HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

1516 Pages V  « < 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hawkeye X Roy: The Royai Thread, For Roy, Riza, and Royai fans, and more!!
Rating 5 V
Kale Mustang
post Oct 28 2009, 02:26 PM
Post #18496

Major General

Group: Members
Member No.: 67,527

First of all, hi BlindDetective and as one of the lone males here tongue.gif, please enjoy your stay.

And to everyone else, yes, I've been saving this avatar for the Ishval episode. tongue.gif

It'll be back to Headphones!Roy afterwards wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aribelle
post Oct 28 2009, 02:54 PM
Post #18497

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 68,646

I think Inuyasha was pretty much 50-50 in terms of shounen-shoujo...and I loved the fusion! /me worships Rumiko Takahashi

But seriously, that is one of the reasons I like FMA and Inuyasha - it's not just fight fight power up fight more and power up again...they actually develop the relationships between characters and make you emotionally invested.

PS welcome BlindDetective! Have fun with us here \o/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Oct 28 2009, 03:14 PM
Post #18498

Major General

QUOTE (Aribelle @ Oct 28 2009, 02:54 PM) *
But seriously, that is one of the reasons I like FMA and Inuyasha - it's not just fight fight power up fight more and power up again...they actually develop the relationships between characters and make you emotionally invested.

...Of course all of this time that is spent in emotionally investing yourself into the characters tend to take its toll too...as we've seen with the release of recent chapters. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Reffer Lift
post Oct 28 2009, 04:16 PM
Post #18499

Citizen

Member No.: 71,304

I'd also like to comment on the "FMA is shonen" thing. Along with InuYasha, another great example of a "shonen" with proposes and kisses is Eureka Seven. Yes, "love" is the main theme in that show, but it's Shonen at it's core. I mean, come on, giant robots?

(NOTE: For those who haven't watched it, I'm not spoiling much, so don't worry. tongue.gif (It's one of those things you predict in the beginning and you KNOW it's going to happen. tongue.gif))

In the end Renton and Eureka shared a kiss (and so did Dominic and Anemone, but I won't let my inner fangirl take over for the sake of sanity in this thread.), and yes, it was fanservice, but it WORKED. Now, for Royai, I also don't want it to happen, but that's not to say that "shonen is just boys, and boys hate lovey dovey," because that's not true. Back to using Eureka Seven as an example, I know more boys who have watched it and loved it than girls. And it was BECAUSE of the romance. wink.gif

Just wanted to get that out there before my brain exploded. tongue.gif
-----
On the subject of a Royai kiss, like I said, I don't want it. I'd love it if it happened, but it would really distract from their "story." And to connect Eureka Seven for a THIRD time (sorry guys, I just see all these connections. XD), I like comparing the Royai relationship to Holland and Talho's. They had a kiss, but I find that they didn't really need it (which is probably why they turned it into something more emotional and made her bite her lip and then see blood on his lips. tongue.gif), and neither does Royai. What I do want to see, however, is the lack of formalities when they talk to each other. : D (I just want to hear Roy scream Riza, and Riza to scream Roy. [/fangirl fantasy])

--------------------
The Owner of the Sexy Kitchen

"Ours is such a small graceful love. Yes, it's a small, graceful love."
Sig by me, Avatar found on LJ. 'Cause that place is THE best for avatars.

+Quote Post
Aribelle
post Oct 28 2009, 04:44 PM
Post #18500

Member No.: 68,646

QUOTE (Kale Mustang @ Oct 28 2009, 03:14 PM) *
...Of course all of this time that is spent in emotionally investing yourself into the characters tend to take its toll too...as we've seen with the release of recent chapters. wink.gif

Aha, luckily (or unluckily) for me school eats up all the emotions that would otherwise fuel my fangirling, so I've been handling recent events relatively well XD

But regarding the kiss, I wouldn't mind a spontaneous/heat of the moment type deal. That's the only circumstance that wouldn't be awkward IMO. Although it could be awkward later. But yeah, otherwise I feel like it would be too...I dunno, I just wouldn't like it. Lol. But whatever happens happens.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Oct 28 2009, 04:52 PM
Post #18501

Major General

QUOTE (Aribelle @ Oct 28 2009, 04:44 PM) *
QUOTE (Kale Mustang @ Oct 28 2009, 03:14 PM) *

Aha, luckily (or unluckily) for me school eats up all the emotions that would otherwise fuel my fangirling, so I've been handling recent events relatively well XD

But regarding the kiss, I wouldn't mind a spontaneous/heat of the moment type deal. That's the only circumstance that wouldn't be awkward IMO. Although it could be awkward later. But yeah, otherwise I feel like it would be too...I dunno, I just wouldn't like it. Lol. But whatever happens happens.

True, but judging the reactions of people in this thread (as well as in the manga spoiler threads)...yeah, it's an even split 'round these parts laugh.gif

A spontaneous kiss would be fitting in the heat of the moment - but again, it would fall into the awkward category shortly afterwards, followed by the confused pining...which would then lead to the justification and then we'd be left with a cliffhanger. <- For those following this thought, it's basically breaking down the Han & Leia kiss and aftermath in Empire Strikes Back wink.gif

+Quote Post
FMAobsessed
post Oct 28 2009, 05:16 PM
Post #18502

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 52,558

I agree with Reffer Lift I think that Roy and Riza dropping their formalities and titles would be awesome. I mean they have known each other for a long time.

I wonder if Roy will call Riza, Riza and not Lieutenant in 101. It is not impossible because he has called her by her first name when he was panicking

Welcome BlindDetective!

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Oct 28 2009, 05:25 PM
Post #18503

Major General

QUOTE (FMAobsessed @ Oct 28 2009, 05:16 PM) *
I agree with Reffer Lift I think that Roy and Riza dropping their formalities and titles would be awesome. I mean they have known each other for a long time.

The thing with this though, and I believe I said something about it a while ago, is that their formalities and use of titles is what makes their relationship so unique. For them, it's really hard to drop the formalities, as well as dangerous as they're in a position where even the slightest slip puts the other in danger.

As for the use of titles, it keeps them from getting too close to one another but at the same time, the formal titles might serve as a term of endearment as well - just by inflecting or stressing the tone when saying it.

+Quote Post
FMAobsessed
post Oct 28 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #18504

@Kale: I think it will be easier to tell if the titles are forms of endearment in Brotherhood. To me at least, especially in 29, Roy and Riza definately spoke in a softer tone to each other.

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Oct 28 2009, 06:29 PM
Post #18505

Major General

QUOTE (FMAobsessed @ Oct 28 2009, 06:09 PM) *
@Kale: I think it will be easier to tell if the titles are forms of endearment in Brotherhood. To me at least, especially in 29, Roy and Riza definately spoke in a softer tone to each other.

Oh I think so too, especially since the VAs are doing a fantastic job with the voice work for the two. But then again, a scene like that exchange isn't totally indicative as they were standing outside of HQ and probably knew that they were being watched. Either way though, there will be more scenes that will develop their relationship with one another.

Besides, we also have the 'Elizabeth was taken away by another man' scene coming up, and that alone seems to speak volumes.

+Quote Post
FMAobsessed
post Oct 28 2009, 06:41 PM
Post #18506

I hope they keep the Elizabeth was taken away by another man scene. What I really want them to keep is Roy's facial expression when he tells Madame Christmas the news. It is so adorable, yet it says so much more than the actual dialogue.

+Quote Post
jacksparrow589
post Oct 28 2009, 07:09 PM
Post #18507

Special Ops (Piratical Gallery Enforcement)

Group: Gallery Moderators
Member No.: 48,158

Hello, Blind Detective! Yay for more new people!

Gah! I can hardly contain my excitement and anxiety for 101 and any Royai moments that will occur later in Brotherhood, let alone Ishbal this weekend!

Kale--Yay, StarWars romantic tension! Glad I've got company where a love of StarWars is concerned!

Reffer Lift--Yeah, Eureka 7 did work out rather well in balancing romance and macho robot goodness and angst... To have something like that happen with Roy and Riza as a closure would make me VERRRRRY happy.

As to InuYasha and Rumiko Takahashi's stuff... I preferred Ranma 1/2. InuYasha was an endless cycle for me. Well, the same could be argued for/against Ranma, but I thought Ranma was more entertaining.

--------------------

Credit goes to Causmicfire for my avatar

The Royai Day party might be over, but the fun never stops!
Royai Day 2011 Album
Thank you to all those who contributed!

+Quote Post
Causmicfire
post Oct 28 2009, 08:00 PM
Post #18508

Member No.: 49,283

QUOTE (Turdaewen @ Oct 28 2009, 09:01 AM) *
You know this whole 'supporting/help me' is very Arakawa like, if you think it through.

I'm not sure if anyone else here is familiar with the other Arakawa's works, but, me myself, I'm a HUGE fan of Arakawa's and I've read practically everything she's ever done. And, many of the times, she establishes something like a Roy/Riza relationship.

It's very interesting how Arakawa puts the women behind the leaders in her mangas as if they were a sort of fortress for the men. *.*
Very cute!

I think she's very big on the protector/protected(supporter/supported) where the roles often reverse kind of relationships, too.

"Behind every great man, is a (even) great(er) woman"....yeah, that would be a view I can see Arakawa holding. Though, in this day and age, I can see people wanting to say beside instead of behind.

As for the kiss topic, I really don't see it happening, and would prefer it not to, but I'm the type of person who like the "leave it to the imagination" endings with novels/games/stories in general [i]The Giver[/b] being the book that hooked me on them.

Not only that, but I feel it would be out of character, she wouldn't want to kiss him with her last breaths, but to remind him he needs to keep going. I'd rather see that than a farewell kiss.

Welcome to our thread BlindDetective, I hope you enjoy your stay.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FailToImpress
post Oct 29 2009, 05:26 AM
Post #18509

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 62,174

QUOTE (Kale Mustang @ Oct 29 2009, 01:29 AM) *
Besides, we also have the 'Elizabeth was taken away by another man' scene coming up, and that alone seems to speak volumes.

True that, I always forget about these little tidbits since I read the manga ages ago. When I see these bits animated I remember again and it's a good feeling!

+Quote Post
Turdaewen
post Oct 29 2009, 07:12 AM
Post #18510

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,395

QUOTE (Causmicfire @ Oct 29 2009, 01:00 AM) *
QUOTE (Turdaewen @ Oct 28 2009, 09:01 AM) *
You know this whole 'supporting/help me' is very Arakawa like, if you think it through.

I'm not sure if anyone else here is familiar with the other Arakawa's works, but, me myself, I'm a HUGE fan of Arakawa's and I've read practically everything she's ever done. And, many of the times, she establishes something like a Roy/Riza relationship.

It's very interesting how Arakawa puts the women behind the leaders in her mangas as if they were a sort of fortress for the men. *.*
Very cute!

I think she's very big on the protector/protected(supporter/supported) where the roles often reverse kind of relationships, too.

"Behind every great man, is a (even) great(er) woman"....yeah, that would be a view I can see Arakawa holding. Though, in this day and age, I can see people wanting to say beside instead of behind.

As for the kiss topic, I really don't see it happening, and would prefer it not to, but I'm the type of person who like the "leave it to the imagination" endings with novels/games/stories in general [i]The Giver[/b] being the book that hooked me on them.

Not only that, but I feel it would be out of character, she wouldn't want to kiss him with her last breaths, but to remind him he needs to keep going. I'd rather see that than a farewell kiss.

Welcome to our thread BlindDetective, I hope you enjoy your stay.

Yeah... I agree with you on that: is more beside than behind, which is even better.

And, to be truly honest, It's kinda hard for me to look at FMA as a shounen, because 90% of the shounen around a TRULY superficial in all senses of the word.
Arakawa really develops her characters as real people, and not just in regards to power or action or even relationships as most shounens do. She brings elements to her story I haven't seen in any other shounen around (not even in Inuyasha, which is another anime I don't know where to put, since I know more girls than boys who like it)
So, I don't think there's any problem in having a romance in FMA because FMA is not about 'action', is about all aspects of life. And being about ALL aspects of life, it means it won't turn out to be a shoujo EITHER, because kissing and saying "I love you" is not what this is all about, either.

I guess the first thing is to try to see that not every anime has to fall into a single category as to: if is not a shounen, is a shoujo, or a seinen or any other stereotypes we see around, cause none of them define FMA, nor many of the greatest animes I've ever seen: most of them are great BECAUSE they don't belong anywhere, but 'form a genre of itself', as Cowboy Bebop well put it... It takes these mangas farther from 'just entertainment or marketing' and brings them closer to art, it and for itself., which indeed they are.

So I don't see any problems in having a romantic moment in FMA, just as I don't see a problem with them dealing with something as heavy as a dictatorship. It's not going to be like a shoujo romance because this is not a shoujo, but just the same, the action in FMA is not like it is in most shounens because FMA is hardly a shounen itself.

So, my point is, since FMA is sorta 'one of a kind', we shouldn't expect it to be "shounen-like" nor "shoujo-like", but more of "Arakawa-like".

--------------------

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
"By the power of truth I, while living, have conquered the universe"
Faust, Göethe

+Quote Post

1516 Pages V  « < 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2016 - 01:35 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css