Reply to this topicStart new topic
Family, Tell Us About Yours!
Chiyo
post Apr 25 2006, 03:35 PM
Post #16

Moderator Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,466

What a wonderful little note to end on there Toby. It is sad that people really don't appreciate what a wonderful family they have until they are older. I especially realised what my family did for me when I moved to Uni...butthen I never really had issues with my family. They are the only people I fully trust.

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*~vachi~*
post Apr 25 2006, 07:13 PM
Post #17

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 28,443

wow, I have never see this thread before! ohmy.gif ph34r.gif

so, talking about families...
My mom, is awesome!! ( am I the first that says this?) she is very funny, smart, pretty, and she is like the best adviser ever! tongue.gif
My dad...he is soo smart!!! he is kinda...too serious all the time ph34r.gif but still, he has his funny moments...
My brothers...just picks on me...but he is very smart...and helps me out with homework I don´t get! laugh.gif
umm, I guess my family helps me out when I need help, and so do I...but I have really heard that people get closer to their families when they get older. unsure.gif Wonder how close I will be with mine!

--------------------
[center]

Take a look at my dA! Thank you for reading this!
Spanish Master of the Wise Hyo ~MasterKris~ Scans/images from:Silhouette
[/center]

+Quote Post
MonsterEnvy
post Apr 25 2006, 07:31 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 32,500

QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Feb 17 2005, 05:58 PM) [snapback]116227[/snapback]

If kids don't learn to question authority at an early age, chances are they never will. And the questioning of authority begins at home. The trick is to not just tell them you're looking out for them, but to actually prove it. Let them do things their way for a while, and see where it gets them.

Yes, definitely. A level of normal discourse in a household is the best thing for kids. However, throwing tantrums and suchlike is definitely not questioning authority. There really is a limit to allowing kids to do whatever they want.

That said, it is true that allowing kids to make their own mistakes for a while and decide against doing them again is one of the best ways to have them end up at your point of view. For example, I never did my homework until my parents got sick of trying to make me, and then, almost inexplicably, given the chance to make up my own mind, i began working a lot harder on it. I was always one of those kids who does absolutely no work or studying and ends up with an A+ on all the tests and things... but, the homeowrk was really a difference between the B and the A, i guess... luckily, it was before the grades really counted for college.

on the other hand, it is important for parents to have strict rules about, say, dangerous and illicit drugs, unsafe sex, and a lot of the same things that Toby was talking about... if there's enough of a happy medium between rules that are strict and rules that can be bent or broken, and the kid understands which is which, it's easier to both find the individuality that kids need to seperate from their parents by disobeying some rules while making sure that the kids stay safe... a lot of that has to do with the same values that arche was talking about instilling in his kids.

Well, that's my two cents.
This is an interesting topic...

--------------------

Sig and tag by Nil-Chan
Punctuation, spelling, and general grammar are our friends! Don't look like an idiot, and be sure not to use numbers in words or toss random Japanese words into sentences where they don't belong.

+Quote Post
Fayth Prophecy
post Apr 25 2006, 07:59 PM
Post #19

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 12,992

Well, my family is typically the normal family, although I don't really get along with my dad...But with my mom, we're like best friends. And I'm pretty much independent when it comes to family and such, seeing as I'm an only child and don't have to worry about any siblings.

+Quote Post
Lone Wolf
post Apr 25 2006, 09:15 PM
Post #20

Alchemists

Member No.: 18,451

Love, respect, understanding, forgiveness, and fun are what hold my family together. My parents have been happily married for (almost) twenty years, and never once have I heard them fight. My little sister (who just turned thirteen... sheesh I feel old...) may be a pain sometimes, but I wouldn't trade her for anything or anyone. All of us (including the dog... lol) get along very well...

My family's taught me many things - responsibility, love, respect, kindness, understanding, honor, honesty, compassion, the list goes on and on... I've also learned from my parents the power of relationships. Both of my parents stayed pure until their wedding night, and they still have a passion for each other (sorry if that sounds weird, but I thought it was romantic... smile.gif ) I think the most important thing I've learned from my parents is respect for others. I make it one of my top priorities in life to respect others - my peers, younger kids, elders, authorities... I've found that respecting people produces positive effects and those positive effects seem to be contagious.

I know this is going to sound bizarre to most of you out there, but no one in my family (including my relatives) has had a divorce, break-up, or anything like that. Because of this, I have some very strong family bonds.

Oh, and fun, I've found is a great way to keep a family together. Whether it's watching a movie or going to play putt-putt biggrin.gif setting apart a time to be together with one's family builds close, loving relationships.

Many people say that I'm lucky to have such a family, but I can only say one thing. It's not luck, it's Jesus Christ. I know I'm going to get a lot of heat from this, but I wouldn't be saying it if it wasn't the truth...

Anyways, I have to say I'm extremely thankful to have such a wonderful family! smile.gif

--------------------
"Who is bred among wolves will soon learn to howl." -John Florio

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Apr 25 2006, 09:21 PM
Post #21

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 3,284

QUOTE(Fayth Prophecy @ Apr 25 2006, 07:59 PM) [snapback]386113[/snapback]
seeing as I'm an only child and don't have to worry about any siblings.

QUOTE(Fayth Prophecy @ Apr 14 2006, 08:02 PM) [snapback]380795[/snapback]

QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Apr 13 2006, 10:50 AM) [snapback]379985[/snapback]

Gorgeous, Fayth. Who took it?

My sister. She's starting to get into photography.

Care to explain?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Apr 25 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #22

Gallery Mod Emeritus

From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

New step-sister?

Something Dickensian, perhaps?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Apr 26 2006, 02:39 AM
Post #23

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

Haha nicely spotted Toby

Lone-Wolf, you probably are one of the few left who hasn't had a family break-up. It's common now for children to have step-parents or a new Uncle/Auntie. Why is it then most people's Grandparents are still together? Damn changes in society.

--------------------

+Quote Post
alchemist x
post Apr 26 2006, 01:00 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 5,537

Teee Hee, Sumpin chi said reminded me of one of my friends uncles. You can fill in the blanks.

Um but i think kids should say whatever the hell they want and shouldnt have to have any respect but I also think that if you do you must pay the concequences. MWAHHAA. EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION. Just kidding i don't like kids w/out respect for their parents, but I am one of them. Or so they say, I have my own little kind of respect because my mom is half crazy and my dad is half crazy that must mean im fully crazy.

Oh yeah I have a step-dad too.

--------------------

^^^^^^^^^^ look what i made ^^^^^^^^^^
>>>>>My Deviantart site that YOU should go to!<<<<<

+Quote Post
MonsterEnvy
post Apr 26 2006, 02:04 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 32,500

QUOTE(Chiyo @ Apr 26 2006, 05:39 AM) [snapback]386222[/snapback]

Lone-Wolf, you probably are one of the few left who hasn't had a family break-up. It's common now for children to have step-parents or a new Uncle/Auntie. Why is it then most people's Grandparents are still together? Damn changes in society.

Oddly enough, my parents are together and haven't ever remarried. On the other hand I currently have six grandparents owing to a divorce and the resulting remarriages. It can make visiting on holidays interesting...

--------------------

Sig and tag by Nil-Chan
Punctuation, spelling, and general grammar are our friends! Don't look like an idiot, and be sure not to use numbers in words or toss random Japanese words into sentences where they don't belong.

+Quote Post
alchemist x
post Apr 26 2006, 02:16 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 5,537

Oh me too and I love it.

--------------------

^^^^^^^^^^ look what i made ^^^^^^^^^^
>>>>>My Deviantart site that YOU should go to!<<<<<

+Quote Post
mei_tenshi
post Apr 26 2006, 07:52 PM
Post #27

Major General

Member No.: 3,343

My parents started off as your typical Chinese parents. When I was younger, I was rarely allowed to hang out with my friends in public places (movies, mall, Chuck E. Cheese's, etc.), though my brother got to go wherever he wanted (as well as get whatever games he wanted)...darn the double standard. And when I did something wrong, they might yell at me. They were pretty strict--my dad especially. When I moved to a different school two months into kindergarten, most of the kids at school weren't Asian, so in the subsequent years I was getting pretty close to being Americanized. As such, I was always demanding independence and threw tantrums whenever my parents said "no" to something I wanted. I was a pretty rebellious kid for some years.

One day, my mom couldn't get out of bed. There was something wrong with her left leg. I didn't know what it was (to this day, I'm still not sure what was wrong), but seeing her weak in bed all day and having to divide the household responsibilities with my siblings for the next week or so, the twelve-year-old me broke down. I thought there was something seriously wrong with my mom, and it really hit me: What if we lost our mom? I was overreacting, sure, but I couldn't help crying at her bedside. I think that's when I started to really appreciate everything that my parents have done for us, even if we didn't understand it at the time.

My dad's usually not as understanding as my mom. He's quick to jump to conclusions (usually on the negative side) and sometimes he may have little faith in our judgment. It's harder to communicate with him than with our mom (my siblings feel the same way); sometimes it seems like he doesn't even try to consider why we may feel or act they way we do before he condemns our way of thinking as wrong. Nowadays, we may withhold some information if we think that he might overreact. I'm not proud of it, this sneaking around, but it allows more peace in the family than it would have otherwise. After a certain incident with my brother a few months back, I think my dad's changing. He's becoming more understanding. After the initial steam is released, rationale kicks in and we're able to discuss our concerns with him--treading carefully, of course, but there is discourse.

I think back on my childhood, and to tell the truth, I was actually more strict with myself than my parents were. I guess they've instilled their standards on me, and even if they've let the reins loose, so to speak, I've kept it tight on myself. I've grown a lot since my rebel phase, and it's great to see that my parents have grown as well.

My brother and sister...it's scary how alike we are. People have commented on how we have the same expressions and sense of humor. I've noticed myself that we have similar thought processes, as well. We each know how the others would respond to a situation. We can finish each other's sentences. We're like triplets...only of different ages and sex. We weren't always like this: when we were younger, we often fought, purposely irritated one another, and destroyed each other's properties. But we eventually matured and got to the point where we respected each other as people...and enjoyed hanging out. All of a sudden, it wasn't weird to just loaf on the couch flipping channels--the three of us.

We have our issues. My parents argue with each other sometimes. They have cold wars. My dad nags at everyone. My sister as a short temper that can blow every which way. My brother trying to set up his life, perhaps 600 miles from the home base of SoCal. I have a hard time keeping up with what's going on with my family (at school and all). But we're working on it. It's not really a conscious effort--it's not like we go to therapy or anything, or have family meetings. But we know that the kids are growing up, and things aren't going to be the same as when we were all in grade school. I guess it's safe to say that we're adapting to the changes and strengthening the bond amongst us at the same time.

--------------------

CoF #11

+Quote Post
Fayth Prophecy
post Apr 26 2006, 11:52 PM
Post #28

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 12,992

QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Apr 25 2006, 10:21 PM) [snapback]386158[/snapback]

QUOTE(Fayth Prophecy @ Apr 25 2006, 07:59 PM) [snapback]386113[/snapback]
seeing as I'm an only child and don't have to worry about any siblings.

QUOTE(Fayth Prophecy @ Apr 14 2006, 08:02 PM) [snapback]380795[/snapback]

QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Apr 13 2006, 10:50 AM) [snapback]379985[/snapback]

Gorgeous, Fayth. Who took it?

My sister. She's starting to get into photography.

Care to explain?

On that one about the picture, I was actually talking about my best friend^^ She and I grew up together and we act like sisters. So she's my little sister seeing as she's a few months younger than me. That's what I meant by that one. Sorry I didn't make it clear before^^; That was really my fault.

+Quote Post
trecia
post Jun 22 2006, 02:53 AM
Post #29

Alchemists

Member No.: 36,367

well, my family is a typical asian family, my parents are strict but not so much, i dont really know what i mean... they're okay, i guess but there's really a generation gap. i dont get them and they dont get me so i stay away from their way pretty most of the time.... were so ordinary, if you see an ordinary family then you'd know mine...

--------------------
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

"It’s the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting." -The Alchemist; Paulo Coelho

"Every book has a great love story that would never happen in reality, but once you fall in love, reality becomes a story better than any other book." -from an episode in Boys Be

"I would rather be a ghost drifting by your side, as a condemned soul, than enter heaven without you… Because of your love, I will never be a lonely spirit" -crouching tiger hidden dragon

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Apr 22 2011, 02:58 PM
Post #30

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

I love my family to bits --I don't know what I'd do without them. We haven't had it easy, but I won't get into it. laugh.gif My sister, brother and I were bought up, I think, well by our parents and we are well mannered and thoughtful. Our parents were quite strict when we were younger --if we did something bad we'd get a slap (on our arm) and we never did it again, that's for sure. laugh.gif

Our parents split up when my sister and I were 3, and we just saw our dad every weekend. But due to certain circumstances, we ended up going to live with our dad permanently when we were about 14.

We have some pretty crazy family members, too. In particular my auntie; she's a bit of a drinker and she's pretty crazy after a drinking session. Myself and my sister are twins, and once she walked in thinking I was my sister and started saying "Oh, Stephanie (my sister's name) you know I've always liked you better", "You've always been my favourite twin" etc etc. It took her a while to realise it was me. Although it was kind of hurtful, I couldn't help but laugh. wacko.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2016 - 01:50 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css