Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni, i.e. "When Cicadas Cry/When They Cry"
Guest_Tris the Reaper_*
post Jul 23 2007, 04:48 PM
Post #1

Guests

Higurashi When They Cry (ひぐらしのなく頃に Higurashi no Naku Koro ni) The first anime series, produced by Studio Deen and directed by Chiaki Kon, covers the four question arcs as well as the first two answer arcs. The original Higurashi no Naku Koro ni anime adaptation aired in Japan between April 4 and September 26, 2006, comprising twenty-six episodes.
(Source - Wiki)

Am I the only person here that has bore witness to this amazing, yet at times, utterly confusing series?

It's an anime based off a series of visual novels that were released through 2002 to 2006. The anime came out last year and the first season clocks in at 26 episodes, while the second season, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai, just started airing in Japan this month.

And since I suck at explaining plots, I'll quote Wikipedia's summary of it.

QUOTE (Wikipedia)
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni takes place during June 1983, at a fictional rural village called Hinamizawa (雛見沢, Hinamizawa) (based on the village of Shirakawa, Gifu, a World Heritage Site), which has a population of approximately 2000. The main character, Keiichi Maebara, moves to Hinamizawa and befriends his new classmates Rena Ryugu, Mion Sonozaki, Rika Furude, and Satoko Hojo. Keiichi joins their after-school club activities, which consist mostly of card and board games (and punishment games for the loser, usually him.) Hinamizawa appears to be a normal, peaceful, rural village to Keiichi. However, the tranquility abruptly ends after the annual Watanagashi Festival, a celebration to commemorate and give thanks to the local god, Oyashiro-sama. Keiichi learns that for the past four years, one person has been murdered and another has gone missing on the day of the Watanagashi Festival. Keiichi himself soon becomes implicated into the strange events surrounding the Watanagashi Festival and Oyashiro-sama. In each story arc, he or one of his friends become paranoid, and a crime is committed. Usually, the crime involves the murder of one of their own friends. While it seems impossible to tell their delusions apart from the mystery of Hinamizawa, slowly the truth is revealed.

Genres: drama, horror, mystery, psychological, thriller
Themes: death, gore, harem, moe, troublesome kids, twins
Episodes: 24
Age Rating:
Mature Intense (graphic depictions of sex, drug use, or bloodshed)
(Source: ANN)

I've seen up to episode 17, and am having extreme trouble refraining myself from watching more -- it's addicting as heck. Once I get the funds, I definately want to pick up the DVDs.

Also, this anime is not for the kiddies -- depictions of gruesome murder [some of which was actually "darkened out" when aired on Japanese television] abound. It made me flinch on numerous occasions, something which rarely happens to me when it comes down to it.

*hopes the thread doesn't die*
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nekokitty
post Jul 23 2007, 05:46 PM
Post #2

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 36,425

Oooh, oooh pick me!
I've only seen the first four episodes, but so far it's amazing.
I'm trying to avoid watching it online because it's liscensed and I'd rather purchase the dvds.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Tris the Reaper_*
post Jul 23 2007, 05:58 PM
Post #3

Guests

OHMYGODAPOST *DIES*

Mmmyeah, I wanna buy the DVDs myself [I'm one of the few that perfers dubs over subs], but I currently lack the funds. Plus I'm too far into the series now, so stopping watching where I am now would make me wonder WTF will happen next.

[Plus, the second season is, as of yet, unlicensed to my knowledge, so...yeah >>]

+Quote Post
Nekokitty
post Jul 23 2007, 06:04 PM
Post #4

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 36,425

I'd skip to the second season but then I'd feel like I'm cheating. TwT

Sigh...then again I saw the entire Elfen Lied series online so I guess it wouldn't hurt to watch the rest of Higurashi and when the boxed sets come out, I can purchase them.
I want to hear the dub as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Blitz
post Jul 23 2007, 06:31 PM
Post #5

Major General

Member No.: 18,681

My brother's been obsessed with this series as of late. I saw the first episode of Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. Bloody as hell. XD

--------------------

just an ordinary kind of happy
Graphics by BlitzDeviantArt

+Quote Post
Ailuro
post Jul 24 2007, 05:56 PM
Post #6

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 665

I love this series. Nuff said.

--------------------
- Ailuro "Deshi" Oz
- Moderator Emeritus -

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Jul 24 2007, 06:05 PM
Post #7

Gallery Mod Emeritus

From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

I've downloaded it but haven't started watching yet. Gotta get through Mai-HiME first... if I can tolerate it...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Jul 24 2007, 06:12 PM
Post #8

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

So is it just cute girls wiggin' out or does it have something better going for it.
Don't get me wrong, cute girls wiggin' out is pretty cool but the character designs look rather poor and reviews I've read had mixed feelings about it.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Guest_Tris the Reaper_*
post Jul 24 2007, 06:39 PM
Post #9

Guests

QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Jul 24 2007, 08:12 PM) *
So is it just cute girls wiggin' out or does it have something better going for it.
Don't get me wrong, cute girls wiggin' out is pretty cool but the character designs look rather poor and reviews I've read had mixed feelings about it.

Cute girls wigging out, but IMO, it's got a good mystery to it to try to figure out. The series "resets" itself every 2-6 episodes and presents a murder in a different presentation. The arcs all connect somehow, it's just up to the viewer to figure out. The second season is supposed to answer a majority of the questions.

If what I read is true, though, then June 1983 is on an eternal repeat for some reason. Though why, I dunno. Then again that was found on Wiki, so its credibility can be questioned.

You'll either love it for it's shock value and as it constantly keeps you guessing, or you'll hate it for being confusing and an poor character designs. I've seen more people like it than not, so who knows.

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Jul 27 2007, 11:24 PM
Post #10

Gallery Mod Emeritus

DEADLYYYYYYY LOOOOOOLIIIIIIIIS!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Tris the Reaper_*
post Jul 28 2007, 10:37 PM
Post #11

Guests

I should totally edit my first post and put that as my summary and see if I can get away with it.

In other, related news, I just finished the first season today, and the second looks very promising~

*goes to watch episode three of KAI*

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Jul 28 2007, 11:37 PM
Post #12

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

QUOTE(Tris the Reaper @ Jul 29 2007, 06:37 AM) *
I should totally edit my first post and put that as my summary and see if I can get away with it.

In other, related news, I just finished the first season today, and the second looks very promising~

*goes to watch episode three of KAI*

From what I've heard you should keep your eyes peeled for ghost images or Hayuu (or whatever her name is).
Not sure if that's a spoiler or not...I've only seen on cap of it though so far and it could easily be a shoop.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Jul 29 2007, 02:12 PM
Post #13

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Man, if they didn't darken some of these scenes, this show would probably qualify as all-out guro. I'm really glad they showed some restraint in the scene where Shion stabs Satoko about 2 dozen times blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Tris the Reaper_*
post Jul 29 2007, 02:15 PM
Post #14

Guests

^ I actually saw a screencap of Satoko after Shion delievered the final blow undarkened...it's surprisngly not as bad as compared to events later episodes, such as where Rena beats her father's "girlfriend" to death with a baseball bat, among other things. Haven't seen that undarkened, but I dunno if I want to at this point. mellow.gif

Still, it's sad to see someone so young die, even if it's in an anime. Though I kinda thought it was hilarious where Shion peed herself after remembering that Satoshi told her to take care of Satoko XD

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Jul 29 2007, 02:22 PM
Post #15

Gallery Mod Emeritus

On a lighter note, I think Rika might be related to Suiseiseiseiseiseiseiseiseiseki somehow... desu...

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2016 - 09:52 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css