HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 5: Rain Of Sorrows - Content Discussion Thread,, Warning! Possible Spoilers for the first 5 episodes!
Trakonda
post May 3 2009, 03:02 PM
Post #31

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 52,583

QUOTE (Kasumisty @ May 4 2009, 12:45 AM) *
Or maybe he fell asleep...

That gave me good laughs. XD I could totally imagine that:

Al: "Brother! Get up! Run away!"
Ed: "Zzzzzz...."

But yeah, it definitely must have been the shock. I would be like that too, if such thing happened to me. D: That's actually what I loved with this episode - it made Ed feel more natural. He IS just just a 15-year old kid who just was confronted by a killer, after all. Anyone would feel vulnerable at that point. o.o
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Haineko
post May 3 2009, 03:09 PM
Post #32

Citizen

Member No.: 68,002

I can't get over how gorgeous the animation is O.o (even though there were some weird faces occasionally, but it didn't bother me that much). Some thoughts:

- Liked the addition of Al in the room when Ed wakes up. It adds a nice dynamic of having an observer witness Ed's grief.
- Missed Hughes's snarky "Are you telling me to put this corpse on trial?" line, but it wouldn't have made sense because he was investigating Scar, and I would gladly take more Hughes screentime over snark. Although Hughes will have plenty of snark later on, so I'm comforted.
- Also loved how the animators depicted how the riots in Liore started, it all tied together very nicely and made perfect sense. In the manga, it just seemed like Envy was randomly playing dress-up, but here it actually serves a purpose. Nicely done! Envy's voice was also spot-on PERFECT. Fantastic casting there. Not loving Gluttony's voice as much, I hope the whole dementia in his voice is toned down, and the cuteness aspect cranked way up.
- I was expecting that poor soldier to appear before Ed and Al, so it was really surprising to see ZOMGSCAR!! suddenly standing right there. I liked the sequence with the silence, then the clock chiming, and Al pulling Ed to safety. He's done that twice already, huh? Thank you, animators, for making Al awesome again.
- OMG THE STAIR SEQUENCE! I was going, Oh Snap! the whole time ^^
- The breaking of Al's armor and Ed's arm didn't have as much impact as the last series, IMO, but still nicely done. I also didn't like the way Ed was just laying there pitifully on the ground the whole time, even after Mustang-tachi arrived, but that's about the only thing that really bothered me this episode.
- The USELESS! scene was fantastic, as mentioned by others ^^
- As for why the military didn't just shoot Scar when he was completely surrounded, well... I agree it's a bit unrealistic but I'm assuming they didn't want to have Ed and Al get caught in the scuffle as well. They were also trying to capture Scar, not kill him, I believe, hence Riza only tried to wound him.

Overall, another great episode! Not as good as the last one, personally, but definitely the second best so far. I'm also worried about the next episode... the pacing wasn't too bad here, but I'm afraid to see what'll happen when they attempt to cram a naturally slow expository chapter together with another chapter that's stuffed with plot. At this rate, Hughes is gonna be dead by the time we hit episode 10 XDD

+Quote Post
mira mirth
post May 3 2009, 03:17 PM
Post #33

Citizen

Member No.: 44,190

QUOTE (Trakonda @ May 4 2009, 01:02 AM) *
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ May 4 2009, 12:45 AM) *
Or maybe he fell asleep...

That gave me good laughs. XD I could totally imagine that:

Al: "Brother! Get up! Run away!"
Ed: "Zzzzzz...."

That explains so much! Ed, plagued by horrible nightmares, finally manages to get some shut-eye - only to be woken up by inconsiderate soldiers. Honestly, the nerve of those ruffians!

... Yeah, okay, I do agree that he's in shock. It's just very odd to see Ed, of all people, reduced to being so utterly useless. Besides, I'd expect him to have been in a few dangerous situations before now, if the thing with Cornello is anything to go by. Perhaps it's the fact that he's specifically targeted by a maniac and finds himself without his trusty Automail. And he's in the middle of an Nina-angst, anyway, so it's a bad time...

+Quote Post
Sword Alchemist
post May 3 2009, 05:30 PM
Post #34

Alchemists

Member No.: 17,591

Such an awesome episode. I like this Scar much better than the first anime's Scar. I like how Roy's crew is more protective of Ed. I see Roy as much more of a father figure towards Ed then I did in the last anime.

So we get to see an older Winry next episode. And Marcoh too. I wonder if they're going to combine the Risembool and Marcoh episodes.

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post May 3 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #35

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

QUOTE (Sword Alchemist @ May 3 2009, 08:30 PM) *
Such an awesome episode. I like this Scar much better than the first anime's Scar. I like how Roy's crew is more protective of Ed. I see Roy as much more of a father figure towards Ed then I did in the last anime.

So we get to see an older Winry next episode. And Marcoh too. I wonder if they're going to combine the Risembool and Marcoh episodes.

I personally think that it would be better to do the Risembool story line FIRST, just because it would flow better. I just thought it was weird how in the manga, after the Marcoh told them where they needed to go to Central, they were so excited about it. They were like, "Next stop, CENTRAL!..... But first we need to stop at Risembool and learn stuff about the past." Maybe it would be better if the order went like this:
1. Battle
2. Get things fixed up
3. Go to Marcoh
4. Go to Central
Instead of:
1. Battle
2. Go to Marcoh
3. Get things fixed up
4. Go to Central

The order was just all.... jee-wockered, ya know?

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
Anakishi
post May 3 2009, 06:15 PM
Post #36

Citizen

Member No.: 67,896

BTW, did anyone else think Ed looked a bit retarded there, when he met Scar?
"Oh, my. This is bad. I gotta run. This is bad. Bad..." - Alphonse, run!
That made sense in the manga, when he was "woken up" by the clock, but this time, it kinda reminds me of Homer Simpson when he was called "slow"...

--------------------
- Goodbye, FMA, please help me find the strength to move on and get stronger, too!! ^^
- If I don't answer your reply, it could be because:
1) I'm too busy to turn on my computer.
2) I got shy, and didn't come back to the discussion.
3) I hate you, and I'd rather ignore you.
4) Your point got me speechless, congratz!

+Quote Post
Sword Alchemist
post May 3 2009, 06:25 PM
Post #37

Alchemists

Member No.: 17,591

Winry looked like such a dork in those goggles at the end. Hehehe.

Am I the only one liking the fact that these series doesn't have a Hughes overkill like the last series? Or the fact that none of those filler episodes such as Psiren, Tringham Brothers, or even the ever popular Flame Vs. Fullmetal doesn't exist.

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post May 3 2009, 06:40 PM
Post #38

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

More composed thoughts on the episode:

As an adaptation of the source material, the episode was excellent. The pacing was a tad hurried, but it felt more natural than the third episode, and was really just fast compared to the last, which was more word-heavy than action-packed. Little bits like Ed's nightmare, Alphonse telling Edward that they should survive to help more people like Nina, and the Ishbal flashbacks were well-appreciated.

A problem I had with the episode was that Scar just sort of appeared. In the manga, a soldier comes up to them and warns the brothers, and falls victim to Scar. This is necessary because the soldier is the reason Scar knows who Ed is and it shows exactly Ed what he's about to try to do to him.

The animation was all over the place, though. It felt like little emotional moments like Ed with Al in the alley when Al was scolding Ed were better animated than some of the action sequences. When Roy was talking with Armstrong and Hughes, there were some off-model moments. In fact, any time Riza appeared she looked different than before. I was disappointed that the episode wasn't well-animated throughout, because the material certainly deserved it.

The music is improving steadily. It's not as stand-out as Oshima's tracks, but at the same time, it compliments the scenes without obstructing it, so it serves its purpose. The voice acting is pretty good, too: Envy's new VA sounds a little less devious for now, but it's Dilandau's VA, so I'm sure she'll cut loose with him later on. Scar's new VA is so excellent, I like him just as much as the previous. Lust's is okay. I can't get use to Gluttony's new VA, though. I've gotten used to Shinichiro Miki's Roy.

It somewhat falls sort of the built up tension in the first series, though. We found out so much in episodes 14 and 15 of that series, and in the midst of a lot of action, without it seeming like people were just standing around talking while they should have been in action like here. I mean, really, with that many soldiers there, they couldn't have immobilized Scar? In the first series, Scar used his skills to scatter the troops. And Ed didn't put up as much of a fight here, either.

A good episode, but it didn't have as much impact as I thought it should have.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
sidekick.kep37
post May 3 2009, 06:48 PM
Post #39

Alchemists

From: The lair where the Sidekicks hang on their down time
Member No.: 67,873

@ Sword Alchemist I am so happy those fillers don't exist here.... I mean the Flame v. FullMetal was cool and all that jazz, but... I dunno. Maybe they should throw a remake of that in the dvd or something..... Yeah, that last sentence came out of nowhere.

My thoughts in order:
-In the dream scene, I initially thought Ed was a girl cuz... he walked like one and the hair was, like, kid-Winry length...
-Whoa!.... What a creepy dream.... -shivers- Never thought the "thing" would pop up...
-Oh, poor Al. Sitting there, by himself at night cuz he can't sleep, reading. Super brotherhood moment right there
-Whoa, Al looks weird. And Hawkeye too. Oh no, it really is like the Anime1 artists work! Agh, I hate when Riza has super ginormica eyes.
-Scar... popped out of nowhere. I was looking forward to the MP getting blown up, but oh well.
-@ Anakishi Yes, I thought Ed was a bit retarded sounding at the "gotta run run run run run" part.
-Agreed. Military popped out of nowhere. And did Scar really just leave Ed like that just for Roy?
-OH!! OH! WHOA! HAWKEYE FTW!!!!! I replayed that "hawkeye's special attack" scene over and over again. She practically horizontally cartwheeled that. I'm in love with that scene....
-Aw, I was hoping Hawkeye would get another scene full of win, but the camera angle for the rifle shot wasn't exactly like it was in the manga. Oh well, can't have everything.
-Ed and Al's moment was super touching. I loved it. Music was awesome and when thesun came out, it looked like a painting. Very nice.
-Wait, Resembool and Marcoh together? OH jeez, that's going to be going like a 5000000 mph episode.
-Hey, Winry's eyes are super blue!

Overall, I thought it was alright. The pace was good... I thought it flowed decently, but not super great. Give it something betwen a 7.5 and 8.4.

+Quote Post
crazyanimefan
post May 3 2009, 07:10 PM
Post #40

Apprentice

Member No.: 64,696

New episode was pretty good. Not as good as Nina, but still good.

I agree with many previous posts that Ed was perhaps a little TOO vulnerable, like just laying there, but I suppose he was rather angsty this episode, so I'll let that slide. I'm a tad disappointed since Riza was constantly changing. I wish the animation was more consistant with her character. My favorite part was Al scolding Ed. It was very manga-esque and I appreciate it. It made me very emotional. Scar suddenly appeared, which was odd, but the animation was done pretty well.

The Homunculi part in Lior was great. I liked the reference to sacrifice, which will come in very nicely as the series progresses. Also, the Lior riots was a nice touch. I adore Envy's new VA and have high hopes since it is Dilandau, one of my favorite characters from one of my favorite animes. I do not like Gluttony's voice. It grates on my ears.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jen_Elric
post May 3 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #41

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 9,551

Well, I just really enjoyed this episode! The pacing was fine to me. I didn't even notice if the pacing was fast.
The dream was CREEPY!! I was totally creeped out when Nina and Alexander morphed into the chimera.
Oh my, Ed is sexy there with his hair down.><
It WAS strange that Scar just appeared! One second he's not there , then POOF!
I was not at ALL bothered by Ed's pause before finally running. You guys have to understand that he was so deep in his mind, thinking about his sorrow, that when he realized that Scar was going to kill him, he tried to make his legs move. He was just that terrified. If you were deep in thought, and someone just put a gun in your face, you wouldn't run right away. You would be frozen stiff by terror, until your brain sent down the message to MOVE.
I LOVE Hawkeye! hehe, her "useless" comment to Roy was awesome.
I thought the animation was good, but not consistent.

I can't wait for the next one, but I hope they won't rush through it. But hey! Get to see Marcoh!! happy.gif

--------------------

Phyco-girl made my siggy! She's so cool! ^_^
My Family! (Wanna join the Elric family? Please PM me and I'll add you to the family list!)
Little Sisters: ~.:Anime Gal:.~, ~FMAgurl~, Kit, Azura Elric, chocolate_eds_everywhere, Kakashi's#1 girlfriend, FullMetalAlchemist01FAN, Kal Rommel
Brothers:«°~Envy™~°», Mustang's apprentice, niagra flame, Jamal Mana alchemist, bloodlust alchemist

+Quote Post
CrystalMoonKiss
post May 3 2009, 08:01 PM
Post #42

Citizen

Member No.: 62,553

QUOTE (Sword Alchemist @ May 3 2009, 06:30 PM) *
I like how Roy's crew is more protective of Ed. I see Roy as much more of a father figure towards Ed then I did in the last anime.

I loved that feeling wink.gif

I thought it was an amazing episode. The art was beautiful (but inconsistent, though) and I didn't feel it too rushed. I love that they are keeping the manga humor.

I'm worried about the next episode as well, but I guess a lot of us are in the same boat biggrin.gif

PS. Out of lurking, sorry to intrude happy.gif

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post May 3 2009, 08:05 PM
Post #43

Apprentice

Member No.: 31,830

I was a bit disappointed by this episode. I enjoyed the humour (Hughes "freakshow" stuff, Armstrong in general) and I was still moved by Ed and Al's story in it, but it was still a big letdown after last week.

I wanna mention the good choral music when Ed and Al are talking. It was in a previous episode too. I'm guessing this is like the new "Brothers".

QUOTE (penguintruth @ May 4 2009, 02:40 AM) *
A problem I had with the episode was that Scar just sort of appeared. In the manga, a soldier comes up to them and warns the brothers, and falls victim to Scar. This is necessary because the soldier is the reason Scar knows who Ed is and it shows exactly Ed what he's about to try to do to him.
I know. I much preferred the manga version of that, because it was just far better dramatically. Not only does it set up Scar in front of the boys and such, but Roy dispatching people makes him seem a fair bit smarter as well.

I was also a little irked by the fight scenes. I didn't mind some of the extra stuff, but I don't like that whole pillar hopping thing Ed has been doing in the original fight scenes (episode 1 did it notably). It's just too OTT for FMA.
Though Armstrong versus Scar was handled well and is suited to being over the top.

Where was the mandatory shot of Ed falling in slow motion with the look of surprise and horror on his face as his automail is blown up?
I know we've seen it in the manga and the original anime and pieces of art, but not only is it very cool, but it's a fairly important moment.
I just didn't like how they handled this scene. There were a lot of opportunities for better cinematography and such. (such as the shot in the manga of Al trying to crawl at them)

I was rather annoyed by the whole scene with the military though. Roy and Scar's original dialogue was better in the manga.
Scar's bullet dodging was way too ridiculous and well, slow. Hawkeye missing him from that close makes about zero sense. Never mind the rest of the military being there.
I think the old anime handled that a LOT better. And made Hawkeye's first badass moment a lot more badass. (even if it was less than like the manga)

I also noticed the art didn't seem to look as good this week, but I can't at all put my finger on why. Or as accurately as any of you guys have.

Oh, and I was surprised to see it spelt Ishval. I though Ishbal was the accepted one now.

Also, I've decided to start rereading the manga along with the show. After each episode. I just caught up this week and read these Scar chapters just nowish.
(and I realise I'm about three weeks late here, but double-u tee eff was with Cornello turning into a monster?!)

--------------------
I made a blog about things.
(Disclaimer: blog may also contain stuff)
Please take a look. I'd appreciate any comments.

+Quote Post
Radadinator
post May 3 2009, 08:38 PM
Post #44

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,706

QUOTE (Vagrant @ May 3 2009, 08:05 PM) *
I wanna mention the good choral music when Ed and Al are talking. It was in a previous episode too. I'm guessing this is like the new "Brothers".

Yeah, I was thinking this too. I think I heard a different, instrumental version of this choral music around the part in Episode 3 when Al was talking with Rose, so I'm guessing that if they made a second version of it, it's probably the new "Brothers".

Scar could've easily killed Ed off before going after Mustang, but I suppose he saw a bigger threat in Mustang, while Ed was busy fainting from hypothermia due to the rain and shock. And the soldiers probably didn't want to risk shooting while Scar was in close combat with Mustang, Hawkeye, and Armstrong.

+Quote Post
Tezrath
post May 3 2009, 09:05 PM
Post #45

Citizen

Member No.: 68,129

Hey, all

Thought I would post my theories on a couple of the 'odd' moments of this ep that everyone keeps commenting about

Odd scene 1) Ed lying there helplessly as Scar reaches to kill him

For starters, as everyone has been pointing out, he's pretty much in shock. He's all angst ridden that he couldn't do anything to help a little girl, Al has had his armor ripped appart and can't move, and lets face it: without his automail arm Ed is pretty helpless against Scar. His confidence in himself is pretty much shot at that moment. He has no reasonable belief that he can fight Scar off. His choices are to stay and be killed--whether he tries to fight without an arm or alchemy, chooses not to fight--or run. And he refuses to leave Al. Can't say that he was really thinking straight but he chooses death in return for Scar's promise that he leave his brother alone. Scar agrees... and so Ed lays there awaiting his 'fate'

... which of course is why Al is yelling at him after Scar flees. LOVED that moment--especially the look of shock and incomprehension on Ed's face biggrin.gif

Odd scene 2) Scar leaving Ed alive and turning to the military

Makes perfect sense to me. Ed is not a threat. He is laying there (pathetically, I might add) and was waiting for the death that Scar decreed for him (in return for sparing his brother). After dealing with the meddling troops Scar no doubt feels confident that Ed will still be there. He won't leave his brother, he can't use alchemy with his arm destroyed, and Al can't leave either with his damage. In other words, they are going nowhere. More important to Scar is hearing Mustang's name. That's when he steps away from Ed. Mustang is, after all, one of the 'war heroes' of the Ishval massacre... Thus Scar would undoubtably bear more of a grudge against him then against a kid that was 2 at the time the fighting began, and 9 when the actual massacre took place. Targeting Ed is because of the State alchemist certification. Targeting Mustang is personal.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2016 - 11:17 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css