HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

30 Pages V  « < 28 29 30  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Why Do People Hate Winry And/or Edwin?, Discuss one of the toughest issues!!!
rosieechan
post Aug 1 2010, 09:05 AM
Post #436

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 74,287

QUOTE (xHearter @ Jul 30 2010, 03:29 PM) *
the main reason most people hate winry is because she's to aggressive and over reacting in the manga. In the first anime she's not as bad but is still very aggressive. I really dont see how its bad enough to hate her in the anime tho. but hating winry often leeds to hating edwin because EVERYONE who watches the show likes ed, and sometimes winry doesn't seem good enough for him.
honestly in the beginning of the manga i didn't really like it, it seemed to much of an abusive couple, but then when the thing happened with scar i changed my mind and it was wonderful! and through out the whole animeseries i loved edwin, ever sense episode 6 when ed was writing a letter to her.
nina: "ooh a letter, who are you writting to?"
ed: "A PERSON IT DOESN'T MATTER!" >///<

I never saw them as an abusive couple. It's like this--they both have short tempers, but they both care about each other anyway. Kind of like Ash and Misty from Pokemon or Ron and Hermione from Harry Potter.

Do you mean the parts where Winry hits Ed with a wrench? Those moments were just there for comic relief, and seriously, if that really was a big of a deal or "abusive", the "blood" on Ed's head wouldn't have magically disappeared two seconds later. XD Also, they way Winry can control Ed from making stupid decisions is like Riza controlling Roy from lack of responsibility in his work. ^^

Not everyone likes Ed. o_o' (not to say that I don't! XD)
But I don't think there IS any other girl that deserves Ed. Winry is the only girl who has known him long enough and care about him, AND she has a personality to match Ed's. She is the only girl that knows him and what he is like. And honestly, I can't see Ed with any other girl than someone like Winry.

Actually I like Winry way better in the manga, because she has a much better role and develops mentally and emotionally as a character. tongue.gif But that's just my preference.

--------------------

Pink n Black icons @ LJ

EdWin :: AlMei :: LingFan :: Royai
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Raichi
post Aug 1 2010, 11:00 AM
Post #437

Citizen

Member No.: 74,870

I think they're cute together, and it's always dandy to have a mechanic as a gf when you've got automail tongue.gif

though I wonder if she would fall in love with Ed if he had remained small, because she said she didn't want to marry either him or alphonse because she was the tallest when they were kids.

+Quote Post
Amalthea
post Aug 2 2010, 02:25 PM
Post #438

Alchemists

Member No.: 44,604

As has been said before, I think that it is easy for people to see Ed and Winry having a brother and sister relationship, especially early on in the story. Even though Ed and Winry mature physically over the duration of the manga, the way they treat each other is still often in an immature, bickering sibling manner.

Also, Winry is extremely emotional, while Ed can be pretty callous and insensitive to her feelings at times. Later on though, we see him respecting her wishes more and more, such as speaking to her more about his journeys, challenges, etc. We could all tell that at the very least Ed found Winry attractive, but in some regards he's still an immature teenager (completely understandable given the circumstances, however). Ed is also very bashful and uncomfortable expressing his feelings, which is pretty normal for adolescent boys.

Even though Ed and Winry officially got together at the end of the manga, they've progressed emotionally a lot since the start of the series. Sure, their communication isn't the best, but given their devotion to each other and eagerness to learn they will continue to mature together.

--------------------

Thank you, Ms. Arakawa, for sharing this wonderful, enriching story that has affected so many of us!

+Quote Post
Kita-Chan
post Aug 5 2010, 02:03 PM
Post #439

Citizen

Member No.: 68,238

Though I prefer the Ed/Rose pairing, I never really understood why people hated Winry that much.
I don't mind the pairing at all. If you think about it, Ed kind of needs Winry for his automail, and they've been friends since they were children. They have been through a lot together.
At the beginning of the first series and the manga, I didn't really like Winry either. But as the story went on I found myself liking her more and more every episode she was in. And besides, the people who actually hate Winry to no end and want to kill her off are probably jealous because they're Edward fangirls, and can't stand the thought of another girl being around him...

--------------------

+Quote Post
von Hohenheim
post Aug 5 2010, 05:37 PM
Post #440

Citizen

Member No.: 75,118

I don't hate her either. I've seen worse characters in other anime/manga, and I actually liked most of the female characters in FMA because they weren't stereotypically weak damsels in distress, as are often portrayed in other anime/mangas.

I liked the fact that she does something more mechanical in nature, which is the kind of stuff most women don't like to delve into, or are not usually portrayed working with.

Personally, I don't quite see how she would have a romantic relationship with Edward, as it's only comically hinted at by other characters. Sure, maybe they have feelings for each other, but as people have pointed out, it seems more like a childhood relationship than a full blown romantic one.

--------------------

Seit mein Körper sich geändert hat, habe ich zahllose Todesfälle eingesehen. Ich habe beobachtet, wie Freunde alt werden und sterben... habe ganz verwandelnde Orte angesehen, die ich mich früher errinere. Ich schau an, wie Menschen, wieder und wieder, die gleiche Fehler wieder holen und niemals lernen sie von die Vergangenheit. Doch meine einzige Befreiung, ist es mich selbst zu errinern, daß ich noch ein Fleck mitten dem großerem Bild der Sache bin. Da gibt es noch ein menge schöne einzige Dinge, die ich mag schon erfahren... Daran dachte ich, es würde wunderbar sein... Liebe Trisha, als ich du traf und wir Kinder haben, habe ich erkannt, daß ich niemals mich ändern würde und auch wenn unsere Söhne mein Blut in ihren Venen tragen, werden sie sich erwaschen. Sie werden Alter bekommen. Davon hat diese Gedanke mich erschreckt. Danach dachte ich, im Ernst...bin ich Monster.

+Quote Post
Turdaewen
post Sep 3 2010, 07:10 AM
Post #441

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,395

I don`t get why so many people don't like her, either.

In fact, I wasn't even aware that many people didn't like her in the first place! lol

I have no problem at all with Winry in neither versions: manga, FMA 1 OR FMA:B, though I do prefer her in Arakawa's original versions (Manga and FMA:cool.gif, but that is very personal XD

I don't see her as "not fitting for Ed" either and never could see them in a brother/sister relationship, cause they don't act like siblings even though they were raised together.
They're intimate but their intimacy always had a level of fancy and annoyance that's typical of those who are in love with eachother (and one of the main proofs of that is that EVERYONE knew before they even noticed themselves: Alphonse has always known, Riza noticed and even brought it up...)

For me, hating her or edwin (like hating either of the animes or the manga on the so tiresome "versus" discussions) has little or even nothing to do with the characters itself or even their "qualities", but to a personal experience combined with personal preferences and a tendency to over-dramatize things. XD

--------------------

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
"By the power of truth I, while living, have conquered the universe"
Faust, Göethe

+Quote Post
Luxuria-Cat
post Sep 4 2010, 06:46 AM
Post #442

Citizen

Member No.: 75,340

I was actually surprised when I saw Winry haters...not because I was surprised people hate Winry, but the reasons why they hated her. I actually like her, and I think EdWin is cute...but I also think they have a sort of brother-sister relationship...

+Quote Post
ElricAbuse
post Feb 26 2011, 11:24 AM
Post #443

Citizen

Member No.: 78,098

Ed+Winry=flying wrench biggrin.gif

--------------------
Abusing the Elrics is punishable by law (not really, but it should be!)

If you have attempted alchemy by clapping your
hands, snapping, or drawing an array, copy and
paste this into your signature

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Feb 26 2011, 11:42 AM
Post #444

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

<Hi, ElricAbuse! Welcome to the board! Could you please try expanding on this comment? Do you like or dislike Winry and/or EdWin, and why would that be? When posting in discussion threads, please add thoughts to discuss!

This should serve as a reminder to everyone thinking of posting in this thread, too! happy.gif >

ETA 5/5/11: { Welcome to the board, eccentric_intellectual! I'm glad you could join us!

Since your post is concentrating more on you liking Winry, rather than discussing reasons as to why people dislike Winry and/or EdWin (and why you think that people shouldn't think that way) I have moved it to the Winry Fanclub thread. Also, don't panic, if you notice that some of your post has been covered by spoiler tags --if a mod picks up on something that is considered a spoiler, they will cover it up. But if you know you're typing a spoiler, please make sure to use spoiler tags. happy.gif }

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sakuyahanabi
post May 5 2011, 02:51 PM
Post #445

Citizen

Member No.: 73,547

I guess people might dislike, or even hate Winry because of the way the first FMA anime portrayed her. She didn't really seem to have a important role there, not even in the Elric brothers life; at times, Ed seemed kind of indifferent toward her, and that may be why people disliked the idea of them together.

I never considered the 2003 Anime to be canon though (always kind of saw it as an "animated fanfiction" of some sort, lol. That's not to say I thought it was completey bad. I did like a few things in it). In the manga, however, I think Winry's character is very well rounded, and I liked how she developed through the story. People calls her a "Mary Sue" with no flaws whatsoever, but that is not true at all. She makes mistakes, but she also learns from them, and try her hardest to be better at what she does; partly to help Ed move forward.

Also, she provides such a great deal of emotional support to the brothers, and is always there for them. And they obviously loves her very much (but in two different ways I might add).

...I guess that could be one of the reasons why -the fangirls at least- seem to hate her so much. xD

+Quote Post
HawkseyeM1910
post May 5 2011, 05:35 PM
Post #446

Citizen

Member No.: 80,381

@Sakuyahanabi I can agree with that.
After watching the 2003 anime I really disliked her, so when I watched brotherhood and read the manga I wasn't too happy to see her, but as the series progressed I began to like her. Then I re-watched/am re-watching brotherhood and I've actually come to love Winry.

Winry and Ed, much like Riza to Mustang and Ran Fan to Ling, even May to Al, I think each serve their purpose on how they affect that character and to me at least, I think its a little more special to see their interaction, that differs from that with others, to give you more of an insight on the character(s).

If that makes any sense, I'm not very good at explaining things tongue.gif

All in all, in my opinion, I think the 2003 anime did give Winry different maybe even bad impression, but also a lot of other characters too. Not that it wasn't a good anime or anything, but I think the characters act a lot different in the manga/brotherhood than in the 2003 anime.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dark-Winds
post May 5 2011, 06:17 PM
Post #447

Apprentice

Member No.: 75,903

QUOTE (HawkseyeM1910 @ May 5 2011, 08:35 PM) *
@Sakuyahanabi I can agree with that.
After watching the 2003 anime I really disliked her, so when I watched brotherhood and read the manga I wasn't too happy to see her, but as the series progressed I began to like her. Then I re-watched/am re-watching brotherhood and I've actually come to love Winry.

I agree with this. The first time I watched the first anime I really disliked Winry as a character. I didn't think that she was very strong, and was pretty useless. And her relationship with Ed didn't really appeal to me much either. Not much happened with her basically, and I just sort of found her annoying.

But then I read the manga and absolutely fell in love with her. She's my fourth favorite character now. (Behind Roy, Riza and Ed.) I thought that she was stronger and served more of a purpose than just being Ed's automail mechanic. And also, her relationship with Ed was so much stronger in the manga/Brotherhood. I found it a lot more interesting.

So I can see why Winry might be disliked, especially for people who have only seen the first anime, or saw it before they read the manga.

As for Edwin, I can see why people might not like it. Personally, I love Edwin. But people might dislike them because they're constantly clashing with each other and screaming. I mean, Winry's always beating him with a wrench. As an Edwin fan, I know that it's their weird way of showing affection lol But that kind of thing doesn't appeal to everyone, you know?

--------------------

Roy x Riza - Edward x Winry - Ling x Lan Fan - Alphonse x Mei - Havoc x Rebecca

+Quote Post

30 Pages V  « < 28 29 30
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2016 - 09:30 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css