Joined: 2-February 06
Member No.: 30,518
Awesome episode, last minutes were even more epic thanks to background music, smart move with Envy spying the Xingeses, horse!Envy looked creepier, i think they changed it to make the spy scene easier, a horse would have been to big to not be noticed. LOL at Envy mentioning Ling fightinh Lust when never happened, considerable FAIL there! Neither could get Selim speech, but i dont dislike it . Next episode gonna be really awsum.
Joined: 10-June 09
Member No.: 69,408
just watched the sub, good episode, particually loved the ending and am enjoying the slower pace, im confused like hell though when did ling fight lust? was that just a screw up in the translation? i wasnt really listening haha, he didnt even attack lust in the manga did he...maybe envy was saying 'wrath' it sounds quite like 'lust' with the japanese pronociation, i think it must have been a mistranslation, the anime has its faults but things like that i doubt very much would happen, they added the envy spy scene to account for the ranfan transformation, so yeh i think he must have said 'wrath'
Joined: 15-May 09
Member No.: 68,794
Yeah, I'd put that down as the subber not paying attention. Because Ling never met Lust in the manga either. Should have been 'wrath' I'd guess
I thought the same, but I think that Envy really says "Lust".
QUOTE (Forsaken Love)
maybe envy was saying 'wrath' it sounds quite like 'lust' with the japanese pronociation, i think it must have been a mistranslation, the anime has its faults but things like that i doubt very much would happen, they added the envy spy scene to account for the ranfan transformation, so yeh i think he must have said 'wrath'
Mmm... maybe. But I heard "Lust" too
The extended Selim scene was overdone I thought. I mean; did we really need to hear him read the whole essay? I think not.
Well, I liked that part, with Selim that read and the combat scenes on the screen. Yeah, useless, but cool.
PS: I thought they would have reached the part of Envy's true form in this episode... it's a very good thing that they're slowing down.
Joined: 5-August 06
From: Under a rock
Member No.: 39,332
QUOTE (Radadinator @ Sep 20 2009, 07:20 PM)
Didn't really get why they had Selim read his paper over Ed and co's battle with homunculi. I'm guessing it had a deeper meaning that I'm too much of a fail to notice, or it's just Bones adding things in.
I think that scene had a two-fold significance. First of all, it was supposed to be a contrast between what a good ruler should be - caring for his people, brave, just, etc. - and the kind of king that Bradley really is underneath his mask: a creepy, evil dude who sends out his henchmen to scare, kill and generally cause mayhem. The other reason for the scene, I think, is that (spoilers for chapter 70 and up).Selim/Pride is trying to put Bradley/Wrath back in his place, after the latter's burst of "treachery" against Father. So, by "family values" and "daddy loves me," he means "one wrong move and I'll make sure you're screwed."
Joined: 10-July 09
From: Lincoln, Uk
Member No.: 70,019
Good episode this week with one rather minor problem in the grand scheme of things but I'll get to that:
- The scene with Marcoh worked well, and did it's job of telling the Brotherhood audience everything that the Manga audience had pretty much known at this point, plus Marcoh's 'giant transmutation circle' theory. Not surprised nor bothered that they cut Wrath telling Envy to go pick up Gluttony, as it wasn't 100% necessary and all it really did was show Envy's role as the eternal middle man of the Homunculus.
- Gluttony's voice has officially grown on me, I don't think the original voice would've worked nearly as well during his rampaging scene.
- I actually laughed at some moments during this episode, the humour used was near perfect.
- As was some of the animation.
- Changing Envy from Horse to Dog is an actual improvement. Mostly because as already pointed out, Envy spying on Ling and Lan Fan as a horse would've been a bit obvious, but also because I dunno, a dog makes more sense to me now I've seen it.
- Love Pride's voice, it's perfect.
- Like how they kept Envy sinking into the ground but he can perch on a tree branch with now effect on it whatsoever. Reminds me of the first opening...
- Re: what szarancza said about Selim's paper. I'd figured that Selim's use of the word 'father' was meant doubley (as it ALWAYS is) but I hadn't twigged that it was a warning until you said it. Glad they put it in to be honest, after they cut his scene from the Ling/Wrath Ed/Scar fights.
- Okay now to address the problem I have. Is Envy saying Wrath or Lust? It really, REALLY sounds like he says Lust at least the second time. Either that or he's saying 'Wrato' which would be fine if ANYONE else pronounced Wrath that way. Go back and listen to Pride, he doesn't put and 'o' on teh end. So I'm not sure if this is a screw up or just some Japanese grammar pecularity I don't understand. Either way it made me do a double take as, as pointed out, Ling hasn't so much as seen Lust let alone fight her.
- On reflection, Envy's conversation with Marcoh at the beginning about Hughes and what he does here by transforming into Lan Fan, really show alot about his character or at least they do when I look back having read up to date in the Manga. You'll see what I mean.
- Envy transforming into crippled Lan Fan makes more sense all around, but I still think it shows more of Ling's character to have her in the mask. The fact that Envy could transform into a version of Lan Fan where her face is obscured and it still makes him hesitate, shows how much Ling cares for Lan Fan.
- Okay what the hell is that conversation with Raven about Grumman about? I mean since when was he ever Soft-hearted? I'm really, really confused about that...
- Love the scene where Mustang realises the entire military command is corrupt and confronts Wrath, so good.
- Anyone else get series one vibes when Ed wakes up inside Gluttony's stomach? Maybe it was the music, I dunno.
- Oh Mr Narrator, ou make me giggle each week with your little 'nudge, nudge, wink, winks' to the Manga readers EVERY WEEK.
Joined: 10-June 09
Member No.: 69,408
lololol ye 'nudge nudge wink winks' im lookin sooo forward to seein envys true form animated, particually the colour scheme they'll use, they didnt really have a choice about masked ran fan vs unmasked (well they did if they chose not to skip xingese peoples vs homunculi but meh) and all in all I think they both worked well and didnt make too much of a difference, allthough as allways I prefer the manga line of events
Joined: 8-April 09
Member No.: 67,732
QUOTE (montyalbo @ Sep 20 2009, 09:38 PM)
Hey I was watching a sub and Envy mentioned Ling having the skills to match up against Lust. Problem is I don't remember Ling ever fighting Lust. Maybe Envy was referring to Wrath? Can someone clarify?
Ok now I'm watching different subs and they mention Wrath instead of Lust. I guess it was a mistake on the subber.
Joined: 7-August 09
Member No.: 70,497
QUOTE (Krokgard @ Sep 21 2009, 09:06 AM)
Mmm... maybe. But I heard "Lust" too
So did I first time through. But I realized that didn't make any sense, so I went back. The way they pronounce Wrath (rasu) and Lust (rusto) sound similar, so the translator fail'd hard rofl.
I really, really liked this episode. Made up for the disappointing Winry/Scar confrontation with the (awesome) flashback that kills the whole scene by making you feel for him instead of her, blablabla. Still, 24 episodes is kind of a long time it took for them to start getting the show right, since the pacing in this episode was awesome. Too bad they couldn't cover the manga in as much detail before, instead opting to butcher the Greed arc and omitting the 1st Xingese/Homunculus fight. But they covered up for the last one decently, so I guess it wasn't a huge loss.
Hope they can keep up the good pace for the show, and I hope, hope, hope Envy will be spectacularly animated next episode. None of their garbage studios that did ep. 7 and 16 and 17 kthx.
Joined: 7-April 09
Member No.: 67,706
QUOTE (KEKU @ Sep 21 2009, 02:23 PM)
Too bad they couldn't cover the manga in as much detail before, instead opting to butcher the Greed arc and omitting the 1st Xingese/Homunculus fight. But they covered up for the last one decently, so I guess it wasn't a huge loss.
Am I the only one who didn't particularly care or notice that they cut the Ling n' Ran Fan vs. Homunculi fight? .____. All I really remember from that scene was Ran Fan stabbing Gluttony...or Envy...somebody...in the eye. And Pride's appearance, but I like how they handled Pride's scene in this episode.
The Greed arc is unforgivable, though.
What color is Envy's true form, by the way?
Dog Envy looks kind of like a Scooby Doo from hell, no?
Joined: 12-March 05
Member No.: 9,551
Well. I think that the episodes have been consistently really good for a while now! and this episode is no exception!
I really liked the Envy/marcoh part. especially when Marcoh gave his theory of the Transmution circle. nice to see things moving along.
OMG, Pride's voice! It's just what I'd thought they would do! So you can't tell anything about Pride, Bones had the voice distorted. Awesome, because in the manga, we didn't know much of anything about Pride until the big reveal. Looks like Bones is keeping with tradition, while keeping the important scenes.
Well, I think the VA for Gluttony is fantastic while rampaging!! Fit sooo well, with how Gluttony's true form looks and how mad he really was.
Envy as a horse IS creepier, but I liked him as a dog. Made more sense for when he was spying on Ling and Ranfan.
Speaking of Ranfan, her crying over her lost arm broke my heart. But it's good for her to come to terms with it.
I watched the Subs that goofed up. They had Envy saying that Ling fought Lust (they had him say a twice!). I knew they were wrong, but Envy's VA pronounced Wrath in a way that sounded like Lust. But we know better.
The Raven part was a little boring, but I knew it would get interesting. And it did! Wrath coming into the room and admitting to Mustang that he's a homunculus. Priceless.
Ed, Ling, and Envy getting swallowed happened so fast! But it did seem anti-climatic. Oh, but Al. He sounded in such anguish! He's thinking that Ed is gone for good.
Ed taking the gun. Loved how they had the little flashbacks of him taking the gun from Winry (and telling her that her hands were not meant for killing), and Winry telling him not to die.
Loved how the episode ended. One of the manga chapters ended like that!!
Oh, how I CAN'T WAIT!! Next episode is yet another manga part that I love!!!!
Phyco-girl made my siggy! She's so cool! ^_^ My Family! (Wanna join the Elric family? Please PM me and I'll add you to the family list!) Little Sisters: ~.:Anime Gal:.~, ~FMAgurl~, Kit, Azura Elric, chocolate_eds_everywhere, Kakashi's#1 girlfriend, FullMetalAlchemist01FAN, Kal Rommel Brothers:«°~Envy™~°», Mustang's apprentice, niagra flame, Jamal Mana alchemist, bloodlust alchemist
Joined: 10-July 08
Member No.: 60,921
More thorough thoughts on the episode:
Now this is what I'm talking about, Bones. I didn't notice just how excellent this episode was until watching it subbed, but now I have. You keep up quality like this, and it may even end up rivaling my love for the first series.
I was on the fence about the Selim essay bit for a bit, but after some thought, have decided I like it. As somebody who follows the manga, it may seem like a bit excessive, but I took it as being a bit of a nudge and wink, and I think newcomers will appreciate it later on.
I have to admit, I'm growing attached to the new Gluttony voice. I probably still prefer the old one, but this one seems just as natural now. In fact, I think I'm starting to like Gluttony in general, whereas I always found him a little annoying beforehand. It's strange how he's both threatening and funny all at once.
The scene with General Raven and Roy's flashback to playing with Grumman (probably on a different occasion than THE chess game) was interesting, but I sort of preferred Raven just seemingly coincidentally running into him. I also have an issue with Raven's voice, I imagined hiim sounding a little less old and with a deceptively warm voice. But other than those things, the scene with him leading Roy into the conference room and Bradley coming in was a great one.
My other issue is that the actual swallowing of Ed, Ling, and Envy seemed a little plain. They could have spiced it up a bit. I know they would have done so with the first show.
I hope they keep up the great work, otherwise. I'm really looking forward to the next episode.
Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;
Joined: 15-July 09
Member No.: 70,107
This episode was really nice, but I didn't like that they've strongly suggested turning Amestris citizens into philospher's stone so fast (it wasn't in manga before Xerxes retrospection and Briggs story, was it?). But generally I liked it. The last scene (Roy, High Command and Fuhrer conversation/Ed eaten by Gluttony) and music during it. Though the music repeats too often (while still being awesome). Also, liked Edward's dilemma about taking gun or not. Anyway, the awesome stuff is going to begin now for good. Can't wait for military using Winry to make Ed obey, story of Hohenheim and Xerxes, Kimbley, immortal soldiers, revolution in Central and much more.
PS. Liked the scene of Bradley family dinner. Seems very dark if you know who King and Selim really are.