HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Bermuda Triangle, A legend built on half-truths. What are your thoughts?
Vash_the_Gunslin...
post Jan 2 2007, 04:55 PM
Post #1

Major General

Group: Members
Member No.: 33,355

Well, I haven't seen any topics about this legendary geographical feature, so I decided to make a topic.

Now, if you, for some reason, haven't heard of the Bermuda Triangle, here is some information about it from Wikipedia. Now, alot of things have gone "missing" while crossing paths with the Triangle. Ships, planes, submarines, and more have gone mysteriously lost. There have been alot of "explanations" on this subject about why this happens. Time travel, UFO's, and other supernatural things have been thrown into the mix. While, others have blamed natural occurances. I personally don't like the feeling of not knowing to much about something. I would like to hear your thoughts on the subject of the Bermuda Triangle and its unexplained mysterious. Also, what you think of some of the things that have happened there. And, most importantly, what you think is the reason behind these events.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Demon x
post Jan 2 2007, 05:45 PM
Post #2

Alchemists

Member No.: 39,726

I've been told that this triangle is the center of many natural dangers like hurricanes and tornadoes etc. which results in the dis-appearense of many objects.

--------------------
formerly known as Garuda, God of War.
Signature coming soon

+Quote Post
Vash_the_Gunslin...
post Jan 2 2007, 09:50 PM
Post #3

Major General

Yes, I have heard that too. I think it is just a common excuse. Not that many losses of planes and ships could come from natural causes. Sure, it is possible, but I don't agree to much on it.

+Quote Post
Demon x
post Jan 2 2007, 11:03 PM
Post #4

Alchemists

Member No.: 39,726

can you support reasons as well, I think so because since something disappeared and a ship was sent do investigate and it disappears as well and so on..

--------------------
formerly known as Garuda, God of War.
Signature coming soon

+Quote Post
Stealth
post Jan 2 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #5

Apprentice

Member No.: 43,136

I always thought it had something to do with the electro magnetic field around that area, it is different in that are and it would stuff up the plans navigation, and with the ships it would stuff there compass, but still that would just mean that the ships would be lost and they would float around until they find land but with the plans they would run out of fuel and sink. But then you would ask why there is only a few ships and plan wreckages at the bottom of the ocean floor.
I think the methane hydrates theory would be one of the best expiation for this but still why could they find some ships at the bottom? So maybe it is a mixture of many different things. But not aliens, that's just stupid.

Well thats my 2 cents.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vash_the_Gunslin...
post Jan 3 2007, 06:41 PM
Post #6

Major General

Yes, I agree that the alien idea is fairly stupid. I like the idea of a magnetic field or something because it tries to add some realism to the story. Since pilots and ships get lost, I think a magnetic field or something to do with electricity could be a fair explanation. The reason being, I think that their compasses or directional device would be unhelpful if the thing can't give off a clear direction of where you are headed.

+Quote Post
Razzy
post Jan 3 2007, 06:56 PM
Post #7

Special Ops (4-D Super Curator)

Group: Gallery Moderators
Member No.: 39,817

I agree with the "electro magnetic field" theory that The_Stealth_Alchemist mentioned. I have read about it a lot, and I once read an article that Christopher Columbus saw "a ball of fire in the sky", which is also stated in the Wikipedia article that Vash posted. That's a weird coincedence(sp?), though. Weird lights in the sky, I mean. Aliens is an extremely unlikely theory, though. Wormholes are also out of the question. This topic has always interested me, and I love to read and learn about it (there's tons of Bermuda Triangle specials on the History Channel =D). I have heard about water currents and stuff like that. They could have contributed to the ship disappearances. I just read in the Wikipedia article that some people believe that the ships and planes went through a time warp. I had never heard of that theory, but I don't believe it. There was also a mention of Atlantis and a "death ray". That, I think, is also another theory that isn't true. I think it's the "electro magnetic field" theory. That is the most likely. But that time warp thing sounds kind of interesting

--------------------

C'mon, grab your friends. We'll go to very distant lands.
my deviantART

+Quote Post
Vash_the_Gunslin...
post Jan 3 2007, 09:40 PM
Post #8

Major General

Yes, some of the theories are very, very unlikely, but it is cool to learn about them. Such as wormholes or aliens. This is why the Bermuda Triangle is amazing to me. You just don't know.

+Quote Post
DustStorm
post Jan 3 2007, 09:46 PM
Post #9

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 21,999

Yes, I have to agree with the electro magnetic field theory, cause I think it is the most logical one. The others are possible I guess, but the magnetic one makes a lot more sense to me. But I have to admit it'd be awesome if it were something involving aliens. It would be quite interesting. ph34r.gif

--------------------

I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous… everyone hasn't met me yet.

+Quote Post
zephyr_zealot
post Jan 3 2007, 09:53 PM
Post #10

Citizen

Member No.: 43,433

I guess all the "electro magnetic field" thing does make the mystery to te Bermuda Triangle. (Just like Steel Heart Alchemist mentioned about an article of it).My brother told about it once (while we were talking abut unsolved mysteries) that,when you get in the Bermuda Triangle,(bring in a compass too.)Your compass needle will be spinning non-stop,as if there was magnetic field all around you.(info:always compass needle show north in cause of the earth's magnet)but this??
So...is this Bermuda Triangle is just a myth or it is a real thing??(I am so amazed by this phenomena)

--------------------

Face it. It's a lot of changes now..

+Quote Post
EdwardElricsgirl
post Jan 3 2007, 10:10 PM
Post #11

Citizen

Member No.: 40,982

I saw a show on the Bermuda Triangle and it goes with what The_Stealth_Alchemist. But it also leaves you hanging not really telling you if it is true or if it is false, it leaves it with it is possible. So I truely don't know the answer, but I think it has to do with the electro magnetic field around the area. And methane hydrates is suppose to be methane hydrate bubbles that surfface and it suppose to throw the ships off and sink them. I have seen test on the science channel and they proved it to be true, but it would take a lot of the methane hydrate bubbles to sink one boat. On the electro magnetic it would throw the compasses off and also they radio so they could find their way back to land and get lost cause all the islands would look the same. They would know which way to go, and most go the wrong way going farther out to the ocean.

--------------------
So you wish you were an anime character,
well I wish I was in a anime

To bad I can't because I live in this world not in
an anime world
:P

Yeah I am a dork but you love me anyways

+Quote Post
Amol
post Jan 4 2007, 04:19 AM
Post #12

Major General

Member No.: 39,340

What is the cause of this electro magnetic field, around that area ?

+Quote Post
EdwardElricsgirl
post Jan 4 2007, 04:43 AM
Post #13

Citizen

Member No.: 40,982

well I would have to look it up, but I do know why methane hydrate is around the area. It is because the area has a lot of underwater valcanoes

--------------------
So you wish you were an anime character,
well I wish I was in a anime

To bad I can't because I live in this world not in
an anime world
:P

Yeah I am a dork but you love me anyways

+Quote Post
Vash_the_Gunslin...
post Jan 4 2007, 05:31 AM
Post #14

Major General

QUOTE(Amol @ Jan 4 2007, 05:19 AM) [snapback]491170[/snapback]
What is the cause of this electro magnetic field, around that area ?

On Wikipedia, they said that magnetic declinations are in the area of the Bermuda Triangle. Some other places have it. It is where there is north and then there is true north. Now the angular difference makes the magnetic declinations possible. Here is the link to it on Wikipedia.

+Quote Post
Edamame
post Jan 4 2007, 09:59 AM
Post #15

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 38,530

EdwardElricsgirl: Methane hydrate was originally believed to only occur in the outer reaches of the solor system where temperatures are extremly low, but scientists have discovered large deposits of methange hydrate under sediments on the ocean floor. Some scientists believe that methane hydrate are formed by the migration of gasses along fault lines in the ocean which are generally caused by earthquakes. I haven't read anything that links methane hydrate to underwater volcanoes, but I wouldn't dismiss it. The methane hydrate theory is considered to be one of the least credible natural theories amongst scientist for several reasons: 1. The Bermuda Triangle is not located in an area with extreme methane hydrate concentrations
2. The majority of aircraft and ocean vessels that have dissapeared in the Bermuda Triangle have not dissapeared in areas with a concentration of methane hydrate.
3. Drilling rigs have drilled in these methane hydrate beds, encountering less dense water and slowly sinking. However, scientist say that this process was so slow that the oil rigs were able to seek help.

One way or another, the Bermuda Triangle is such a disputed topic. However, I choose to dismiss the more popular theories that link the loss of aircraft and ocean vessels to extra-terrestrial life and technology from Atlantis. Vash, I read the link regarding variations in the magnetic field on Wikipedia and am rather baffled by it. I found an article online that explains this theory in greater depth and then chooses to completly dismiss the theory: Argument against the Magnetic North versus True North Theory

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2016 - 08:12 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css