HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

34 Pages V  « < 30 31 32 33 34 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Are You Religious?
Are you religious?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 209
Guests cannot vote 
Nzm
post Jul 16 2009, 04:33 AM
Post #466

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 70,107

I am religious, but in my own way. I was raised Catholic and I stay in Roman Catholic Church, but a few centuries ago I would've definitely be called a heretic and probably burnt on a stake.

I am a deeply philosophical person and I often think about spiritual matters. I study various schools of thoughts, from occultism to rationalism, from christianity to satanism. It's not that I accept all of them but I search for truth in extremely different 'regions'. Nowadays, I think that my views are probably quite close to reinassance hermeticism (alchemy biggrin.gif) or laterdays theosophy (especially christian theosophy movements).

In my ideology, I support individual experiencing of religion, philosophical research, helping other people, romantic (in XIX-century meaning) views on feelings and emotion. I believe in heaven for good people but I am not sure if I believe in hell. Well, I like the idea of apocastasis - God is so good that he couldn't send people to hell for eternal suffering and hell is only some kind of satan's kingdom, not the punishment place.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mura_no_baka
post Jul 30 2010, 01:48 PM
Post #467

Citizen

Member No.: 75,029

I'm not religious at all. I'm an atheist. I studied theology, philosophy and sociology enough to completely understand the mechanism of the necessity of the existence of god, gods, hope, miracles, devils, punishments, afterlife and so on. I don't want any quarrel with anyone, I just have to make a post here until a movie is downloaded thus I'm doing this pretty much because I have nothing else more important to do, I'm pretty sure most of you people have all sorts of fun and you just handle to to make thousands of posts after hours of wild partying, working, going out and such, but to be honest, I don't right now.

The movie is called Dune and is 83% complete, not that it has much to do with the topic though if you are curious enough to read the books or actually like Frank Herbert's masterpiece you might find something that inspired most movies about the interaction between races, one of them being very evolved and the other more or less surviving ,like in antiquity: "The possibility to mend the minds of the weak into believing in a system brought out of thin air".

Of course after long periods of time the superior race looks down upon it's faded acolytes of full nothingness. I'm not implying now that all religious beliefs have something to do with aliens or something, in fact i dislike the idea of aliens when it comes to religion. I don't know why but it kind of bothers me to see a man trying to find another explanation for things he did himself. Life is simple and follow the laws of cause and effect. If I want to eat eggs this morning I'll eat eggs. Eggs, usually the ones you eat for breakfast come from a chicken, no gods nor parents nor spirits. If I am a bad cook I am bound to make a rather tasteless dish though if I happen to make something good it's not a miracle it's something that I did that made the meal good, chances were in fact small but they were, again no gods no spirits, no leperchauns.

Why would I bother to ask myself questions that lead me nowhere? Let's imagine that god tells you the objective of your life. Would you be more determined to do something that you could have done in the first place? Could you fly or live longer or acquire more knowledge by doing so? What if god tell you the reason of creation? What kind of answer might he give? Something we can easily accept because we guessed that might be the reason for a couple of thousands of years? The movie is 95% done and I don't feel like writing anymore.
Reason for edit: I have broken your post in to paragraphs so it is easier to read - Chiyo

--------------------
Life is full of crap and we are full of life.

+Quote Post
Razzy
post Jul 30 2010, 04:24 PM
Post #468

Special Ops (4-D Super Curator)

Group: Gallery Moderators
Member No.: 39,817

I'm religious; I was brought up Roman Catholic. I believe in the Bible and everything. Though I don't take everything the Bible says literally; I don't discriminate against anyone that the Bible may label as "wrong", and I don't push my beliefs on others.
I use what I learn in church to be a better person; love thy neighbor as thyself, thou shalt not steal, etc.
I'm not extremely religious, but I do believe in God and I pray every so often, and I believe that if I'm good I'll go to Heaven, and if I'm bad I'll go to Hell.
Anyway, that's just what I believe. laugh.gif

--------------------

C'mon, grab your friends. We'll go to very distant lands.
my deviantART

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Aug 3 2010, 12:33 PM
Post #469

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

What I'd label myself as depends on one's definition of atheism. If atheism is not having belief in a god (which is my take on it), then I'm an atheist. If atheism is firmly believing there is not a god, then I'm agnostic.

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Aug 3 2010, 12:36 PM
Post #470

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

I'd say that I'm agnostic...or perhaps atheist. I really don't have a strong enough opinion on the subject...I actually just live my life day by day and don't really think about it. However I'd say on the whole that I don't have a strong belief in any higher being.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Flamez_Freak
post Aug 4 2010, 04:52 AM
Post #471

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 66,548

i'm a believer , obviously that makes me religious too..i'm a muslim..but i tend to skip prayers everyday.hopefully , ill stop with the skipping and get back on track...i believe in the holy book , in all our prophets (jesus , muhammed(pbuh)) , and also believe in life after death and The day of judgement .

--------------------

+Quote Post
von Hohenheim
post Aug 5 2010, 01:25 AM
Post #472

Citizen

Member No.: 75,118

I am not religious. I do not believe in things I do not know about. I do not know if (a) god(s) exists, therefore, I do not believe god exists.

--------------------

Seit mein Körper sich geändert hat, habe ich zahllose Todesfälle eingesehen. Ich habe beobachtet, wie Freunde alt werden und sterben... habe ganz verwandelnde Orte angesehen, die ich mich früher errinere. Ich schau an, wie Menschen, wieder und wieder, die gleiche Fehler wieder holen und niemals lernen sie von die Vergangenheit. Doch meine einzige Befreiung, ist es mich selbst zu errinern, daß ich noch ein Fleck mitten dem großerem Bild der Sache bin. Da gibt es noch ein menge schöne einzige Dinge, die ich mag schon erfahren... Daran dachte ich, es würde wunderbar sein... Liebe Trisha, als ich du traf und wir Kinder haben, habe ich erkannt, daß ich niemals mich ändern würde und auch wenn unsere Söhne mein Blut in ihren Venen tragen, werden sie sich erwaschen. Sie werden Alter bekommen. Davon hat diese Gedanke mich erschreckt. Danach dachte ich, im Ernst...bin ich Monster.

+Quote Post
Disasterpiece
post Oct 23 2010, 05:24 PM
Post #473

Alchemists

Member No.: 66,581

I'm a Catholic. Not exactly devout, but I'm working on it.

--------------------

EdwardxWinry

[credit goes to Aquarina :D]

+Quote Post
Rainshine
post Oct 23 2010, 05:49 PM
Post #474

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 64,866

I'm not religious at all. :| When I was little I was kind of religious, I believed in God and hell and heaven and all that, and my family even went to church. But after a while me and my sister just couldn't stand going to church. We didn't like going to Sunday school with most of the other kids, but we really didn't like sitting with our parents and listening to the services either.
When it got to the point where my parents had to beg us and drag us to church on the occasional Sunday, we just stopped going all together. It's not that I'm anti-religious, though. I think people should be able to believe in any religion that they feel is right, just as long as it doesn't hurt other people, or they don't try to shove it down other people's throats. Which sadly tends to happen a lot. :c Those people who are all "YOU'RE GOING TO HELLLL >:C" I just find annoying and offensive. People can talk about their religion, and even try to get other people to join them in their religion, but they shouldn't feel like they have to force people into being religious. I've found it just doesn't work, and makes them look stupid.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FMAobsessed
post Oct 23 2010, 08:22 PM
Post #475

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 52,558

I believe in God and Jesus. I was raised Catholic, but haven't gone to church on a weekly basis in a while.
It doesn't bother me if people don't believe in God. Its their choice, you can't force people to think the way you do sometimes. But I don't think I could ever grasp how people cannot believe in anything. I just believe that people have to believe in something, or hold something sacred, like their memories, friends, and family.

I also don't believe everything that the Bible says. Especially some of the books in the Old Testament. But I believe in following the Ten Commandments and other things. But its impossible for someone to believe everything the Bible says because man is flawed, God isn't. That's my opinion anyways.

+Quote Post
Disasterpiece
post Oct 24 2010, 10:15 AM
Post #476

Alchemists

QUOTE (FMAobsessed @ Oct 23 2010, 09:22 PM) *
I also don't believe everything that the Bible says. Especially some of the books in the Old Testament. But I believe in following the Ten Commandments and other things. But its impossible for someone to believe everything the Bible says because man is flawed, God isn't. That's my opinion anyways.

It's my belief that as long as you repent for your sins and try to be a good person and a good soul throughout your life, you'll go to Heaven, since God loves all of us. Granted I need to go to church more myself, but I acknowledge things like that that I must do to better myself as a Catholic.

And I don't force anybody to believe in God.

--------------------

EdwardxWinry

+Quote Post
von Hohenheim
post Nov 6 2010, 10:50 AM
Post #477

Citizen

QUOTE (FMAobsessed @ Oct 23 2010, 08:22 PM) *
I believe in God and Jesus. I was raised Catholic, but haven't gone to church on a weekly basis in a while.
It doesn't bother me if people don't believe in God. Its their choice, you can't force people to think the way you do sometimes. But I don't think I could ever grasp how people cannot believe in anything. I just believe that people have to believe in something, or hold something sacred, like their memories, friends, and family.

Being an atheist doesn't necessarily mean you don't believe "anything"; it just means you don't believe in a or several gods, and therefore, have no religion.

Even so, I personally don't think anything is worth believing in if there is no evidence for it. And if there were, I'm not sure I'd even call it belief since it has some sort of basis.

Actually, there's a simpler reason not to believe everything the bible says--you can find contradictions in it. What people are actually doing is picking parts of the bible they want to believe, and what they think looks right to them. You would have Christians who believe in an omnipotent, omniscient god, and others who don't believe in such a god. And Christians who believe homosexuals are doomed--and other Christians who don't. Apparently, they had their own way of interpreting their bible. Quite a few people do.

--------------------

Seit mein Körper sich geändert hat, habe ich zahllose Todesfälle eingesehen. Ich habe beobachtet, wie Freunde alt werden und sterben... habe ganz verwandelnde Orte angesehen, die ich mich früher errinere. Ich schau an, wie Menschen, wieder und wieder, die gleiche Fehler wieder holen und niemals lernen sie von die Vergangenheit. Doch meine einzige Befreiung, ist es mich selbst zu errinern, daß ich noch ein Fleck mitten dem großerem Bild der Sache bin. Da gibt es noch ein menge schöne einzige Dinge, die ich mag schon erfahren... Daran dachte ich, es würde wunderbar sein... Liebe Trisha, als ich du traf und wir Kinder haben, habe ich erkannt, daß ich niemals mich ändern würde und auch wenn unsere Söhne mein Blut in ihren Venen tragen, werden sie sich erwaschen. Sie werden Alter bekommen. Davon hat diese Gedanke mich erschreckt. Danach dachte ich, im Ernst...bin ich Monster.

+Quote Post
Disasterpiece
post Nov 9 2010, 04:08 PM
Post #478

Alchemists

I've yet to find contradictions. Some friends I know point them out to me, to which I point them to scholarly theological books and encyclopedias that explain the passages in question. The most common one I get is how the gospels are all different.

--------------------

EdwardxWinry

+Quote Post
rosieechan
post Nov 9 2010, 07:03 PM
Post #479

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,287

Yes.
I'm Hindu. happy.gif
I believe in the many forms of God...which is kind of polytheistic but at the same time monotheistic as well, it's kinda confusing. ^^'

--------------------

Pink n Black icons @ LJ

EdWin :: AlMei :: LingFan :: Royai

+Quote Post
von Hohenheim
post Nov 11 2010, 03:15 AM
Post #480

Citizen

QUOTE (Disasterpiece @ Nov 9 2010, 04:08 PM) *
I've yet to find contradictions. Some friends I know point them out to me, to which I point them to scholarly theological books and encyclopedias that explain the passages in question. The most common one I get is how the gospels are all different.

Most explanations I get usually involve purposely ignoring one side of the contradiction or holding a particular interpretation which seems to solve the contradiction. Actually, this happens with claims the bible makes about the universe, which science has found to be untrue. You would need some kind of external resource in order to concede that the Earth wasn't created in 7 days.

--------------------

+Quote Post

34 Pages V  « < 30 31 32 33 34 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th August 2016 - 11:28 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css