HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Transmutation circles in FMA, How do they work? Explaining transmutation circles found in FMA, Questions welcome! :)
Nature Path Alch...
post Mar 19 2011, 02:28 PM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 78,623

This thread is here to allow people to understand how trasmutation circles work, and how they channel the energy into this world.
let's start with Alphonse's seal

ignore the outside ring and the 'squiggle' coming down and you have the symbol for creation, while the 'squiggle' is actually a symbol for the soul, so basically, it means a created soul. this is core to the series as alphonse's existence is questioned throughout the early parts of the series, even his shortened name as spoken in japanese 'Aru' is displaying this, as 'aru' means to exist in japanese, but as an object, while 'iru' is reserved for people in this manner.

if anyone else wants a different transmutation circle explained feel free to post a request with either a picture of the circle, or a description of where it is found and who uses it.

--------------------

These 4 elements build the world we live in. in transmutation circles these are used for two things:
1:controlling the element
2:looking AWESOME
Get your own transmutation circle made by posting a request on the thread here
If you have attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an
array, copy and paste this in your signature.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Mar 20 2011, 02:37 PM
Post #2

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

Great thread, Nature Path Alchemist! It's awesome that you can explain the transmutation circles in FMA!

Could you explain how the circle on Roy's gloves work? And can a salamander image actually be used in a transmutation circle? smile.gif

Sorry, this is probably a really simple question. But this seems like a great thread to compile interpretations on any/all transmutation circles in FMA, and we have to start somewhere. tongue.gif happy.gif

Amazing explanation of Al's seal, by the way!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nature Path Alch...
post Mar 21 2011, 02:13 AM
Post #3

Citizen

Thanks laugh.gif
anyway, take a look at roy's circle:

This circle's inner circle is simply to support the obvious emblem of fire at the top, but the most interesting thing is that the four outer triangles are doubles of the symbols for earth, pointing downward, and air, pointing upward, key elements of fire (air is required to burn, earth is the fuel) the center triangle is another symbol of fire.
the salamander at the bottom is yet another symbol of fire, but may also be a representation of roy mustang nature in the anime. salamaders are linked to fire because they slept in rotting logs, which when set alight would cause the salamander to rush out, making people believe they are born of fire. just like this, mustang's personality seems as if it is born from fire, as he becomes angry and uses his alchemy as much as is possible, and wishes to in a way "burn through" to the top.
the salamander can be used in circles, but simply as an addition, and is simply their as an enchancement, though, not an essential part of it. additionally, the salamander could show that the fire is created or born, like the salamander was believed to be, as mustang seems to generate his flames from nothing, even though he creates initial sparks, as possibly an amplifier to retain the sparks for their use as a flame.

did I ramble a bit?
sorry if it's too long

--------------------

These 4 elements build the world we live in. in transmutation circles these are used for two things:

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Mar 23 2011, 11:42 AM
Post #4

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

Wow! Thank you for the awesome explanation of Roy's Flame Alchemy transmutation circle. I like how you've also likened the image of the salamander to his character, too. happy.gif

I think it's time we get another great explanation of another transmutation circle! How about Armstrong's transmutation circle on his glove/knuckle-duster thingies. (Yes, a really technical phrase there! ;P)

This is the only image I could find of it. (You may have a better image.happy.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nature Path Alch...
post Mar 25 2011, 12:41 AM
Post #5

Citizen

this ones a bit clearer to see the circle:

anyway, Armstrong's circle is a very interesting one. the text in the middle vaguely resembles the word "louis" but spelled"lulis" which is close to the japanese writing of louis. the triangle in the centre seems to act as a method of stabilizing the 3 small symbols around it, which while not clear, seem to represent salt, sulphur, and mercury, the 3 elements that make up the building blocks of our world according to traditional alchemy. the text around the outside is indistinguishable, but may be words to represent a family heirloom or skill channeled by those words, including a possible explanation for the middle symbols, as it may be a customised text in old language, especially as it is repeatedly boasted that the skill was passed down through "...the Armstrong family for generations." This may also signify that the families circle has been passed down for generations, as it would be key to the skill. as a result, this circle is seemingly indecipherable to a heavy level, but can be distinguished to the point of controlling most matter, and having some unique power that has been used for a long time. also, it appears that it allows high control over the shape of matter, and is very flexible to the user, as Alex Louis Armstrong often transmutes accurate versions of himself into what he changes. this is unusual, however, as such a degree of accuracy would require a symbol of gold, possibly in the outer ring or a meaning of the centre.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaiShadowAlchemi...
post Mar 26 2011, 07:07 PM
Post #6

Alchemists

Member No.: 47,159

What about Kimbley's trasmutation circles?

--------------------

(\_/) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your
(O.o) signature to help him on his way to
(><) world domination.

+Quote Post
Nature Path Alch...
post Mar 27 2011, 03:14 AM
Post #7

Citizen

allright, first of all, consider the symbols here. fire and water, gold and silver it appears at first glance, but what is interesting is if you fuse them together as in when he "claps" his hands together to complete the circle. what makes this very different is that while the triangles would represent fire and water, together(crossed) they represent all matter. in addition, the combination of the middle symbls make a very interesting symbol. when balanced together they represent a balance of light and dark, perfection and imperfection, life and death. but they can also mean, as is the case here, they represent creation - specifically of effects - and destruction. this fits with explosives so well because what do you make? an explosion. that destroys everything. it fits together, and is a fairly simple circle to understand if you know the symbolism.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaiShadowAlchemi...
post Mar 27 2011, 06:04 PM
Post #8

Alchemists

Member No.: 47,159

O-O Awesome!! Thanks!!! (I'll deffinetly look for more XD)

--------------------

(\_/) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your
(O.o) signature to help him on his way to
(><) world domination.

+Quote Post
Reaction Alchemi...
post Apr 4 2011, 11:03 AM
Post #9

Citizen

Member No.: 79,430

Even though This is not from The show I'm curious.I am pretty sure It uses correct alchemical symbols.It looks cool so please Dechiper It for me! laugh.gif

Attached File  Transmutation_picture.jpg ( 2.79K ) Number of downloads: 30

--------------------
Transmute The air Around the target Into hydrogen Then Create a Spark and use It to ignite The hydrogen.
That is how To make things Go boom.

FMA
If you have attempted alchemy by clapping your
hands, snapping, or drawing an array, copy and
paste this into your signature

+Quote Post
Nature Path Alch...
post Apr 5 2011, 03:59 AM
Post #10

Citizen

I'm not sure if you did this right, what were you attempting?
oh well, I'll decipher what i can.

I'm getting a lot of fire symbolism, but one is centered by a symbol for gold, so could represent a "perfect flame". in addition there are symbols for air and earth that represent the fuel of the flame, but the moon symbol represents silver, in this case the soul i believe. generally i believe this is a circle to purify the soul by burning the sins, but i must say you would have to go through all the pain you have caused for that. so basically it is the power of judgment, to burn the souls of those who have sinned.

Is this what you were aiming for? it's what i go from an observation.

if you had an alternate meaning you were trying to convey maybe post a request on my forum topic in fanart (there is a link in my sig).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Reaction Alchemi...
post Apr 5 2011, 12:28 PM
Post #11

Citizen

Sorry For not being clear,I found It On the internet And Had no idea What it meant so I hoped you could explain it.THx for explaining and The fast reply. laugh.gif
oh and I got in contact with The guy who made this.Your theory wasn't right.Its a General transmutation circle.

----

Attached File  Golem_Array_v2_0_by_Azerik92.jpg ( 112.54K ) Number of downloads: 28

Attached File  murdoch_bullet_arrays_by_azerik92_d32i5lh.jpeg ( 425.13K ) Number of downloads: 22

Attached File  universal_spike_array_by_azerik92_d3007a3.jpeg ( 571.93K ) Number of downloads: 19

See if you can Deschiper these three.This Time I actualy know what they Do but I wanna see if you know.The 2nd and 3rd Are HARD!!!!WHAHAHA

--------------------
Transmute The air Around the target Into hydrogen Then Create a Spark and use It to ignite The hydrogen.

FMA

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Apr 9 2011, 02:20 PM
Post #12

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

<Program Note>

@Reaction Alchemist - I merged your post. It's all right (actually, recommended) to use "+ EDIT" button at the bottom right part of your post and add your new content to your previous post, if your last post on the thread was the lastly posed post of that thread. biggrin.gif

Also...
QUOTE (Reaction Alchemist @ Apr 5 2011, 03:28 PM) *
This Time I actualy know what they Do but I wanna see if you know.The 2nd and 3rd Are HARD!!!!WHAHAHA

From what I understand, this thread is for Nature Path Alchemist to kindly help our members understand, with his knowledge, how Alchemy circles we see in FMA work, and not a thread for testing his knowledge by challenging him to decipher whatever the alchemy circles we find on the Web. tongue.gif If possible, please stick to discussing about FMA alchemy circles.
Else, as suggested by Nature Path Alchemist, please post it in Fanworks forum. smile.gif
(Besides, if you already know the meaning of these circles you posted, please go ahead and POST and EXPLAIN how they work. laugh.gif
And then, maybe you can ask Nature Path Alchemist his opinion on those or if he has anything to add? Perhaps that would be more courteous and productive way to share the knowledge. smile.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
Reaction Alchemi...
post Apr 9 2011, 10:56 PM
Post #13

Citizen

======Tombow
QUOTE (Tombow @ Apr 9 2011, 02:20 PM) *
<Program Note>

@Reaction Alchemist - I merged your post. It's all right (actually, recommended) to use "+ EDIT" button at the bottom right part of your post and add your new content to your previous post, if your last post on the thread was the lastly posed post of that thread. biggrin.gif

Also...
QUOTE (Reaction Alchemist @ Apr 5 2011, 03:28 PM) *
This Time I actualy know what they Do but I wanna see if you know.The 2nd and 3rd Are HARD!!!!WHAHAHA

From what I understand, this thread is for Nature Path Alchemist to kindly help our members understand, with his knowledge, how Alchemy circles we see in FMA work, and not a thread for testing his knowledge by challenging him to decipher whatever the alchemy circles we find on the Web. tongue.gif If possible, please stick to discussing about FMA alchemy circles.
Else, as suggested by Nature Path Alchemist, please post it in Fanworks forum. smile.gif
(Besides, if you already know the meaning of these circles you posted, please go ahead and POST and EXPLAIN how they work. laugh.gif
And then, maybe you can ask Nature Path Alchemist his opinion on those or if he has anything to add? Perhaps that would be more courteous and productive way to share the knowledge. smile.gif )

oh Okay, Thank you.I'll Make sure To Edit and to post in the right Fourms! happy.gif
======General People
I did not make These so I cannot Explain The Innerworkings,feel Free to Post Them if you find out!
The first one Is a transmutation circle For making gollums(Not Gollum From lord of the Rings biggrin.gif )
The second one Is A Remote Transmutation circle(s).The One With The black arrows is The Sender.
The One with white arrows is The reciever.The person gave an example,Put The reciever On the back Of The bullet
and The sender on the gun Shoot It Then activate The transmutation circle To get...Lets Just Say Epicly Lethal.
The last transmutation circle Is a universal Spike Transmutation.As Long as its Solid(Or mabye not?)It can Create a spike from it.
That about sums it up.Bye smile.gif

--------------------

FMA

+Quote Post
Vapper
post Apr 20 2011, 07:53 PM
Post #14

Citizen

Member No.: 80,138

could you explain this one?

+Quote Post
Nature Path Alch...
post Apr 21 2011, 01:17 AM
Post #15

Citizen

QUOTE (Vapper @ Apr 21 2011, 12:23 PM) *

could you explain this one?

Ah, a classic

This has actually been done many times on the internet, and is identifiable as the human transmutation circle used by edward and alphonse elric trying to revive their mother. It works because each of the elements symbols represents a part of the human body (the outer ones), with one missing. I would do this but there is one i found a while ago that does it much better than i could, as a full analysis has been done on every aspect. it can be found At this site : http://rurushu.wordpress.com/2010/09/02/al...utation-circle/

Hope this helps (this is just such a big one to do and this was a much better explanation that i found)

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2016 - 03:20 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css