japanese voice threads we have, and while I'm at it I do not want anyone adding more posts to this thread.

ETA: Feb 22, 2007
Opening the thread again, and merging this "English Version, Your opinion?" thread to "Complaint About English Version, FUNIMATION has ruined FMA anime series!!" thread.
Checked the continuities of the posts on both threads, and confirmed the continuities of the posts will survive the merge.

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
superdude
post Feb 19 2007, 07:16 PM
Post #362

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,612

<Merged "Doesn't Seem Right That Romi Paku Is Female" thread with the following 4 posts here. 02/19/07 ~Tombow>

Does anyone else feel strange that Romi Paku is female? She has a very skilled voice and is very good at it, but she is female. She is the lead voice actor of Fullmetal Alchemist, whose male main charecter is idolized and admired by uncountable numbers of people, and is unmistakabley male. But she is female! It feels really weird to know that behind that voice is a woman. Anyone else feel the same way?

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Feb 19 2007, 07:19 PM
Post #363

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

No.
Most young boys in animation are voiced by women.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
superdude
post Feb 19 2007, 07:33 PM
Post #364

Citizen

Member No.: 44,612

QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Feb 19 2007, 08:19 PM) [snapback]507048[/snapback]
No.
Most young boys in animation are voiced by women.

I know that. That doesn't stop it from feeling unnatural.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Feb 19 2007, 08:08 PM
Post #365

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

@superdude - Welcome to the board!!
I'm going to merge your "Doesn't Seem Right That Romi Paku Is Female" thread to existing English voices thread.
Everyone can continue the discussion there. smile.gif

ETA: Thread merged and notified the thread author of the merge. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hunterk
post Feb 20 2007, 11:39 PM
Post #366

Citizen

Member No.: 44,934

Cartoon Network has a contract with L'Arc~en~Ciel (I believe I wrote it right) and Asian KungFu Generation about advertising their songs, that's why in Adult Swim they only play READTY STEADY GO! and Rewrite.
((sorry if anyone said this before T-T))

--------------------

+Quote Post
Little Washu
post Feb 22 2007, 08:00 PM
Post #367

Lt. General

Member No.: 31,492

I rather liked Hughes english voice. I liked the voices of the whole Hughes familly. If I was mad or something and then I watched an episode with the Hughes' then I'd feel better. I wish I had nice neighbors or something like that like them. The Hughes' are my favorite characters smile.gif.

--------------------

d a| Y a k u s o k u |t u m b l r

+Quote Post
Reta McClain
post Feb 23 2007, 12:14 AM
Post #368

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 40,803

Someone here commented that "if you don't speak/understand/whatever some language you can't get the original feeling from it". I think that it's pretty much that way, but then why I get more emotion from Japanese version than from English? I'm neither of those.

I have never studied Japanese (apart from some stupid stuff you can learn by accident) and I've studied English since autumn 2001 and I was 9 when I started. I think that the dub lacks of emotion (and it irked me to no end to hear Vic's voice from 5-year-old Ed).

The other reason I prefer to Japanese (subtitled) episodes is that my understanding of written English is way better than spoken. (Even though that is pretty good too, compared to some people in my class: O.O What is "roskalaatikko" in English??? roskalaatikko= trash can)

I have watched about 14 eps in English and I rather like Vic's voice wink.gif Though I hate Fletcher *shudder* I screamed when I heard it and hid under my covers.

I'm VERY happy that they show Fullmetal Alchemist with Finnish subtitles instead of dubbing it. VERY happy indeed. I wouldn't be able to watch it in Finnish. And with Japanese voices. Another plus point to SubTV^^

And about that understanding thing again: I've seen Pokémon/Pocket Monsters/Whatever in Finnish and it's HORRIBLE! Same goes with Finnish Hamtaro and Digimon/Digital Monsters. Awful stuff.

--------------------

Adobe Photoshop Elements is my friend^^
My FanFiction.Net account
A Fangirl of Good Looking Fullmetal Alchemist Men = FGLFMAM

+Quote Post
Edamame
post Feb 23 2007, 06:58 AM
Post #369

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 38,530

I have to admit that I have only watched one episode of the American dub. I find that rather ironic considering the fact that English is my native language. I have seen the Spanish, Japanese, and French dubs of the show. I have to say that the French dub really grew on me; like the Japanese dub, I believe that the French voice-actors placed a great deal of emotion into their characters. (Well, perhaps that is just my opinion.) The two Spanish dubs still manage to make me cringe though. (It really amuses me that they translated all the Japanese songs for the show into Spanish when I saw the dub in Spain.) Now perhaps I shall actually sit down and listen to the English dub...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Twilightz
post Mar 20 2007, 06:45 AM
Post #370

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 45,523

There are better dubs than the American dub for FMA. The original Japanese voice is naturally better ( well, actually it's only my opinion) than any other. The American dub is okay. Those who hate it, don't have to watch it. Then just watch some other dub.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fujihakama
post Oct 9 2007, 09:25 PM
Post #371

Citizen

Member No.: 45,336

The english dub is bad but not as bad as some other anime dubbings I've seen....
*cough* Inuyasha *cough*

--------------------
__

**./\__/\*******
**(=`^`)******.
**.i'''''''''''i******
**( _U_U_)==>*

+Quote Post
luluseason
post May 28 2009, 04:24 AM
Post #372

Citizen

Member No.: 69,073

^ yeah i agree.

i thnk als voice turned out alright in it actually, not too fond of eds though...

usually hardly any dubs beat the original jap casts ^^;;

--------------------

+Quote Post
shanryelric
post Mar 23 2010, 10:20 AM
Post #373

Alchemists

Member No.: 71,970

nah, I think vic turned our great Fullmetal Alchemist to be the angst-type of ed. he always use that whispering-angsty voice. and his voice for ed is a truly OOC.
Al sounds.. nah, I can't barely hear him talking. -__-
winry sounds WAY too old for her age. sounds like she;s a single 30 aged woman than a 15 years old girl.
roy sounds waaaaaaay too deep and I can't even sense the 'roy-ness' in his voice. roy should sound younger than that...
hmmm..

--------------------
Goodbye, Fullmetal Alchemist. Thanks for the memories.

-the manga, characters, story lines, the ending, the Brotherhood series, the first anime and the movie and all things related to it, are the only things that I will always love like how I love my own life.-

+Quote Post
Full Metal SHORT...
post Jun 14 2010, 02:23 AM
Post #374

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,454

I was a bit depressed after hearing the English voices. I just didn't think that the English Edward showed the right amount of emotion as the Japanese Edward. Jap Ed was more exciting and seemed to get angry more easily.

Al was pretty good though. So was Winry. I was just disappointed with Ed sad.gif

--------------------

OK, so I'm tall in real life... just imagine me as short... :)

+Quote Post
Misty- Nala
post Jun 18 2010, 01:13 PM
Post #375

Apprentice

Member No.: 64,416

QUOTE (Reta McClain @ Feb 23 2007, 10:14 AM) *
I'm VERY happy that they show Fullmetal Alchemist with Finnish subtitles instead of dubbing it. VERY happy indeed. I wouldn't be able to watch it in Finnish. And with Japanese voices. Another plus point to SubTV^^

Let's leave Anime to Japanese. You know, I've been thinking about what could have happened if they did dub FMA to Finnish. Of course, that'll never happen because the series is too dark. I'm quite positive that Antti Pääkkönen would have been the voice of Hughes.

I've never liked the English Version too much. Some voice actors are okay but what annoys me is that they try to imitate the Japanese pitches. Especially women do this, they speak as high as they can and it sounds stupid.

Also, Vic Mignona sounds too old to be Edward. Romi Park is perfect although she is a girl. She can express multiple emotions with her voice; I always find something new when listening to her work. I think Mignogna's popularity comes from the fact that he played Edward, not that he was the character. Vic's voice is too dark, it doesn't suit a teenage boy at all, not even mentioning a child.

--------------------

+Quote Post

26 Pages V  « < 23 24 25 26 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2016 - 08:10 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css