Reply to this topicStart new topic
FMA: Brotherhood Japanese Voice Cast Discussion Thread
Full Metal Elf
post Apr 6 2009, 04:42 PM
Post #16

State Alchemist (Major)

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,332

I had no problem with the new VA's. I had to get used to Roy's new voice (if I wasn't looking at the screen, all I heard was Urahara from Bleach XP). Otherwise, I have no complaints. If Ed and Al's voices were different...then depending on who would have replaced them I might have more to say.

--------------------

Proud member of the Anti-Shou movment....
Staff Member of M.S.A (Miniskirt Army)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Artixte
post Apr 6 2009, 05:56 PM
Post #17

Alchemists

Member No.: 48,298

I'm really glad Ed and Al's voice had stayed the same. It was Roy that made me turn my head a little to the side but I got used to it after watching him for about two minutes. OH, but Elysia's voice was SO CUTE! I was rolling around on the floor smiling because her voice was so adorable, and it suited her so well!

--------------------

+Quote Post
AA battery
post Apr 7 2009, 12:08 AM
Post #18

Brigadier General

Member No.: 7,450

Roy's voice sounded fine to me until he screamed "PH33R MY FLAMES!" near the end of the episode... I totally went wt* at it. It sounded TOO SHOUNEN. That scream scared the **** outta me and now I really miss Roy's old voice thanks to that horrifying scream. orz I hope new Roy's voice gets better later.

Riza sounds a little too loli for now, but it's hard to judge since she only had like 2 or 3 lines?

--------------------
*June 11, 2013 - New Doujinshis Added*
Hi, I got a bunch of FMA merchandises (keychains, pencil boards, cards, figurines, book in figure red...etc) for sale at my LJ. Please visit my sale post here if interested! Thanks ^_^

+Quote Post
fullmoon
post Apr 7 2009, 04:53 AM
Post #19

Apprentice

Member No.: 65,068

QUOTE (AA battery @ Apr 7 2009, 05:08 PM) *
Roy's voice sounded fine to me until he screamed "PH33R MY FLAMES!" near the end of the episode... I totally went wt* at it. It sounded TOO SHOUNEN. That scream scared the **** outta me and now I really miss Roy's old voice thanks to that horrifying scream. orz I hope new Roy's voice gets better later.

I agree. That was the only line i didn't like for Roy.
As I see Roy as being very calm and collected and for him to yell like that...is unlike him.

I watched the episode again and I'm still not used to Kimbley's voice >_<

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kasumisty
post Apr 7 2009, 05:39 AM
Post #20

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 59,111

But what is wrong in sounding shounen in shounen manga and screaming? I found it pretty amusing, it was for comic aspects

Btw, many people have avatar or signature from new series, especially with Ed XD I think it's pretty cute tho. I would have either, but something is terribly wrong with uploading anything.

--------------------
Due to the cancellation of the end of FMA, Kasumisty must think of new signature.

It may take a while.

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Apr 7 2009, 05:57 AM
Post #21

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 35,674

But what is wrong in sounding shounen in shounen manga and screaming? I found it pretty amusing, it was for comic aspects

Personally, I think that Mustang has his own pride and certainly dislike being humiliated like Isaac humiliated him in that episode by making him useless laugh.gif That's why he is so loud about how his alchemy shouldn't be underestimated later on wink.gif

But in fact I do dislike how "loud" they made Armstrong in that episode... he often screams so loud it sounds like a war cry, and for some reason it seems OOC to me huh.gif

+Quote Post
His Name is Unkn...
post Apr 7 2009, 08:59 AM
Post #22

Apprentice

Member No.: 40,795

QUOTE (Sannom @ Apr 7 2009, 08:57 AM) *
Personally, I think that Mustang has his own pride and certainly dislike being humiliated like Isaac humiliated him in that episode by making him useless laugh.gif That's why he is so loud about how his alchemy shouldn't be underestimated later on wink.gif

That's how I felt about the yell as well - I was actually laughing pretty hard at that part. The fact that Mustang was being humiliated by one of his former underlings was hilarious; their fire/ice rivalry, while it only had a couple scenes devoted to it, was great and I almost wish Isaac had stuck around a little while longer for that aspect alone.

Mustang's cold at the end was pretty legendary, as well.

Anyway, more on topic, I enjoyed all the voices, including Riza's. I guess it's a blessing that I never had any interest in Bleach, because I had no difficulty adapting to the VA changes. I enjoyed the old Roy, but as some have noted, this new voice sounded slightly more age appropriate. As for Riza being 'loli,' I didn't get that vibe at all. Her line was clearly an aside about her love/hate frustration with Roy, so it makes sense that it would be more feminine. I like Tombow's suggestion about 'toughness with a hint of femininity,' and I hope that's how her voice plays out in future episodes.

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Apr 7 2009, 10:38 AM
Post #23

Major General

Member No.: 67,527

Just to echo several of the statements that Mustang's "Shonen Yell" was absolutely perfect for his character. Like Ed, who of course hates people picking on his height, Roy hates being underestimated for his power - especially when he gets wet and gets called useless - since his alchemy utilizes being able to split the molecules in the air to create his flame sparks.

Although Mustang comes off as a very cool, calm character, I think sometimes people forget that he's rather young for his military rank and because of his experience in the war, was forced to grow up too soon so he tends to hide most of his emotions. Of course we see moments when he loses his cool (usually in humorous situations), but for the most part we have a character that's probably juggling 2-3 different personas that he presents to the world so that he can keep people guessing on who Roy Mustang really is.

Hope this made sense.

PS - Loved the part at the end when Hughes was telling Roy how he should listen to his elders and Roy's expression was close to that of Edward's earlier in the episode. Roy's old enough to give advice to Ed & Al, but still young enough to dismiss the advice when it's given to him.

+Quote Post
Anzu Mazaki
post Apr 7 2009, 04:39 PM
Post #24

Citizen

Member No.: 14,312

Needless to say I was a little disappointed with the changing of Kimblee's voice actor, although perhaps this will fit his manga role more? Its too early to say at this point. Otherwise the other's all seem ok. I loved Mustang's previous voice actor, however this new one doesn't hit me as being EXTREMELY different so we'll have to see.

+Quote Post
crazyanimefan
post Apr 7 2009, 05:20 PM
Post #25

Apprentice

Member No.: 64,696

I rewatched the episode again and found that I adore Kimblee's voice. It's so maniacal. And I still cant stop squeeing over the adorable Elysia. She's so cute!

--------------------

+Quote Post
spectator
post Apr 7 2009, 09:07 PM
Post #26

Alchemists

Member No.: 34,836

QUOTE (fullmoon @ Apr 7 2009, 07:53 PM) *
QUOTE (AA battery @ Apr 7 2009, 05:08 PM) *

I agree. That was the only line i didn't like for Roy.
As I see Roy as being very calm and collected and for him to yell like that...is unlike him.

I feel kinda cute and hilarious for Roy to scream like that. It's totally acceptable to me. First impression about Riza's voice, seems find but more feminine than the voice in the first series. I feel like it's very hard to the Riza's new voice because everybody is 'fixed' with the first series's tone and sound. I read that many fans like her to be feminine thought, because many comments that Orikasa's voice for Rukia in Bleach is too deep and creepy sometimes. I just plead everyone to be reserve on judging on the VAs for the time being. Maybe we will find something interesting.

--------------------
'Prince of Dawn' Fanfiction - Envoy of Love: The True Prince

Eastern Headquarters' Attraction - Something fun to read.

CoS and FMA1 Fanfiction - Right person, wrong place, wrong time

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Apr 8 2009, 01:57 AM
Post #27

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 35,674

I'm more used to the character of Shirley Fenette in Code Geass for Riza's VA, and this character is perhaps one of the most feminine one I've seen in an anime that focuses on action wink.gif

+Quote Post
Hagane no Baka
post Apr 8 2009, 03:24 AM
Post #28

Citizen

Member No.: 66,287

QUOTE (His Name is Unknown @ Apr 7 2009, 08:59 AM) *
QUOTE (Sannom @ Apr 7 2009, 08:57 AM) *

That's how I felt about the yell as well - I was actually laughing pretty hard at that part. The fact that Mustang was being humiliated by one of his former underlings was hilarious; their fire/ice rivalry, while it only had a couple scenes devoted to it, was great and I almost wish Isaac had stuck around a little while longer for that aspect alone.

Mustang's cold at the end was pretty legendary, as well.

Agreed. I actually enjoyed that funny scene with Mustang more than Riza's comment of his uselessness. It was much more expressive.

Oh and yeah I don't have a problem with Roy having the same voice as Urahara Kisuke from Bleach. I love his new voice! <3

QUOTE (His Name is Unknown @ Apr 7 2009, 08:59 AM) *
Anyway, more on topic, I enjoyed all the voices, including Riza's. I guess it's a blessing that I never had any interest in Bleach, because I had no difficulty adapting to the VA changes. I enjoyed the old Roy, but as some have noted, this new voice sounded slightly more age appropriate. As for Riza being 'loli,' I didn't get that vibe at all. Her line was clearly an aside about her love/hate frustration with Roy, so it makes sense that it would be more feminine. I like Tombow's suggestion about 'toughness with a hint of femininity,' and I hope that's how her voice plays out in future episodes.

I'm also one of the few who actually liked Riza's voice. Everybody keeps saying that it's too soft and girly for her character but I don't think so at all. If I compare to other tough-like female characters in the series like Olivia and Izumi, she appears to me as the most feminine out of those three. Riza may appear as a strong, reliable and brave person but not only does she hide her soft side, she also possesses great elegance. At least that's how I've always seen her. Tell me, do you remember any scene where Riza would make a scary face and start screaming at someone like this or this Coz I don't remember any of such. And that's why I like Arakawa's women; they all may seem the same at first glance but also have entirely different, complex personalities tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
spectator
post Apr 8 2009, 05:31 PM
Post #29

Alchemists

Member No.: 34,836

QUOTE (Hagane no Baka @ Apr 8 2009, 07:24 PM) *
Tell me, do you remember any scene where Riza would make a scary face and start screaming at someone like this or this Coz I don't remember any of such. .....

Just a thought of this - maybe Riza hasn't hit mid-30 yet. XD

--------------------
'Prince of Dawn' Fanfiction - Envoy of Love: The True Prince

Eastern Headquarters' Attraction - Something fun to read.

CoS and FMA1 Fanfiction - Right person, wrong place, wrong time

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Apr 8 2009, 05:35 PM
Post #30

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

I like how you quoted that gigantic post above for a one sentence rely.
Next try deleting some stuff.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2016 - 07:26 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css