Reply to this topicStart new topic
2012: What Do You Think
Hagaren_4ever
post Nov 19 2009, 09:26 PM
Post #46

State Alchemist (Major)

Group: Members
Member No.: 50,311

^I think she just think it's ridiculous, and it shouldn't be made into a movie. Not to mention the fact that it freaks some people out. But these are usually the people that believed it in the first place. I wouldn't want to watch it, just because I know everyone's gonna die, and it's gonna be depressing.

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KwiatekAlchemist
post Nov 19 2009, 09:29 PM
Post #47

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 70,538

^
I don't know, I don't really have a good reason for that.
Just that in my opinion I think its pointless. :|

+Quote Post
Fullmetal666
post Nov 19 2009, 11:13 PM
Post #48

Citizen

Member No.: 71,879

Remember back in 1999 how people were saying that the world was going to end in 2000? Remember how nothing happened? This sounds like the same thing.

--------------------
Lust: Maybe you are right. Where did I come from, and where will I go when I die? Maybe all this time, that is what I wanted... the freedom to find out.

+Quote Post
Imbris
post Nov 20 2009, 03:02 AM
Post #49

Citizen

Member No.: 63,564

QUOTE (Fullmetal666 @ Nov 20 2009, 01:13 AM) *
Remember back in 1999 how people were saying that the world was going to end in 2000? Remember how nothing happened? This sounds like the same thing.

That was ridiculous, but at least the computer crashing theories had a BIT of reality behind them. This 2012 stuff is just 100% ludicrous.

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Nov 20 2009, 07:18 AM
Post #50

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

^ But the calender! The calender, Imbris! It ENDS! ohmy.gif

OMG, that must mean that's when the world ends! Because apparently they're great at predicting the ends of all civilizations but they're own! Those Mayans are so smart...

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
Disasterpiece
post Dec 6 2009, 07:04 AM
Post #51

Alchemists

Member No.: 66,581

I beat Estate Takedown and Armor Piercing by myself in Modern Warfare 2, it's not going to be a problem for me.

--------------------

EdwardxWinry

[credit goes to Aquarina :D]

+Quote Post
sidekick.kep37
post Jan 7 2010, 01:43 PM
Post #52

Alchemists

From: The lair where the Sidekicks hang on their down time
Member No.: 67,873

@ Disasterpiece On veteran???? Oh Gasp. Regardless, that's impressive.

Back on topic, I actually saw 2012 and I thought it was alright. Lots of CGI and stuff like that you'd expect from a movie about the end of the world, but... it was alright. It didn't depress me or anything, but it kinda captivated me. I enjoyed it.

Still, I'll be waiting in my attic holding a shotgun... those zombies aren't gonna last long. JKlawlz

+Quote Post
Animeoldtimer
post Jan 7 2010, 02:30 PM
Post #53

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 8,503

I remember back in 1986 or '87 the world was supposed to end too when the planets lined up. I don't know the exact date. Just that there was talk about it. No one can predict the world ending. Only God knows. And if you think I'm crazy believing in God, how is that any crazier than believing the world will end because of some calendar stops on a specific date?

Not trying to stir up controversy, I'm just saying.

--------------------
"Funny how you can say something in your head and it sounds fine... "--The Doctor

+Quote Post
sidekick.kep37
post Jan 7 2010, 04:11 PM
Post #54

Alchemists

^^ Well, the point of this being in the debate district is for us to debate on one another, so it doesn't really matter if you start a giant conflict or not, cuz it's... debate. Y'know. But anyways, I'm pretty sure the majority of this thread is against the world ending in 2012.

But anyways, I agree with you. I believe in God and I don't tihnk the world's gonna end in 2012. I think the argument other people present is interesting and I like learning about the opposing side's POV (hence my seemingly eager persona regarding this topic. I even presented a persuasive speech in my speech class to convince the class of the world ending (even though I clearly stated to them I didn't believe in it). So yeah, as you can probably tell, I enjoy having the knowledge of both sides of the argument.

The world's not going to end. Why? Not because other false prophecies haven't come true regarding it or because it's cool and fun to pick on those who do believe in it, but because the Bible says so. Like Animeoldtime says. And I have full faith in God. And even though the evidence presenting a higher being is often ignored claimed to be 'unreliable' and to those who don't believe in God would say that there's even less evidence for God than there is of the world ending in 2012. Either way only time God and scientific breakthroughs could tell.

EDIT: Oops, I didn't mean to bring the whole 'God' debate here.

+Quote Post
Katya Martin
post Jan 16 2010, 11:15 AM
Post #55

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,181

I think that whether you look at it from a religious or scientific angle (or both), the world ending in 2012 is pretty ridiculous. Unless, of course, politics go sour and we end up in a nuclear war, and even if one does break out in 2012, the chances of it occurring on the specified date are pretty silly.

I do think, though, that we'll have some problems around then. My reasoning is this: Look at all the people who are panicking now. Add the number they'll have converted by then. In December 2012, they'll all be convinced that the world's going to end, so they only have days remaining to do whatever that crazy thing they always wanted to do, or whatever, and of course they'll all be panicking on a ridiculous scale, because they think the world's about to end. We might see some riots, or something. But the world's not gonna end.

--------------------

awesomeness by Arakawa, Project FMA banner by Aribelle, avatar by me
I draw things.

+Quote Post
sidekick.kep37
post Jan 16 2010, 01:24 PM
Post #56

Alchemists

^Agreed. I know it's wrong for me to say this, but for some twisted and unknown reason, I'm looking forward to this day because I want to see how everyone reacts. Or rather, how they react prior to the day. Surely when December rolls around in 2012, two things are gonna happen: The whole Happy Holidays magical scenario that, of course, occurs every year, and also the whole "panicky chaos" state you said. I can just see people running all over the place wayyyyy before December 21, 2012, like say... Hmm, a convenient day would be Black Friday, to go run and do ridiculous things like buying ridiculous amounts of Spam, ramen, and other nonperishables... In fact, I just had this disturbing mental image strike through my brain about people looting food pantries...

I can even see myself amidst this chaos- just playing the safe-card, you know. I wouldn't be surprised if I turned into one of those loonies holding up cardboard signs saying 'The End is Nigh' started acting crazy by running people over with shopping carts because I wanted the last roll of toilet paper. But a more sensible me would be going out and buying a surplus amount of food, water, and other basic necessities of life. In fact, during Y2K, my parents actually went and filled up buckets, sinks, bottles, and the tub in our house with water because they just wanted to be safe. They told me this when I asked them they did during Y2K, since me (and my bro) were like 6 years old when this happened.

So, I just want to get my point across that even though I don't believe in it, it doesn't mean that I'll be a pompous, arrogant person if/when the day comes. I'm not going to call anyone out on being a gullible weenie and I will stand and take it if someone name calls me. Better safe than sorry, right? XD

@ Katya Oh yeah... nukes. Totally forgot about those (somehow). True, some political figure could get all irate and press that pretty read button, but, really, what are the odds somethnig like that happens on December 21, 2012? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Katya Martin
post Jan 16 2010, 02:06 PM
Post #57

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,181

I get what you mean, wanting to see what people do, but I think it could also get somewhat dangerous/scary. A bunch of people emptying grocery stores because they think that whatever happens will go between them and food is one thing. A bunch of people running around with the mentality that their actions no longer have consequences because they're about to die... that's a pretty scary thought.

--------------------

awesomeness by Arakawa, Project FMA banner by Aribelle, avatar by me
I draw things.

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Jan 17 2010, 06:25 AM
Post #58

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

I think something may happen in 2012 but of course the world wont suddenly 'end' as katya said from both a scientific or religious view point it wouldnt happen, things take time, as in years, decades, wars dont happen over night

--------------------

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Jan 17 2010, 08:09 AM
Post #59

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

I don't think anything's gonna happen. Nothing out of the ordinary shi*ty things that happens every day, all year around.

I think a mass hysteria revolving around this, having people freaking out and causing riots, would be absurd. But I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.

Inform me, are there a lot of people as of today who seriously believe in this 'end of the world'- prophecy? I'm not exactly well-informed on the matter, I tend to stay out of these discussions.

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
FMAobsessed
post Jan 17 2010, 09:52 AM
Post #60

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 52,558

All I can say is that if the world does end in 2012, it will be when I graduate college. So if the world does end, then I can say "I just wasted my money for four years in college, just to have the world end before I can go out into the real world... Great."

I am just going to say that December 31, 2011 is going to be how December 31, 1999. People were panicked and nervous, but then nothing happened.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2016 - 04:08 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css