HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 64: Journey's End - Content Discussion Thread, Warning, spoilers for the entire Brotherhood series
spectator
post Jul 5 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #76

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 34,836

QUOTE (zonkiethegreat @ Jul 5 2010, 11:22 AM) *
It had me LMAO...
Alternate

It's like Castro Mustang! LOL

This is even worse! He looks like some ship's skipper. lol.

with his bangs combed back is already 'fuhrerly' enough, and handsome too! I bet the Amestris citizens like their new leader better than ever.

--------------------
'Prince of Dawn' Fanfiction - Envoy of Love: The True Prince

Eastern Headquarters' Attraction - Something fun to read.

CoS and FMA1 Fanfiction - Right person, wrong place, wrong time
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheSentinel
post Jul 5 2010, 05:24 PM
Post #77

Citizen

Member No.: 44,527

QUOTE (Vlyse @ Jul 4 2010, 04:43 AM) *
I really liked the use of Ray of Light and Hologram in this episode. Though, the pictures I managed to see (hi, Keyhole) were sort of different as already mentioned. Not sure I like Mustang's mustache or Paninya and Garfiel sneaking in the family picture. Are they implying Paninya/Garfiel?! I know the way they changed Havoc's picture implied Rebecca/Havoc. I approve.

...I still don't know what's on Selim's forehead. sad.gif

-Don't mind Mustang's mustache, in drawn form... a thin mustache in real life is pretty horrid (it's why I have either a beard or goatee). While it makes sense to keep short hair for females in the military... Riza looks better with long hair.

-I don't mind Havoc being healed, partially or fully, via the stone. Mustang putting his subordinates first is key to his whole character.

-I do mind the extras in the family photo... though it does make sense if the picture gets taken in Rush Valley...

-As for the mark on Selim's forehead, we never did see Pride's ouroborus. The serpent forms a circle the triangles a dot. If any one plans on having him regain some/all of his homunculus powers in fanfic, I'd suggest having it switch from the circle with a dot to the ouroborus.

--------------------
Tomorrow's forecast:
An expected high of 68 degrees, partly cloudy, with a chance of DOOM!

+Quote Post
AXavierB
post Jul 5 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #78

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,365

When the mannequin soldiers were unleashed, the philosopher's stone liquid was pumped in through tubes attached to the red nodes on their bodies. This leads me to believe the thing on Pride's forehead is connected to whatever is left of his philosopher's stone.

--------------------
"There is no such thing as wrath inside me."

+Quote Post
allykatty1
post Jul 5 2010, 06:27 PM
Post #79

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,571

Had a great time seeing the official subbed version at the Anime Expo screening! It was nice to watch it with a couple hundred other FMA fans, who all cheered and "aawed" at the appropriate moments (plus they gave us little FMA flags to wave)! The EdWin train scene, of course, got more cheers than anything else, lol! XD

Talking more about that scene, I liked Winry's expressions more in the manga and liked that the hug felt smoother and gentler there as well. However, I actually liked Ed's expressions and the extra nervousness/hesitation Bones added in even more than the manga, so I guess it evened out pretty well. smile.gif

In the manga, he genuinely seemed bored with Winry's automail lecture and while I kind of miss his line about being excited to go West, I can see why Bones cut it (it made the whole scene more about the confession/proposal than anything else). It also didn't seem to occur to him in the manga to "propose" until Winry mentions the word "appointment/reservation." But in this version, he was "ignoring" her lecture not out of boredom with the topic, but rather because he was clearly nervous about what he wanted to say to her and had already decided ahead of time that he was going to say it. It made for some cute romantic tension. happy.gif I approve!

As for Havoc, wasn't it implied in the manga that he was healed there as well? He was shown rehabilitating. Here I guess Bones just wanted to make it more clear that he was definitely on his feet again.

+Quote Post
cherry-chan. :D
post Jul 5 2010, 07:52 PM
Post #80

Citizen

From: a relatively small country at the South East of Xing. 8D
Member No.: 69,870

Aww~ I loved this episode. (Especially the EdWin parts. XD)

I was quite surprised with the changes they made, but I'm fine with it.
Roy and Riza sharing a hospital room (They have been kind to us Royai fans for this little scene. XD)
I actually liked how Roy was studying about Ishbal and stuff, and the whole gang was there. And the fact that Roy wanted Marcoh to use the stone for someone else first (Havoc!) before him... that's just so Roy-like! XD

Al looked a bit weird in some scenes, but then again maybe that's just because he hasn't fully recovered during that time, so it's fine. The part when Winry was going to answer the door... although it was... taking a bit long, considering the short distance she had to cover, it was a nice effect. Suspense, or something. XD

And the train scene, when Ed confessed/proposed/whatever you choose to call it, that was probably my favorite part! Although I'm not much of an EdWin shipper, I loved that part to bits.

Of course, the ending, when Ed was talking, that was great too. biggrin.gif

The episode content was great. The use of Hologram as the ED was... surprising, lol. But what really surprised/shocked me was the pictures at the end. There are a lot of changes there, like.. Paninya and Garfiel in the Elric family picture, lol. And... wow. Hayate! (I was both happy and heartbroken with that--I'm sorry, I just used to ship DenxHayate, haha!)
But to top it all off is the hot topic at the moment: Roy and his mustache. XDDDD

I'm thinking either a mustache is a prerequisite to becoming a Fuhrer (come on, look at Bradley and Grumman. XD) or maybe... maybe Roy finally got his facial hair so he could look 'dignified and like his age'. (Remember the omake, guys? XD)

Overall, it was a great ending to the series. ;______; Now we just have to wait for the movie. 8D

+Quote Post
zonkiethegreat
post Jul 5 2010, 08:37 PM
Post #81

Alchemists

Member No.: 55,197

All I can say is that Winry's scene...when she hears Den barking, and then opens the door....then "Trisha's lullaby" plays....I STARTED BAWLING....it was SO EPIC and BEAUTIFUL...and yes...as someone said earlier....it was just plain...HOLY....

This was better then the manga. It just caught me off guard.

I will speculate further later, when I have more coherent thoughts on the last episode.

--------------------

Visit the Roy X Winry fansite : http://royxwinry.weebly.com

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post Jul 5 2010, 08:41 PM
Post #82

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,768

We need a "Mustang moustache" contest.
Make the best moustache, and you win 10 internet cookies.

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Jul 6 2010, 10:41 AM
Post #83

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

Or we can stop mentioning it unless it is part of a fuller post.

I'm all for a funny little contest once we allow spoilers loose, but for the time being can we tone it down a little please? I don't like to be a kill joy but this IS the last episode and we don't want to pack it up with Roytash aimed jokes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jealous Rogo
post Jul 6 2010, 11:19 AM
Post #84

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,019

Okay so got around to watching the last episode and... wow

I didn't comment much on the last chapter cause I wanted to avoid repeating myself when the last episode came so here we go. I love the fact that aside from a few minor characters, nearly everyone got a decent length scene dedicated to them in the last episode. While some may crave more Royai (MORE?! Seriously was the entire 'trying to force Mustang to do human transmutation' not enough?!) I felt the scene with Roy and his crew was handled perfectly. I like the change they made with the fact Mustang was already going to focus on Ishbal rather than being basically blackmailed like in the manga. I also like that Mustang said he wanted Havoc healed before him. It was a good little throwback to when Havoc told Mustang to go ahead of him. Looks like Mustang just couldn't keep that promise after all tongue.gif

I also like the fact that Hawkeye mentioned that this is the best they can do. Remember what Hawkeye was saying back in Vol 15? How she and the others could pretty much only atone with their deaths? Seems like the events of the series have changed their minds on that. I'm reminded of what Al said about 'choosing death' waaaaaaaaay back at the beginning.

Olivier could've done with more of a send off but I like the subtle change in Mustang and her relationship here. Remember back when she said she didn't care about Mustang? And how she would be upset if she lost Hawkeye or Havoc like he did? Well here we have her giving Mustang MILES, her aide and now her best man let's face it. That shows alot of growth for Olivier, and shows, at least to me, that she now respects Mustang a lot more. Note also that she put the rebuilding of Ishbal above learning about Eastern Alchemy. She's no longer the war focused woman she was before, then again she may never have been.

I also like Scar's send off, while it may seem like a middle finger to all of us wanting to hear his name, I also like the message of it. Scar is pretty much saying that he's not that man anymore. What does this mean? Well bare in mind what Scar and the man he was before he became Scar was like; he hated Ametris and Alchemy, he saw no good in either of them. Now, well it's obvious that part of him has died and he's more open than he used to be. He's learned to love his country but not hate the people of Ametris. He wont forgive them, but he's willing to work with them to help them repair the damage they caused.

I like how they handled the Xing stuff as well, even if it was obvious it was going to end that way. Again we can see how the characters have changed here; both Ling and May were pretty much vehemetly opposed to the idea of working together, both of them were out to crush the opposing families. Ling, as they joke, has learned alot from Greed. Greed, despite his faults, was a damn good leader because he accepted everyone to him. Out of gree or what not, it's clear that Greed was respected by his underlings and in return he clearly had affection for them. Ling seems to have taken this on board, pretty much acting like Greed did with his underlings. He doesn't crush the house of Chang, he accepts it into his fold. After seeing what a lousey ruler Bradley was, it's clear he doesn't want to become a man like that. May on the other hand now clearly no longer feel obligated to her clan anymore, and is free to do what she really wants to. Look back at the series and... May's devotion to her clan now really comes off as more like guilt. She wants to go do what she wants, but she can't leave her clan to die. Now Ling has promised to protect it, she's free to follow her true interests...

Grumman becoming Fuhrer is a good idea actually, considering the two youngsters beneath him would likely tear each other apart of it. I also like that Pride gets a second chance. I don't see it as so much him getting a happy ending, as Mrs Bradley getting a happy ending. She gets the son she loved so much, and the new Selim gets a second chance. A chance to prove that Homunculus and humans can coexist. Although it does seem weirdly like the series is telling us men can't raise children, they need a mother... which I have issues with but whatever it's still nice.

I actually dont have much to say about Gracia...

I love the fact that the Chimera are with Al, especially after poor Nina was mentioned. It's great that they're there because it gives the whole thing a roundness. Al said he would find a way to help Nina back then, and now he's out to do just that, and this time maybe he'll be able to help these two poor souls that were made into Chimera against their will. Al heading off to Xing is nice, if only for the shipping aspects. It's clear that Al isn't just heading off to Xing to research, let's face it.

Ed and Winry's moment was nice, it's always great to see two characters who are so quirky and almost stupid about how they approach things like love. The fact that Ed has to put it in scientific terms just to get across what the hell he means is so funny and so true to his character. The fact that Winry quickly blurts it out but then tries to change it, is also reflective of her character. It's a nice moment and a perfect way to close off these two characters and their relationship. The fact that Ed and Al decide to travel the world is also nice, and again true to who they are. Their curiousity is too great, and you know they wont be happy to just stay in one place. That is until the day of that photo obviously hahah....

Speaking of which the photos ruled, nuff said.

I've loved every moment of this series and I am going to miss it dearly.

So long, it's been a hell of a ride smile.gif

--------------------

Please check out my comic if you have the time

+Quote Post
MustangSally
post Jul 6 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #85

Citizen

Member No.: 73,730

I like the change they made with the fact Mustang was already going to focus on Ishbal rather than being basically blackmailed like in the manga. I also like that Mustang said he wanted Havoc healed before him.

Me too. That never really felt true to character for me. Why would Mustang need to be TOLD what to do, he was never in it for the personal glory but to make up for his 'sins'? One thing the manga did better was showing that Roy was now suddenly faced with the fact that he'd lost his eyesight and that really had changed everything, he'd have to retire from the military. It really IS a big thing to face and it had only been maybe a day since it happened and most of that time had been spent with the adrenaline pumping with a battle going on, it was the first quiet time he'd had to face it. So it was perfectly understandable that he was sitting their quietly, with his head in hands, at the point Knox found him.

But I don't think on finding out there was a philosopher's stone to help him he'd need to be blackmailed by Marcoh into helping Ishbal. It would have made more sense to me to have Marcoh maybe ask, before he would give him the stone, what he was going to do when he go this eyesight back. At which point Roy would have said something like "Well I already said Grumman could have it so I guess I'll focus on helping the Ishbalans rebuild their homeland until he retires".

So in that sense I was glad for the change, Roy got to be proactive. And I also think he'd definitely have said "Use this on Havoc first", another thing that wasn't shown in the manga but everything we've learned about Mustang so far points that being his reaction.

+Quote Post
Radadinator
post Jul 6 2010, 01:24 PM
Post #86

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,706

Oh man, what an episode...

I love what they did with the Mustang and co. scene, feels more complete than in the manga. Especially with the inclusion of Havoc. Judging from the photo in the manga of Havoc learning how to walk again, I always thought that Havoc wouldn't be completely healed even with the stone.

Everything with the walk to Risembool and Winry was amazing and brilliant. Den looked really retarded, though.

Ed hammering his finger made me laugh. Also Al's shirt is a horrible shade of orange.

Selim waving goodbye is adorable. Too bad we never found out where his tattoo was. (Always thought it was on his buttcheek.)

I friggin' love that the chimeras are going to go with Al to Xing. If there's a continuation of the series, I seriously want it to be about Al and chimeras' adventures in the east. Screw Ed's journey to the west, Jerso and Zampano are boss.

Yeah, sure, Al, learning alkahestry with May. (Can 'learning alkahestry with May' be an AlxMay euphemism like apple pie is for Edwin?)

Wait, what if those kids in Falman's picture are just his family? Reminds me of Brock's family photo in Pokemon (must be the eyes.)

Aw, Al didn't have any kids. Oh wait, is May like, 14 now or something? Okay, never mind. But whoa, May grew taller than Winry!

EDIT: Ed's hands look like they were caught in a beartrap.

Sinking into complete misery now that fma is completely over...oh wait, a movie? Man, they really want to milk this series for all it's worth, huh?

EDIT 2: Just caught sight of these two outside the coffee shop.

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab172/n...20stuff/lol.png

I definitely remember seeing them in a few other episodes.

+Quote Post
starkast
post Jul 6 2010, 07:12 PM
Post #87

Citizen

Member No.: 71,262

Loved it.

+Quote Post
crazyanimefan
post Jul 7 2010, 09:35 PM
Post #88

Apprentice

Member No.: 64,696

I thought the episode was excellent. Totally didn't mind the changes at all, especially involving Roy and Co. I thought it was quite fitting for Roy to use the Philosopher's Stone on Havoc first, and I admit that I squealed like a little girl from happiness at the (very in-character) thought of Roy putting his men first. Also, I like that he was already focusing on trying to atone and help Ishbal, instead of being somewhat-blackmailed in the manga.

I think that the Trio's hug was cute, but the music threw me off a little. It's not that it didn't fit, because I'm sure it was Trisha's Lullaby or something, but I was expecting something different. Still, it worked. The slow walk towards the door was excrutiating and I was completely satisfied at the end.

The proposal was good. Short and sweet. I loved seeing it animated, especially the hug. It gave me warm fuzzies inside.

And finally, the montage. Mustang stache must die. Oh gosh, the Falman kids. The graves of Trisha and Hoho made me sad and happy at the same time. The family photo + Paninya and Garfiel didn't bother me too much, but I still prefer the original. The thing that the final scene lacked was some Gracia and Elysia, which was something that I was hoping they could add in the anime. Ah well.

And for those who would like it, this little edit found on DA has hopefully not been posted:
Actual Family Picture

--------------------

+Quote Post
Icy12
post Jul 7 2010, 10:53 PM
Post #89

Citizen

Member No.: 66,541

QUOTE (crazyanimefan @ Jul 7 2010, 11:35 PM) *
And for those who would like it, this little edit found on DA has hopefully not been posted:
Actual Family Picture

Thank you times 1000!!!!! laugh.gif
Huge improvement!

+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hawkey...
post Jul 8 2010, 02:49 AM
Post #90

Apprentice

Member No.: 62,114

QUOTE (crazyanimefan @ Jul 8 2010, 05:35 AM) *

Great! We were waiting for it all the time happy.gif I think that it will be my new wallpaper biggrin.gif

--------------------

Avatar by Michiyo-,Sig is not by me

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2016 - 01:05 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css