Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tsuzureori, Roiai 100 Themes
hagane_no_tokage
post Mar 15 2005, 02:44 AM
Post #1

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,565

something hath possessed me to bam out drabbles... i was at work today, bored out of my mind as usual, and i got to thinking about...lots of random things. these things tend to manifest themselves physically on paper. today it was in my notebook, as a roiai drabble. when i got home, i realized i had basically written a drabble on the first of 100 roiai themes. so i tweaked it to fit a little bit better, and then decided, why not challenge myself to write all 100 themes?

i know, i know, i have like 6 fics going on already... dry.gif but having lots of projects means i never get tired of them. if i get tired of working on one, i'll work on a different one. happy.gif and the best thing is, now i HAVE to write shorties. it's a double challenge. all my fics are ginormous, so drabbling has never come naturally to me. i hope i did all right with this one.

theme-drabbling is...interesting. i think i like it. this first theme isn't romantic really...but those of you hankering for some angst and fluff should be sated with some of the later themes. i can't wait till i get that far. i'll do these in order. if you want to know what's coming next...or if you're just curious about what the hell i'm talking about, go to this site. all 100 themes are listed. happy.gif

Tsuzureori • Tapestry

Roiai 100 Themes

...true love is woven of 100 stories...as a tapestry is of 100 threads...

Roiai 100 Themes

#1 軍人
Military Personnel

Central HQ was a large, imposing building. It's alabaster face was as decorated as some of the generals that had passed through its doors, and surely as weatherbeaten. But, like its steadfast employees, the face of HQ would never knowingly show the lines of age in its visage or the burden of its past on its eaves.

Riza Hawkeye stood out in front of the building, her brown eyes trained on the huge insignia that adorned snow-white facade above the front archway. How many times had she walked in through that doorway? And how many times had that doorway simply stared at her as she had done so; stoic and silent and overflowing with a quiet dignity, as one would expect a military building to be. She had never thought about it until just then, and she imagined it wasn't likely she would think about it again anytime soon...but the point remained...

They were alike.

On the outside; emotionless, cold, flat and unwavering. Appearing disinterested, apathetic, and unaffected. The epitome of an unperturbed attitude. And on the inside? Teeming with paroxysms of tension, fear, and misgivings. Filled with the narrow gaze of cynicism, the reek of distrust, and sidelong glances out of shifting eyes, but too proud to admit to any of it. Proud and strong, yet so tremulous and fragile all at once.

"Chuui, what are you looking at?"

She turned and glanced at her commander, and her eyes narrowed a little.

"Nothing, Taisa," she said, and Roy didn't believe her. "I was just thinking."

"About what?" he wanted to know, realigning the lapel of his coat and approaching to stand beside her. His black eyes followed her line of sight to the face of the building.

"How people emulate their surroundings," she said vaguely, and he made a face.

"Pardon?"

She gestured.

"What do you see when you look at that building?" she asked him, and he squinted.

"I see...a building that has stood for many years," he replied, actually giving it thought. "A building that has sheltered its employees in all weather, through all manners or crisis; a building that has become a home away from home for the people who work there..." He paused, looked at her. "I see...a big, old, faithful building that has always been there...and probably always will be."

She gave him an unreadable look.

He quirked an eyebrow.

"Why?" he queried. "What do you see?"

She lifted her chin.

"I see the people who work there," she told him, moving forward again. "They, too, have stood for many years, sheltering this country and protecting their people in crisis." She turned back over her shoulder and gave Roy a rare smile. "Ancient and faithful as the buildings they work from are the people of the Amestris military, eh, Sir?"

Roy gazed at her a moment, puzzled, and then walked ahead to join her.

"I suppose when you put it that way," he said, and jogged up the stairs to pull the door open for her. He motioned her inside. "Always been there...always will be..." He chuckled as he followed. "Sentinels to the end. Such is the destiny of military personnel..."

And the door swung regally closed behind them.

short stories and drabble snippets are hard for a loquacious chatterbox! T_T CC me?

--------------------
IPB Image

I am the Cold Blooded Alchemist. Ph34r Me.
Read My Fics! :D

Auld Lang Syne...Shinkume...Tsuzureori...Tin Soldiers...Pegasus...The Space Between
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WrenchFreakWinry
post Mar 15 2005, 03:26 PM
Post #2

Citizen

Member No.: 9,129

ZOMFG, neechan!! You managed to write something shorter than the Lord of the Rings trilogy!! I'm kidding. ♥ I like~ as I do of all your stuff. Try another one, ne? X3

--------------------
Little Sister to Hagane_no_Tokage!
[no, really... she's my sister.]

user posted image

+Quote Post
Tobu Ishi
post Mar 15 2005, 05:35 PM
Post #3

Alchemists

Member No.: 6,815

And of course your other "little sister" /has/ to put in her two cents. What a lovely analogy for Roy and Riza's relationship! (Or was I just reading too much into their views of the building corresponding to their views of each other?) In any case, that's how it came across to me. Can't wait to see more!

Hmm, I could use a place to put all my drabbly little ideas...I wonder if I should lay claim to the EdWin 100 Themes? XD

--------------------

The Restoring Earth Alchemist
Big Sister to Chiyo, Little Sister to Tokage, Edward to WrenchFreakWinry

An Appetite For Grief Dividing the Bones Elysium FULLMETAL FOLLY
Good Neighbors Jaybird Letdown Mater Familias Mea Culpa Play With Me
Rosarium Seven Years The Shadow of Him Some Assembly Required Wired Wooden

<3 The EdWin 100 Themes <3
She remembers the way her inexplicably riveted gaze slid unbidden
down the curves of his back, slowly, like honey. And she particularly remembers
the rush of prickly heat, the unfamiliar melting sensation that made her duck
her head to hide a blush that caught her entirely by surprise; as she realized
for the first time, in an entirely new way, that Ed was a
boy.

Click here to read more...
THEY'RE STILL UPDATING! PLEASE DON'T FORGET THEM. ;_;

+Quote Post
hagane_no_tokage
post Mar 16 2005, 05:20 AM
Post #4

here's theme #2. this one came out kinda dark and angsty. O_o didn't really mean for it to... hm...

spoilers for episode 25.

Roiai 100 Themes

#2 銃声
Gunshot

He has been known to drown his sorrows in scotch. She has found him once or twice in his office, sprawled on one of the couches well after the building has fallen silent and deserted as the wee hours of the morning come creeping silently over the horizon to filter weak sunlight into the room. The morning shift will be coming on duty soon, and she has to wake him up before they arrive, lest someone see him in this state.

It has been nearly six months now since the death of his dearest oldest friend...yet she still finds an empty glass in his desk drawer sometimes, a ring of saffron still clinging to the bottom of it like a telltale tearstain around the base of the glass. On those mornings, when she sees him behind his desk with a cup of coffee and a wan smile, his eyes dark and bloodshot and his hair mussed from sleeping fitfully there in the office, she has to resist the urge to wrap her arms around his neck and cradle him.

She has to keep up the propriety, after all. She can't very well be caught coddling him on-duty, no matter how much he needs it. Or how much she yearns to. Someone ought to. Roy Mustang gets little sympathy from anyone, even when he needs it the most. She finds the whole ordeal terribly frustrating. She misses Maes, too...but she can't let Roy know that. She has to be strong. She has to be strong...for him.

So she finds other means of outlet.

Riza Hawkeye does not drink. She has seen the absurd things alcohol causes her associates to do, and utterly refuses to put herself in that position. And so she puts her frustrations into other activities.

Crakk! Crakk crakk crakk!!

The target at the far end of the shooting range shakes violently with the rounds she pumps into it, her steady hands locked on target. She never misses. Not even on the mornings when the colonel looks like hell and it makes her heart bleed. No, she never misses.

Crakk crakk!

He was drinking again last night. She found him ragged and reeling on the sofa in the office this morning. Half-asleep, half-awake, mumbling deliriously about how useless he was and why the hell hadn't he been able to do something?

Crakk!

She had given in to the urge to embrace him this time. And he had just hung his head, the little glass with the yellow tearstains sliding from his trembling hands and clattering to the floor. But the scotch won't bring Maes back.

She lowers the gun and removes the protective ear coverings.

Seven rounds. Seven perfect shots.

A sigh escapes her lips.

She misses Maes, too...

He drowns his sorrows in scotch... And she silences hers with a gunshot.

wow. dark. i don't usually write dark. O_o thoughts?

yay! kept this one under 500 words! 473! the first theme was 530-something. i'm gonna try and keep them under 500 words. @_@

--------------------
IPB Image

Auld Lang Syne...Shinkume...Tsuzureori...Tin Soldiers...Pegasus...The Space Between

+Quote Post
Le Monkey
post Mar 16 2005, 06:45 AM
Post #5

Major General

Member No.: 2,167

I like this one better than the first Tokage..
A class material...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tobu Ishi
post Mar 16 2005, 01:38 PM
Post #6

Alchemists

Whoo, very dark, Neesan. I like it, though. Particularly the line about the Colonel looking like hell and making her heart bleed. Very blunt, brief, and to the point--very Riza. ^^

--------------------

boy.

+Quote Post
hagane_no_tokage
post Mar 16 2005, 10:07 PM
Post #7

another kinda angsty one. hm...i hope these themes lighten up a little soon, i'm getting...dark. O_O

Roiai 100 Themes

#3 戦場
Battlefield

Everything was grey... The sand, the sky, the very air around them... It was all gray; the shifting, swirling mass of colorlessness that dances around in the void between twilight and dark.

But there is no twilight here. There is no twilight in war. Day and night have no transition...only grey lines between one and the next.

She hated grey.

Second Lieutenant Riza Hawkeye scowled at the horizon as it seemed to grow further and further away from her, and wrapped the tan sniper-shawl tighter around her shoulders.

It had been a long day.

She had lost count that day. She usually managed to keep track--like a sort of tally system in the subconscious pocket of her brain that told her how many lives she had taken that day...how many flower petals to scatter to the wind the next time she passed a cemetery: how many candles to light in the graveyard sepulchre. But today she had lost track.

And it was beginning to bother her.

"Stop mulling," came a chiding voice, and she glanced over her shoulder, frowning. Major Roy Mustang hadn't opened his eyes where he had been sitting (and giving the indication he had been sleeping) behind her against a stack of ammunition crates. His eyebrows lifted briefly, though his eyelids did not. "You're giving me a headache."

She turned her eyes to the vanishing horizon again.

"Sorry, Sir," she mumbled.

"It doesn't matter how many," he said abruptly, and she jumped.

"Excuse me?"

One black eye opened slightly, and he looked at her severely. "You're counting again," he accused. "You're always counting them. Counting the bodies you've left behind you." The other eye opened. "This is war, Shoui...if you mourn every kill you'll be mourning forever."

She shook her head.

"That's not..." she started to say, but it would have been a lie, so she stopped.

He sat forward and draped one arm over his knee.

"Why bother?" he asked, and there was sincere curiosity rather than bitter cynicism in his voice. Riza frowned at him.

"Because I would hope someone would count us," she replied, and Roy's brow knit together. Her eyes moved back to the horizon again as it vanished from grey into black. "Because the real war isn't out there, Shousa..." She took a deep breath, and tapped her temple. "It's in here."

He tilted his head.

"I beg your pardon?"

She looked at him sadly.

"No matter who wins," she explained, "even after the 'war' is over...it still keeps going." She placed her palm over her brow. "It keeps going inside our heads, Sir. The real war is with ourselves and how we will go on knowing there is so much blood on our hands."

He looked at his hands, then at his sniper, and she gave him a sad smile.

"The real battlefield," she said, "is within us."

He had no reply.

Night fell around them, and Riza wondered if absolute black was even worse than indecisive grey...?

this is, of course, a speculative piece. we've yet to determine Hawkeye's position in Ishbal...but it looked to me like she was a sniper, so... that's my story and i'm sticking to it. 498 words on this one. w00t.

*toddles off to toy with theme #4*

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Tobu Ishi
post Mar 16 2005, 10:19 PM
Post #8

Alchemists

Hmm. I think #2 is my favorite so far...but I do like this one, particularly the line about hoping someone would count them. It's a very nice perspective on war and casualties.

--------------------

boy.

+Quote Post
hagane_no_tokage
post Mar 16 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #9

w00t! two themes in one day! go me!

another episode 25 spoiler here.

Roiai 100 Themes

#4 墓
Grave

Roy shoved his hands in his pockets and scowled.

They looked silly. That was all he could think. He rolled his eyes heavenward and his brow squinched in confusion.

"I don't get it," he said to the sky. "Why zinnias? They're round and goofy, and they clash with the more tasteful flowers other people brought..." He shook his head and looked reproachfully down at the bouquet of multicolored blooms. They were far too loud, and Roy almost wanted to hide them beneath the more classic-looking carnations that had someone had left on the burial mound the day before. "I'll never understand you, Maes... To this day, I still don't..."

His gaze swept across the letters etched into the marble headstone, and traced the lines of his old friend's name. Maes Hughes.

He had been a devoted husband, a doting father, and a precious friend. But, among other things, he had been quite eccentric in his own way. He had lived every day to its fullest, whether his cohorts thought him buggy for it or not.

Roy had always admired that about him most.

His eyes fell on the bouquet again.

But...zinnias?

"Why zinnias, Maes?" he called to the clouds, and he jumped when someone answered him.

"Don't you know what zinnias mean, Sir?"

He whirled and saw Riza standing behind him, her brown eyes smiling silently. He glowered, and then noticed that she, too, had brought a bouquet of the vividly colored zinnia blooms. She walked past him and placed the bunch of flowers next to Roy's.

She turned, and he looked at her expectantly.

"They signify faithfulness, and the lasting thoughts of departed loved ones," she told him after a pause.

One eyebrow twitched.

"I still don't get it," he said, folding his arms over his chest as she came to stand beside him. "Why on earth would he ask for zinnia flowers?"

Riza chuckled, bowing her head in a brief moment of silence for the departed. Really...Roy was so dense sometimes.

"Because, Sir," she said fondly, "if you can remember something so trivial as what flowers he arbitrarily asked you to put on his tombstone in a passing conversation on a busy day...then he knows you'll always remember him."

And she turned to head back home, her list of things to do complete for that day. Roy watched her go, then jogged to catch up.

"You mean...he doubted I would remember him?" he demanded, sounding hurt. She paused.

"No, Roy," she said firmly, and gave him a knowing smile. "He just wanted to have the last laugh...one last time. That's all."

And she started walking again. Roy quirked an eyebrow, and stood still in the path a moment. Then he shoved his hands back in his pockets and, with a final sidelong glance at his old friend's headstone, he followed Riza back toward HQ.

'Riza-chan...Roy...If I die before you...put zinnia flowers on my grave. But only on my birthday. That'll be enough...'

dark and sad Maes!drama is overdone. i wanted to do something lighter with this... Hughes was so silly, somehow i think it's very IC of him to still want to get a rise out of Roy, even after he's gone, you know? XD

500 words exactly! i made it! yay!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Le Monkey
post Mar 17 2005, 02:45 PM
Post #10

Major General

Member No.: 2,167

LOVE IT !!!!!

They just kep getting better and better!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
WrenchFreakWinry
post Mar 19 2005, 04:05 PM
Post #11

Citizen

Member No.: 9,129

♥ I liked this one... nice touch with Hughes. ♥ He's insaaane... remember the crazy fabric we saw in the fabric store??? XD;

--------------------
Little Sister to Hagane_no_Tokage!
[no, really... she's my sister.]

user posted image

+Quote Post
hagane_no_tokage
post Mar 20 2005, 12:56 AM
Post #12

sorry this one took so long... *kicks adelphia* dammit, make up your mind...are you working or not?? -__-|||

this theme was tricky because it's a play on words that doesn't come across in english... more explanation will follow at the end of the piece.

post-episode 51 setting; small spoilers for the end of the anime.

Roiai 100 Themes

#5 兵器・平気
heiki/heiki (weapon/fine)

She decided to let him enjoy it while he had an excuse. Surely, if he wasn’t convalescing, she never would have let him get away with napping at 3:00 in the afternoon. He was sitting upright, resting against the wall, his head angled toward his shoulder, the plate of apple slices sitting next to him on the mattress.

He hadn’t finished them before falling asleep. This irritated her a little. After all, if he didn’t eat properly, he was never going to heal. She debated rising from her chair beside his bed to retrieve the plate, but then decided against it. It was such a rare occasion that he actually got to sleep anyway… She hated to disturb him. She resigned to folding her fidgeting hands in her lap.

After a moment, Riza squirmed in the chair, frowning when something poked at the small of her back. Oh…that was right… She had forgotten she still had her firearm holstered there. She supposed it was foolish to bother wearing it now. She hadn’t been to the office in weeks, and she clearly wasn’t going to be on-duty for a while. Roy still had months to go before he was recovered enough to return to work.

But she could wait. She had stayed by his side this long; no sense stepping aside now. The man was barely capable of taking care of himself healthy…what was he going to do with a blind eye and a shattered leg? So she stayed.

But…she kept the weapon. For all the good it had done her... She hadn’t been fast enough. If she had arrived sooner; seen Archer earlier; fired more quickly… Had she only been more on top of things, maybe Roy would never have gotten into this situation.

Her brow furrowed. Simply carrying a weapon wasn’t enough. Not to protect the man she loved. She had to be the weapon: The shield that remained between Roy Mustang…and all the trouble he got himself into. She wouldn’t have hesitated to step in the path of a bullet or take a knife in the back for him…but the thought simply wasn’t adequate.

Roy shifted in his sleep, and winced when his injured leg ached fiercely at the movement. She set her jaw at the grimace.

She wasn’t going to make this mistake again.

He moved again, his face tightened in pain, and his good eye fluttered open. Seeing Riza’s eyes upon him, he squeaked in alarm. He hadn’t meant to nod off. He straightened his back and grinned apologetically.

“Sorry,” he said quickly, softly. “I didn’t mean to fall—” He paused in mid-sentence to take in the somber look on her face. “Hawkeye?” he asked. She met his gaze. He frowned. “Daijoubu?”

She gave him a small smile.

She would correct her mistake.

Things would be fine.

“Ee,” she affirmed, reaching over to retrieve the plate of apples. Her smile turned sly. “Heiki…ni naru wa yo.”

And she meant it… However he chose to interpret.

okay, i'm sure ninja was cringing at that... i know she hates to see japanese in an english fic... >_< but it was kind of necessary for this one to work... ah...this theme was heiki(weapon/heiki(fine). the word heiki can mean both, depending on the kanji used to write it, so it makes for a nice play on words for this theme. unfortunately, however, the homonym does not come thru to english, putting me in a rather comporomising situation... i decided that most of you are pretty clever and would probably be able to deduce from the context of the last couple of phrases what was being said, more or less...

'heiki ni naru wa yo' could mean several things... "i'll be fine", in response to his question, "things will be fine", in response to her previous thought, or "i will become a weapon", in regards to the thoughts she was having earlier. the last line indicated that she could very well have meant any of the above...and it's left open to your (and roy's) interpretation just what she was saying.

the homonym works thus in japanese, but clearly not in english...so in order to keep the little joke, i had to put that last bit in japanese. hope the effect came across okay. CC me? this one was a challenge, i enjoyed it. ^.^

another one right at 500 words. huzzah!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Tobu Ishi
post Mar 20 2005, 08:18 PM
Post #13

Alchemists

Beautiful, dear--lovely strong imagery, too, and the Japanese was spot on. <3 Better hurry up, though! I'm pulling ahead! XP

--------------------

boy.

+Quote Post
hagane_no_tokage
post Mar 20 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #14

bammed out three themes at work today! yay!

here there be episode 25 spoilers. ye have been warned. arr.

Roiai 100 Themes

#6 死
Death

No two people mourn the same way. Roy Mustang and Riza Hawkeye are no exception to this. Their personalities are so different to begin with that their cohorts weren’t surprised to see that their faces returned two very dissimilar expressions at the death of Maes Hughes.

The colonel was always more animated—flamboyant and spirited; speaking with his hands more than his words. His cheer is extroverted; likewise his sorrow—though he tries valiantly to hide it—is dreadfully apparent in his eyes. Or perhaps it’s only visible to the eyes of his subsidiaries.

The lieutenant is his polar opposite—calm and level-headed; preferring not to speak at all, much less with gesticulation. She thinks too much, and says too little. Her happiness is introverted; likewise, her pain—and every emotion, frankly—is also muted.

But this they have in common: the faces they wear in adversity are identical—stoic, apathetic, unwavering. At least to the untrained eye.

The faces they see on one another are not so indifferent.

When he is with her and alone, as is often the case when he has again procrastinated too long and the piles of paperwork have risen above his line of vision over the desk, the darkness behind his gaze becomes evermore evident. Occasionally, she is permitted to see the tearstains on his cheeks—or perhaps the tears themselves, but these instances are few and far between. Usually it’s merely the darkness, but that is plenty to make her ache as if the sinews of her heart have been overstretched.

She, however, does not return this reflection to him. She can not allow herself the luxury of tears—not if she is to remain strong for the both of them. He has asked her once or twice why she does not weep, and she balks. How can she answer him that?

How can she tell him that she holds back for his sake? So that he can lean upon her as he does once those mountains of paperwork have dwindled and his eyes are tired from squinting at the tiny print for hours. To weep in front of him would shatter the very pillar upon which rests the foundation of his trust in her. He leans upon her shoulders, but she cannot do the same.

He is the commander; she the subordinate. She supports him, and to permit the opposite is inexcusable. So when he folds his hands over the desk and gazes at her with fatigued eyes and aching shoulders and asks, “How can you be so strong all the time?” she has no answer for him.

People mourn in different ways.

He grieves only to her, and it is enough for him.

For her, it is enough to simply be there beside him as he does. His anguish is more than enough for both of them to share. The death of Maes wounded the both of them more than they let on…but in each other they find adequate solace alone.

another angster. thoughts?

(500 words exactly! i am eenweenseeble!)

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Tobu Ishi
post Mar 20 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #15

Alchemists

Ouch...bittersweet, this one, and heavy on the bitter. I like it. <3

--------------------

boy.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2016 - 03:38 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css