HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Discussions On "story" On Fma-1, Comparing To Manga Storyline., Your opinions?
TheVileOne
post Sep 30 2005, 08:29 PM
Post #16

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 250

Its just semantics. Everything seemed consistent to me.

Like the thing with Trisha. The guy's whining about how his 3 yo nephew assumed that the homunculi killed Mother Elric.

Well the series never spelled it out but left it to interpretation, and I think that's fine. One can make the argument that perhaps Dante had something to do with her death. I like to think she just got sick and passed on out of some disease that either wasn't diagnosed and/or the combination of her depression after Hohenheim left. It made for great conflict and drama between Ed and his father that's overcome in the end and Ed learns the anger for his father was misplaced. Its just one of the many ways Ed's pride and ego gets the best of him

--------------------
"Struggle is optional. Pain is inevitable."

"This is my life. I have battled and lost, struggled and won.
I have had victory and defeat, and defeat in victory.
I will never be overmatched or unprepared.
This is who I am and who I will always be…I am Chris Benoit!"
- "The Crippler" Chris Benoit
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Oct 4 2005, 11:51 PM
Post #17

Gallery Mod Emeritus

From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

Virtually every anime ever made is gonna have some continuity problems, because unlike manga, there are a lot of different writers at work, and they all have different ideas about the direction the story should go. To complain about a few minor inconsistensies in FMA is pretty pedantic, as far as I'm concerned.

That said, I think the anime has one major aspect going for it over the manga: NO EVER-SO-PREDICTABLE ED X WIN MUSHINESS!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pamster
post Oct 7 2005, 06:06 AM
Post #18

Citizen

Member No.: 18,537

QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Sep 30 2005, 11:29 PM) [snapback]294728[/snapback]

Its just semantics. Everything seemed consistent to me.

Like the thing with Trisha. The guy's whining about how his 3 yo nephew assumed that the homunculi killed Mother Elric.

Well the series never spelled it out but left it to interpretation, and I think that's fine. One can make the argument that perhaps Dante had something to do with her death. I like to think she just got sick and passed on out of some disease that either wasn't diagnosed and/or the combination of her depression after Hohenheim left. It made for great conflict and drama between Ed and his father that's overcome in the end and Ed learns the anger for his father was misplaced. Its just one of the many ways Ed's pride and ego gets the best of him

I agree TheVileOne. I don't think Dante had anythiing to do with Trisha's death, she didn't seem to know where Hoenhiem had been when they met up later...And agreed on the way that her death (Trisha's) could be a combo of depression and disease. It really did add to the drama of the angst between Ed and his father when they met up...

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Oct 7 2005, 11:06 AM
Post #19

Gallery Mod Emeritus

I think there's a clear implication, if you go back and watch one of the later episodes, that Dante WAS responsible for Trisha's illness. But that's pretty irrelevant.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Oct 7 2005, 11:41 AM
Post #20

Guests

QUOTE(adamclark @ Jul 28 2005, 10:59 AM) [snapback]230178[/snapback]

For instance, in an early episode, Envy says he doesn't remember what his original form was, yet in the end he not only knows it, but remembers his history. And that is just one little one (although I admit there are not a lot of continuity problems).

I am hoping everything is resolved in the movie, but am not completely optimistic. I'll just have to wait about year before i get to see it!

When rewatching the series my interpertation (in an attempt to shrug off the plot hole) was that Envy didn't WANT to remember his old form. He hates his original form because it resembles the one man he despises the most. So I just told myself that he was lying when he shrugged and said "I don't remember!" it's because he doesn't want to.

+Quote Post
Reika
post Oct 7 2005, 11:56 AM
Post #21

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 11,740

I think that when someone doesn't make sense we use to try to come up into conclussion that are not clear and much less confirmed, although it's a possible theory.

--------------------
IPB Image

~My Forum Family~
My little sis-SsleepyAlly
My other little sis XD-Satsuka
My OTHER little sis XD-Seventh Sky
My big sis -Valérie
My Cousin- Azura Elric

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Oct 7 2005, 02:46 PM
Post #22

Guests

QUOTE(Guest @ Oct 7 2005, 11:41 AM) [snapback]296994[/snapback]

QUOTE(adamclark @ Jul 28 2005, 10:59 AM) [snapback]230178[/snapback]

For instance, in an early episode, Envy says he doesn't remember what his original form was, yet in the end he not only knows it, but remembers his history. And that is just one little one (although I admit there are not a lot of continuity problems).

I am hoping everything is resolved in the movie, but am not completely optimistic. I'll just have to wait about year before i get to see it!

When rewatching the series my interpertation (in an attempt to shrug off the plot hole) was that Envy didn't WANT to remember his old form. He hates his original form because it resembles the one man he despises the most. So I just told myself that he was lying when he shrugged and said "I don't remember!" it's because he doesn't want to.

That's what I came up with also.
True or not, it's kind of understandable that way. happy.gif

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Oct 7 2005, 03:19 PM
Post #23

It makes perfect sense that Envy would've lied about that. Since deception seems to be Envy's business.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Oct 8 2005, 01:17 AM
Post #24

Gallery Mod Emeritus

I had this argument with someone a long time ago. It's pretty obvious that Envy was just plain lying.

Of course, this was one of the early scenes that coincided with the manga, and of course, Envy did show his 'true form' in the manga recently, as well, and it was something completely different.

--------------------

+Quote Post
A Song of Storm ...
post Oct 8 2005, 01:39 AM
Post #25

Citizen

Member No.: 22,564

Why didn't Bones just follow the manga instead of going off on their own? Did they just want it over and done with or something? =_=

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Oct 8 2005, 01:59 AM
Post #26

Gallery Mod Emeritus

I knew they did the second part of the series without any kind of help or refference from Arakawa (except Kimbley) and stuff because there are too much changes. Not just in storyline, but in personalities too.

Okay...

For instance, Roy suddenly starts to act like he was the father of Edward. He's always been worried about him.

Okay, why is this wrong? They'd known each other for four years, and they were fighting on the same side all along. It's only natural that Roy would worry about Ed in some way. It's nothing fatherly at all, if you pay close attention. Roy takes charge like a commander who doesn't want to lose a valuable soldier.

What I didn't like about this other half is the fact that they needed to add characters that shouldn't be there, I mean, 2ndary characters that showed their face in the first episodes and didn't have anything important to do but show the beginning, in order to be able to continue and give an ending: Roze, Lyla etc.

Okay, so how is this a continuity problem?

I didn't like either the Roze/Ed that there's in the last episodes. Specially in the last 2. When Dante said "I understand why he fell for you" I was like "huh???!"

Remember that Dante is pretty much deranged. And she doesn't know the real extent of Rose/Ed's relationship.

and when Ed seems so important to her, as if they were really in love I was like "when did that happen??? when Ed tried to convince her her boyfriend wasn't going to live never again and she looked at him with hate and pain? Or when Roze said that she didn't understand him when he said she needed to keep walking??".

Women are attracted to charisma. Ed was at his most charismatic when Rose first encountered him. He was pretty much the strongest man that she knew, so it's pretty logical that she'd be attracted to him.

I recall BONES saying "We may not make Winry appear in the movie because she didn't give much to the anime", and I was like "WTF?!",

It's true. Winry was pretty useless in the anime.

because THEY did make more important Roze in the last episodes, adding Ed/Roze, while they could have change that and add more protagonism to Winry, and more Winry/Ed.

This is retarded logic. Why does there need to be Winry/Ed? To satisfy your fangirlism? There's nothing at any point in the first half of the anime to suggest a romantic relationship between the two. Having them suddenly fall in love and start making babies towards the end would've made a lot less sense than Ed/Rose.

Another idea that,for me, could have been better was the idea of Roy having killed winry's parents. This idea isn't from the other half, but from before, but what bothers me is in the other half, I think the idea itself was good. Episode 43: Winry's continuesly looking bad at Roy, with pain in her eyes and asks him "Answear me! Is this the same as when you killed my parents?!", we are continuesly seeing how she's worried about Ed and how she links that to their parents. (Same impression gave me Shiezska with her continous "and what if you discover anything? (Episode 44)" and "You don't care about anything but raising in the military"), but then in episode 44: Shiezska "I've been all this time wrong about him, I thought he didn't care about Hughes" Winry "I will become... the most respected man of this country. He promised that. that's why he can't do anything with the hatred impulse. He's an adult". And I ask "When did we see that radical change of actitude?

So you thought it would be better if she kept on hatin'? That's pretty shallow. People can change attitudes pretty easily if they think more thoroughly about circumstances. Roy acted on orders when he killed Winry's parents. He was weak back then. Winry saw firsthand his speech about wanting to change the face of the military, and put 2 and 2 together, and concluded that she can't hate him for what he did 8 years earlier. Just because you're not smart enough to wrap your head around this doesn't mean that she can't also be.

Same happens with Ed and Roy, I think their relationship's always been "you are starting to really annoy me~" but there's a way between that and "I hate him to death", which doesn't seem as hard as that when you see how they treat each other in other episodes but 44. It really surprised me and I couldn't agree with that.

You're pretty damn shallow, aren't you?

And there are some more things, not to say the mistakes they made, forgetting some things, and holes (which I'll state in another thread ("Do you hate what BONES did to FMA?"), that make me don't like this other half.

(But what really really bothers me is that they said they would show things in the movie they don't show!!!!! >.<)

In conclusion, what's for me this other half of the series?: I think it's a poor written script, with some good ideas that could have been better developed. They tried to add too much drama without considering some important facts and made it seem rushed because of that and the continuous trying to surprise us in just 25 episodes, making it look as if they took it out under their sleeve in one moment as they were making the animation.
Also, after reading the manga, it gives me the feeling that they tried to end something that was just the beginning, and that they couldn't make a really deep plot in this other half, forgetting the storiline of the first half and leaving it aside and having the need to put secondary characters instead of original ones with their own story.

My personal opinion is that they could have made a stop in the series of a year and then continue with the anime with the manga as support. Or at least consult Arakawa more often, although I have an omake where she said "You are the ones releasing this, not me".

My conclusion is that yours was a poorly thought out rant full of half-baked ideas that added up to little more than an immature viewer who was dissatisfied when she got a nuanced plot after expecting a straightforward one all along.

QUOTE(A Song of Storm and Fire @ Oct 8 2005, 04:39 AM) [snapback]297300[/snapback]

Why didn't Bones just follow the manga instead of going off on their own? Did they just want it over and done with or something? =_=

To piss off people like you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Oct 8 2005, 02:00 AM
Post #27

QUOTE(A Song of Storm and Fire @ Oct 8 2005, 08:39 AM) [snapback]297300[/snapback]

rolleyes.gif

Another ignorant manga purist.

Bones had to make 51 episodes at the time, and Arakawa wasn't even half-way finished with the manga. So they had to make make amendments and go in their own direction.

THE EXACT SAME THING happened with the Trigun anime. Nightow was not even finished with the manga while the anime was being produced, so the anime had to take liberties and go with their own direction for the story since they had only 26 episodes.

I love that they are different since now that the series is finished, when you read the manga you get a different story and a different ending. This makes it both unpredictable and exciting.

Why people complain about trivial crap like this I can't understand.

I doubt there will be another anime series along soon that will be as masterful, beautiful, and emotional as Fullmetal Alchemist.

--------------------

+Quote Post
A Song of Storm ...
post Oct 8 2005, 02:03 AM
Post #28

Citizen

[quote post='297300' date='Oct 8 2005, 04:39 AM' name='A Song of Storm and Fire']
[/quote]
To piss off people like you.
[/quote]

Figures. But I'm not pissed, just curious to why they wrote the anime that way. I rather like the convenience of reading two versions of the same basic story.

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Oct 8 2005, 02:31 AM
Post #29

QUOTE(A Song of Storm and Fire @ Oct 8 2005, 09:03 AM) [snapback]297312[/snapback]

Figures. But I'm not pissed, just curious to why they wrote the anime that way. I rather like the convenience of reading two versions of the same basic story.

I already explained.

Anime = finished

Manga = NOT finished

I tried to make it very simple smile.gif .

--------------------

+Quote Post
A Song of Storm ...
post Oct 8 2005, 12:36 PM
Post #30

Citizen

QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Oct 8 2005, 04:31 AM) [snapback]297326[/snapback]

QUOTE(A Song of Storm and Fire @ Oct 8 2005, 09:03 AM) [snapback]297312[/snapback]

I already explained.

Anime = finished

Manga = NOT finished

I tried to make it very simple smile.gif .

Thank you for being rude about it. I'm not some "ignorant manga purist". Honestly people, are your soul existances based on putting people down in your own fashions? I was not complaining. Maybe you shouldn't assume? I was reading posts with people talking about "oh Bones messed up the anime" blah blah blah. Must I spell it out for you that I like how the anime was written and the differences between it and the manga? I think I already mentioned that.

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2016 - 06:04 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css