HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Symbols & Symbolisms You See In FMA: Flamel, Ouroboros, And Whatnot, Designated thread for everyone to post what you find out on Wikipedia
Bader
post Sep 10 2006, 05:18 PM
Post #31

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 40,432

QUOTE(sweety_pie @ Sep 10 2006, 05:16 PM) [snapback]444915[/snapback]

'It is called a flamel. It is kind of the opposite of the Orobous.
It represents a fixation on the violatile princaple in alchemy as opposed to the endless cycle repressented by Oroborous.

It is refered to 'the Flamel' as in Nicholas Flamel. It was one of the alchemical symbols placed on his tombs.'

Wow thanks for that information! It still surprises me how ignorant of the FMA world I still am. Does it say this in the manga, because I don't recall it mentioning this in the anime...

Yeah here's the image (see attachment)

The symbol is on the left, one image down from the top corner.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Flamel_figures.png ( 174.03K ) Number of downloads: 149

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Sep 10 2006, 05:47 PM
Post #32

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

Wow thanks for that information! It still surprises me how ignorant of the FMA world I still am. Does it say this in the manga, because I don't recall it mentioning this in the anime...

Sweety Pie has done quite abit of research on alchemy and such. There are alot of unexplained alchemy related reffrences in FMA.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Sep 11 2006, 12:58 AM
Post #33

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

@Bader - Could you kindly switch that pic to attachment, or, simply just post the link, and not the image, or change the size of the pic??
It's stretching the forum page, and since I have a low connection, it's causing the page to take forever to load.

Thanks!! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bader
post Sep 12 2006, 03:47 PM
Post #34

Citizen

Member No.: 40,432

So do you guys think it is possible that the line of alchemists that the anime said that Dante and Hohenheim are taught from have any connections with Nicolas Flamel?

+Quote Post
Ailuro
post Sep 12 2006, 04:12 PM
Post #35

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 665

Maybe if there was also a Nicholas Flamel in the Hagaren world. This Nicholas Flamel could have succeeded in his experiment of turning lead to gold (or whatever it was, I think I'm getting names mixed up), thus influencing the past FMA society the way chemistry and the like influenced ours. Perhaps both the worlds had been developing the same until that crucial point in time, then started to evolve in separate ways. Sort of like how the flip of a coin could send one universe one way, then another the other way. Or the reason could be elements and science act differently in both worlds. Either way, that could be why the two worlds are different.

----------------------------Alchemy succeeds ------------ Hagaren world
--------------------------/
Start-----------------=
--------------------------\
----------------------------Achemy fails ------------------- Our world

Anyway, I got pretty off there. I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. But, yeah. I'd say that could be possible, since we never see that symbol with anyone except those related to Dante.

--------------------
- Ailuro "Deshi" Oz
- Moderator Emeritus -

+Quote Post
MonsterEnvy
post Sep 12 2006, 06:19 PM
Post #36

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 32,500

Perhaps Flamel was one of the alchemists making the PS with Dante and Hohenheim? They'v already got a Paracelsus and a gender-confused Alighieri, why not toss on a successful Flamel? Perhaps Hohenheim even stole his body...

--------------------

Sig and tag by Nil-Chan
Punctuation, spelling, and general grammar are our friends! Don't look like an idiot, and be sure not to use numbers in words or toss random Japanese words into sentences where they don't belong.

+Quote Post
lag master1
post Sep 13 2006, 08:14 PM
Post #37

Citizen

Member No.: 40,916

I was wondering if the symbol was ever used in the real world. The symbol that the characters draw, touch the symbol and something happens. I am not wondering if something would happen b/cnothing probably would. I am wondering if real world alchemy used the symbols and how? Please message me back. Thank You.

-lag master1-

jvcunningham@msn.com

+Quote Post
sweety_pie
post Sep 13 2006, 08:24 PM
Post #38

Major General

Member No.: 35,070

That symbol was used by a real alchemists named Nicholas Flamel. It was one of the alchemic symbols put onto his grave.

Or was you refering to transmutation circles, and alchemic reactions? If so they are not really used in our world. A transmutation is a an analogous to what a catalyst does in a chemical reaction.

--------------------

Thank you so much Milky for the Siggie. You are the awesomest!

+Quote Post
Sin Of Envy
post Sep 14 2006, 05:48 AM
Post #39

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 32,729

Perhaps Hohenheim even stole his body...

Interesting, but I don't think he could do that.
Flamel lived in 15th century and Hohenheim was born somewhere in 16th if we take that he lived for 400 years....

Both Ouroboros and Flamel are taken from Flamel's tomb....
Array or Transmutation circle is a an analogous like what sweety_pie said.
But they are similar to Solomon's key:

IPB Image
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Flamel_figures.png ( 174.03K ) Number of downloads: 39

--------------------
Older sis: Kitty Alchemist :3

+Quote Post
sweety_pie
post Oct 1 2006, 07:17 PM
Post #40

Major General

Member No.: 35,070

I found out yesterday that 'The Mark of the Alchemists' is actually called a Cadecus. (Although most people just call it a Flamel.)

...In case anyone cares.

--------------------

Thank you so much Milky for the Siggie. You are the awesomest!

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Oct 2 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #41

Group Icon

QUOTE(sweety_pie @ Oct 1 2006, 10:17 PM) [snapback]453924[/snapback]
I found out yesterday that 'The Mark of the Alchemists' is actually called a Cadecus. (Although most people just call it a Flamel.)

...In case anyone cares.
@sweety_pie - You meant cadeceus, I assume??
That's the symbol with Hermes's staff/wand with wings, and the two serpents twined around it, right??

I think the name "Cadeceus" for that symbol is mostly used in our worldly stuff, (vs. many FMA fans view "symbol on Ed's coat" as Flamel sysbol ("snakes on the cross' thingy), probably mostly because of Flamel's obvious connection to the "Alchemy" - not our world alchemy, but "Hagaren" type alchemy - whereas, in our world, that winged staff with snakes thingy is usually called Cadeseus, and it's used as the symbol of Medical profession, pharmacy stuff, and such, I think. smile.gif
Attached File(s)
Attached File  ca_du_ce_us.jpg ( 22.28K ) Number of downloads: 42

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Oct 2 2006, 02:25 AM
Post #42

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

I'm getting so confused, its been years since I did the History of Medicine, but I believe the two snakes were taken from Asclepius, who used two snakes to heal people.

The original Hippocratic oath started with the line "I swear | by Apollo the Physician and by Asclepius and by Hygieia and Panacea and by all the gods . . .". As you know doctors take the Hippocratic oath before they can practise medicine. So I believe the snakes are from Asclepius and the wings from Mercury.

But I may be completely wrong.

The Rod

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Oct 2 2006, 03:08 AM
Post #43

Group Icon

QUOTE(Chiyo @ Oct 2 2006, 05:25 AM) [snapback]454026[/snapback]
I'm getting so confused, its been years since I did the History of Medicine, but I believe the two snakes were taken from Asclepius, who used two snakes to heal people.

The original Hippocratic oath started with the line "I swear | by Apollo the Physician and by Asclepius and by Hygieia and Panacea and by all the gods . . .". As you know doctors take the Hippocratic oath before they can practise medicine. So I believe the snakes are from Asclepius and the wings from Mercury.

But I may be completely wrong...
@Chiyo - You are not wrong at all. biggrin.gif
Asclepius, who is Apollo's son, and the god of medicine in Greek Mythology thingy, and his staff with the snake wrapping around it, their connection to the Medical symbol is quite correct, IMO. As far as I know, the Caduceus symbol was adopted as a symbol of physicians, in major part, because of its similarity to the staff of Asclepius.
But, I didn't want to go into that far in details about the Medical symbol because I did not want to stray too far from the Flamel Alchemy symbol thingy they were discussing.
Basically, I posted about Cadeceus because sweety_pie posted that Ed's Flamel symbol thingy was also called "Cadecus," but no further information was included on the post. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Oct 2 2006, 03:28 AM
Post #44

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

Oh I know Tombow, but I didn't know if it would come in handy for determining why Flamel adopted that symbol himself for alchemy. Bit of background info can't hurt, but it may confuse things.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Oct 2 2006, 03:31 AM
Post #45

Group Icon

^^ Yeah, that's true about Flamel's process of picking that famous "Flamel" symbol. biggrin.gif
As far as confusing readers, I do that way too often!! LOL!! Because, usually, I tend to go on and on, trying to include every relevant information, (because I, myself, would love to have access to all relevant informations out there.. not that I may read all of them, but I like knowing those things exist,) then ended up confusing everybody, (or, bore them to death!!) laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2016 - 03:20 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css