How Did You Get To Know Fullmetal Alchemist?, Warning Potential Spoiler
Rating 5 V
Kirara
post Mar 22 2005, 05:38 PM
Post #16

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,267

I originally though FMA could possibly the sequel to Full Metal Panic. At the time I knew FMP was going to have a sequel but wasn't sure what it was called. As time went on I kept hearing about FMA and how great it was at various message boards I went to. I soon realized it had nothing to do with FMP. The synopsis of the series really interested me but since at the time I couldn't download the show I kind of didn't think much of it. Then I heard it was licensed by funimation and I got all excited about this series again looking up everything I could find about it. So the hype defintely effected me. Although I am not a big fan of dubs, I always liked funimation so that was another factor that added to my excitement.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yukina_Raven
post Mar 22 2005, 05:47 PM
Post #17

Alchemists

Member No.: 4,976

A good friend of mine gave me the entire fansubbed series on a mountain of CDs for my birthday. I was so out of it that day I thought he had given me the soundtrack and I just couldn't for the life of me understand why it took so many CDs... ^^;;; Then I finally understood and the stack sat in my room for weeks. He kept bugging me and bugging me to watch it, but I wasn't to interested. Then the series started airing on Adult Swim. I didn't actually sit down and watch an entire episode (I would flip channels instead) until about episode 9 or so. The whole plot with Nina had me hooked. Then I remembered I had the whole series.

So, during my two weeks off for Christmas, I snuck on the computer at 1 in the morning (I had been banned over the break due to bad grades) and began to watch it. There was no turning back. I finished it before the vacation had ended and have been loving it ever since. happy.gif

--------------------

(Sig copyrighted to Hikusa.)
Winter in Germany - POST SERIES! EdXWinry - Ed is trying to cope with his new life on the other side of the Gate. But now he must decide: Does he love Winry or her relfection? *COMPLETE*
My December - Sequel to 'Winter in Germany'; Ed returns after leaving again for 4 years after his return from the Gate. What awaits him is a very different place and a very broken Winry.
Brothers - A collection of short stories of Ed & Al's childhood. Implied EdXWinry.
Silkspun Dreams - Various EdxWinry one shots

+Quote Post
sharpieaddicted
post Mar 22 2005, 06:08 PM
Post #18

Citizen

Member No.: 7,975

i was watching adult swim very late, and i came across fullmetal alchemist on episode 5-"Dash! Auto-Mail" in the very beginning and i got hooked!!! edward is very hot. hahaha, anyways. i started stay up every saturday untill my cousin saw me watching and was like " oh! you watch fullmetal alchemist?? i can give you the whole series if you want."
wow what a great story.

--------------------
[center]user posted image[/center]

+Quote Post
Final_Fantasy898...
post Mar 22 2005, 06:37 PM
Post #19

Citizen

Member No.: 3,060

This is such a cool topic. I found FMA while flipping through the channels at 3AM sunday. I started at the third episode (later downloaded the first two). Anyway when it was over i saw the Square-Enix logo, and was like "no way". Makers of the Final Fantasy games are doin an anime, so I tuned in every saturday since.

FMA introduced me to Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, which is currently my favorite anime (scratch that, show). But FMA is tippin second!

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Son Goshin
post Mar 22 2005, 07:14 PM
Post #20

Citizen

Member No.: 10,221

well, first i heard of fullmetal alchemist was on another forum. i originally thought it was nobuhiro watsuki's new series, but i later found out his was called Armored Alchemist. so when FMA finally came on adult swim, i watched it, and it's friggin awesome! cool.gif this is quickly becoming one of my top favorite anime biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image

You are a fool! I'm going to crush you, and throw you into the wind!

+Quote Post
Elderberry
post Mar 22 2005, 07:32 PM
Post #21

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 726

My friend, Ryuuko-san, told me about the basic background information on the morning busride to school sometime around...January 2004, I think (the exact month is kind of fuzzy, but it was fairly early in the school year...). At the time, I wasn't especially intrigued, as I had no idea what the characters looked/sounded like (it would have been very different if she'd shown me a picture of Ed laugh.gif), and the names "Ed" and "Al" didn't seem very appealing to me...rolleyes.gif

After that, Hagaren kind of faded into the background of unwatched anime, until I downloaded 'Kesenai Tsumi' from an mp3 rotation site in May. I became obsessed with the song, but I didn't really look into the series...

In July, I went to a Chinese-organized summer camp, which turned out to be full of 3rd graders (dry.gif), but on my first day they showed an episode of Hagaren in the auditorium in the aftornoon (episode 3- I was a bit confused for a while on which one ended up in the armor...). The boy showing all the subtitled anime told us that we couldn't watch anymore after episode 3 because it would start getting very violent (riiiight)...

After that, I searched for Hagaren subtitled episodes on the Internet, and was only able to find a site with epsiodes 1-3, 28, 39, and 40 for download (at the time, episode 40 was the most recent). I also downloaded Hagaren manga scanlations from links offered on this site, which prevented me from being completely lost in the anime episodes I could find. I was very fortunately able to discover a website a few weeks later with all available episodes of Hagaren up for download. happy.gif

From episode 41 on, I basically followed the weekly releases of Hagaren through Bittorent. happy.gif And the rest is Hagaren fandom at this forum. tongue.gif

--------------------
- Moderator Emeritus -
Currently designated as Marvelous Mechanic of the P!MP Mobile for the GP.
I've taken Foolmetal-kun under my wing as my GP Deshi-in training.

+Quote Post
Envy's lil...
post Mar 22 2005, 08:11 PM
Post #22

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 7,890

I was at a small anime convention in November. I was wearing my Haruko (FLCL) costume and this girl dressed as Wrath came up to me and complemented my costume I told her I liked her costume too and asked who she was (it was a nice costume). She then began to tell me about FMA and I was intrigued.

I found it online and watched the first ten episodes the first night, it was like crack I was hooked! I watched as many episodes as I could each night.

So now I'm a total fan with a huge crush on Envy and a Lust costume in the making. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Hilde Knight
post Mar 22 2005, 08:15 PM
Post #23

Citizen

Member No.: 6,203

Last summer, a friend of mine did a lot of fan art of the series and it struck my interest. I left my computer on while I was in San Jose, California for 5 days, so when I returned I had 40 episodes of FMA to watch.

I don't think it was even 10 episodes into it and I was hooked. I sat down and watched about 25-30 episodes over the course of one weekend in September and absolutely loved it.

--------------------
Exceptionally bland and completely uninteresting signature here.

+Quote Post
LunarMoon
post Mar 23 2005, 07:03 PM
Post #24

Citizen

Member No.: 8,048

I actually feel as if I had been hearing about this since about 7 years ago. Obviously, it was being hyped up where I actually heard about it so I was pretty excited about it a few days before hand. Even with the preview it still seemed pretty bizarre. I decided to watch it and found that my guess was correct. It quickly became my favorite anime in one episode (episode 1). I first assumed that it took place in our world, only that it was one of those "lost science stories" after the first episode and that something bad only happened to the younger brother from the AS preview.

The first time I heard "Ready Steady Go", I considered it one of the episodes only flaws though the second time I heard the song (AS reshowing on that same day) I fell in love with it. I taped the episode on Thursday and actually kept rewinding it just to hear that segment.

+Quote Post
FullMetal_Alchem...
post Mar 25 2005, 11:54 AM
Post #25

Citizen

Member No.: 10,097

well, this is kinda embarassing, but my friend had just showed me the movie Full Metal Jacket the night FMA was gonna air. I hadnt even heard about it, but I thought it mighta been a good military story like Full Metal Jacket was, but it wasn't-IT WAS BETTER! Then I got hooked, and saw the whole series in Japanese. Now, I'm waiting for it to finish in English. I love FMA.

--------------------
"Shorty?! Could a shorty do this? What else do you wanna call me? A half-pint bean-sprout midgit? I'm still growing, you back-water desert idiots!"-Edward Elric

+Quote Post
angieness
post Mar 25 2005, 02:03 PM
Post #26

Apprentice

Member No.: 560

I heard about it through my college's anime club, around when the first episode came on one of the members brought a CD with the first 2 episodes. I was helping someone in the other room away at the time so I only saw a few minutes of it here and there but I remembered it. And then around when the show was in it's 20's I saw a pack of it on boxtorrents and decided on downloading the episodes. I'm happy I did ^^

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
darastrix
post Mar 25 2005, 05:38 PM
Post #27

Citizen

Member No.: 10,236

Hmm...Well, I wanted to see this show about a month in advance (I saw the previews), and as soon as I watched the first one, I knew it was the greatest anime ever (if you disagree, that's stupid because you're here, right?)!

So I've seen every one that's ever aired in Arizona, as far as I know. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein

When dealing with the insane, the best method is to pretend to be sane. -Hermann Hesse

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line. -Oscar Levant

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you. -Rita Mae Brown

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. -Bill Watterson

It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority. By definition, there are already enough people to do that. -G. H. Hardy

Lord, what fools these mortals be! -William Shakespeare

Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed. -Don Woo
user posted image

+Quote Post
Amon's Girl
post Mar 26 2005, 07:30 PM
Post #28

Citizen

Member No.: 10,489

i was waiting for inuyasha to come on so i just ended up watching it.as my luck would have it, it was the first episode! i had to know what happened next so i kept watching it and hear i am, i have not missed one show. so far anyway.

--------------------
IN MEMORY OF MAES HUGHES. GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN.

"I havent killed anyone in a while, I've started to miss it, wana WATCH?
Edward Elric

"Tonight I will name Lord Wyldon in my prayers. Tonight and every night until I am freed of this gods-cursed, reeky-armpit ratsbane camp.", said Kel. "You notice she didn't mention to whom those prayers might be adderssed.", Neal remarked."Given the rest of the statment I don't think they will be adderssed to any god of happiness.",Merric said.
Lady Knight,
by Tamora Pierce

" In a world without heroes, you make youre own."
Crusader
by Edward Bloor

"Young flesh," Neville said when he limped over to get Jenny's report. " You children bounced, us old folks broke."
The Buried Pyramid
by Jane Lindskold

+Quote Post
Hagane no Renzy
post Mar 26 2005, 07:37 PM
Post #29

Apprentice

Member No.: 8,256

I was watching AS (what else is new? tongue.gif ) and saw it's commercial for a new anime. I thought, "Hey, that kid (ed) looks a lot like Vash! I should watch it!" Stupid little me.

From the previews, I thought Ed's name would be something weird, with tons of "s"'s in it...weiiiiird.

And about a month ago I started downloading them and lookit me now...I saw the whole series. happy.gif

On another note: AL ROX!

--------------------
Quote of the Day:
"Zonkoku na tenshi no you ni...
Shonen yo shinwa ni nare..."
--Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cruel Angel's Thesis
Zio Animated Series
Zio the Matt! The comedy/action anime series created by me and my good friends! Episodes 1-8 complete...care to take a look? See them for free at the forums!
Mi Familia:
Kit- HELLO~!

+Quote Post
kungfustickman
post Mar 27 2005, 01:30 AM
Post #30

Citizen

Member No.: 2,204

Saw the raw on Saiyaman.info Thought it was a sequal to Fullmetal Panic so I downloaded it. Unfortunally I watched like episode 17 and got really confused. So I ignored it for a while until I watched episode 1 fansubbed. Took me like 30 seconds to get hooked.

--------------------
When I become the Fuhrer.....

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2016 - 11:46 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css