HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Thread for EdxWin Fans who had finished reading/watching FMA Manga/FMA:Brotherhood, Warning! Please do NOT click if you haven't seen series final
Tombow
post Jun 12 2010, 09:40 AM
Post #16

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

The actual discussions start below. smile.gif

Now that you have read FMA manga chapter 108, the final chapter, please post your reflections/thoughts/opinions on the EdxWin pairing in the FMA manga on this thread. This of course can include your opinions and thoughts on Ed and Winry scenes in the chapter 108, what is there, and/or what is not included in the concluding chapter, etc.....

We also welcome your thoughts and comments on the EdxWin relationship as a whole in the series, what it means in your opinion, and your opinions of the relationship now that you know how it stands at the end of the series, etc.

Note: This thread is created specifically for EdxWin fans to post EdxWin related discussions upon the conclusion of FMA manga series. And therefore....
If you have comments on the ending of the series OTHER THAN EdxWin related content, please post that on FMA Manga Ending: Your Thoughts On How The Series Has Concluded thread.
Or, if you have GENERAL COMMENTS on the CONTENT of chapter 108, please post that on Chapter 108, The Final Chapter, Content Discussion Thread.
And, please AVOID any OFF-TOPIC comments and discussions on this thread.

Also please note that:
As with any and all of our FMA character discussion threads, please STAY AWAY from posting any dissing of other FMA pairings, or 'shippers of such pairings. If you happen to forget and make any such comments, please do not mind that the board staff may Delete/Edit such comments with or without any further notice. We hope to see this thread to be used for the meaningful discussions about this wonderful pairing in the series, and not the dissing and trashing of other pairings/shippers. biggrin.gif

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Jun 12 2010, 11:45 AM
Post #17

Moderator Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,466

Well, where exactly do I begin?

When I first discovered Fullmetal Alchemist, I had recently started University. In total there were 5 of us from one school attending the same University, and two of my companions were Edward and Al (albeit Alex) both of whom were taking science courses. At the time, I was completely and utterly besotted with my Edward, and my feelings were never returned to quite the same level. I became devoted to this couple in a strange hope their love would pull through.

In this case of course, it never did, and my poor little heart broke when I realised my desperate hope we'd live happily ever after was as fruitless as Winry's turned out to be.

I had begun to follow the manga, but until I had seen CoS I didn't pay a great deal of attention. Pathetic as it is to admit, when I saw "I might have fallen for him a long time ago" I was utterly hooked. Though that was the reason it really caught my eye on went on to appreciate the manga as a far greater representation of the FMA world than that first anime had offered.

I won't go on about the "inbetween", but from then till now I have always had hope for this couple. Unlike the shallow reasons I had in the anime phase, to me I could easily justify exactly why this pairing would happen in the manga. Apart from the fact there would be no reason to suggest it if it were going to be for nothing, for me they always represented the end, the conclusion.

Edward's raison d'etre was to get his brother's body back. What were we to give to Edward once he had achieved this? Family ultimately was what mattered most to him and this was most certainly proven when he gave up his alchemic skills to get his brother back. As far as we are lead to believe, he spent two years being any other 16 year old. Of course that was never going to be enough, he is a wanderer, but a wanderer who always had a home to return to. Winry is that home, more than the physical place itself. The poor girl lost nearly everyone she held dear when Ed and Al left and though it may have taken her a while, she learned to wait for them ever with the hope they would return to her. Waiting for Edward became her own raison d'etre and she, in the end, is rewarded for it.

I think, what this couple sums up for me, is that love will cover time and distance if you have enough of it. All Edward ever did was look out for others, so why shouldn't he become a Father? Al grew and no longer needed him, but he needs people to need him. He travelled knowing he had someone to love him when he returned, and now he has a wife and children who need him.

Plenty more to say, no more needs to be said. How Arakawa handled their pairing has always been spot on for me. No passionate kiss, no bended knee, but geeky argumentative devotion.

Sorry for the essay.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Jun 12 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #18

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

^ That's actually quite sweet. I liked the "essay".

Also for me, one of the reasons I kept reading the manga was because I thought they would end up together in the manga. It was probably, no definitely, the biggest reason I hated the ending to CoS. Because of how they handled Ed and Winry. I hated that they pushed Rose on in the end and I hated that Noah, someone who had never showed up in the series AT ALL got him in the end, causing all of the people arguing over whether he would end up with Winry or Rose's heads to explode. It was quite retarded indeed. But I digress...
I hate to say it, but I was once an Ed fangirl. It was when I was in 6th and 7th grade, but it happened all the same. I can't deny it. I hated Winry, because I was at the time unfortunately insane. Over time though, I don't know how, but I grew to love Winry as I read the manga. And I thought, "Wow, she's a cool character after all!" because apparently the animation team for the first series HATED Winry, finding out how cool she was in the manga was all new to me. *shrugs* Anyhoo, I have LOVED watching this couple grow throughout the years. I have found it both hilarious and touching. And yeah, it was foreseeable that they would end up together, but I love that they did. I don't care that it wasn't unexpected, I actually did a little squee when reading that part of the last chapter. smile.gif

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
Dearheart
post Jun 13 2010, 01:32 AM
Post #19

Alchemists

Member No.: 64,903

OKAY. I have GOT to gush about this. (WARNING: LOADS OF FANGIRLING AHEAD.)

THE EDWIN. OH GOD, THE EDWIN. It's ABOUT TIME you owned up, Edward! Sure took you long enough... <.<

But THE PROPOSAL. THE HUG. THE BABIES! I was somewhere between crying, laughing and squealing in fangirly joy at that part. Seriously, I think my inner fangirl just died and went to heaven. I KNEW Ed and Winry would get the happy ending they deserved, I just KNEW IT. What I didn't know was that Arakawa would dish out so much of it! I'm practically eating it all up with a spoon! I'm rolling in it like catnip! Oooohhhh, the EdWin...so good...nom nom nom...

(Of course, I shouldn't be surprised. Ed IS the main protagonist, and Her Cowness has been dishing out tons of epic Royai goodness in all the other chapters, so it's only fair.) =P

And the best part of it is, there's still plenty of room for speculation, and the proposal scene wasn't shallow or OOC or mushy AT ALL. Only Arakawa could pull off something like that so brilliantly. The whole thing was so perfectly in-character with both of them, and so adorable and sweet without feeling the least bit saccharine-y. Count on our geeky ex-alchemist to compare it to equivalent exchange. (And count on our resident automail freak to totally turn it on it's head.) biggrin.gif I loved how Ed's jaw just hit the floor at Winry's answer, and how she got all flustered, and then he just started laughing and laughing...they're both such dorks. wub.gif biggrin.gif

And THE HUG. I KNEW THERE WOULD BE AN EDWIN HUG. And this is a smaller detail, but I loved the two things Ed said to her during the hug: 1) She made him feel cheered and energized. 2) He'll see her later. That's almost the whole relationship in a nutshell, right there. Seeing the undertones of their friendship and support for each other throughout the scene was just wonderful. *sighs* EdWin is such a marvelous pairing... <333

The ONLY thing that would've made the scene even more perfect for me is if Al had been with Ed on the train, glanced out the window and saw the whole thing. And then when Ed sits next to him as the train pulls out, Al says, "It's about time." And then Ed elbows him in the ribs and retorts "Shut up! And quit smirking!" "I TOLD you, but nooooo..." "Are you trying to pick a fight??" "Oh please, we both know I'd win in a heartbeat." biggrin.gif Or something along those lines.

And I still can't get over the epicness of that EdWin/AlMei picture at the end with the babies and the WEDDING RING ON HIS FINGER ALKJFALSDA.HKADFKHJ ED'S A DAD NOW wub.gif In my crazy head, the baby Winry's holding is a girl and they've named her "Nina", and Ed the Superdad now specializes in teaching his son alchemy and scaring monsters out from under his daughter's bed. =3 And Winry trains Nina to hit him with wrenches and does naughty things with the wiring in his automail leg. (I TOTALLY NEED TO MAKE A FANFIC OUT OF THIS...)

And yes, I'll stop being ridiculous and go to bed now... tongue.gif

--------------------

Dear pain, it's been a long time.
Remember when you were holding me tight?
I would stay awake with you all night...

~ -:- ~
Ed art by NellaTheFairy on deviantART.
EdWin lovers, click here!

+Quote Post
Yikie
post Jun 13 2010, 08:22 AM
Post #20

Citizen

Member No.: 66,339

Yay! I've coloured The Hug ^w^! Hope you guys like it!

http://yikie-chan.deviantart.com/art/Edwin...r-108-167495348

+Quote Post
RoyxRizaFan
post Jun 13 2010, 02:47 PM
Post #21

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 54,333

We've all been waiting for this ever since Winry looked out into the sunset, thinking quietly of the time she had first fallen in love with Edward. Obviously, we'd all had our fingers crossed looong before that, but it was reasurrance that we weren't imaging things - that the first anime was a joke, and we could just forget it ever happen. Especially that CoS thing. THAT hug has NOTHING on this one!!!!!

I was looking for a confession towards the end of the chapter, glancing at the number of pages left and asking myself, "How is Arakawa going to fit this is, and how is she going to pull it off in an IC way?" I mean, Edward Elric confessing his feelings? How much would THAT take? How the hell would HE do THAT?

And then it happened, so IC and so brilliant that their entire relationship seemed to be wrapped up in one scene, with a pretty ribbon place in half. I mean, comparing it so equivalent exchange? Coming out and PROPOSING? That's even better than a love confession! It was so sweet, so funny, and they made BABIES!!! I was so excited, and I still am! It was the perfect conclusion to one of the best couples in shounen manga. I love the thought of them as parents - it's funny to think of them raising kids together!

Nice coloring job, Yikie! Really beautiful work!

--------------------

Avatar by Michiyo and signature by me.
Fan Fiction, Fan Art
FMAobsessed Wrote:
Bradley: "Oh by the way I made Breda my personal assistant."
Roy: "WHAT NO! I AM IN IMMENSE SHOCK!"

+Quote Post
Animeoldtimer
post Jun 15 2010, 11:50 AM
Post #22

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 8,503

I really loved this ending(aside from the missing Royai), but I must confess I was surprised. I thought it might end with an apple pie scene, but I thought Arakawa would keep things open as to what would happen to Ed and Winry in the end. I wasn't surprised as much about the hug as I was of the picture with their kids. What a great conclusion! Ed being so much taller than her was cute too.

--------------------
"Funny how you can say something in your head and it sounds fine... "--The Doctor

+Quote Post
lunneth
post Jun 15 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #23

Alchemists

Member No.: 43,587

i think the way arakawa handeled the paring was actually very natual. i think that it's a bit cliche to leave it to the end but then it would get boring. i think the "proposal" (crappy spelling i think) obviously indictaed they were in a relationship (well no duh lunneth) but i think that it was also a way to deal with fangirls who were obsessed with ed. i don't think arakawa has really dissapointed fans much but i think that if there was a kiss then there would have been complaints from elricest/edroy/edrose etc. i think that the pairing was interesting and it was fun with the squables and everything. it was obvious it would happen though. although there may have been a shred of doubt in my mind on the first look at the pages when we got them. i think the family shot was an incredibly powerful reference. funny thing is though winry elric dosen't sound too right XD
anyway. enough of my rambling on the logic and fun of it. i think arakawa did them both justice and ed keeping the leg probably kept them closser smile.gif

--------------------

persona rp: [url="http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12717"]
thankyou Arakawa sensei for the 9 years of awsome story lines, characters and plot twists that became Fullmetal Alchemist. it's been one hell of a ride :3

+Quote Post
Whazup
post Jun 15 2010, 07:31 PM
Post #24

Citizen

Member No.: 74,420

I have always been an EdxWin fan. They just seem so great together, based on the fact that they mess with each other, as well as have cute moments (the apple pie, "tears of happiness" on the train, the Winry/gun moment, etc.)

I also like the dynamics of Winry helping Ed walk with an automail leg, and in return Ed has saved her life on numerous occasions

+Quote Post
Hagane no Baka
post Jun 16 2010, 06:47 AM
Post #25

Citizen

Member No.: 66,287

I figured I might as well post the fanart from the last chapter with Al, Ed & Winry. I think it's really beautiful. Enjoy!

Ed Al Winry

P.S. There's another pairing oriented fanart in the Royai thread^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Jun 16 2010, 08:36 AM
Post #26

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

I was dieing of cuteness in the end XD Haha, I've allways loved edwin, unlike quite a few people I didn't hate her in the first anime (I DESPISED Rose though and Noah, i waaaaaay preferred winry to them) but I was quite indifferent to her character, I wanted to ship edwin, but i didn't feel there was evidence to warrent it, and i don't like supporting pairings unless they are canon, but omg i love them if they are and i like both characters XD Anyway I allways been a loyal edwin supporter ever since I got into the manga really, it is so cuuuuuute, and I was so surprised at how much edwin we got at the end XD Them gettin married and havin kids, gawd arakawa made our suffering that it was the final chapter a little nicer to cope with haha, I DIED of the cuteness, and Ed's proposal was just adorable haha, and not edwin, but i LOVE almei and I was so delighted that they were practically an official pairing in the last chapter XD I was so happy, mei was in the family photo thats alll the evidence i need nya-ha-ha-ha-ha

--------------------

+Quote Post
Meu
post Jun 17 2010, 07:27 AM
Post #27

Citizen

Member No.: 55,344

I went through a million different scenes for them in my mind before the final chapter, wondering what would be IC, not too out-of-nowhere... what would be too mushy...
And this? Never once crossed my mind, which isn't a surprise seeing how perfect the scene is. Ed, you geek, talking about equivalent exchange... and Winry too, getting all flustered! Those two deserve that hug.
I have a weird thing for them blushing. o_o

I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned it here on the forums, but I'm an insane EdWin fan, too. <3

QUOTE (Lunneth elric @ Jun 15 2010, 02:00 PM) *
i funny thing is though winry elric dosen't sound too right XD

I'm 100% sure she'll keep her own name. She's a Rockbell woman, damnit!
Winry Rockbell Elric. Any better?

I'm considering doing some fanart since the story ended ^__^ I don't draw fanart too often, and it would be thrilling to do some for the cutest couple in any manga! Too bad my access to a scanner is a bit... limited.

+Quote Post
Kaori Ayanami
post Jun 17 2010, 05:39 PM
Post #28

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,575

What can I say? If the babies thing went on besides that photo, it would feel like too much for me, but it wasn't. The only thing I could complain about is that Winry does look way too young in the babies photo, but that would be all. Other than that, perfect closure, right even from the words they used to the amount of blushing. XD

+Quote Post
rzerox21xx
post Jun 20 2010, 08:10 PM
Post #29

Alchemists

Member No.: 69,867

Funny how its father day and Ed became a Father in the final chapter very shortly ago. How about a Father day greeting to everyone's favorite automail glad alchemist here before the day ends, well I thought about it just now

special Happy Father day to the new member among the FMA fathers like Hughes, Hohenheim, Doctor Knox, Urey Rockbell,, ect. .......................HAPPY FATHER DAY TO EDWARD ELRIC

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/164..._by_na_na_o.png

by Nanao http://na-na-o.deviantart.com/

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/170...__by_FMA_PL.png

by FMA PLhttp://fma-pl.deviantart.com/

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/161...egaGraphics.png

by NoriegaGraphics
http://noriegagraphics.deviantart.com/

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/163...by_RoseMuse.jpg

by RoseMuse http://rosemuse.deviantart.com/

+Quote Post
Kaori Ayanami
post Jun 20 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #30

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,575

QUOTE (Hagane no Baka @ Jun 16 2010, 07:47 AM) *
I figured I might as well post the fanart from the last chapter with Al, Ed & Winry. I think it's really beautiful. Enjoy!

Ed Al Winry

To be honest, first thing I thought about when I saw the original picture was (while ignoring Al) the infamous "The wait was worth it". XD

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2016 - 12:28 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css