HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Greed Wants To Transfer His Soul To A Suit Of Armor To Gain 'immortality'?!, But, he is a homunculus!!
The random alche...
post Dec 30 2006, 05:37 PM
Post #1

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 42,778

If there's one thing about the anime and manga that confusses me its Greed's interest in Al's body.

Why you might wonder: Greed suggests he wants to transfer his soul to a suit of armor to gain 'immortality' however... wait a sec... Greed's a homunculus.
As far as the series are conserned homunculus ([spoiler]to the exception of Greed!Ling [/spoiler]) don't have souls.

So why would Greed want to transfer his soul if he doesn't have one? Does he think he has one? Does he not know homunculi don't have souls?

This has bother me since I got volume 9 of the FMA DVDS, it bothering me even more when I read the subtitles to one of the OVAS (screenshot below).

So what's up Greedy-poo?

happy discussions smile.gif
Attached File(s)
Attached File  FMA_strangness____by_G_manluver.jpg ( 12.78K ) Number of downloads: 62

--------------------
Where there is random you shall find me : D
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Dec 30 2006, 05:43 PM
Post #2

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

Okay...
Recall the little black babies in the gate? They take the place of the soul in the homunculus body. He would transfer that into the armour in lace of an actual soul.

Atleast that's how I see it.

This should probably have gone in the "Ashamed to be asking this" thread.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
The random alche...
post Dec 30 2006, 05:50 PM
Post #3

Alchemists

I didn't bother going to the "ashamed to be asking this" topic because this is more of a character discussion than a question =/ hense why I put it in this forum.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GREEDisGOOD
post Jan 14 2007, 01:27 PM
Post #4

Alchemists

Member No.: 43,729

You ask why Greed would want to be like Al. Well, he was sealed in Lab 5 for over a hundred years, and it's obvious that he hated it. Though as a homunculus he's immortal, he can be sealed by his bones. But Al is basically immortal too, only that he can't be sealed. I think Greed wanted Al's body because then he couldn't be sealed (only at the time he didn't know that Al could have been killed by breaking the blood seal)

+Quote Post
pawnedbyme
post Jan 20 2007, 04:43 PM
Post #5

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,893

I think greed has a soul.....

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Jan 20 2007, 05:30 PM
Post #6

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

QUOTE(pawnedbyme @ Jan 20 2007, 07:43 PM) [snapback]495900[/snapback]
I think greed has a soul.....

^.....you missed a lot of the point of FMA didn't you?

--------------------

+Quote Post
sweety_pie
post Jan 20 2007, 05:42 PM
Post #7

Major General

Member No.: 35,070

If there's one thing about the anime and manga that confusses me its Greed's interest in Al's body.
He is 'greedy as hell', he wants everything. Als armour makes him immortal. Although Greed is a hummunculous, he can still die. [spoiler]and did[/spoiler]

Why you might wonder: Greed suggests he wants to transfer his soul to a suit of armor to gain 'immortality' however... wait a sec... Greed's a homunculus.
As far as the series are conserned homunculus (to the exception of Greed!Ling ) don't have souls.

I guess that is true... But the baby things take the place of souls in the hummunculous (like Popo said)
So why would Greed want to transfer his soul if he doesn't have one? Does he think he has one? Does he not know homunculi don't have souls?

Like I said, Greed is 'greedy as hell', he want everything, including immortality.
He does not have an actual soul, but having a body of armour, he could live forever, and I guess that is better than a soul.

--------------------

Thank you so much Milky for the Siggie. You are the awesomest!

+Quote Post
GREEDisGOOD
post Jan 20 2007, 07:41 PM
Post #8

Alchemists

Now, I'm not so sure Greed didn't have a soul. He may not have had a soul in the conventional sense, but wasn't that the whole point of Lust's character, that she wasn't just the Ishbalan woman brought back to life, that she acutally had a personality to herself, perhaps what could be considered a soul.

+Quote Post
The random alche...
post Jan 20 2007, 09:23 PM
Post #9

Alchemists

QUOTE(GREEDisGOOD @ Jan 20 2007, 07:41 PM) [snapback]495977[/snapback]
Now, I'm not so sure Greed didn't have a soul. He may not have had a soul in the conventional sense, but wasn't that the whole point of Lust's character, that she wasn't just the Ishbalan woman brought back to life, that she acutally had a personality to herself, perhaps what could be considered a soul.

very true. but my question was what was Greed thinking at the time.
I know people have mention he's "greedy as hell" but being greedy doesn't really explain why he'd want something he couldn't possibly have use for.Sorta like Greed wouldn't want a disease or a male companion, his greed only goes so far o.O

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hunterk
post Mar 3 2007, 10:28 PM
Post #10

Citizen

Member No.: 44,934

I also thought of this question when I watched the anime.
and well.. in the manga I don't remmember them saying anything about homunculus not having a soul, since they are made in a diferent way.. they probably do have a soul. (in the manga)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chiisana
post Mar 4 2007, 06:08 AM
Post #11

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 42,646

Actually Ed can't be the only one who know how to transfer a soul into armor or something.
In the flashback of Martel, she has also seen armor with nothing inside but a kind of bloodseal.
Ehm... Let's see here... That was after King became Furher... Ayeeee I'm all confused~

--------------------
|| =deviantArt= || =LiveJournal= ||

+Quote Post
AnimeFantasy
post Jun 6 2007, 08:28 AM
Post #12

Citizen

Member No.: 47,050

I think it's that he just didn't know any better. And you know how the homunculi(s) want to become human right? Well I think that maybe if he transfer he'd get a soul too...? Basically I think it's just that he was naive and didn't know anything.

--------------------

Sig made by my twin @ Revenant Designs

+Quote Post
Automne
post Jun 6 2007, 09:15 AM
Post #13

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 13,171

[continues the reviving of the ubber old thread]

You know why Greed want to transfer his 'soul'? Because he thinks of himself as so great he believes he's got one (well, okay, he isn't Pride, but you can't deny the cockyness). Also there's nothing solid enough to prove homunculi don't have a soul besides Ed's rambling, which can easily be ignored, at least by me...: D

--------------------

mspaint_lolz on livejournal

'Buffy and Angel had gone out before and Buffy wasn't really comfortable talking to Spike and Angel at the same time, because now Spike and Buffy had been going out for 6 months and Buffy was afraid that Angel might tell Spike that him and Buffy went out, but it turns out that Angel had told Spike that they went out, Spike was heartbroken that Buffy never told him that they went out, so Spike broke up with Buffy to get back at her for not telling him that Angel and Buffy went out.'

-NOT MINE

TEH BESTEST (AND MOST FRENCH) ROMANCE EVAR

+Quote Post
Raych
post Jun 16 2007, 02:00 AM
Post #14

Citizen

Member No.: 47,219

Soul or not, I think the reason Greed wants to be transfered into a body like Al's is so he can be immortal. He's only immortal now [spoiler]because of the stones he's eaten[/spoiler].. right? smile.gif If he didn't have them, he could die.

--------------------
When we pay the price at last,
And we are whole once more,
Life will be the way it was,
The way it was before the day,
She slipped away,
Together we'll redeem that day.

+Quote Post
GREEDisGOOD
post Sep 5 2007, 07:52 PM
Post #15

Alchemists

I swear to god the answer is so EASY. Greed was the only homunculus to be sealed, and for over a hundred years. Take what Marta said after Greed died. She told Ed that Greed had wanted him to end his life, that he would rather be dead than be sealed. He knew from Tucker that Al was imortal but not under the same restrictions as him. All he cared about was getting a body that was immortal but couldn't be sealed.

I'm pretty sure that's it. END OF STORY...hopefully.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2016 - 07:12 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css