HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 16: Footsteps Of A Comrade-in-arms - Content Discussion Thread, Caution! Spoilers for the first 16 episodes!
Sword Alchemist
post Jul 19 2009, 03:41 PM
Post #16

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,591

Such an emotion filled episode. Especially the part with Elicia and Gracia.

I actually like how Maria Ross was the one to tell Ed and Al about Hughes instead of them finding out from the newspaper.

Poor Maria. Cant wait for next episode when we get to see a whole lot of her.

Why are Hawkeye's eye so ridiculously huge?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Jul 19 2009, 04:50 PM
Post #17

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

AAh! Room 503! XD That's Winry's hotel room! (EdxWin's number) So that's why! I never noticed.

Other than just that, the rest of the episode was great, too. I mean, it wasn't as good as the manga's version of how it all went down. But still good.
First of all, they're really getting a hang of the pacing thing. I haven' seen a really badly paced episode in a couple of weeks. I hope they continue to please me this way. *knock on wood*
I haven't wanted to kill the "Fullmetal Alchemist!" guy in such a long time. I'm liking him lately.
Great voice acting and animation, but Lust seemed to look a bit weird this episode. (Or is that just me?)

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
edo little kid
post Jul 19 2009, 06:41 PM
Post #18

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 49,158

QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Jul 19 2009, 04:50 PM) *
but Lust seemed to look a bit weird this episode. (Or is that just me?)

me too , as I said Lust's lips was bigest than usual dry.gif

+Quote Post
Jen_Elric
post Jul 19 2009, 06:59 PM
Post #19

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 9,551

This episode was done really well! I was worried about how Ed and Al found out about Hughes' death from Mria, instead of a newspaper, but I liked it!

Maria didn't really tell them that Hughes died, Ed intuition told him something was wrong. After being told by Mustang that Hughes went away to the country, And the brothers were talking to Maria about how they would miss him, Maria tells them Hughes went up two ranks. Since that confused Ed, he wondered why the Military would do that after Hughes moved. And Maria's face told Ed what REALLY happened. I actually liked that. It seemed to have just about the same impact that finding out from a newspaper would have.

Anyways, even thought some things were missing, like some manga humor (what, no height comparison of Ling and Ed?!) and the Apple pie scene (though, Winry TALKED about making an apple pie), and the animation was a tad wierd (especially Lust! What the heck? Did she get collagen injections?!), I thought it was just done very well.

Can't wait til the next one! Mustang's face was scary, and so was Armstrong's!!!

--------------------

Phyco-girl made my siggy! She's so cool! ^_^
My Family! (Wanna join the Elric family? Please PM me and I'll add you to the family list!)
Little Sisters: ~.:Anime Gal:.~, ~FMAgurl~, Kit, Azura Elric, chocolate_eds_everywhere, Kakashi's#1 girlfriend, FullMetalAlchemist01FAN, Kal Rommel
Brothers:«°~Envy™~°», Mustang's apprentice, niagra flame, Jamal Mana alchemist, bloodlust alchemist

+Quote Post
Full Metal Elf
post Jul 19 2009, 07:26 PM
Post #20

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 23,332

Well...I was sort of disappointed they had to change anything. I mean...the manga was just brilliant with how it was all handled.

Most of all, I missed the face Mustang makes when Ed asks about Hughes. That face is just heartbreaking.

Overall...yes...the emotion was there. It was played-out fairly well. I just hope they don't screw-up the next episode. If they do, I'll be very disappointed.

--------------------

Proud member of the Anti-Shou movment....
Staff Member of M.S.A (Miniskirt Army)

+Quote Post
Animeoldtimer
post Jul 19 2009, 08:40 PM
Post #21

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 8,503

All-in-all I liked the episode. When I read the first few posts before I saw the episode I thought "Oh no they cut the scene with Ed and Winry!! mad.gif " Then after watching I realized they just (excuse the pun) cut the pie. I liked how they did the scene, but I just couldn't help thinking "ED! Just go over there and hold her!!!" biggrin.gif I reacted the same in the manga.

Good drama, a little quick, but they have less than 25 minutes to work with.

--------------------
"Funny how you can say something in your head and it sounds fine... "--The Doctor

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post Jul 19 2009, 09:17 PM
Post #22

Apprentice

Member No.: 31,830

I also noticed Lust looking a little weird. Was it just the lips?

Again, the episode didn't do too much for me. I liked the emotion with Winry. And that was about it.

Oh and I thought the creepy music was totally out of place when Ed found out about Hughes.
EDIT: and another negative note; I don't like Ran Fan's voice.

As usual, l have yet to reread the manga version of this and as usual, expect to hate the episode afterwards. ;D

--------------------
I made a blog about things.
(Disclaimer: blog may also contain stuff)
Please take a look. I'd appreciate any comments.

+Quote Post
Trakonda
post Jul 19 2009, 11:38 PM
Post #23

Apprentice

Member No.: 52,583

I personally liked the music on this one.

And the emotion.. wow. ;w; though yeah, I think they SLIGHTLY overdid it in some parts, but then again, it was still lovely. It really showed how much everyone cared about Hughes.
It was a bummer that they didn't do at least some of it in the manga way, though. (I was looking forward to Apple pie scene and the dining scene with Ed holding the fork in his mouth.. I dunno, I just liked how these were done in the manga. )

But heck, it was a good episode still! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
thunderbreak
post Jul 19 2009, 11:41 PM
Post #24

Apprentice

Member No.: 68,553

initial impression
I think i am a bit disappointed ,bcos they firstly change the newspaper scene(luckily we have it next ep )
,and maria ross revelation dont have the same impact as i have in the manga,as so did ed eating sceen and no real apple pie
and probably i watch it on a hot day,so...
i dont know about the music on ed found out hughes is dead,but on other parts i must say it's fantastic.the soundtrack is reminiscent to the atonement soundtrack.it sounds like the fma use another soundtrack bits.

Lust scene at the end is good,and i 'm lad they did not cut falman scene.
i write more later

--------------------
Currently on :Silverspoon,re-reading FMA project(will post to blog soon)
Planning list:Pumpkin scissors,Stein Gate,Fairy Tail

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Jul 20 2009, 12:04 AM
Post #25

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

I don't see why the music is getting compliments. They're still using most of the same tracks they've used every episode, with nary a new one since the fourth episode. Most of them are pretty unimpressive and they use them poorly. That music playing when Gracia was talking to the boys? That piece doesn't belong there. The only good piece was at the very end of the episode when Maria Ross was being arrested and Havoc was going on his date with "Solaris".

The events shuffle was barely noticable, to be honest. I'm sure if I wasn't re-reading the manga as we go along I probably wouldn't even have noticed. They got in Barry, an appearance or two by the Xingese, the brothers and Winry finding out about Hughes' death, the talk with Gracia, the homunculi's plans, the arrest of Maria Ross, and Havoc arriving for his date, and it all flowed very naturally to me. The only thing I might've changed was getting rid of that stupid scene with Ed running in close up for way too long and replaced it with an Ishbal flashback that belonged there during the bathroom conversation between Roy and Major Armstrong.

I find it hilarious that in an episode where they finally got Havoc's character design down (before his face/head was too long), other designs were uneven. For one, Riza's eyes are still way too big at times, they look like they're about to pop. Another is that scene where Lust is talking with Envy and her bottom lip looks messed up. Apparently she fixed her lipstick in time for her date. Then there's Henry Douglas. Doesn't look very much like his manga design, does he? He looks all bumpy now, with a lot of lines on him. He's not an important character, but come on, it's like they didn't even try.

But, it did have some good detail here and there and certainly set up the explosive events coming, so it was a pretty decent episode.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post Jul 20 2009, 03:56 AM
Post #26

Apprentice

Member No.: 31,830

Just reread the manga version. Yeah, this anime honestly just isn't very good considering the material they have to work with.

Every scene loses almost all sense of character or humour. And the changes they're making are just...Weird.

--------------------
I made a blog about things.
(Disclaimer: blog may also contain stuff)
Please take a look. I'd appreciate any comments.

+Quote Post
Krokgard
post Jul 20 2009, 04:56 AM
Post #27

Citizen

Member No.: 68,794

I liked this episode.... yeah, it's not at the level of the manga, but it's still very good imho, and this time they haven't rushed things too much. I just don't know why they changed the "apple pie" scene; the manga version was much better.
I liked a lot also the music in this episode, most in the ending, but I would like if they add some new tracks.

The facts that happen in the next episode were great in the manga... hope they won't change too much (well, I hope they won't change anything biggrin.gif)

QUOTE (Sword Alchemist)
Why are Hawkeye's eye so ridiculously huge?

Ahah, I noticed... in some scenes they're a little bit weird laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Mhacy
post Jul 20 2009, 05:53 AM
Post #28

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,452

Just finished watching it..
and I just noticed...darn..they skipped Ed comparing his height with Ling..
I really want to see that scene...
and why the hell Maria Ross is the one who told the Elric Brothers about Hughes Death?

But i have to agree the episode is as great as ever..though it would be better if they follow what is really written in the manga...

I love Ed running with a sad face..blaming himself...and winry's face when she's crying..
she's soo cute...biggrin.gif
Poor Elicia...i wanna hug her...

Overall: This episode was a sad one...but hughes funeral is the only episode that made me cry so far...

--------------------

Just say...." I DO....."

+Quote Post
rzerox21xx
post Jul 20 2009, 06:12 AM
Post #29

Alchemists

Member No.: 69,867

I'm glad the mentioned the apple pie in the Edwin scene because I think they might do the Ed eating Winry pie later and might make more of a impact. I think the episode did a good job and I like the new soundtrack. It suppose to be a emotional impact to a hearing the death of a really loveable character so to see the main characters go through that was nicely done.

I hoping they would do the Ling Ed heigh comparision in a later episode when they meet in the hotel. I mean his first episode already revealed that he's a prince.

+Quote Post
Jealous Rogo
post Jul 20 2009, 08:02 AM
Post #30

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,019

When I saw the preview for this episode last week, I was a tad confused as to why it seemed to be missing any reference to Maria Ross' arrest, and this week I found out why, cause it only happens in the last few minutes.

So they decided to take all the emotional scenes regarding hughes death from Volume 9 (?) and condensced them down into one episode. And in my opinion, it works, and in some places, it's even managed to improve upon the original material. I'm referring mostly to the scene where Ed overhears Gracia crying replacing the scene where Ed looked back in the manga and saw her crying. Obviously there's reasons why the anime version of the scene couldn't have worked in the manga (relying mostly on sound) but it always struck me as odd that Gracia decided to stand by an open window crying.

Maybe it would've been nice if BONES had just left everything 100% in tact from the manga, but then again, why would I want to watch something that I've already read? I like being surprised and Brotherhood is doing a good job at doing that, for better or worse. This week I think they made the better decision, by taking all the talky, emotional stuff and putting it one place. It made the episode have more impact in my opinion.

On the negative side, I don't know if it was just the translation I saw, but I did think it ruined the surprise of that Havoc was dating Lust by having Envy ask Lust if her boyfriend had given her any info. After hearing Havoc announce he had a new gf earlier in the episode, anyone who didn't know must've had alarm bells ringing at that point.

There was also some wonky character designs, but I'm not gonna criticise them too harshly for that, mostly cause I know from personal experience how difficult it is to keep a character on model. So they slipped out on Lust's lips, no biggie in my opinion.

I also liked Focker's eyecatch visually, even if it pretty much said 'yeah this guy is only relevent or interesting because Envy pretended to be him'.

As for the preview for next week, can't say too much without getting into spoilers but it looks good.

Yayness?

--------------------

Please check out my comic if you have the time

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2016 - 04:37 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css